Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 158Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 4:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 4:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 11
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 13th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    How come the creation card has been taken off the MSE article?
    Originally posted by MiraculousM
    Still there:
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    eDicky
    The Creation Everyday link in the list is not starred, no commission earned per click. Less reason to remain among those recommended by MSE.
    • steven07968
    • By steven07968 18th Jun 17, 11:28 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    steven07968
    I'm after an account to use abroad (India), with no fees for withdrawls, as i'm more likely to use ATM's, than pay using a card.

I've used Nationwide and Metrobank current accounts previously, however, both are now only free within Europe.

I've not currently got a credit card, but see that the top 4 listed are currently free for payments and ATM's, however, some charge interest until paid back. Is there an easy way not to incur these interest charges, by automatically paying off the credit card?

Otherwise, are there any current accounts which are free for using at ATM's?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 18th Jun 17, 12:14 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    I'm after an account to use abroad (India), with no fees for withdrawls, as i'm more likely to use ATM's, than pay using a card.

I've used Nationwide and Metrobank current accounts previously, however, both are now only free within Europe.

I've not currently got a credit card, but see that the top 4 listed are currently free for payments and ATM's, however, some charge interest until paid back. Is there an easy way not to incur these interest charges, by automatically paying off the credit card?

Originally posted by steven07968
    If using a CC, cover your withdrawals asap via an online banking Faster Payment.

Otherwise you have Monzo and Loot.io. I'm not sure if Starling Bank have begun to issue cards as of yet. You can check.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jun 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    eDicky
    I'm not sure if Starling Bank have begun to issue cards as of yet.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    I'm already using Starling Bank, the card has been working perfectly in various countries. Transactions appear instantly on the excellent app, with the rate and details updated on settlement a day or two later. No issues of avoiding interest payments as with a credit card, in fact Starling pay you a little interest on your deposited funds, FSCS protected.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,595 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I'm already using Starling Bank, the card has been working perfectly in various countries. Transactions appear instantly on the excellent app, with the rate and details updated on settlement a day or two later. No issues of avoiding interest payments as with a credit card, in fact Starling pay you a little interest on your deposited funds, FSCS protected.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    How easy was it to open an account? Do they require a minimum monthly deposit, for example?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • steven07968
    • By steven07968 18th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    steven07968

Originally posted by steven07968
    If using a CC, cover your withdrawals asap via an online banking Faster Payment.

Otherwise you have Monzo and Loot.io. I'm not sure if Starling Bank have begun to issue cards as of yet. You can check.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    Originally posted by eDicky
    If doable, I'm more than happy to pre-load money, so the account is in credit. Is that allowable with CC accounts?
    • karen101081
    • By karen101081 24th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    karen101081
    N&p
    I'm with N&P & see they are closing down their accounts..
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 24th Jun 17, 8:34 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    I'm with N&P & see they are closing down their accounts..
    Originally posted by karen101081
    Travel credit card?

Starling Bank or if you are not of the Smartphone generation, Virgin Money Essential Current Account Issue 2 may be of use to you.
    • Mouse007
    • By Mouse007 28th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Mouse007
    Daughter has just started working as cabin crew for BA, the Starling Card (fee free purchases and cash worldwide) is perfect for her on stop overs.

No need to "switch" bank accounts, just have it as a second account and top it up from your other account before travelling.

Application easy (download app and follow instructions) and to be honest a couple of weeks wait to set up is not that long.
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 28th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    richardc1983
    Anyone heard of Monzo prepaid card? Zero charges for using abroad.

https://monzo.com/about/
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    • nick pike
    • By nick pike 28th Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    nick pike
    Confused
    I have been reading the MSE pages on this subject, and cannot find the following scenario.

I have an HSBC debit card. There are no fees on spending but charges for ATM withdrawals.
    MSE suggests the Halifax card is best, as there are no spending of ATM fees. But it states there is interest on ATM withdrawals. My question is, if I leave a satisfactory amount in a Halifax account, so use my Halifax account as a store of cash, and ATM withdraw from that account, but the account remains in the black, will there be any fees/ interest at all?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,595 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The Halifax Clarity credit is one of the best. As it is a credit card, you cannot use it as a store of cash (it's against the T & Cs).

As a new applicant, you will pay interest on any ATM cash withdrawals at a rate of about 1.5 to 2% a month. If you pay off the amount you have withdrawn from the ATMs as soon as you can, the interest is pennies.

To put in perspective, we use Clarities for travel spending/cash. Admittedly our interest rates are lower at 12% pa, but our last trip to Australia lasted a month and we paid 78p (from memory) in interest on cash withdrawn over that period.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 29-06-2017 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Apparently, interest rates have increased for new applicants.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 29th Jun 17, 4:05 PM
    • 6,590 Posts
    • 8,084 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    The Halifax Clarity credit is one of the best. As it is a credit card, you cannot use it as a store of cash (it's against the T & Cs).

You will pay interest on any ATM cash withdrawals at a rate of about 1% a month. If you pay off the amount you have withdrawn from the ATMs as soon as you can, the interest is pennies.

To put in perspective, we use Clarities for travel spending/cash. Our last trip to Australia lasted a month and we paid 78p (from memory) in interest on cash withdrawn over that period.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    While your overall point remains valid, the lowest APR on offer is now much higher.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,595 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    While your overall point remains valid, the lowest APR on offer is now much higher.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Ta. I've edited my post to reflect the increased rates.
    • basiaking
    • By basiaking 2nd Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    basiaking
    Starling Bank
    I downloaded the Starling app on to my iPhone and registered for a Starling current account a few days ago and received an invitation code a day or two later. Once they text you the code, you can open the account within the app. They just ask you your name, address and then you make a short video of yourself just saying one sentence and then you take a photo of either your passport or driving license and that's basically it. They don't ask any questions about how you will fund your account or where you work - nothing. I was issued with an account number and sort code immediately and a few hours later received a message from them that my details had been verified and my card will be posted on Monday. All very straightforward so far. Looking forward to receiving my card, however, I have been playing with the account and transferred some money in and then out again all with great ease. A massive selling point is that all contactless payments will show up immediately. With my Lloyds account it takes a couple of days for contactless payments to show up but with this account, everything is in real time so as soon as you make the payment using contactless, you get a notification and the balance adjusts straight away. There is also a nice little feature where you can 'freeze' your debit card if you lose it making the card inactive but you can 'defrost' the card if you find it again! So far so good!
    • trevor2522
    • By trevor2522 7th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    trevor2522
    Which Card Best to Apply if on Low Income?
    I don't want to go down the list in sequence, wrecking my credit rating. No CCJs, adverse information or bad credit -- just low income (£12,200). Is it any help to apply for a card associated with my main bank, e.g. Barclaycard for Barclays? Just want a credit card for Section 75 purchase protection and travel. Thanks.
    • Tharweb
    • By Tharweb 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Tharweb
    I can't answer your question, but I do know that Barclaycard have a particularly good deal on a "travel" credit card at the moment. No fees for overseas spending or cash withdrawals as long as you pay off the balance in full when you get your statement, this is until 31 August 2022. Click here

If you think it looks good for what you need, Click here for an eligibility check that won't affect your credit rating.
    This site has saved me a fortune ...it's also cost me a fortune!
    © Tharweb 2006
    • mattnicks
    • By mattnicks 14th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mattnicks
    Starling Bank - smooth application process
    Brilliant service from Starling Bank to set up account. Simply download the app, add your phone number and then received an SMS message to verify mobile number and advised the next code to open account would be sent within 2 weeks. Instead it turned up in two days.

Then takes five minutes to fill out some basic information - name, address. No questions re income, or need to move bank account, or pay in minimum amount per month etc. Add a photo of either passport or driving license and a quick video of yourself and all done.

Account confirmed immediately, and verified same day, with confirmation of overdraft facility.

Card arrived today, six days since first downloading the app. Super service all round.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,139Posts Today

9,111Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin