Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1848
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 24th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The loan was paid off years ago, but I did run into financial trouble and it ended up being paid back to Santander via a debt collection agency.
    Did that involve some of the balance being reduced as part of an agreed settlement?

Also, when that happens, there is usually a part rebate on the PPI premium at the time it goes to the debt company. The rebate is paid to the balance of the loan.

If either or both of the things happened, then that would explain the reduced figure.
    • Stiggers
    • By Stiggers 25th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Stiggers
    I had a £5,000 loan from 1999 with Bank of Scotland which I took out to buy a new car (Never even had a driving licence at the time, was only taking lessons, but at 18 years old go figure!). I had no details on the loan other than I took it out in 1999 - I wasn't even sure whether I had PPI. I filed a complaint to BOS on 6th August through the Resolver tool and they have sent a letter which I received on 23rd September confirming my complaint has been upheld and the amount I will be receiving is £5,600! This is what is left after the £710 tax is taken off and paid to HMRC and includes the standard interest amounts. My fiancee gives birth to our child in November and we have our wedding coming up in March 2019 so this money comes at the right time for us. Big thank you to MSE and Resolver.
    • msb1234
    • By msb1234 27th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    msb1234
    M & S PPI claim success
    I used the template on MSE but was convinced I had not paid any PPI, but my husband nagged me! I had few details, and even put the date of the loan as 1900!
    I claimed back for an M &a S loan from 25 years ago. Took about 5 minutes to fill in the form with very sketchy details. Received a call 3 days later from my named advisor confirming my details.
    Got a letter from M &a S bank today, 5 weeks after submitting my claim, telling me they are paying me £7,750 within 28 days!
    What an absolute result 🍾🎉👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    • helenmckenna
    • By helenmckenna 28th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    helenmckenna
    Claimed via resolver for mbna card. Time barred knocked back but may have been something to come from plevin case. Today I got a cheque for just over £4000. Thanks. A great result.
    • helenmckenna
    • By helenmckenna 28th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    helenmckenna
    Should say original card was virgin with ppi from mbn
    • bigjmc10
    • By bigjmc10 3rd Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bigjmc10
    I didn't use MSE's template but responded to a Direct Redress (DR) radio advert and I have to say that they have managed the whole reclaim process in a very professional manner.

I had two loans with Santander - one going back to the Alliance & Leicester days - from which the bank repaid me just over £6000 in June last year.

Also had several loans and credit cards with Yorkshire Bank going back over two decades but didn't have all the details, DR managed to unearth these and submitted a claim which resulted in a refund of £15000 from the Yorks Bank last week. And yes I have paid 30% in fees to DR but I am also now fourteen grand better off!

Was in dispute with Yorks Bank several years ago regarding some bank charges and they took it upon themsleves to close my account without any warning so to some extent I see the £15k as payback. Like the saying goes 'What goes round comes round!'
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 13,668 Posts
    • 14,123 Thanks
    zx81
    And yes I have paid 30% in fees to DR but I am also now fourteen grand better off!
    Originally posted by bigjmc10
    All they did was write a letter asking if you had PPI.

You'd have been 20k better off if you'd paid for the stamp yourself.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 3rd Oct 17, 10:45 AM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I didn't use MSE's template but responded to a Direct Redress (DR) radio advert and I have to say that they have managed the whole reclaim process in a very professional manner.
    What could they do wrong with sending a letter to the firm? Its about 5 minutes work and a stamp for them.

Shame you didnt realise that before you paid all that money to them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 19,535 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I've marked that post as Spam because it is entirely too complimentary to a Claims firm which apparently took £7000 in fees for putting a stamp on an envelope. The firm didn't "unearth" anything which the OP could not have found just as easily himself and for free.
    • mrssj
    • By mrssj 4th Oct 17, 5:53 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrssj
    Mortgasure
    I originally made a complaint in February to Lloyds for a MPPI sold to us by TSB in 1992. Initial decision in April was a no, I persisted in asking them to confirm if my self employed husband was covered for unemployment as we had been told and they kept saying yes but couldn't provide me with evidence. Eventually they sent a copy of the policy leaflet which clearly stated it didn't cover Self employed people if unemployed. So sent it back with yet another letter. A week later we get a pay out of £17666. Communication from Lloyds has been appalling, every time I rang I was told we had been sent a letter but on 5 different occasions the letters didn't materialize. Be persistent people and don't be fobbed off.
    • DKG62
    • By DKG62 4th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DKG62
    Turned down again even quoting Plevin!
    Turned down by Nationwide in 2012 for miss sell PPI on mortgage.
    Re applied for miss sell in August re Plevin and again turned down by Nationwide! Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert? Now gone to the Ombudsman, dealt with Ombudsmanís before donít hold out much hope!
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 13,668 Posts
    • 14,123 Thanks
    zx81
    Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert?
    Originally posted by DKG62
    Not sure why you thought that.

If the commission wasn't over 50%, then it wouldn't even make it across the start line, let alone be a dead cert. It would have been shot in the paddock.

Highly unlikely the Ombusdsman will find that the commission is different to what they have said.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 4th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Most MPPi complaints are turned down.

Re applied for miss sell in August re Plevin and again turned down by Nationwide!
    That is to be expected.

Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert?
    No. The FCA report stated that they expected most regular premium PPI to not captured by plevin. Indeed, there was a consideration given to eliminate it from the plevin issue. However, they chose not to and said that firms will just have to reject it if they are approached on a case by case basis.

Now gone to the Ombudsman, dealt with Ombudsman’s before don’t hold out much hope!
    The FOS will be no help to you whatsoever. A complete waste of time. This is not a decision that is debatable. The rule on plevin is not about missale or not. It is about the excessive commission and that does not apply to MPPI.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 04-10-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Oct 17, 11:01 PM
    • 19,535 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Re applied for miss sell in August re Plevin and again turned down by Nationwide! Thought this was supposed to to be a dead cert? Now gone to the Ombudsman, dealt with Ombudsmanís before donít hold out much hope!
    Originally posted by DKG62
    You have no hope I'm afraid.

Plevin is not an opportunity to re-state your original complaint from 2012 and , even if successful, you would only have been granted a refund of any amount of non disclosed commission over 50%. You were never in line for a full refund of your PPI which was adjudged as not mis-sold five years ago.

Your "complaint" has been rejected because there was no commission over 50%.

Your original mis-selling complaint failed in 2012 and that complaint has not been re-considered at all as part of your Plevin "complaint".

You can fully expect the Ombudsman to further elaborate on your misunderstanding, but you won't be getting any refund I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 04-10-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    • seadees
    • By seadees 5th Oct 17, 4:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    seadees
    PPI Reclaiming Failure
    I tried reclaiming from the Yorkshire Building Society, where I was a member of Staff for the whole period of the PPI.
    I took out the first policy with my mortgage in 1985, and although I didn't have my paper work I could tell them that the loan mortgage roll no. ended in 80. I gave them the name of the Manager and address of the Branch where we worked.
    I took out a further advance, gave them the year, the amount, account no. ended 81, and name of Senior Clerk who sold it to me.
    I took out a Secured loan, gave them the year, the amount, account no. ended in 85, and name of Chief Clerk who sold it me.
    I was declined for all 3 loans as I was unable to provide them with any paper work and worse still they had no record of me working for them.
    I went to the Ombudsman, who upheld in favour of the YBS as, they said, the YBS had made sufficient searches for my details, and as I had no proof, my appeal was rejected.
    When I hear all these stories where people have received thousands of pounds back, I'm gutted to think my previous employer will not even acknowledge me working for them.

I would happily share my story with a newspaper, but they are not interested in the fails, only the success stories.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Oct 17, 7:07 AM
    • 7,431 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    -taff
    Everyone is reliant on good records for a successful complaint. You obviously didn't have any and neither did they.

They did nothing wrong by getting rid of your details, in fact, they are expected to.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 5th Oct 17, 11:07 AM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,455 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I tried reclaiming from the Yorkshire Building Society, where I was a member of Staff for the whole period of the PPI.
    This is important as staff members generally get less consumer protection. Especially if they get discounts for buying in-house products on a non-advised basis.

I took out the first policy with my mortgage in 1985, and although I didn't have my paper work I could tell them that the loan mortgage roll no. ended in 80. I gave them the name of the Manager and address of the Branch where we worked.
    Are you sure you bought MPPI from a building society in 1985? That would be extremely rare as you are right at the start of when PPI became available with the banks. It didnt really become mainstream sold until the early 90s.

Are you perhaps mixing up MIG (if it was single premium) or life assurance (if it was regular premium)?

When I hear all these stories where people have received thousands of pounds back, I'm gutted to think my previous employer will not even acknowledge me working for them.
    I personally doubt you were paying PPI to begin with.

I would happily share my story with a newspaper, but they are not interested in the fails, only the success stories.
    Look at it objectively. You have no evidence you paid any PPI. You say you started at a time when PPI sales were rare (so doubt on whether you even had it). Why would a paper run a story on you?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 5th Oct 17, 12:53 PM
    • 19,535 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by seadees
    The newspapers jump on unsuccessful stories too, in your case though you have absolutely zero evidence to back up your allegations. You can't prove you had any PPI, you can't prove it was mis-sold to you and it is so long ago (32 years!) that your former employer has deleted you from their records.

Imagine the newspaper story; "Man says he worked for Bank and bought PPI thirty years ago. Bank says they haven't kept records in line with data protection legisalation. Ombudsman agrees"
    Not a very compelling storyline is it?

By the way, providing them with the names of staff and their positions at the time is never going to help find an old account as such records (when they still exist) are not linked in bank. archives.

As Dunston says, it's not even certain that you had PPI at all. PPI only began to be widely retailed at the end of the eighties.

I hear all these stories where people have received thousands of pounds back
    Originally posted by seadees
    You need to accept that you'll never be one of those people. Take comfort from the fact that it's unlikely that the insurance you purchased was actually PPI three decades ago.
    • Misty Blue
    • By Misty Blue 5th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 2,533 Thanks
    Misty Blue
    Reclaimed via Resolver for PPI on an Egg loan. It took about a month to receive a letter saying they're refunding £2200.
    • DKG62
    • By DKG62 5th Oct 17, 8:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DKG62
    Not sure why you thought that.

If the commission wasn't over 50%, then it wouldn't even make it across the start line, let alone be a dead cert. It would have been shot in the paddock.

Highly unlikely the Ombusdsman will find that the commission is different to what they have said.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Nationwide have not quoted what commission they charged!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,294Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin