Thursday 28 May 2015, what small dfw stuff will you do today?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important:):)

Comments

• maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi

First time I have started us off for months. Hope everyone has a good day.

Today I am turning the corner, realise I need to adjust to my new post poorly body and get back to doing stuff like money and small things.

Today I will:
    go to work
    watch Martin Lewis
    review life insurance
    sort dd savings that were in our name and are now in the process of becoming hers.About time she is 20.
    I will have a good day.
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all!

Slapped hand for me for not posting yesterday!

Today I have/will:-
    * Check bank (£50 from RAC has gone in following my complaint!)
    * Make last payment to parents!
    * Update spreadsheet, snowball and signature
    * Take lunch to work - however had to be in work early and didn't have time to make a sandwich so will need to grab one later as don't think just fruit and yogurt will see me through
    * Check FPL
    * Earn more on OnePoll
    * Earn more SBs
    * Dinner from stores
    * Go to zumba
    * Wash hair and let dry naturally

That's everything I can think off for now. Hope you all have a good day!
    Starting again..
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning all. Sorry for not posting yesterday, I had an 'aaaarrrgghhh' day and shut off from the world. On the plus side I went to bed at 10pm which is uber early for me and slept throught to 6am. I'm feeling very refreshed right now (that said I haven't seen my boss yet this morning, lol)

I have a work do tonight so spends expected there but have my lunch and breakfast with me.

Mr Shortie is due to sort our car insurance today which should save us around £200 on the renewal

Read back over yesterday and was very inspired by all the payday budgetting going on

Hope all goea well with your scan Bob

Have a good day all
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • 1HANNAH
    1HANNAH Posts: 855 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2015 at 12:59PM
    Good morning all.

Thanks for the start Maria have a good day.
    Twiggy, your signature looks great ;)
    Shortie, glad you got a good nights sleep

Another morning with the kids up at the pool this morning, ds2 swimming lesson at 9.30 and ds1 kayaking at 10am. Will take drink & apples with me so that we don't spend there.
    Ds2 finally learnt to ride his bike yesterday but is still a bit wobbly so hoping to get back out on their bikes later too. My dad has asked if we want to play tennis (free in the park) later also (ds1 has normal swimming lesson tonight too so not sure what we will actually get done but will update later)

So far I have
    checked banking/updated spreadsheets (moved money around ready for the cc payment tomorrow)
    Put a 30 degree daily wash cycle on
    Breakfast was ys fruit[STRIKE][STRIKE] tree[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] TEA cakes
    Wiped round the kitchen
    Done a bit of swagging

right that's it for now, better get ready to go :) Have a good day all
    Following :money: to keep us debt free :j
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for starting us off Maria. Glad to hear you are getting there on the health front :)

Twiggy, your signature is so inspiring, hope new posters look at it and think ' I could do that too!' :D

Right, list for today:
    Move frozen food from kitchen fridge freezer to the conservatory freezer which I defrosted yesterday (done)

Defrost kitchen freezer (in progress), wipe it out and switch it on to get cold again

More work on accounts / HMRC stuff. I made quite a bit of progress yesterday, but still more to do. Can't wait to get it all to the accountant and that will be that until next April - apart from paying tax bills that is - but they won't be much (cos we don't earn much :rotfl:)

Do a load of washing and dry outside

Ocado delivery arriving this evening - must add items to the shiny new freezer inventory before I pop them in! Ocado have lots of offers on half price meat at the moment, so I am taking advantage and restocking a bit :)

Hoover a bit, as we have crumbs from baby GD yesterday, and dog hairs (from dog obviously) and it looks messy on my large, plain coloured rug

Water pots in back garden, sow some more radish seeds

Clean chicken house (didn't get to this yesterday :o)

Try to pop down to sales unit later. I had two nice sales yesterday, so must see what else I can take down. I have already taken the extra side table that has been cluttering up the dining room :) Hopefully it will sell quickly - it is a proper antique, very pretty and I would have kept it, if I didn't have enough tables already :eek:

Right, better mop up a bit more in the kitchen. Hope everyone has a good day :)
  • Callisto
    Callisto Posts: 928 Forumite
    Good morning all,

Feeling a bit down due to lack of money at the moment.

Sister is visiting parents today, so I will nip over to parents house as well, hopefully they will cheer me up! Will also save on petrol as was thinking of visiting sister as haven't seen her for a couple of weeks

1 x washing outside to line dry

Go over budget again

Daily SB and surveys

Lunch at parents, evening meal will be spag bol and enough for tomorrow. I am a huge fan of cooking once and eating twice :)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,027
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 May 2015 at 11:23AM
    Morning Comrades,
    Not really the day I'd planned, as I'd got a list of fairly urgent veggie garden jobs, but every time I get myself geared up to go outside & make a start, it pours with rain. Not helpful at all!
    So today's money saving list not very big, but every little helps us remain debt-free. 4 years debt free as of this month. Still can't quite believe how much our attitude to all things financial has changed.
    *Saved a little bit of energy by switching off iron to press final garment.
    *Rest of the mince I didn't use yesterday for dinner - have put in the slow cooker with plenty of veggies & flavourings to make savoury mince & will serve on jackets tonight with some cabbage which will walk to the compost bin on its own if I don't use it soon.
    *No packed lunch to do as mr f is popping home for lunch between venues tomorrow, so have taken some soup out of the freezer for that.
    *Made a loaf in the bread machine.
    *Postie brought £5 of M&S vouchers, plus some discount vouchers & ones for extra points. We get these from our M&S credit card. We just use it for petrol & occasional pre-budgeted spending. It's paid off in full each month. We just have it for the points, which lead to vouchers.
    *Water greenhouse veggies......rest of garden has already had about 4 soakings.
    *Catch up with surveys
    *Continue knitting. Did make some progress last night, but am going to need to make a LOT more progress if I'm going to be wearing it at the Festival or on holiday......though if I get the decreasing finished down to the other cuff I could wear it as a shrug & knit the rest of it afterwards. Hmmmm. Cheating. I need to finish it.
    *If it stays sunny for longer than half an hour this afternoon, I shall move a small polytunnel off the lettuces & use it to cover newly planted beets & cabbages......which are still in modules.
    *If it's still sunny, I may plant up a final pretty container to stand out on the front drive. It will be another free one, as already have the pot, the last very few of my bedding plants grown from free seed & a spare geranium. (I bought the geranium for about 30p from a 'Very Poorly Plant Shelf' at our village garden centre last year. It wasn't much more than a sulky stalk at the time, but has rallied into a rather nice white one).
    OK, had better get some lunch & decide whether it's to be muddy boots or knitting.
    Love to all, keep those hands on your pence!
    f x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • faithcecilia
    faithcecilia Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I am having a few spendy days this week as many of my friends are teachers so half term is a good chance to catch up with them. I had to go into town yesterday to post some Ebay parcels (my local PO has suddenly closed for a refit with no notice!) and popped into a few shops while I was there. I bought myself 2 tops, the first brand new clothes I have bought for myself in nearly a year as I usually go to charity shops. I felt a bit guilty and had to check myself, remind myself that I am not in debt, I am not 'wasting' money, and because I am careful and live frugally I can afford to buy myself nice things sometimes - it can become addictive can't it?

So aside from the tops...

Checked bank accounts, ESA went in yesterday so split it across my 3 accounts as usual:T

Paid council tax a few days early so I don't forget:cool:

Topped up my Starbucks card via Groupon, 5% cashback effectively means £20 for £19:j Coffee is my not too guilty pleasure and I usually have a Starbucks every time I go into town. Its usually Starbucks rather than any of the others simply because its a big, spacious store and its easy to maneuver my scooter round!:p

Changed end date on the one Ebay item I am selling to ensure I am able to post it quickly and not upset my buyer;)

Have a couple of friends and their children coming for tea this afternoon so bought some cream cakes and cookies for the little ones. Tesco had 2 boxes of 2 cream cakes for £2, so I bought 4 for £4 - 8 cream cakes at 50p each, cookies work out 20p each, tea, coffee and milk pennies, so under a tenner in all plus saves my energy and breath not having to go out anywhere today:j

Have been approved for my credit card:j Don't really want one but I have virtually no credit history at the moment so I will use if for a small amount each month then pay off in full each time:A

Have managed to get refunds for a couple of things I had ordered, one was out of stock and the other just hasnt arrived after nearly a month. About £25 in all:T The one that was out of stock worked out really well as I had ordered it to bring the order up to the level to get free postage not because I especially wanted it, so I got the free postage without actually needing the item after all!:rotfl:

Well I think thats about all today, need to tidy a bit then whizz the hoover round before my friends arrive. Enjoy your days everyone:beer:
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,559
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 May 2015 at 9:43PM
    Howdy
    Thanks maria for the start today.

This morning I found mouse droppings in our utility room :( so that needs dealing with.

Today I will:
    Post on this thread for motivation and inspiration Done
    NSD Done
    Open curtains fully Done
    Close curtains before it gets dark Done
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use Done
    Post letter today so it can go 2nd class Done
    walk every where Done

Make loaf of bread Done
    B/L/D from stores Done, dinner is cooking
    Renew library books
    Check mortgage accounts Done
    Soak porridge overnight Done
    Set DW to run overnight - if enough for a full load Not enough
    Set WM to run overnight - if enough for a full load, not enough
    Freezer inventory, update Done
    Fridge inventory, update Done
    Check FPL done
    Educate children for free Done done
    Entertain children and us for free Done
    Read Martin’s email - on going still on going
    Dry washing on airer Done
    HWB for daughter’s bed instead of heating done
    Put out rodent bait Done
    Write up 4 year finance plan Done

Ongoing projects:
    10 minutes shredding
    Cull 100 emails Done

OH is off work tomorrow so I want to have a good clean of the kitchen today, then we can have fun over the weekend cooking and eating :D

Must go now and make lunch, or their will be mutiny.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mice, yikesssssss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family