Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• safehouse
    • By safehouse 25th May 15, 7:13 PM
    • 600Posts
    • 1,528Thanks
    one day at a time
    • 25th May 15, 7:13 PM
    one day at a time 25th May 15 at 7:13 PM
    I am a 48 year old mother of one DS, I have a mortgage of 100,000 on my little bungalow and a few other debts CC etc of approx 5,000 or less..................
    We have a wonderful DS and quite successful business (for now anyway)………
    My OH is a functioning alcoholic, (there I said it), too look at him you would never know, and probably never believe it. When sober there isn't a better man walking, he is a hard worker, kind, considerate and a fantastic father. When he drinks, which is most evenings he can be all of the opposite. Don't get me wrong we do sometimes still have good days, especially when OH is on the wagon, but many more bad than good....
    I have been trying now for years to help my OH with his problem, his health has suffered but he refuses to stop. Xmas 2015 gave me the strength to take a massive step backwards, I am exhausted with it him mentally and physically, not to mention the affect this was having on my DS.
    OH can only help himself, it is not my duty and it has taken me a long time for me to accept this, but I finally have................I am now putting myself and my rock my DS first.
    Future protection in mind, I have been saving without his knowledge now for roughly 10 years scrimping with the intention of paying off our mortgage "My life the last 10 years have given me a terrible fear of being homeless to the point of constant nightmares".....To my amazement I have managed to secretly save £63,550 to date....(70,410 updated 15th October 2016)
    These are my reasons for wanting to pay my mortgage off as quickly as possible, I have no idea how long my OH will manage to carryon working or how much longer before our little business will crumble or how long the relationship will take the strain, I just know by focusing on saving for our future and my little house I get back a sense of control which helps get me through each week.
    I also have a diary to help keep me in check when tempted to spend and a place to throw out my emotions when I feel like I am falling backwards…………………

DS 270…. CC 3,950 …. Mortgage £100,000 /£63,550/70,410 paid £36,450/29,590 remaining….Xmas Hols £40.00
    Last edited by safehouse; 15-10-2016 at 7:24 AM.
Page 37
    • safehouse
    • By safehouse 14th Oct 16, 7:17 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    Terrible few nights of constant nightmares, eyes are really stinging this morning.
    Meeting Dmama this morning and DS for lunch, DS still feeling like an outsider at Uni but has accepted it is not his fault and has turned his attentions more to doing well at his degree rather than worrying about making friends.........if it is going to happen it will.
    OH still stressed and coping in his usual way regarding horrible all the years of self employment this has to be the worst job ever, seem to hit one problem after another under quoted, but trying not to think about it this morning.
    £40 paid into EF this morning, combination of cash from cut down food shop and £20 bag sold on teabay....
    Thank goodness we sold the car...has really helped to pull us out of the poop Lol

A.. store Card £120 /CC B £740/ CC S £1,000/ CC A £500....£2,950 total …. Mortgage £100,000 /£70,300 paid £29,700 remaining ....(**Total 70,300**)........EF £120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

62Posts Today

2,721Users online

Martin's Twitter