Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1853
    • Jalaba64
    • By Jalaba64 28th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jalaba64
    I've been battling a PPI claim for my Nationwide Credit Card for 2 years. Its been with the Ombudsman now for over a year and they've responded now that the 'Business' has asked for the 6 and 3 year rule to be considered which means my claim has been rejected as i should of raised the issue within 6 years of having PPI or within 3 years of knowing I had it. I had the credit card in 2003 and ticked that i didn't want PPI but was told i had to have it when i activated my card. Has anyone else experienced this?
    • Unicorn77
    • By Unicorn77 28th Nov 17, 9:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Unicorn77
    Forgot to ask, has anyone had any success claiming back PPI from JD Williams? Thank you
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 28th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the 'Business' has asked for the 6 and 3 year rule to be considered which means my claim has been rejected as i should of raised the issue within 6 years of having PPI or within 3 years of knowing I had it.
    Originally posted by Jalaba64
    Unfortunately, if there is a properly applied time-bar that's the end of your complaint. Pity it took FOS a year to come to that conclusion.

Incidentally, it's normal for the Ombudsman Service to refer to banks and building societies etc as "businesses", so there is nothing suspicious there.
    • 1MCB
    • By 1MCB 28th Nov 17, 2:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    1MCB
    • What were you reclaiming: Loan
    • Who was the provider: Lloyds
    • How much did you get back: £2,670
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Letter
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale:
    I have to be honest, i'm one of those who didn't think I had PPI (or silly enough to agree to it), but i'd always had lots of loans. This was just a check after a friend got a pay out. Turns out I had PPI on a Graduate loan from 2001, which then folded into a second loan I took out to repay the first. The 2nd loan didn't have PPI, but the pay out was 80% from the 2nd loan...

I've subsequently gone through all my banking history and requested information from all financial institutions, and it turns out I had PPI with another bank loan, so am looking into that now.

Lloyds paid out very easily and quickly. I should add they sent two huge questionaires (one for loans, one for credit cards) but subsequently wrote to me saying I didn't have PPI on credit cards, but I did on my loan. I then got a call, and spent 10 minutes chatting to a lovely lady stating what I could recollect (very little - was honest throughout) - then a letter saying I had been missold PPI, and a refund. I feel lucky, as it was far less stress than I imagined.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 28th Nov 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Reclaiming PPI on Lloyds & RBS (Mint) credit cards
    Recovered approx £900 from Lloyds & £2100 from RBS
    Completed on-line forms

I really didn't think I had any chance of reclaiming and wasn't even sure I had PPI on the cards. I haven't used a credit card for several years so didn't have any statements to check against.
    I had previously considered putting a spec claim but the amount of info required at that time put me off. With the recent advertising campaign I had another look and gave it a go.
    Received forms from RBS & Lloyds which were straightforward to complete - anything I didn't know I just said so. I received a phone call from Lloyds to check a couple of points, and saying that I didn't have PPI in the early days of the card but it had later been added. Asked if there was any reason I would have asked for it to be added. I had no reason to add it as I was in secure employment on the date given. I was told a decision would be made soon and received payment from them about a month ago.
    RBS was slower, no phone contact but a few texts saying it was being investigated etc. Finally received a letter yesterday with a form to sign and return accepting £2.1k refund.
    £3k for maybe a total of one hours effort is definitely a good return.
    I would advise anybody who has had a credit card or loan to complete the forms and see what happens. You have nothing to lose.
    • Freebyman
    • By Freebyman 30th Nov 17, 5:19 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Freebyman
    I was going to shred an old loan agreement from back in 2003 with Abbey and just thought to myself have another read and saw I had PPI. Emailed santander and they didnt answer initially, complained via twitter that they didnt get back to me and had a cheque for over £600 in a week. Result! Still waiting on my Nationwide plevin claim though, probably only a few quid, but its all a bonus.
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevardís white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    • KittyHawk
    • By KittyHawk 30th Nov 17, 6:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    KittyHawk
    I’m intrigued by the Nationwide one. Have no idea how it’s calculated, so don’t know what to expect: could be a couple of hundred; could be two and six. Supposed to hear by the 4th of December, but I’m not holding my breath.
    • blammo
    • By blammo 2nd Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    blammo
    MBNA success
    I've received a letter from MBNA saying I'm entitled to a refund, although I'm having a hard time working out precisely how much they are going to refund!

The letter has the following figures:

Amount of applicable commission and profit share: £536.44
    Total amount of fees refunded: £0.00
    Amount of historic interest: £104.47
    Applicable 8% gross interest :£584.94
    Less UK withholding tax: -£116.99

So I'm not sure whether I'm due £536.44 or £584.94 or some other figure!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 89,853 Posts
    • 56,513 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I've received a letter from MBNA saying I'm entitled to a refund, although I'm having a hard time working out precisely how much they are going to refund!

The letter has the following figures:

Amount of applicable commission and profit share: £536.44
    Total amount of fees refunded: £0.00
    Amount of historic interest: £104.47
    Applicable 8% gross interest :£584.94
    Less UK withholding tax: -£116.99

So I'm not sure whether I'm due £536.44 or £584.94 or some other figure!
    Originally posted by blammo
    That is not a successful missale complaint outcome. That is a rejected missale complaint receiving a payout under the plevin ruling.

£1108 as you add them all up.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • amkbaker
    • By amkbaker 2nd Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    amkbaker
    PPI reclaim success
    I thought I was too savvy to be charged PPI and could remember many years ago telephoning M & S credit card to cancel the payment protection charges, however, I having been having a clear out of old files and noticed PPI on a very old Barclaycard invoice (1995-2000) so I completed your Resolver reclaim form, wondering if there was much point and that if successful it would be piddly do any way. Today, to my utter astonishment and amazement, I received a cheque for £2,538.57 unbelivable, no hassle, applied 11th November, one telephone call from Barclaycard and...RESULT. Its going to be a great christmas. Thank you Resolver!!!
    • blammo
    • By blammo 2nd Dec 17, 7:25 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    blammo
    Oops my mistake, I thought I had posted in a thread about Plevin
    • Mabelsmummy
    • By Mabelsmummy 4th Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabelsmummy
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Just had confirmation that nram owe me almost £5000 made up if ppi end interest. Returned the acceptance letter and wondered if anyone had any experience of their payment timescales. They have quoted 28 days in their letter.

Many thanks
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 14,355 Posts
    • 15,111 Thanks
    zx81
    You should get payment within 28 days.
    • Mabelsmummy
    • By Mabelsmummy 4th Dec 17, 1:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mabelsmummy
    Nram
    Thank you. But I was hoping for someone with nram experiences to say if they got paid out any faster 😁😁
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thank you. But I was hoping for someone with nram experiences to say if they got paid out any faster 😁😁
    Originally posted by Mabelsmummy
    The experience of others in this regard is irrelevant. Expect it after Xmas and you won't be disappointed.
    • Pops72
    • By Pops72 5th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pops72
    First Direct Loans from 1990's
    I was on First direct website six months ago to find out about some t & c's on my mortgage when I saw a link for PPI.

I knew I had PPI in the 90's on some loans I had to consolidate some debt and also a wedding loan. I reckoned at the time I had good in-job benefits : so would have been unlikely to ever be able to claim on the PPI but I realised it was likely outside the time window when it was covered by the regulations...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So I spent 10 minutes filling out the online form and forgot all about it. 6 weeks later they transferred over 6,500 into my account. Most of it was interest over the years.

Very happy with that outcome and really did not expect anything to result from my quick web form.
    Last edited by Pops72; 05-12-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Typo
    • BigBuxNone
    • By BigBuxNone 10th Dec 17, 6:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    BigBuxNone
    Amazing!
    After reading a email newsletter from MSE regarding the PLEVIN ruling, I thought I’d give using Resolver a go and put in the barest of information. I just used all my addresses I had lived at since banking with Lloyds and really that was about it. I vaguely remembered a letter a few years back saying that I wasn’t mis-sold PPI on a loan I had - so Plevin case was most relevant to me.

Got two responses back from Lloyds with all the accounts it would look at. One claim had just one account on it and the other had several accounts noted.

About a week later I had a telephone chat with a friendly chap who asked me to recall what I could - which was very little to be honest.

A couple of weeks went by and I received a response for the one account stating that my claim for Plevin had been successful and was due £2100. Was thrilled with that, but did wonder why no mention of the other claim, but as it was still within the deadline for receiving a response, I was optimistic that I might be due some more.

Yesterday, the second response came through stating that they are upholding my claim for mid-sold PPI!?! This covered several loans and the redress owed to me is £20,800!! Turns out I had never claimed for PPI on these loans. WOW!

If you haven’t done anything about PPI or claiming Plevin if you have been rejected in the past - do it... do it now! Literally the whole thing took about 30 mins including the phone call. I had NO paperwork, NO account numbers and could remember very little details, and will now receive a total of £22,900 back!

Thank you MSE for giving me the nudge and the tools to achieve this it’s a huge amount of money!
    Last edited by BigBuxNone; 10-12-2017 at 6:07 AM. Reason: Typos
    • MARKOS72
    • By MARKOS72 10th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    MARKOS72
    After reading a email newsletter from MSE regarding the PLEVIN ruling, I thought Iíd give using Resolver a go and put in the barest of information. I just used all my addresses I had lived at since banking with Lloyds and really that was about it. I vaguely remembered a letter a few years back saying that I wasnít mis-sold PPI on a loan I had - so Plevin case was most relevant to me.

Got two responses back from Lloyds with all the accounts it would look at. One claim had just one account on it and the other had several accounts noted.

About a week later I had a telephone chat with a friendly chap who asked me to recall what I could - which was very little to be honest.

A couple of weeks went by and I received a response for the one account stating that my claim for Plevin had been successful and was due £2100. Was thrilled with that, but did wonder why no mention of the other claim, but as it was still within the deadline for receiving a response, I was optimistic that I might be due some more.

Yesterday, the second response came through stating that they are upholding my claim for mid-sold PPI!?! This covered several loans and the redress owed to me is £20,800!! Turns out I had never claimed for PPI on these loans. WOW!

If you havenít done anything about PPI or claiming Plevin if you have been rejected in the past - do it... do it now! Literally the whole thing took about 30 mins including the phone call. I had NO paperwork, NO account numbers and could remember very little details, and will now receive a total of £22,900 back!

Thank you MSE for giving me the nudge and the tools to achieve this itís a huge amount of money!
    Originally posted by BigBuxNone
    Excellent news-well done
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Lord Flashheart
    • By Lord Flashheart 11th Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lord Flashheart
    Barclaycard Plevin Success
    I successfully claimed £3,458.21 from Barclaycard under the Plevin ruling. This was on a Barclaycard which I have had for 22 years. I simply completed an online form and 7 weeks later the money was in my account:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin