Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > PPI Reclaiming successes and failures (Page 1728)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
Views: 4,546,528
# 34541
spursdebs
Old 06-08-2013, 8:51 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Barclays success

Received 1800 back from Barclays for a friend, they could not find any details of accounts as so long ago, but agreed he did have them. So paid out as a gesture of good faith and agreed he did have PPI and it was miss sold, as he was self employed at time. Most of these PPI were not suitable for self employed people thats my tip of the day.I had no account numbers or details or any information to work on apart from name and address, So even if you have no info it always pays to submit a claim and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 34542
cmacca
Old 06-08-2013, 1:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoham View Post
So, after my wife had a claim upheld on similar circumstances with First Direct, I thought I would give it a go myself with my Halifax Personal Loans.

Sent the form in a few weeks ago and got a call on Wednesday requesting more information.

They honestly wanted me to remember information from 2000, why I wanted the loan etc.

They even asked me how many times I had changed my car!! When I asked why that was pertinent, he said that if it was every three years or so, the loan shouldn't have been allowed to run more than that??

My argument is that I receive sick pay, redundancy pay, death in service benefit and that I should never have been sold the PPI as I didnt require it.

On that basis, do I have a case? As I say, First Direct pay out 15k to my wife on that basis, just getting itchy now that they have called for more information.

I did ask how many claimaints receive a call for more information, and he claimed almost 99%. That can't be right can it?

Can anyone reassure me???
Not the Halifax but Nationwide didn't accept my claim and I had 12 months full sick pay, life insurance, death in service and savings (banked with the nationwide) , I had a call from them about 3 weeks after I submitted my claim asking me all sorts, I even provided them with my contracts of employment etc, they took it right to the last of the 56 days and wrote to me stating they were happy I was eligible for PPI and could have claimed should the need have arisen and the policies were clearly detailed and the sales were non advised. Rejection of claim Final Response. Off to the FOS now.
# 34543
unicorn999
Old 06-08-2013, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default PPI claim with Investor compensations

Unfortunatley i didnt find this site till after i had put in a claim with a claims company,the claim has been ongoing for over twelve months,i recently had a letter from the company saying that barclay card wanted more info,i duely replied with the info they wanted,about a month later i recieved another letter saying that i hadnt replied to thier last letter for more info and so they have had to cancel my claim and as a good will gesture they would not charge me for the work they had already done,this immediatley set alarm bells ringing,i phoned the company and was told the letter had been sent out in error,so i asked for a letter to be sent out confirming my claim was still active,nothing yet after a couple more calls still nothing,i phoned financial ombudsman direct surprised how easy and quick and helpful that was,they confirmed the claim was still live and they had just sent the extra info off to barclycard and needed to give them 28 days to reply,so my question being if my claim is successful then the money will be sent direct to me no doubt with a letter from investor compensation soon after asking for thier fee,can i then turn round to them saying that according to them my claim had been cancelled and i have the letter to prove it
# 34544
amersall
Old 06-08-2013, 4:13 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thanked 17,634 Times in 10,440 Posts

If you have it in writing the claim has been cancelled, contact FOS and let them know this and to let Barclays know that the claims co are not dealing with this claim any more and all correspondence should be sent to you and not the claims co, enclose a copy of the letter from the claims co so the FOS and Barclays have proof of this, this may work but it may not.

Just to let you know, you were told that the claim was cancelled by the claims co, they said the letter was sent in error, the claim was still live according to FOS, if it was still live then it is the claims co that are dealing with this so be ready for a bill just in case.
It could be that the claims co have done with your claim but you won't know until the claim is actually upheld.

# 34545
Turkish delight
Old 06-08-2013, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up Marks and spencer

I received a letter from M+S about 7 weeks ago stating I may have been miss sold ppi I completed a few questions over the phone I received a letter stating all the loan accounts I have had with them over the years. I was shocked to see ppi had been added to them all I was offered a staggering 13,227 this has been accepted and paid to me all done and dusted in 7 weeks very easy process and well worth pursuing. Just hope my claim with Lloyds is as straight forward !!
# 34546
wasawasa
Old 07-08-2013, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had a response from HSBC and although they agreed I had been misold PPI they had no records. I had had the loan from 1995 and used It all the time until 2000 therefore paid PPI every month for 5 yrs. It is a flexable loan and the facilty is still active now should we want to use it, minus the PPI ploicy which has now been cancelled by the bank. We did use it once briefly in 2007 and they have offered us 227 redress for this very brief period, it was repaid very quickly. I asked HSBC to consider calculating a redress as we have been customers since 1977, they flatley refused, so I have referred then to the ombudsman, it may take over a year, however they have already admitted we were missold, but I am so unahppy with them as we genuinley did pay PPI every month for 5 years. I have sent copies of letters etc to the ombudsman, but can they tell the bank to calculate a redress, if the bank have no records or is it likely that we will we just be told sorry but no? others seem to have much more luck than we did and as genuine missold PPI customers, I at present am very unhappy with HSBC. The saga started with the bank telling us initially there was no PPI on the loan, but we had been phoned by the bank after enquiring to say there was, so one of the letters sent to the ombudsman show they lied to us? Any thoughts on how the ombudsman may react to this, and how long are complaints now taking?
# 34547
totallybonkers
Old 07-08-2013, 8:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I made a 7 minute phone call to Natwest (RBS) on Friday, spoke to a very nice and helpful advisor, answered 7 very easy questions and today (Wednesday) they have offered me 120 as a 'goodwill gesture', although looking at the calculations this is what I am due! Cannot complain at that service! Now just to respond and receive my cheque....
Growing Older is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional
The Following User Says Thank You to totallybonkers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34548
LNRansom
Old 07-08-2013, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I submitted my claim with RBS last month and today recieved an offer letter of 10,385!!!

I'm so glad I finally listened to my Dad as he had been going on at me since the whole PPI scandel came out - I was convinced I wouldn't get anything but with his help in filling out the form, I'm so glad I did!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LNRansom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34549
amanda12
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry ppi claimed

Im feeling a bit confused. I rang Barclays in December to ask about PPI...and was told I could claim absoultely nothing by a very arrogant custer services person. As I wasnt convinced I went to a claims manangement company.....and to cut a long story short...I have 6 agreements with PPI attached. One has been paid today for overdrafts and the other 5 are being investigated. What really annoyed me is that now im losing 30% to a claims company all because I was mis informed back in December. Is there anything I can do. I have the call on my phone bill to Barclays and wondered whether its worth asking them for a copy of the call.
# 34550
-taff
Old 08-08-2013, 1:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,739 Posts

There will be nothing you can do. If you asked about 'claiming' then they were entirely accurate, you can claim for nothing on PPI that you have stopped paying. If you had asked to make a complaint, then that would be different.

It was your choice to use a claims company because you weren't convinced instead of sending a SAR and a 10 cheque.
# 34551
amersall
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasawasa View Post
I had a response from HSBC and although they agreed I had been misold PPI they had no records. I had had the loan from 1995 and used It all the time until 2000 therefore paid PPI every month for 5 yrs. It is a flexable loan and the facilty is still active now should we want to use it, minus the PPI ploicy which has now been cancelled by the bank. We did use it once briefly in 2007 and they have offered us 227 redress for this very brief period, it was repaid very quickly. I asked HSBC to consider calculating a redress as we have been customers since 1977, they flatley refused, so I have referred then to the ombudsman, it may take over a year, however they have already admitted we were missold, but I am so unahppy with them as we genuinley did pay PPI every month for 5 years. I have sent copies of letters etc to the ombudsman, but can they tell the bank to calculate a redress, if the bank have no records or is it likely that we will we just be told sorry but no? others seem to have much more luck than we did and as genuine missold PPI customers, I at present am very unhappy with HSBC. The saga started with the bank telling us initially there was no PPI on the loan, but we had been phoned by the bank after enquiring to say there was, so one of the letters sent to the ombudsman show they lied to us? Any thoughts on how the ombudsman may react to this, and how long are complaints now taking?
As this flexi account is still live, I would have thought that they would have this info, do you have no proof either, don't you get statements every month, even though the account is not used should it not still generate a statement?, I have an account like this with HBOS it has not been used for years but I still get statements monthly and a yearly one.

You should have done a Sar request with the bank, this may have proved more fruitful for you.

If they have no proof and neither do you, the FOS cannot get the proof and they may side with the bank.
This should not take long if there is no proof of the PPI paid previously as there will be nothing to investigate, it may help to send the Sar request to HSBC, enclose 10 and ask for all info they hold on you, this will take approx 40 days but it may, it may not, throw up extra info, 13 years is a long time but you never know.

The Following User Says Thank You to amersall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34552
mumof3boys
Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Barclays success!

Just wanted to say we have today received an offer from Barclays of all our payments back plus interest!

Total of 19.5k ! It was on a secured loan that we had thankfully now paid off! Lesson learnt.

It has been a long battle and has taken us two years but definitely worth it. Keep fighting !

Many thanks to this site and all the advice.

The Following User Says Thank You to mumof3boys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34553
Zzippyman
Old 08-08-2013, 1:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default A "no" from Nationwide...

I received a letter today from Nationwide informing me my claim had not been upheld. A bit of background:
Our PPI with Nationwide dated from when my wife and I took out a mortgage with them in 1992, at which time we clearly remember the strongly implied message that we would not have been granted a mortgage had we not taken out a mortgage payment protection policy, to 2005 when we paid off our mortgages early. At that time we didn't feel we needed it as our wages were always more than enough to cover the payments if one of us was unemployed/sick etc.. Over time, our careers developed and the mortgage payments became less of a percentage of our income amounts, so we were in a position to pay off our mortgage six years early. We did take out another mortgage on another property in 2001 and increased that amount in 2003, but we declined PPI for those as they weren't necessary as we intended paying them off early as well. During that time, we made one claim in 1993 and another in 2005 for unemployment payment, although we only took payment for the first as we paid off the mortgages before payment of the second in 2005. Nationwide have asked for documentation of my employer's sickness payment arrangements/timescales from 1992 - naturally I don't have them.

I'm taking my claim to the Ombudsman for two main reasons:

Firstly, as I've highlighted in bold above: "the strongly implied message that we would not have been granted a mortgage had we not taken out a mortgage payment protection policy". Nationwide have argued that we had PPI explained to ourselves when we applied for the mortgage (which is true, we did tick that box), but we clearly recall feeling we had no choice but to accept it, so we have to argue our side of the case without any documentary evidence showing what influenced us to tick that box.

And secondly, Nationwide's argument that our making a claim against the policy in 1993 proves our need for such a policy (they even suggested it was "prudent" in their letter - no change there then). We don't agree, the mortgage amount was easily payable by ourselves at that time, our claim was merely made to collect what we were due from a policy we had been paying for. We feel that our being able to pay off our mortgages early (as we'd planned) proves we had no need for PPI in the first place.

We feel we have been fobbed off by a "cut and paste" argument that could be applied to any mortgage applicants claim from that time - we simply cannot prove that we sat across from the mortgage arranger and felt pressured into taking out PPI for fear of not receiving a mortgage amount.

Now I'm not being opportunistic or greedy in my claim, I simply want them to reconsider - and not do it again. I am being moany though

Last edited by Zzippyman; 08-08-2013 at 1:19 PM.
# 34554
wasawasa
Old 08-08-2013, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amersall View Post
As this flexi account is still live, I would have thought that they would have this info, do you have no proof either, don't you get statements every month, even though the account is not used should it not still generate a statement?, I have an account like this with HBOS it has not been used for years but I still get statements monthly and a yearly one.

You should have done a Sar request with the bank, this may have proved more fruitful for you.

If they have no proof and neither do you, the FOS cannot get the proof and they may side with the bank.
This should not take long if there is no proof of the PPI paid previously as there will be nothing to investigate, it may help to send the Sar request to HSBC, enclose 10 and ask for all info they hold on you, this will take approx 40 days but it may, it may not, throw up extra info, 13 years is a long time but you never know.
Thanks for your help, no I do not ever get statements and have not for years, I am surprised myself that the bank have not got info from when we commenced the loan as it is still active and potentially could be used. My only thought was that as the FO will be able to see from the letters i sent them recived from HSBC we have been lied to and I was hoping they could tell the bank to calculate an estimated redress, as I know some people get lucky and get an offer without any investigation. Do you that this could be a possibilty?
# 34555
-taff
Old 08-08-2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzippyman View Post
We feel we have been fobbed off by a "cut and paste" argument that could be applied to any mortgage applicants claim from that time - we simply cannot prove that we sat across from the mortgage arranger and felt pressured into taking out PPI for fear of not receiving a mortgage amount.
Your wages will not have been enough to cover your mortgage if one of you died, so you did have a need, you weren't single, so you did have a need, you made a claim [instead of using your wages?] so you did have a need.
# 34556
Zzippyman
Old 08-08-2013, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -taff View Post
Your wages will not have been enough to cover your mortgage if one of you died, so you did have a need, you weren't single, so you did have a need, you made a claim [instead of using your wages?] so you did have a need.
Our wages, individually, were enough to cover the mortgage repayments. Also, had one of us died, the combination of life insurance and death in service payments would have more than covered them. As for making a claim even if it wasn't needed for that purpose, I can only ask - wouldn't you? We'd paid for it after all...
The Following User Says Thank You to Zzippyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34557
Igamogam
Old 08-08-2013, 4:23 PM

Thanked 17,786 Times in 3,032 Posts

Quote:
Our wages, individually, were enough to cover the mortgage repayments. Also, had one of us died, the combination of life insurance and death in service payments would have more than covered them. As for making a claim even if it wasn't needed for that purpose, I can only ask - wouldn't you? We'd paid for it after all...
We have had PPI refunded from LLoyds for mortgage PPI and my OH has had PPI refunded from CC - we claimed on both when OH was made redundant which we made clear in our complaint but were still refunded all the premiums plus interest............the complaint after all is that the PPI ws sold to us unnecessarily. I agree with you Zippy
Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
The Following User Says Thank You to Igamogam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34558
-taff
Old 08-08-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:

Your death in service was only as good as long as you had that job, and unless it was a job in the armed forces or a policeman, could have been terminated at any time.

Don't expect an uphold at the FOS and you won't be disappointed.
# 34559
amersall
Old 08-08-2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasawasa View Post
Thanks for your help, no I do not ever get statements and have not for years, I am surprised myself that the bank have not got info from when we commenced the loan as it is still active and potentially could be used. My only thought was that as the FO will be able to see from the letters i sent them recived from HSBC we have been lied to and I was hoping they could tell the bank to calculate an estimated redress, as I know some people get lucky and get an offer without any investigation. Do you that this could be a possibilty?
I don't know what FOS will do to be honest, if HSBC don't have any records of any PPI then they cannot calculate a possible redress, if they cannot find info then they have not "lied" only said you have no PPI as they cannot find it, If I were you, I would try the Sar for 10, it is a long shot but you may get lucky and they may find info.

The Following User Says Thank You to amersall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34560
sparkeyMac2
Old 08-08-2013, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's is new to me so sorry if its in the wrong post or not following forum etiquette! I have tried twice to claim ppi on my mortgage taken out in 2000 with Halifax. First time letter back saying it wasn't ppi next letter saying they weren't upholding my complaint because of their internal sales notes, our knowledge of their sales process and documentation at the time, your policy booklet, your application form and your age and employment and medical status at the outset of the policy. I have been made redundant twice in this time and if I had known I had a policy I could have utilised this instead of my savings during these periods of unemployment totalling eight months in three years. Do I have anywhere to go now or do I have to accept this? Hopefully someone can help with my query. Many thanks in advance