Holiday cancellation due to family illness

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No, just business. People cancelling for serious illness, deaths etc happens multiple times everyday. Business cannot afford to refund everyone that has non refundable rooms or flights tickets. ....

Ryanair have and can afford it though.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • richardw wrote: »
    Ryanair have and can afford it though.

and?

They state in their T&Cs they may refund in the event of serious illness or death, at their discretion, and in this case they have. Plenty of complaints where they haven't.
  • richardw
    They state in their T&Cs they may refund in the event of serious illness or death, at their discretion, and in this case they have. ...

Yes, but in this case easyJet haven't, so in this case Ryanair can afford it.

Meanwhile easyJet have just ordered 30 A321neo aircraft each seating 235 people, so somethings they can afford. Apalling in the context of such very serious illness and yes totally callous.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's business, just because they can afford it doesnt mean they should. Where would it end ? People claiming back for things they have bought and not had full use from ? Cars that they can no longer drive ?
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    Yes, but in this case easyJet haven't, so in this case Ryanair can afford it.

Meanwhile easyJet have just ordered 30 A321neo aircraft each seating 235 people, so somethings they can afford. Apalling in the context of such very serious illness and yes totally callous.

Easyjet have ordered new aircraft. Yes we know. Aircraft need replacing and businesses need to grow. Yes they can afford to, but does that mean they should refund everyone that has a serious medical problem and needs to cancel? I fail to see what a long term investment has to be do with refunding customers who bought non refundable tickets and new the terms and conditions surrounding cancellation.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see nothing callous in it. Cancer, unfortunately is hardly an unusual event, and seems to be more common every year, unless we just hear more about it.

Several years ago I had to cancel due to FIL cancer. It didn't cross my mind to try to claim non refundable flights or villa back, and had I asked and was told no I certainly wouldn't be slagging them off on a public forum.

Insurance is the first port of call for non refundable elements. Cancellation/medical problems are usually the main reason we buy it.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mraardvark wrote: »
    Crystal Travel and Virgin Atlantic say that as my wife is not currently in hospital they won't refund, even though we provided a written confirmation from the medical practitioner that she would be unable to travel, and we should claim on the insurance - no mention even of the refund of APD- totally callous or what!

I have no problem at all with people asking airlines, hotels, etc. for a goodwill gesture when serious illness prevents travel. However, I really dislike it when people who are refused act as if they've been the victim of some moral injustice. Travel insurance is relatively inexpensive and will usually only amount to small percentage of the overall travel cost. If you decide not to take it out then you are either careless, cheap, or you've decided that you want to self-insure. In neither case do you have a right to portray yourself as victim when an airline (or other company) does not agree to (effectively) provide you with free travel insurance that other people pay for. That's my 2 cents anyway.
  • richardw
    .... does that mean they should refund everyone that has a serious medical problem and needs to cancel? ....

They should do exactly what ryanair do

"10.4 Death or serious illness of a booked passenger
    In the event of the serious illness of a passenger making it impossible to travel (or death), the reservations of the affected passenger and of persons travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded or, as appropriate, modified by our waiving any restriction or fee on changing flights upon suitable documentary evidence produced to us in advance of the date of travel."

..and exercise a bit of humanity in serious situations.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite

In the event of the serious illness of a passenger making it impossible to travel (or death), the reservations of the affected passenger and of persons travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded or, as appropriate, modified by our waiving any restriction or fee on changing flights upon suitable documentary evidence produced to us in advance of the date of travel."

Why should they do that, and where do you draw the line?

Should we all stop buying insurance because the airlines will refund us if we're ill?
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite

It's obvious you think airlines are a charity, whereas I don't.

Why buy insurance at all you have to do is go to the airline? There are multiple serious situations airlines have to deal with every day of the year. Do they just refund them all?

Why stop with airlines? Why not say tour operators should do the same?

To hell with it. Sell everything cheap and just give people their money back when they have problems, even though they can reclaim the monies elsewhere aka travel insurance.
  • richardw
    It's obvious you think airlines are a charity....

No, one airline is acting with humanity in the OP's very serious situation and others aren't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure