Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide
    • 28th May 15, 11:15 AM
    0 WOW
    Prepaid Travel Cards guide 28th May 15 at 11:15 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 37
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th Mar 17, 3:23 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    I am going to Australia with my partner for 3 weeks. We want pre paid travel cards as our debit cards are not recommended. We have no credit cards and would not be able to get any with very poor credit history. We want 2 cards (1 account). Who is best for this. I am NOT in London so that rules one of them out, sorry don't remember which as my head is cabbaged with everything I've been reading. TYIA
    Originally posted by Bunji
    If you use smartphones you can both sign up for Monzo, via the link in the MSE article to jump the queue. Separate accounts but you can send each other money. Always have a backup, Revolut, Loot, your regular debit cards.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th Mar 17, 3:32 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    Warning for the post office travel money card .
    Originally posted by User2020
    Did your son travel with no other source of funds? That's an even worse mistake than choosing a card such as the one from PO. Assuming smartphone use, in future choose a modern solution from the MSE advice.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards
    • Timwilson08
    • By Timwilson08 11th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Timwilson08
    Has anyone came across EasyFX card? Seems like a great card but I don't see any reviews on the web for it which makes me suspicious? Any info would be great. Thanks
    • maabma
    • By maabma 15th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maabma
    I have a small balance left in my WeSwap card after holiday, wish to use up balance, tried a couple of local shops but was not accepted.
    Would anyone who has successfully use the card at home(UK), please let me know which UK shops accept them as payment?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by maabma; 15-03-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    I have a small balance left in my WeSwap card after holiday, wish to use up balance, tried a couple of local shops but was not accepted.
    Would anyone who has successfully use the card at home(UK), please let me know which UK shops accept them as payment?
    Originally posted by maabma
    Is your money on the card in pounds? What happens when you try to pay with it? (I don't use WeSwap.)
    • Ingers64
    • By Ingers64 16th Mar 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ingers64
    Best pre-loaded card to use
    Hi, a group of 6 mates are going to Portugal and want to add £250 each to a pre loaded card to save taking cash. We will be using it to buy meals, food, fuel etc. Any suggestions on the best one available please.

Mark
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Mar 17, 8:50 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    Hi, a group of 6 mates are going to Portugal and want to add £250 each to a pre loaded card to save taking cash. We will be using it to buy meals, food, fuel etc. Any suggestions on the best one available please.
    Originally posted by Ingers64
    It would not be wise to have six people put their money on a single card, even if it were possible, if that's what you mean. Each should take their own. If one is lost or fails somehow, it's not a total disaster. Look at Revolut or Monzo, funds can be sent between users instantly and Revolut has a bill sharing function.
    • maabma
    • By maabma 16th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maabma
    Reply to eDicky.
    Is your money on the card in pounds? What happens when you try to pay with it? (I don't use WeSwap.)
    Yes, money is in pounds
    Card not accepted in the shops I tried.
    Last edited by maabma; 16-03-2017 at 10:25 PM.
    • Jean1953
    • By Jean1953 17th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jean1953
    Hi, Has anyone else experienced problems with the Revolut app due to being unable to download the latest app version? Be warned, I have an Iphone 4 and without any notice the app was updated but isn't now supported by my phone. I can now do nothing except check my balance. I can't use any other features such as change of address, increasing top-up limits, currency exchanges or contact the support team. There are no phone numbers to ring but I managed to contact someone via facebook but they could only deal with very basic matters such as blocking cards. Otherwise I loved the app.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    Card not accepted in the shops I tried.
    Originally posted by maabma
    I was actually wondering whether it failed in the payment terminal or the shop assistant did not accept it when you asked. It should work anywhere that MasterCard is accepted, including UK. Also you could perhaps use it to load a different prepaid card such as Revolut or Loot, it would cost nothing to try.
    • BananaRiley
    • By BananaRiley 18th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BananaRiley
    Best card for teenagers abroad
    Hi all, my 14 yr old daughter is going to the USA in April and I was wondering which is the best card to get her to use which I can preload with spending money. Thanks in advance
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    Hi all, my 14 yr old daughter is going to the USA in April and I was wondering which is the best card to get her to use which I can preload with spending money.
    Originally posted by BananaRiley
    Soldo provides supplementary cards for minors and good value for overseas use. Monthly fee begins after three months. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

https://family.soldo.com/en-uk/c/family/
    • Mee
    • By Mee 21st Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Mee
    Please to read about free FairFx card renewals:

As of May 20th, 2017, the following changes will come into effect:
    • A reduction in the refund charge for your active cards from £10/$10/€10 to £5/$5/€5 – making it cheaper to unload your card.
    • A reduction in the card renewal fee - previously £5.95, now free
    • Introduction of an administration fee of £2/$3/€2.50 per month for expired cards with leftover balances. This reflects costs we are charged for cards that expire without having balances cleared.
    • The “out of currency fee” for the Euro and US Dollar cards will increase to 1.75%. This is charged when you use the cards in a different currency to what is held on the card. This does not affect the GBP Everywhere card.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 21st Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    Please to read about free FairFx card renewals:
    Originally posted by Mee
    Thanks for the info. FairFX seem to be trying harder to retain customers now that better alternatives are available.

The 'refund charge' for unloading your card can be avoided by using it to top-up a Revolut account, which can then be withdrawn without fee. It may also work with Monzo or Loot.
    • Michelle14
    • By Michelle14 22nd Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Michelle14
    Bali Travel Card
    Hey guys,

I wondered if anyone has had a experience with prepaid travel cards around Indonesia. I'm holidaying in Bali this May and as the currency is massively different to GBP this will mean having loads of cash, which I don't really feel comfortable with.

Any advice really appreciated.

Many thanks,

Shelley x
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 22nd Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    the currency is massively different to GBP this will mean having loads of cash,
    Originally posted by Michelle14
    Perhaps you refer to the largest Indonesian banknote, Rp.100,000 being equal to £6, which might lead to a bulky pocketful. But apart from normal precaution there's no real need to worry about personal security in Bali, which is unique compared to the other predominantly Moslem parts of Indonesia. ATMs are widespread and do not charge for withdrawals, so there is no need to take out a large amount at a time. Prepaid cards work fine for withdrawals and for purchases where accepted, which is most shops and restaurants except rural or wayside warungs etc. Revolut, Monzo and Loot are the current best value options.
    • ianrhammy
    • By ianrhammy 5th Apr 17, 10:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ianrhammy
    Why does no one mention the CaxtonFX prepaid card? I've been using it for years with no problems at all. Very good dollar and Euro rates, nice people at the end of the phone!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Apr 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    Why does no one mention the CaxtonFX prepaid card? I've been using it for years with no problems at all. Very good dollar and Euro rates, nice people at the end of the phone!
    Originally posted by ianrhammy
    Their rates are simply not competitive, when there are now cards that give straight MasterCard or interbank rates without fees.
    • amacg09
    • By amacg09 10th Apr 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    amacg09
    Best Travel Card
    Hi,

I am looking for your advice re travel cards. I am going to France and I am stuck between WeSwap and FairFX. I will probably not use for paying for things but for taking out money.

I like the idea of WeSwap but FairFX have better reviews. Any advice, Thanks.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 11th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    I like the idea of WeSwap but FairFX have better reviews. Any advice, Thanks.
    Originally posted by amacg09
    Instead of either of them I would prefer Revolut, Monzo or Loot or all three, to avoid fees, less than perfect exchange rates, and being stuck with leftover unused euros. I would use the cards for purchases whenever possible and take some cash pounds for exchange just in case their fee-free withdrawal limits were insufficient. Loot has the most generous withdrawal limits, but don't rely on only one card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,396Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin