Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 4:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 12
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Aug 17, 9:55 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    WAYT
    I used the MSE code to open a Starling Account. Opened in five minutes, debit card with me two days later. Loaded some cash today by transfer and looking forward to zero cost Euro withdrawals. So far it has been exceptionally easy.
    Originally posted by emmbrook
    What code would that be?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Aug 17, 12:12 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 809 Thanks
    Anthorn
    A new kid on the block is the B credit card from Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks. No FX fees and representative 9.9% APR. But you still pay for cash withdrawals.

I have a B current account and a B savings account. I applied and it was referred. I heard next day that I had been approved and I had to log in to the existing application to get the details and approve it. I got the 9.9% APR but a credit limit of just £500 which is my lowest ever in a Prime credit card and pretty much ridiculously low. App based so you need the B app on iOS or Android.

Lastly it has a big B on it

Here's a link:
    http://www.ybonline.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/b-credit-card/
    Last edited by Anthorn; 12-08-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Link added
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 12th Aug 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    richardc1983
    Anyone heard of Monzo prepaid card? Zero charges for using abroad.

https://monzo.com/about/
    Originally posted by richardc1983
    My card came and it's very easy to use. A good app too quite impressed.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    • cotton24
    • By cotton24 23rd Aug 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cotton24
    As it sounded too good to be true, I got the Barclay platinum travel card in July (for foreign use only) because of it's zero charges for 5 years and no interest charged if paid on time, especially by direct debit to be sure. In other words I don't have to carry wads of sterling when abroad and can just go to an ATM and get local best rate cash.
    Wrong! I tested the system last week in Thailand and tried for 5,000 Baht but the machine wanted 220 Baht 'local fees' which equates to a whopping 4.4%. I also tried 2 other ATMs owned by different banks and they wanted the same fees. To make really sure, I tried Halifax Clarity and Saga Platinum cards and all the ATMs wanted exactly the same 4.4%!
    Therefore beware, there may be no UK charges but Johnny Foreigner Bank wants his cut for cash! Needless to say, it's back to cash exchanges for me!
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 23rd Aug 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    richardc1983
    As it sounded too good to be true, I got the Barclay platinum travel card in July (for foreign use only) because of it's zero charges for 5 years and no interest charged if paid on time, especially by direct debit to be sure. In other words I don't have to carry wads of sterling when abroad and can just go to an ATM and get local best rate cash.
    Wrong! I tested the system last week in Thailand and tried for 5,000 Baht but the machine wanted 220 Baht 'local fees' which equates to a whopping 4.4%. I also tried 2 other ATMs owned by different banks and they wanted the same fees. To make really sure, I tried Halifax Clarity and Saga Platinum cards and all the ATMs wanted exactly the same 4.4%!
    Therefore beware, there may be no UK charges but Johnny Foreigner Bank wants his cut for cash! Needless to say, it's back to cash exchanges for me!
    Originally posted by cotton24
    Worked fine for me over in Spain but noticed one bank over there (Banco Sabadell) wanted to charge a withdrawal fee, that's nothing to do with Barclaycard though and is down to the bank your trying to use your card in. So its useful to try other banks when your over there.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 23rd Aug 17, 9:35 AM
    • 12,873 Posts
    • 17,037 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    You just happened to pick one of the few places on Earth notorious for excessive ATM charges.

If you go practically anywhere else, you will get free withdrawals. Check on here first.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 23rd Aug 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    eDicky
    Needless to say, it's back to cash exchanges for me!
    For Thailand exchanging cash (in Thailand) is cheaper than withdrawing from ATMs, all Thai banks charge Bt220 per withdrawal using any foreign card. Some banks may allow an 'over the counter' withdrawal without fee.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 23rd Aug 17, 10:39 AM
    • 6,969 Posts
    • 8,586 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    And if you'd used a "normal" credit card you'd have been slammed for an extra 3% on top.
    • reusserg
    • By reusserg 30th Aug 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    reusserg
    Credit Card Confusion!
    Hi all,
    I'm due to go on a 7 month sabbatical in November and have got a Starling account which I intend to use as my primary card for the duration. I'll be transferring from my Santander 123 account to Starling as I go to keep the interest coming in from Santander.
    I've been saving for a couple of years and believe I have enough saved to cover the trip but would like to take along a credit card as a back up incase money gets tight.
    If I use the credit card I won't necessarily be able to pay off in full until I return so I'm torn between a "travel" credit card and a "zero % purchase" card.
    Can anyone suggest a card which ticks all the boxes?
    Cheers!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 30th Aug 17, 10:32 PM
    • 12,873 Posts
    • 17,037 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Why does it have to be one card? Two or more would be more versatile and would give you multiple back-up options.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 30th Aug 17, 11:41 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    eDicky
    If I use the credit card I won't necessarily be able to pay off in full until I return so I'm torn between a "travel" credit card and a "zero % purchase" card.
    Can anyone suggest a card which ticks all the boxes?
    Cheers!
    Originally posted by reusserg
    Have a look at this one, 0% on purchases for 12 months but it's no good for cash withdrawals:

https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/credit-cards/travel-card/
    • Wanderlustg
    • By Wanderlustg 5th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Wanderlustg
    Starling Bank
    I applied for a Starling Bank account back in August.
    The card arrived in three days and the setup and online transfer from an existing current was easy. I used it for three weeks in South Africa and it worked fine with no charges, however you should be aware that not all foreign banks are equal and some will charge and some will not, and different banks have different daily limits. The ATM will warn you if it's going to charge, so if it does decline and move on to the next banks ATM.
    For South Africa
    NED is free with a 5000 ZAR daily limit.
    FNB is free with a 3000 ZAR daily limit.
    ABSA wanted to charge a fee
    Standard want to charge a fee
    Bidvest want to charge a fee
    • dgordon
    • By dgordon 10th Oct 17, 2:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dgordon
    Easy FX multi curency travel card
    Hi, have MSE or anyone else looked into the Easy FX One Card multi currency travel card and used it in Europe and overseas (local currency atm withdrawal from one of the supported multi currency's).
    Sorry - not allowed to give link to easyfx site

I have just received my card, but will not be using it before End of December in India.

Looks like a good for charge free ATM and vendor payments.
    Thanks.
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 12th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    Just applied for a Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card and got declined, despite the fact that I have a very high 900 credit rating, never failed a payment on anything, been at the same address for 24 years and so on. What else do they want? Bells?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 6,969 Posts
    • 8,586 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Just applied for a Barclaycard Platinum Travel Credit Card and got declined, despite the fact that I have a very high 900 credit rating, never failed a payment on anything, been at the same address for 24 years and so on. What else do they want? Bells?
    Originally posted by Shugg McGlummfer
    You should apply for plastic with the firm that scores you as a dead high 900.

They obviously think you're a good risk.
    • Shugg McGlummfer
    • By Shugg McGlummfer 15th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shugg McGlummfer
    It's the credit eating agencies that score me 900, so goodness knows why Barclaycard think different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,460Posts Today

7,810Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin