Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a 5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1842
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 21st Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 18,499 Posts
    • 8,727 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was sold mortgage protection policy 1993 with Commercial Union Life Assurance,
    Is this possible to claim back after all this time ?
    Originally posted by Dimary600
    You can't expect a refund simply because you have not died in the interim period.
    Why else would Life Assurance be refunded?

(This insurance is not PPI)
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 21st Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    Mersey
    Well thanks for the correction on spelling of judgment vs judgement

Perhaps you could direct your ire at this site which wrongly uses "reclaim" or "claim" when they mean "complain"
    Originally posted by Nasqueron

You're welcome for 'precedent' too.

It does not.

Any civil gripe is indeed a claim, whether it is pre-litigated or issued in the County Court - which is why Martin uses the term (correctly). Whether a potential claim has any merit is another issue entirely as explained to yourself previously.

No doubt we hold different views re the respective potential of any claim. But it is merely a fact that they are all claims ['whether merely still in the aggrieved person's mind or at the door of the Court' to quote the previous DCJ for the Northern Circuit] Indeed, if anyone wishes to seek redress from their ex-boss or the NHS or council, they send a 'Letter of Claim.'
    Last edited by Mersey; 21-03-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 87,668 Posts
    • 52,895 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I was sold mortgage protection policy 1993 with Commercial Union Life Assurance,
    Is this possible to claim back after all this time ?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Dimary600
    What was wrong with that which makes you think you should have your money back?

This thread is about PPI. Not about life assurance. BTW, you cannot get your car insurance or your house insurance paid back to you either.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 21st Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    You're welcome for 'precedent' too.

It does not.

Any civil gripe is indeed a claim, whether it is pre-litigated or issued in the County Court - which is why Martin uses the term (correctly). Whether a potential claim has any merit is another issue entirely as explained to yourself previously.

No doubt we hold different views re the respective potential of any claim. But it is merely a fact that they are all claims ['whether merely still in the aggrieved person's mind or at the door of the Court' to quote the previous DCJ for the Northern Circuit] Indeed, if anyone wishes to seek redress from their ex-boss or the NHS or council, they send a 'Letter of Claim.'
    Originally posted by Mersey
    Claim on a policy
    Complain about a policy

That is the issue with PPI. This isn't about NHS, Council etc

I granted you judgement/judgment, maybe you can accept unnecessary/worthless are not synonyms and call it quits
    • Madrilleno
    • By Madrilleno 22nd Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Madrilleno
    For those who don't think it's worth claiming, or don't think they're eligible, here's my story:-

I have three Barclaycards and have had them for many years. I looked at reclaiming PPI insurance a couple of years ago, but thought I didn't fit the criteria.
    A few weeks ago, I read in the MSE newsletter that there was a cut-off date for PPI claims, and then a couple of days later I received a credit card statement with PPI insurance fees on it - 1.98. I thought, "What the heck, it isn't going to cost me anything, I might as well try and claim.

I followed the link through from the MSE website to the Resolver site. The details I had were, I thought, sketchy. I couldn't remember when I took out the cards or exactly how the policy was sold to me, although I thought it was bundled in - I put "Can't remember".
    Once the form was filled, it was sent off to Barclaycard, and I thought nothing more would come of it.
    On the 20th of March I received a letter from Barclaycard acknowledging the complaint. Again, I didn't expect anything to happen, but I noticed that my phone number was wrong. I decided to call them to correct it.
    After going through security, and before I could ask them to change the number, the person I was speaking to said the case had been reviewed and would I like to know the outcome.
    The result of 5 minutes work filling in the web form.
    16,100!
    So, if you don't think it's worth it, spend five minutes filling in the Resolver form and see what you can get.

Good Luck

Madrilleno
    • newbs68
    • By newbs68 22nd Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    newbs68
    10 minutes on a very simple online claim form for Lloyds Bank for credit cards and loans dating back from the stoneage to 2006.

They sorted through all our past cards and loans. They then phoned for clarification on a couple of things and within a few weeks we were awarded nearly 8500 between us.

No luck with Northern Rock and Capital One, simply because we didn't have PPI with them.

However, after phoning MBNA yesterday I was told I had PPI on my CC with them. They are currently investigating and will get back to me.

Companies which would not oblige any help or information over the phone, so far are Morgan Stanley (now Barclays) and Marbles (Citibank). Having to fill in tedious forms for them.

All our claims are pre-dated 2006 when we managed to pay everything off and we've had very little information retained.

So, just try it.
    • Mandy57
    • By Mandy57 30th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mandy57
    Store card PPI refund
    WOOHOO!! Have just had a reply from Santander saying they agree to refund ppi payments paid on a Dorothy Perkins store card which i had taken out in 1999. I am being refunded 547- 48p
    I 1st applied myself via post in 2012 & was refused & thought that was it. I didn't know then that i could re-apply Then i read all the info on MSE & re-applied through RESOLVER on MSE wesite who wrote on my behalf & within 6 weeks have just received the news that i was being refunded. WOOHOO 😀 Thank you MSE i am absolutely thrilled 😊
    • Sinderella
    • By Sinderella 8th Apr 17, 10:07 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Sinderella
    You were lucky with Santander - well done!.

They told me my PPI for 2 storecards were cancelled within a month and the premiums were refunded back to me during that month (sometime in approximately 1997). I have no idea if they are telling the truth as where would I see that a refund was sent to me. It wasn't clear on the print they sent me which listed my payments and purchases.

I had 3 cards, and Santander sent me 3 agreements. One of them they said I did not have PPI but I couldn't read that particular agreement because it was very dark and blotchy compared to the other two I received which had a ticked box each.

Can you kindly tell me when you requested a SAR from HMRC did they state in a letter you were unemployed and how long did you have to wait for the copy?

I have just sent in a request for my SAR as I had a young child so I know I definitely wasn't working at the time I took the cards out. I'm starting the whole process again with Santander and want proof of the PPI insurance refund they supposedly gave me after the so-called month that they mentioned. I'm wondering whether I will have more luck with Genworth instead.

Cheers!
    • Sinderella
    • By Sinderella 8th Apr 17, 10:11 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Sinderella
    LISA0812 - You were lucky with Santander - well done!.

They told me my PPI for 2 storecards were cancelled within a month and the premiums were refunded back to me during that month (sometime in approximately 1997). I have no idea if they are telling the truth as where would I see that a refund was sent to me. It wasn't clear on the print they sent me which listed my payments and purchases.

I had 3 cards, and Santander sent me 3 agreements. One of them they said I did not have PPI but I couldn't read that particular agreement because it was very dark and blotchy compared to the other two I received which had a ticked box each.

Can you kindly tell me when you requested a SAR from HMRC did they state in a letter you were unemployed and how long did you have to wait for the copy?

I have just sent in a request for my SAR as I had a young child so I know I definitely wasn't working at the time I took the cards out. I'm starting the whole process again with Santander and want proof of the PPI insurance refund they supposedly gave me after the so-called month that they mentioned. I'm wondering whether I will have more luck with Genworth instead.

Cheers!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Apr 17, 10:29 PM
    • 18,499 Posts
    • 8,727 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    LISA0812 - You were lucky with Santander - well done!.
    Originally posted by Sinderella
    Since this thread has almost 37,000 posts, I recommend you look at the date the person you are responding to actually posted. The likelihood is that "LISA0812" hasn't visited this site for a considerable time.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 08-04-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    • Alimayp
    • By Alimayp 10th Apr 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alimayp
    PPI success twice!
    I claimed a PPI refund from First Direct on a loan and received 3,200 back. Pleased with my success, I've just claimed back PPI on behalf of my husband and he's has been offered 8,600.00 by Capital One!!!

In both cases i used the Resolver tool and i thoroughly recommend it.
    • donnam103
    • By donnam103 11th Apr 17, 12:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    donnam103
    Resolver Success
    Used the Resolver Tool to apply for a PPI reclaim on our previous mortgage (with RBS) as we were told when we applied for the mortgage that we had to have banks PPI in place before the mortgage application was completed. Initially told (over the phone) that we were unlikely to be able to reclaim as it was for a mortgage but got sent a very long-winded and confusing form to complete which we never did as it was asking for information which we did not have as had already paid off the mortgage upon sale of our house and also had moved bank account 2 years ago.

Saw the Resolver information on the newsletter a couple of months ago so decided, why not? Filled in their easy form online, received a 30 minute telephone call a couple of weeks later at the end of which got told that our complaint would be upheld and our payments would be refunded. Received offer a week later for more than we were expecting, should have been around 4,500 but was offered 6,200 which we accepted.

Thank you MSE and Resolver!
    • mosteth
    • By mosteth 11th Apr 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mosteth
    PPI complaint upheld!

I took out a graduate loan from Natwest in 2004 to pay off student debts but the PPI I was sold was completely inappropriate - a claim during a subsequent period of unemployment was refused.

Natwest have offered (not yet received) a total refund of PPI premiums and associated interest paid, plus statutory interest, minus income tax on statutory interest. Total = 1985.94.

Hurrah!

Should have done it much sooner, but the Resolver site made it so simple - Thanks MSE!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    • 18,499 Posts
    • 8,727 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Lots of users (with very low post counts) promoting the use of Resolver.

If I was cynical...
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Lots of users (with very low post counts) promoting the use of Resolver.

If I was cynical...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I think to be fair it makes stuff easier and Martin and this site promote it constantly as THE way to complain now, I don't think MSE would need to stoop to making sock puppet accounts. If you look at the PPI guide for example, Resolver is mentioned 15 times and is one of the 3 bold points in the intro guide, it's on the bank charges one 14 times and is on the weekly MSE email etc
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Apr 17, 11:08 PM
    • 18,499 Posts
    • 8,727 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    As I said, if I was cynical..
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 13th Apr 17, 3:39 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    What were you reclaiming: Credit card, but complaint was upheld on a 25K loan from around 15-years ago that had been forgotten about
    Who was the provider: MBNA
    How much did you get back: 7K
    Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: Resolver
    • lynasjacqueline
    • By lynasjacqueline 19th Apr 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lynasjacqueline
    So, this is a strange one! I claimed ppi was miss sold on a loan from Yorkshire bank many years ago in April 2013, the complaint was up held and I received frm memory a pay out of 800 ish a few weeks later. I closed that account and moved house forgetting about it. In march this year I got a letter to say that this redress was potentially incorrect and requesting up to date contact details to discuss it with me, as they requested I took driving liscence etc to local branch to confirm update details. I heard nothing so 4 weeks later rang to see what was happening, they claimed that have sent a letter to my current address( I definately didn't receive anything as you can imagine I was looking out for it!) They refused to discuss the details on the phone but agreed to resend the offer letter. It arrived today, it makes no sense what so ever! The first page has my details and states Iam due more compensation. It sites 9 account numbers they have reinvestigated, the following pages titled appendix one show a summary of the redress due for 15 different account numbers, the name on page one of the appendix is also not mine. The sums involved for this customer are really quite large and initially before I realised it wasn't referring to me I became quite excited! Getting to the last page is an acceptance form which once again has my details on and the loan account nos mentioned on the first page and an offer for compensation amounting to 1462.88. It states I had only 21 days to accept this offer from the date it was issued which ended today. I guess I have a number issues, can I trust the final page offer letter is actually related to me? Can They enforce the 21 day rule given today is the first time I saw it? What should I do about the massive breach of data protection, I now possess all the account nos and name of another customer! Iam wondering if he got my original offer letter dated 28th march!
    Has anyone else been in a similar position or got any advise?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Apr 17, 9:22 PM
    • 11,534 Posts
    • 11,539 Thanks
    zx81
    As per your duplicate post - contact them for clarity.
    • Lanzarote1938
    • By Lanzarote1938 24th Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Lanzarote1938
    I made speculative claims to every organisation I thought I had had credit cards with. I was convinced I had never had PPI. Was very surprised to get a cheque for 1362 from MBNA for a credit card dating back to 1999. Didn't have account number as the card was long since closed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

1,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin