Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lukebav1982
    0 WOW
    Holiday cancellation due to family illness
    • 13th May 15, 2:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Holiday cancellation due to family illness 13th May 15 at 2:02 PM
    Hi,

My wife and I have a 1 week holiday booked to Sorrento on 6th June. We booked this in February through Expedia, with flights seperately through Easyjet.

Unfortunately my mother in law has been going through cancer treatment for the last 6 months and very recently her condition has worsened, meaning that she will not be with us for very much longer.

Obviously we therefore wish to cancel our holiday plans.

We had travel insurance at the time of booking the holiday, which expired but we have since renewed this. We also mad both the holiday booking and flight booking on credit card.

The Expedia booking states that the hotel is not refundable and cannot be cancelled.

I was wondering the best course of action to be taken to try and get a refund from all parties?

Many Thanks,

Luke
Page 2
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 17, 2:37 PM
    • 17,746 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    richardw
    It's obvious you think airlines are a charity....
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    No, one airline is acting with humanity in the OP's very serious situation and others aren't.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th May 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    No, one airline is acting with humanity in the OP's very serious situation and others aren't.
    Originally posted by richardw
    The moral if the story seems to be either book with Ryan Air rather than Easyjet or get travel insurance
    Last edited by gettingtheresometime; 18-05-2017 at 6:45 PM.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • serko
    • By serko 18th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    serko
    I don't think you can say Ryanair will always be better than Easyjet. The most likely scenario is that the Ryanair flights were bought in the sale at say £30 the flight is now full, so they are confident they can resell the tickets at £200 or more so it's actually beneficial for them to refund a non-refundable ticket.

Now imagine that the Easyjet flights were bought at £150 the flight is nowhere near full and they are currently selling tickets on that flight for £60 so they don't refund a non-refundable ticket.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 18th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    jpsartre
    The most likely scenario is that the Ryanair flights were bought in the sale at say £30 the flight is now full, so they are confident they can resell the tickets at £200 or more so it's actually beneficial for them to refund a non-refundable ticket.
    Originally posted by serko
    I doubt that's a likely scenario. If that's the case they were fools to sell the seat for £30 originally. And I don't think Ryanair are fools.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th May 17, 6:08 AM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 5,854 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I doubt that's a likely scenario. If that's the case they were fools to sell the seat for £30 originally. And I don't think Ryanair are fools.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    You seem to be ignoring the yielded management software that the budget airlines run on their pricing models. It helps their cash flow and makes sure that flights are filled at the best price.

Prices will generally increase closer to departure time, and original prices will vary dependent on anticipated demand, such as school holidays. If sales are slow then prices may decrease to stimulate demand, so booking early whilst generally advantageous doesn't guarantee the cheapest price.

The proposed scenario is certainly possible, if nothing else Ryanair have had the money for several months in any case, and may be able to sell seats at an increased cost.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 19th May 17, 6:45 AM
    • 5,703 Posts
    • 10,603 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Is it not possible to still go, is her condition likely to see her off in the next 3 weeks.
    Even if she passes away while you are away, there really is noting you could do and rushing back whould be futile.

Just a thought.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Some people wouldn't leave a family member to die or suffer illness alone.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 19th May 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You seem to be ignoring the yielded management software that the budget airlines run on their pricing models. It helps their cash flow and makes sure that flights are filled at the best price.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    I'm not ignoring anything and I didn't say the scenario described was impossible, just unlikely. If a seat that was sold for £30 could have easily been sold for £200 at a later stage then the airline made a mistake putting it for sale for £30 in the first place.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 5,854 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I'm not ignoring anything and I didn't say the scenario described was impossible, just unlikely. If a seat that was sold for £30 could have easily been sold for £200 at a later stage then the airline made a mistake putting it for sale for £30 in the first place.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    No, you just don't understand the business model.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

9,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin