Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1845
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 18,888 Posts
    • 9,033 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    So put this down to experience.hope this will help people with queries on mppi.also thru these forums i did the claim myself and no need for middlemen.again thanks for all replies.
    Originally posted by markh1965
    You can still refer your complaint to the Ombudsman, but just be aware that you face an uphill battle; given your stated reasons for complaint..
    • theirmum
    • By theirmum 12th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    theirmum
    So I took my complaint to the FO because Barclaycard had said I had PPi on he account but they could see no payments. I had no documents and this dated back to 1996 but i knew I used the card so if PPI was there I would have paid some! The FO went back to Barclaycard and their reason was that they no longer had any documentation so couldn't say if I did or didn't pay any. They have today through the FO offered me (as a goodwill gesture) £1237.70p as an average of what they would expect to payout on a card with the limited I had!! I am over the moon as I could prove nothing!
    • duffs54
    • By duffs54 12th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    duffs54
    Egg (now Barclays ) Credit card
    Claiming £1500
    Received £1500

All within 4 weeks, filled out form online to Barclays as I knew they had taken over Egg, got a text telling me they would contact me, then another saying I would receive a letter. I called them back gave all the details that I could remember.

After 1 week received a text saying payment has been approved and I will receive cheque within 10 days , 4 days letter cheque payment in full.

Thank you MSE big time, my second result.
    Last edited by duffs54; 12-06-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    • nuttymoo
    • By nuttymoo 20th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    nuttymoo
    PPI - just do it
    I was positive I did not have PPI, as when asked about the product I always said I didn't want it. However, on advice of this website and family, claimed on old Barclays account, from 1988 to 2007, just received almost £12,000 back !! No argument, nor denials. Only took just short of 2 weeks from approaching Barclays, received very nice letter apologising for their mistake with the cheque and explanation of how it worked out. I've now claimed against other loans and credit cards, just in case PPI has been added there too, despite my ticking the "no" box. My advice, claim, even if like me you were under the impression you did not have PPI. I used the links and tool and template letters and haven't paid a penny to a Claims Company.
    • madhouse
    • By madhouse 2nd Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    madhouse
    Brief history. When my husband died from cancer last year one of his pensions paid me a small discretionary lump sum. Not wanting to waste it I used it to convert the garage to an annexe to enable my daughter to have a bit more space and independence. On clearing the garage which was a horrendous job, we found old bank statements showing ppi back to the 1990s. With the use of resolver and guides from mse I made a claim and just a few months later I received a total of approx. £10000 refund. This has made life so much easier for me and my family and has also settled my annoyance about a useless ppi I had on an old credit card but I didn't think I would have been able to prove. Thank you MSE and Resolver. 😊
    • Lozwhalley
    • By Lozwhalley 3rd Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lozwhalley
    Just had a pseudo rejection from Santander regarding debenhams card ppi complaint they have asked for more info and proof of employment covered sick pay and proof of savings (I don't have proof it was my first job so don't have the contract anymore - 17 yrs ago) and my £6000 savings were cash. They have completely disregarded my primary reason for complaint that I was told I had to have it by an obviously commission hungry sales assistant at the till point and wouldn't let me progress with the application without ppi as I was 18??? No questions were asked regarding my circumstances/eligibility/cool off etc as is was a none issue - I apparently HAD to have it. Bit confused how that wasn't mis selling. Any advice guys? Loz
    • Lozwhalley
    • By Lozwhalley 3rd Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lozwhalley
    Santander debenhams store card ppi
    Just had a pseudo rejection from Santander regarding debenhams card ppi complaint they have asked for more info and proof of employment covered sick pay and proof of savings (I don't have proof it was my first job so don't have the contract anymore - 17 yrs ago) and my £6000 savings were cash. They have completely disregarded my primary reason for complaint that I was told I had to have it by an obviously commission hungry sales assistant at the till point and wouldn't let me progress with the application without ppi as I was 18??? No questions were asked regarding my circumstances/eligibility/cool off etc as is was a none issue - I apparently HAD to have it. Bit confused how that wasn't mis selling. Any advice guys? Loz
    • Irene1108
    • By Irene1108 4th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Irene1108
    I used a claims management company to reclaim my PPI from Natwest as I didnt have the loan details any more I've just received an offer and wanted to know if i dont accept the offer can i then go and claim myself so i dont have to pay them.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 12,554 Posts
    • 12,725 Thanks
    zx81
    No, clearly.
    • amersall
    • By amersall 5th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 16,637 Posts
    • 18,675 Thanks
    amersall
    Absolutely not, Just remember, if you need to put a claim in for mis sell in the future, contact the bank direct.

• iammrt
    • By iammrt 5th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    iammrt
    Just had some success with Lloyds

Had a credit card from them in 1999, they initially rejected my claim based on insufficient eveidence however I went back to them and they backtracked on their decision....Payment of £690 coming into my account anyday now!
    • MrsStubbs
    • By MrsStubbs 8th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MrsStubbs
    What were you reclaiming: 4 small Egg loans over a few years in the mid 90's
    Who was the provider: Egg
    How much did you get back: £3179
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Letter Template from this website!

It was so Simple and all within the time Frame. It's now 6 weeks and I received my offer 4 days ago. I am now just awaiting the cheque. I genuinely never believed I had PPI, so this came as a shock, plus I'm sooooo glad I did it myself I would have been devested to had 40% of it over!

Good Luck everyone fill your boots 👍😄
    • MrsStubbs
    • By MrsStubbs 8th Jul 17, 11:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MrsStubbs
    In addition to my post, I didn't have any paper work or any evidence, I had changed my name too!
    It was all done in 3 letters:

My Letter was Sent on 22/05/17

26/05/17 Letter 1- Confirmation of logging the complaint and request for ID

25/06/17 Letter 2- Update with no details

06/07/17 Letter 3 - Offer
    • ozzmosiz
    • By ozzmosiz 12th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ozzmosiz
    Hi all,
    Has anyone been able to claim with HSBC?

I had quite a few loans back in the 90s and 2000s but do not have the paperwork and as I was clueless back then I am sure I payed PPI as well.

Do I stand a chance as I understand HSBC "claim" to only have records back 6 years?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 12,554 Posts
    • 12,725 Thanks
    zx81
    Lots of people have complained to HSBC. They're a big bank.

You'd need to ask them whether they have records of your accounts. But obviously the odds are against you. It's not a question of what they "claim". It's a question of what they "have".
    • ozzmosiz
    • By ozzmosiz 12th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ozzmosiz
    I literally got a reply and have the account numbers for 2 loans from 1999 and 2002, however no loan amounts or other details.
    Funny how others have said they only keep records back 6 years. AND Gladstone Brookes said they (HSBC) had no record of me, even though I've had the same bank account since 1992 (when they were Midland Bank)
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 12th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    I literally got a reply and have the account numbers for 2 loans from 1999 and 2002, however no loan amounts or other details.
    Funny how others have said they only keep records back 6 years. AND Gladstone Brookes said they (HSBC) had no record of me, even though I've had the same bank account since 1992 (when they were Midland Bank)
    Originally posted by ozzmosiz
    Just as a side note, it is very easy to re-claim PPI yourself and you do not need to go through a 3rd party company. I have done it myself several times and been successful in all cases.
    • ozzmosiz
    • By ozzmosiz 12th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ozzmosiz
    TheDebtinator

What if I don't know the exact amount on the loan or if I definitely had PPI (which I think they applied by default to the loan payments) ?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    • 12,554 Posts
    • 12,725 Thanks
    zx81
    You would ask the lender. Just as the same as the claims company will do, but they will charge you bucket loads for doing it.
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 12th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    As zx81 says, ask. I have no idea how much 3rd parties charge for this service, but when you can easily do it for free you'd be mad not to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,281Posts Today

8,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin