Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lucyonline
    • By lucyonline 18th May 15, 11:03 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 3Thanks
    lucyonline
    Nutmeg, Vanguard Lifestrategy or Ready-Made Portfolio?
    • 18th May 15, 11:03 AM
    Nutmeg, Vanguard Lifestrategy or Ready-Made Portfolio? 18th May 15 at 11:03 AM
    Hi all

Complete newbie to investing here and was very much hoping for some of your expert advice.

I have always been a bit nervous of the stock market but have always used my full Cash ISA allowance. I'm feeling a bit braver now and would like to put this year's ISA allowance of £15,240 into a Fund in a Stocks and Shares ISA. I already have the money in savings so am ready to transfer. Before I do, a few questions:

1. I am clueless and don't have the time or understanding to research and choose between individual funds. I have been looking at Nutmeg who seem to do all the work for you (great for me) but on the forums people seem to say that you can do better than Nutmeg for a lower fee and better returns. One of the suggestions that comes up a lot is the Vanguard Lifestrategy range (I'd probably go 40 or 60), but that means buying an individual fund rather than a portfolio and I wasn't sure if it's better to diversify. Then there are the Ready-made fund portfolios offered by BestInvest or HL or whoever, which are more expensive than Vanguard but a little cheaper than Nutmeg but not actively managed which I think would mean that every so often I would need to sit down and assess and make decisions about whether or not to move my money which I'm not qualified to do!

So the question is, for a complete clueless person who wants to pretty much just put the money somewhere and leave it and have it do better than it would in Savings/Cash ISA, what would be the best option?

2. Once a decision has been made, is it better to then buy the thing in one big go (to maximise the use of the money that is currently sitting in savings) or drip feed to avoid buying when the market is high?

Thank you so much for your time.
Page 5
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 4th Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 10,310 Posts
    • 9,349 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Do most people go for VLC ACC or INC funds? I guess INC class gives more visibility ??
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 5,575 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    badger09
    Do most people go for VLC ACC or INC funds? I guess INC class gives more visibility ??
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    No idea.

Personally in my ISA I have Acc because I have no need to draw income. If I was holding it in an unwrapped account, I would hold Inc because I would find record keeping easier.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • Linton
    • By Linton 5th Dec 17, 1:13 PM
    • 8,621 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Linton
    If you were using an ISA or a SIPP the only reason to have an INC fund is if you want the income. On the other hand if you are holding the funds in a non-tax protected account an INC fund is probably easier as although you will potentially pay income tax on both (even though you never see the ACC fund income), tax on INC funds is simpler to manage.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 5th Dec 17, 4:37 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    TBC15
    If all else fails, use a food or sex analogy.

Fortunately, the food one worked...

Originally posted by ChesterDog
    OK now Iím interested. Whatís the sex analogy, and do you have any links.
    This is a private computer not used for my paid day time work as an MP.
    • Coolbeans
    • By Coolbeans 5th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Coolbeans
    HSBC GLOBAL AM UK GLOBAL STGY FUNDS are another alternative to VLS Funds
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin