Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 21st May 15, 3:55 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: The devil is in the details: Insurers charge huge fees for simple changes
    • 21st May 15, 3:55 PM
    MSE News: The devil is in the details: Insurers charge huge fees for simple changes 21st May 15 at 3:55 PM
    Changing a name, address or job title, or cancelling an insurance policy completely, could result in costly admin fees ...

Read the full story:

The devil is in the details: Insurers charge huge fees for simple changes

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 2
    • hipstaman
    • By hipstaman 8th Nov 16, 6:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hipstaman
    dunstonh are you sure you are a financial advisor?

1. £25 for somebody to edit a record on a computer, overwrite and save it. Ummm, yes I believe that is extortionate. I bet you'd have a different attitude if you were to call your ISP and ask them to change the details and they would charge you this much for doing so.

2. Name other industries that do this?

3. I find your tone very patronising. It doesnt take an expert to know this basic stuff. This change should either be free or of nominal charge as mentioned previously but not higher than £5.

4. What is silly is your lack of basic understanding in how businesses should operate. You don't see EE/O2/Three etc. charge you for making changes to your details and certainly when calling their telephone support call centre. So why should insurance call centre be any different? A lot of people have accepted it and go along with it, either hoping they won't have to change anything during the annual policy or just complain about charges. Some of course choose to not bother and those are the people insurance cowboys hope to make an extra money on. It is like Ryanair used to charge for inflight loo fee....ridiculous and unnecessary.

5. How is moving a house in somebodies control? unless you bought a house then the chances of you moving out are slim but for students and the likes who move a lot it is a nightmare and usually due to reasons out of their control.

6. Well so much for the expert if you seem to think that charging £25 for a minor change in personal details is in any way a "real value"

This all would have been a different story if insurance as such wasn't a legal requirement. Only because this was made a legal requirement by our government, people have no choice but to buy it and insurance companies know this. That's why they put their own prices on everything knowing that most people will just get angry, fiddle their thumbs and pay up. Same as with parking companies on private land - same story here.

You need a reality check
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Nov 16, 8:57 PM
    • 86,807 Posts
    • 51,963 Thanks
    dunstonh
    1. £25 for somebody to edit a record on a computer, overwrite and save it. Ummm, yes I believe that is extortionate.
    Then I suggest you dont try and run a business then.

2. Name other industries that do this?
    Any business that charges on explicit basis. Remember there are two models in force here. Higher premium/no admin charge vs lower premium with admin charge. If you dont want admin charges then pay a higher premium.

4. What is silly is your lack of basic understanding in how businesses should operate.
    Straight back at you.

5. How is moving a house in somebodies control? unless you bought a house then the chances of you moving out are slim but for students and the likes who move a lot it is a nightmare and usually due to reasons out of their control.
    It is in your control. People decide when they want to move house or stay in their existing.

You need a reality check
    Indeed you do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • napu2400
    • By napu2400 20th Jan 17, 12:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    napu2400
    Changing address should be a simple form on the website, not something that costs £20+.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 20th Jan 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 3,359 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Changing address should be a simple form on the website, not something that costs £20+.
    Originally posted by napu2400
    Indeed. So who pays for the design, build and testing of that website? Who pays for the hosting services to keep that web site in-line? Who pays for the security around that website that must be in place to protect your data? Who pays for the storage of the data that the website generates? Who pays for the system sitting behind the website that calculates the revised premium from your change? Who pays for the hosting and support of that system? Who pays for the people that support / update / enhance that website and system behind it? Who pays for the people sitting in a call centre that have to be there for those that need help or don't have access to the internet? Who pays for the payment processing charges that every business incurs if they take payments on-line? Who pays for the people that do all the analysis to set the pricing for every conceivable change that you may wish to make? Who pays for the people that then code those changes? I could go on but hopefully you get the point.

There is a choice here. Not every insurer charges admin fees, but in return they tend to be at the higher range of the premium scale. Personally, I would rather pay a cheaper premium and then just pay for changes that I make - if I make none then I'm quids in...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 20th Jan 17, 8:50 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    Comparison engines fail to keep pace?!
    So why can't comparison engines keep pace with the practice of insurer's fees. Or do some manage that?

The best airline comparison engines let you choose if you want a hold bag or not, so you can compare like for like.

If a fee must be paid to allow a policy to lapse - that seems pretty unavoidable. Show it to every buyer like the excess.

If your fees for changing address or a car are upwards of £10 - then that is just as relevant to most as a claims deductible or excess surely?

And why don't the FCA make insurers display all such such fees /costs prominently in the Policy Summary or any table highlighting the benefits, to be shown and accepted explicitly when buying or even better make sure they are reasonable ?

It is patently obvious from the general reaction in this forum that most are not aware of the fees buried in the full policy wording document.

I'd agree people should take care buying and read the terms; but that is no excuse for the Financial Sevices industry trying to be transparent or for what could understandably be seen as a deliberate policy to hide such fees by many.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 21st Jan 17, 4:00 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 3,359 Thanks
    rudekid48
    So why can't comparison engines keep pace with the practice of insurer's fees. Or do some manage that?

Because they get paid their £60-£80 fee by the insurer regardless and are not the ones that take the flak - their own fees should be transparent though, too many people don't realise the huge income they generate

The best airline comparison engines let you choose if you want a hold bag or not, so you can compare like for like.

Much easier to compare the smaller number of providers & options

If a fee must be paid to allow a policy to lapse - that seems pretty unavoidable. Show it to every buyer like the excess.

Not heard of that fee

If your fees for changing address or a car are upwards of £10 - then that is just as relevant to most as a claims deductible or excess surely?

Agree, so why do people shop on headline price regardless?

And why don't the FCA make insurers display all such such fees /costs prominently in the Policy Summary or any table highlighting the benefits, to be shown and accepted explicitly when buying or even better make sure they are reasonable ?

They do on both counts

It is patently obvious from the general reaction in this forum that most are not aware of the fees buried in the full policy wording document.

Fees are not buried in policy wordings, they have to be clear and up front. The FOS will overrule any fee that is withheld or purposefully hidden

I'd agree people should take care buying and read the terms; but that is no excuse for the Financial Sevices industry trying to be transparent or for what could understandably be seen as a deliberate policy to hide such fees by many

You can lead a horse to water etc. Financial services is one of the most heavily regulated industries around - that is not the problem. The problem is the race to the bottom for headline prices on comparison sites and some people's inability to actually read what they are signing up to. It never ceases to amaze me how people will select a policy based on getting a cuddly toy or robot rather than basing their decision on quality and if the product actually fits their requirements.
    Originally posted by ThinkingOutLoud
    Added to your post...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 21st Jan 17, 10:39 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    rudekid48 = Because they get paid their £60-£80 fee by the insurer regardless and are not the ones that take the flak - their own fees should be transparent though, too many people don't realise the huge income they generate
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    I agree the comparison engines charge insurers what feels like high fees, but that does not prevent them doing a competent job of presenting like for like on a total cost basis.
    rudekid48 =Much easier to compare the smaller number of providers & options
    Not sure that is right - many, many airlines and agents / intermediaries..Making a simple comparison on options(;-))
    e.g. Motor options = excess, legal, hire car, breakdown, going abroad and a few more maybe
    Airline = time of day flights, destination, airport cabin class, select seat, baggage, meals, travel insurance and cancellation/change flexibility
    >>> But, in 2017 I am sure presenting a few options clearly should not be beyond a smart comparison engine.
    rudekid48 = Not heard of that fee
    I am sure I have seen recent thread posts where people claim they being charged not to renew.
    rudekid48 = Agree, so why do people shop on headline price regardless?
    So I think they don't realise the price is not directly comparable or only a headline price - they trust the comparison engine to highlight any material differences - after all that is what comparison means right?
    And why don't the FCA make insurers display all such such fees /costs prominently in any table highlighting the benefits
    rudekid48 =They do
    I am not sure sure they are so prominent as say excess ...
    http://www.admiral.com/about-us/features-and-benefits.php - just one not one mention of any fees to check out here (all lovely benefits)
    http://www.aviva.co.uk/car-insurance/summary-of-cover/ Again - all the benefits and also excess info - but nothing about fees to check (but to be fair despite your suggestion in prior post online changes are fee free)
    Both have links to their wording etc, I know!
    It remains obvious from the general reaction in this forum that most are not aware of the fees somewhere or spread over several places in the full policy wording document.

We both agree people should take care buying and read the terms
    • Durbanitejoller
    • By Durbanitejoller 18th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Durbanitejoller
    Excessive fees by car insurance company
    I recently moved home and when I gave the car insurance company Hastings Direct my new address they charged me an admin fee of £25.00. When I challenged that they said that if I don't pay the fee they will cancel my insurance.

Guess who's going to be shopping around for a new deal when my insurance expires?
    • ThinkingOutLoud
    • By ThinkingOutLoud 18th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    ThinkingOutLoud
    Good luck finding a cheaper policy without such feees for changes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,744Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter