Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 42
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Jun 17, 5:45 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thank you for your help, I will put more on the card and withdraw some over there, can you use it in all atm's please?
    Cheers
    Originally posted by duffs54
    Yes, but remember that over 230€ you'll be charged 2% for further ATM withdrawals.
    Metro Bank debit or Monzo are probably better for holidays.
    • Mumkin
    • By Mumkin 9th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mumkin
    Sainsbury's Cash Passport Card
    HI WAYT and thanks for your reply. I am slightly concerned by the low level of maximum monthly withdrawals on the Monzo card, and also perhaps by the fact that the bank is new.
    Additionally, as I will be travelling in Western Australia, the fact that it's app based, means I will be reliant upon mobile phone/wifi signals to access/top-up - which is sometimes not possible, given the remoteness of parts of the state!
    But I guess it's true with all these pre-paid cards - they all have pros and cons, dependent upon how much you will use them etc etc.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Jun 17, 7:27 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    HI WAYT and thanks for your reply. I am slightly concerned by the low level of maximum monthly withdrawals on the Monzo card, and also perhaps by the fact that the bank is new.
    Additionally, as I will be travelling in Western Australia, the fact that it's app based, means I will be reliant upon mobile phone/wifi signals to access/top-up - which is sometimes not possible, given the remoteness of parts of the state!
    But I guess it's true with all these pre-paid cards - they all have pros and cons, dependent upon how much you will use them etc etc.
    Originally posted by Mumkin
    Get one Monzo and one Loot card if you want prepaid. Then you have higher ATM withdrawal amounts. £1000 from Monzo and £3000 from Loot.io(ATM withdrawals: £0 for the first two each month, £1 each withdrawal thereafter) after account verification.

One doesn't have to pay cash for everything.

Otherwise Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, Santander Zero or Barclaycard Travel Platinum CCs are useful for travel.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Jun 17, 3:16 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    eDicky
    Originally posted by Mumkin
    In such locations there may also be limited opportunity or need to use money. Your Clarity card has a lot of capacity for ATM withdrawals. In any case it's not wise to rely on any one card when travelling. Your normal bank card would probably be cheaper to use than a Sainsbury Cash Passport.
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 10th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    Yes, but remember that over 230€ you'll be charged 2% for further ATM withdrawals.
    Metro Bank debit or Monzo are probably better for holidays.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    I really only want to use it for shopping and meals, cafe's and bars we will use cash, so I will put on half and half then we are covered.

Towards end of hols, use the cash up as a priority.

Thanks x
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 11:24 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    I really only want to use it for shopping and meals, cafe's and bars we will use cash, so I will put on half and half then we are covered.

Towards end of hols, use the cash up as a priority.

Thanks x
    What does that actually mean?

Don't bother to get Euros in the UK. Just take the 225€ out of the ATM on arrival. Then only use cash when necessary. If you run out of cash, using Revolut to take cash out of an ATM won't be more expensive than obtaining Euros in the UK, even with the 2% charge.
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 12th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    What does that actually mean?

Don't bother to get Euros in the UK. Just take the 225€ out of the ATM on arrival. Then only use cash when necessary. If you run out of cash, using Revolut to take cash out of an ATM won't be more expensive than obtaining Euros in the UK, even with the 2% charge.
    So getting Euro's in France is cheaper then?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 12th Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    So getting Euro's in France is cheaper then?
    Getting Euros from an ATM in France using the right plastic is the cheapest and best way.
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 13th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    Getting Euros from an ATM in France using the right plastic is the cheapest and best way.
    Does this include other cards then my sis is asking , she normally takes a Halifax credit card as there are no fees on foreign exchange. shes got an excellent credit rating lol
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 13th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    Just another quick question, is the Revolute card ok to use at French petrol stations please?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    Does this include other cards then my sis is asking , she normally takes a Halifax credit card as there are no fees on foreign exchange. shes got an excellent credit rating lol
    If it is the Halifax Clarity, yes. She just needs to clear the card as soon as possible in order to avoid paying interest. No need to wait for the bill to be produced.

Also works for the Creation Everyday, Santander Zero, Barclay Travel Platinum credit cards and varied other debit and prepaid cards.
    • Bryan83
    • By Bryan83 13th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bryan83
    Hi,

I'm after some advice, I'm going travelling, going to south America then making my way up through central America, into the states then from the states over to Australia.

I'm unsure which is the best card/cards to get, I was thinking of the Halifax clarity card and also the monzo, but am I right in thinking you can only spend up to £1000 a month on the monzo? I'm not sure that I can stick to that as I will be using the card for everything, also the Halifax clarity card charges to withdraw cash?
    Are they the two best for my situation? I want more of a debit type card than a credit card.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 11:25 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    Just another quick question, is the Revolute card ok to use at French petrol stations please?
    https://community.revolut.com/t/non-present-transactions/652
    https://community.revolut.com/t/buying-petrol-at-an-automated-petrol-station/1168/3
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    Hi,

I'm after some advice, I'm going travelling, going to south America then making my way up through central America, into the states then from the states over to Australia.

I'm unsure which is the best card/cards to get, I was thinking of the Halifax clarity card and also the monzo, but am I right in thinking you can only spend up to £1000 a month on the monzo? I'm not sure that I can stick to that as I will be using the card for everything, also the Halifax clarity card charges to withdraw cash?
    Are they the two best for my situation? I want more of a debit type card than a credit card.

Originally posted by Bryan83
    Loot.io allows up to £3000 per month. Would be useful to have a VISA card too, but the https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp is soon switching to Mastercard.

Just cover your spends/withdrawals on the Clarity immediately or asap to avoid having to pay interest.
    • Stew68
    • By Stew68 13th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 1,576 Thanks
    Stew68
    Hi,

I think you can only draw out cash up to £1000 a month but you can spend however much you like.

I spent over £1000.00 last month on mine without any problem at all.

Hope that helps.
    • Bryan83
    • By Bryan83 13th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bryan83
    Thanks wayt for getting back so soon, does the loot.io charge cash withdrawals? Yes I will make sure I take a visa card aswell.

What do you mean cover my spends/withdrawals on the clarity card? I don't have one yet but am thinking of getting one, what with I have to pay interest on?

Thanks stew68
    so you drew £1000 cash but could still pay for things on the card although you'd taken the max cash out?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    eDicky
    am I right in thinking you can only spend up to £1000 a month on the monzo?
    No, that's the monthly cash withdrawal limit. Spending is not limited except for the £1000 maximum single card payment.

For an additional debit card try the new 'mobile only' Starling Bank, no fees for foreign use, funds can be added any time by FP or bank debit card. It's been working well for me.

https://www.starlingbank.com/
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 13th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    duffs54
    Thank you again WAYT.

Think I will give them a miss.

Cheers
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thank you again WAYT.

Think I will give them a miss.

Cheers
    You 'll have the same issue with all prepaid cards. So stick with one of the credit cards above and/or get a Metro Bank Debit card disbursed on the spot. If not close to that area, perhaps the Virgin Money Essential Current Account It's a Basic account without overdraft. So no issues to obtaining it, even with a poor credit record.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thanks wayt for getting back so soon, does the loot.io charge cash withdrawals? Yes I will make sure I take a visa card aswell.

What do you mean cover my spends/withdrawals on the clarity card? I don't have one yet but am thinking of getting one, what with I have to pay interest on?

Thanks stew68
    so you drew £1000 cash but could still pay for things on the card although you'd taken the max cash out?
    Two free ATM withdrawals per month. £1 per ATM withdrawal above that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,309Posts Today

8,673Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin