Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 25th May 15, 7:13 PM
    • 672Posts
    • 1,804Thanks
    safehouse
    one day at a time
    • 25th May 15, 7:13 PM
    one day at a time 25th May 15 at 7:13 PM
    I am a 48 year old mother of one DS, I have a mortgage of 100,000 on my little bungalow and a few other debts CC etc of approx 5,000 or less..................
    We have a wonderful DS and quite successful business (for now anyway)………
    My OH is a functioning alcoholic, (there I said it), too look at him you would never know, and probably never believe it. When sober there isn't a better man walking, he is a hard worker, kind, considerate and a fantastic father. When he drinks, which is most evenings he can be all of the opposite. Don't get me wrong we do sometimes still have good days, especially when OH is on the wagon, but many more bad than good....
    I have been trying now for years to help my OH with his problem, his health has suffered but he refuses to stop. Xmas 2015 gave me the strength to take a massive step backwards, I am exhausted with it him mentally and physically, not to mention the affect this was having on my DS.
    OH can only help himself, it is not my duty and it has taken me a long time for me to accept this, but I finally have................I am now putting myself and my rock my DS first.
    Future protection in mind, I have been saving without his knowledge now for roughly 10 years scrimping with the intention of paying off our mortgage "My life the last 10 years have given me a terrible fear of being homeless to the point of constant nightmares".....To my amazement I have managed to secretly save £63,550 to date....(69,140 updated 19th November 2016)
    These are my reasons for wanting to pay my mortgage off as quickly as possible, I have no idea how long my OH will manage to carryon working or how much longer before our little business will crumble or how long the relationship will take the strain, I just know by focusing on saving for our future and my little house I get back a sense of control which helps get me through each week.
    I also have a diary to help keep me in check when tempted to spend and a place to throw out my emotions when I feel like I am falling backwards…………………

DS 270…. CC 3,950 …. Mortgage £100,000 /£63,550/70,410 paid £36,450/29,590 remaining….Xmas Hols £40.00
    Last edited by safehouse; 19-12-2016 at 6:26 PM.
Page 42
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 10th Feb 17, 11:58 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 66,373 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Glad all is well.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 13th Feb 17, 3:42 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Phew quick update whilst I have a minute......then sofa snuggle for an hour before I hit the dreaded ironing
    Working all hours with this new job....good for my savings but taking its toll on my aging bones Lol, might take less hours on next week.
    OH still on best behavior......wont say to much on that subject tempting fate and all that
    DS happy plodding along with charity work but found 2 jobs which might just suit him to the ground, applications going in this week....so fingers crossed, he deserves a little bit of luck
    Have sold 2 pair curtains on Teabay made £110 ....they cost me only £20 gummytree happy days.
    Bingo night tonight have money off voucher so will only cost me £5 for a night out cant be bad and who knows might even win..............
    Right snuggle down and nap time
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 14th Feb 17, 4:15 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Wow managed £380 into my mortgage pot today , extra cash included from few things I managed to sell on Teabay but massive boost to paying off my mortgage......
    Had an easier day today, well except for 2 hours ironing....only the bedding left to do.
    Met my beautiful mammy in town for a coffee, then nice walk around few favorite shops, bought jumper for DS to put away for Xmas.... I no its months away but if I see a bargain then will save me in the long run and was half price. Waited for DS to finish work so we could get the bus home together and its lovely to see him so happy and relaxed....his confidence is finally starting to shine again, which makes me smile much more
    OH still well behaved........but again I will jump away from that subject
    Ready for my late afternoon nap........trying to keep my heating turned down to a minimum when I can. The house is starting to feel slightly chilly .....under the duvet I go, just for an hour, with the aim of cutting my heating bill in the long run....well all these hours do add up

CC B £1000/ CC S £1,700...£2,700 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£73,200 paid £26,800 remaining
    EF 0
    Last edited by safehouse; 14-02-2017 at 4:18 PM.
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 16th Feb 17, 10:23 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Day off today had terrible sinus since last night and this morning, easing off a little now.....I was trying to tidy up the back garden yesterday, raking and bagging all the leaves (which I normally do around October) anyway thinking the allergens from rotting leaves might be the culprit................
    DS applied for job yesterday, good thing is his old boss from the charity shop now works there, quite high up managerial.....fingers crossed she might just pull a few strings and get him an interview
    Business is going really well, OH landed two very profitable jobs this week, just goes to show how when he shapes himself up everything else starts to slot into place .
    Sausage casserole bubbling in the slow cooker smells delicious....making me hungry already, will have to have some creamy buttery mash to go with it yummy.
    Oh well bit bored so think I will take my moody little doggy for a walk and post a few letters whilst I'me out and about ...............
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th Feb 17, 11:48 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 66,373 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hooray for DHs jobs!!

• safehouse
    • By safehouse 17th Feb 17, 4:35 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Thankuuuuu Bobs hope things are good with you today x

£11 cashback yesterday paid £10 into mortgage fund................£1 left for me Lol
    Recent curtains sold on Teabay and silly lady wants to send the smallest pair back because they are different colours....What was she looking at? of course they were, they were listed as different colours, because they were different colours.....as photographs clearly showed. Thinking not able to read as well as colour blind,more annoyed as £6 postage paid and will now have to re-list...Wow some people (wonder if I could deduct postage from her refund?...but worried she might give me bad feedback even if was her mistake).
    Out in the garden again today, have sectioned it off into 6 parts, so wont seem such hard work or so daunting. section 1 cleared and raked.
    Anyway bit of a shock our fencing going right up one side is in a terrible state and thought we would have to renew, (roughly 8 or 9 6ft panels, posts and labour) but I have just pulled some of it forward got on some steps and taken a look behind and what a surprise....yes all the houses up the next street have had new fencing put up at the bottom of their gardens (probably trying to hide our awful fencing).....anyway meaning we just need to pull our horrible fencing down and not only does our garden increase in size again, but whoo hoo brand new fencing thanks to our neighbors and a massive saving of around £400 Happy Days

CC B £1000/ CC S £1,700...£2,700 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£73,210 paid £26,790 remaining
    EF 0
    Last edited by safehouse; 17-02-2017 at 4:40 PM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th Feb 17, 5:11 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 66,373 Thanks
    Bobarella
    New fencing for free sounds good!

• safehouse
    • By safehouse 1st Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Time does fly.....cant believe its been 10 days since my last post Busy, busy days..... On top of working in my messy winter battered garden have been taking on every bit of overtime I can get at work and cleaning/helping my Beautiful Dmama (she is starting to find everyday things difficult, usually she would argue she could manage,very independent my Dmama, but I get the impression she is now very happy to let me get on with it). All my finances have had a re-shuffle and in the process mortgage savings have slightly reduced.... good news is have finally pushed myself into paying off quite alot of cc debt. Happy days cc finally below 1k. Also feels wonderful to only have one cc to concentrate on.
    Business still going really well diary fully booked for the next 2-3 weeks and OH working hard....has had a few wobbly moments with his problem but far better on the whole than he usually is....Oops cant help but worry writing that sentence might just come back and bite me in the backside .
    DS still plodding away at his voluntary work, not much luck with finding a job, but something very interesting came to light the other day regarding his 2 years remaining study years at University. Apparently because he left his current course only after a few months due to compelling personal reasons beyond his control "cockroach tutor and mental health issues" student finance are looking into re-awarding 2016-17 year back to him as a gift year to re-do. This means he might be able to look into another university course in the future "when he is mentally strong enough" and all is not lost . His GP gave him a glowing letter to send off to student finance along with his request so all fingers and toes crossed for him.
    Had a Sunday visit to Marksy spencys arround 3pm and hit the jackpot, lots of delicious food at knock down prices.......couldnt beleive how much I managed to buy for a grand total of only £16. Wondering if I was just lucky or if it is a weekly event, anyway will certainly be popping in this coming Sunday
    Right then I am going to take the turkey out of the oven and then snuggle under the duvet....have a lovely afternoon nap

CC B £900/...£900 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£72,140 paid £27,860 remaining
    EF 0
    Last edited by safehouse; 01-03-2017 at 3:37 PM.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 1st Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 24,541 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Time does fly.....cant believe its been 10 days since my last post Busy, busy days..... On top of working in my messy winter battered garden have been taking on every bit of overtime I can get at work and cleaning/helping my Beautiful Dmama (she is starting to find everyday things difficult, usually she would argue she could manage,very independent my Dmama, but I get the impression she is now very happy to let me get on with it). All my finances have had a re-shuffle and in the process mortgage savings have slightly reduced.... good news is have finally pushed myself into paying off quite alot of cc debt. Happy days cc finally below 1k. Also feels wonderful to only have one cc to concentrate on.
    Business still going really well diary fully booked for the next 2-3 weeks and OH working hard....has had a few wobbly moments with his problem but far better on the whole than he usually is....Oops cant help but worry writing that sentence might just come back and bite me in the backside .
    DS still plodding away at his voluntary work, not much luck with finding a job, but something very interesting came to light the other day regarding his 2 years remaining study years at University. Apparently because he left his current course only after a few months due to compelling personal reasons beyond his control "cockroach tutor and mental health issues" student finance are looking into re-awarding 2016-17 year back to him as a gift year to re-do. This means he might be able to look into another university course in the future "when he is mentally strong enough" and all is not lost . His GP gave him a glowing letter to send off to student finance along with his request so all fingers and toes crossed for him.
    Had a Sunday visit to Marksy spencys arround 3pm and hit the jackpot, lots of delicious food at knock down prices.......couldnt beleive how much I managed to buy for a grand total of only £16. Wondering if I was just lucky or if it is a weekly event, anyway will certainly be popping in this coming Sunday
    Right then I am going to take the turkey out of the oven and then snuggle under the duvet....have a lovely afternoon nap

CC B £900/...£900 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£72,140 paid £27,860 remaining
    EF 0
    Originally posted by safehouse
    Great news about the CC balance, you will soon be able to concentrate on paying down the mortgage.

Fingers crossed for your DS.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 1st Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 7,876 Posts
    • 43,184 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Fab about fence and Marksy's bargains. Fingers crossed for DS and course/finance Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in April - 4/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £257.40/£1000
    Lbs lost - 13.5
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 1st Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Thanks Guys, such lovely people on this site.....always makes me smile
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 2nd Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Soooooo Cold this morning my knees seemed to have been making the most terrible noises when I got out of bed..........
    Happy to have day off work today, helping OH daughter to move into her new flat, removal van not booked till lunch time.... giving me the first laid back morning in such a long time.
    £40 paid into mortgage savings this morning, taken from a very frugal week of spends also have cut food shop planned for tomorrow to the bone.
    All paid credit cards taken from purse and hidden ( actually have frozen them in a bag at the back of my chest freezer next to the chicken burgers...hopefully will stop temptation and silly spends...... ........fail proof surely? ).
    Shower time, hair dye and then a nice milky coffee whilst I paint my toe nails...............morning all for me and so appreciated ( loving the small things in life this morning)

CC B £900/...£900 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£72,180 paid £27,820 remaining
    EF 0
    Last edited by safehouse; 02-03-2017 at 7:47 AM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 2nd Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 66,373 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I'm so glad to hear about your son's lovely news. I'm still so mad about his awful tutor on his behalf so this is the universe telling you she didn't win!

• safehouse
    • By safehouse 2nd Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Oh dear, Bobs that made me laugh, we definitely have the same mind set. I was thinking the exact same thing.... bit like putting a very well deserved middle finger up to her and everyone who covered for her. Still shouldn't count chickens yet.......eagerly awaiting reply from Student Finance............also hoping doctors letter will have good influence on their decision x
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 6th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Quick update lovely people and Fantastic news today ...... as regards to university degree. Student Finance have given DS year 2016-17 back to him. I am almost bursting with excitement. so he can now use up the years he has left when he is stronger, not sure if there might be a time limit ? or if he can use the years he has left on a different course, as he certainly wont want to return to previous course university and tutors.. I am hoping he can now move forward ...fresh start and a massive to cockroach tutor ....
    Mortgage funds raided by £130 started my emergency fund with a big boost ....dreaded accountants bill of £630 due anytime and nothing in the pot to pay.
    CC B £900/...£900 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£72,050 paid £27,950 remaining
    EF 130
    Last edited by safehouse; 06-03-2017 at 5:43 PM.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 6th Mar 17, 6:33 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 66,373 Thanks
    Bobarella
    That is the best news EVER!!!! What a result!

I was in the same boat on the accountant but have managed to scramble it together just! Mines £800. They aren't daft these bean counters are they

• safehouse
    • By safehouse 13th Mar 17, 7:59 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Not at all Bobs, and their invoice seems to increase every year but with lots of financial juggling accountant now paid for another year..... Mortgage savings raided once again but had to be done BooHoo.
    OH not been great over the weekend usual problem starting to rear its ugly head....have had a long run of a sort of normality, making the thought of it even harder to bare................ trying to get ready for the hurricane to hit....can definitely feel it in the air.
    DS plodding along with volunteer work, nothing from his job applications as yet but I don't want to push to hard and he is making an effort....although its unpaid work its still invaluable to him when it comes to gained experience, self worth and boosting his confidence. Looks as though he might be going down the education route again, now he has his funding back, but we will see.
    Have been decorating, spent £40 on paint so far and this on first room with 3 coats needed.
    Have some beige emulsion from last year, wasn't keen as felt it was to dark....going to add some white emulsion and hopefully mix a nicer lighter colour for my hallway at a fab cost of £0
    Time to get my skates on....2 house cleans and patio clean today, will turn my hand to anything that will get my mortgage paid that little bit quicker ....................................

CC B £900/...£900 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£71,980 paid £28,020 remaining
    EF 0
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 15th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    My first thought was £100 for full house re-paint for paint, gloss etc ...........but then after a good rummage through shed and outbuilding found lots of different brands, colours, brushes, washed rollers (normally would have binned after use, but actually washed them for another day and very happy I did!). My plan now is to keep cost for almost full house re-paint under £40 ....just keep telling myself it can be done .....
    Also planning to paint old conservatory furniture....have found tin of moss green paint which I'me sure/hope I can lighten to a sage colour...........Love to achieve fab results on a next to nothing budget.

To Do list for my tired little house.
    2 ceilings sitting rms 1+2 cost £10 emulsion
    sitting room 1+2 walls cost £22 emulsion....ahoy lovely colour
    Hallway ceiling left over emulsion £0
    hallway beige emulsion found in shed will re-mix with white £0
    bathroom walls need washable white ....flea market fingers crossed.
    bathroom ceiling left over emulsion £0
    Fire surround painted black, again paint found in shed £0
    conservatory furniture re-paint £0

£32 spend so far for house refresh not bad....and local flea market tomorrow so will be on the look out for half tins of washable bathroom, kitchen paint.
    Also found some outside red brick paint and ceder red fence paint so looks like front of house will be getting a makeover also this year at a cost of £0.
    Have the full morning to get as much done as possible before work at 2pm so better get my skates on.
    £50 paid into mortgage savings this morning , have decided to do a freezer stock check ....no big food shop this week essentials only...wish me luck Lol x

CC B £900/...£900 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£72,030 paid £27,970 remaining
    EF 0
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 66,373 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I'm sorry things are rumbling again. It really is a horrible condition to be around.

Well done on paying the accountant, and keeping on that mortgage free trail. You are so impressive Safehouse

• safehouse
    • By safehouse 15th Mar 17, 4:31 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,804 Thanks
    safehouse
    Oh bless..... thank you Bobs, quiet on the home front .....for now anyway, not holding my breath. Ive never been referred to as impressive before so lovely compliment, I would have to say you are pretty impressive yourself xx
    Just sat down.....sneaked out of work early today....bit naughty but can catch up tomorrow.
    I have managed to finish living rm 1 ceiling and first coat in hallway, mixed some left over paints together and came up with quite a nice fawn color, well worth the effort and looking very clean and fresh...happy days
    Thinking I am now in need of a little nap yawn
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,108Posts Today

6,544Users online

Martin's Twitter