Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lukebav1982
    0 WOW
    Holiday cancellation due to family illness
    • 13th May 15, 2:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Holiday cancellation due to family illness 13th May 15 at 2:02 PM
    Hi,

My wife and I have a 1 week holiday booked to Sorrento on 6th June. We booked this in February through Expedia, with flights seperately through Easyjet.

Unfortunately my mother in law has been going through cancer treatment for the last 6 months and very recently her condition has worsened, meaning that she will not be with us for very much longer.

Obviously we therefore wish to cancel our holiday plans.

We had travel insurance at the time of booking the holiday, which expired but we have since renewed this. We also mad both the holiday booking and flight booking on credit card.

The Expedia booking states that the hotel is not refundable and cannot be cancelled.

I was wondering the best course of action to be taken to try and get a refund from all parties?

Many Thanks,

Luke
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 13th May 15, 2:12 PM
    • 10,580 Posts
    • 6,929 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 13th May 15, 2:12 PM
    • 13th May 15, 2:12 PM
    Flights - you can either cancel and reclaim some taxes or look to change the dates
    Hotel - non-refundable so nothing back there
    Travel Insurance will be your port of call, the issue could be the wording of your policy. Some will not cover cancelling for someone that is not travelling if they had pre-existing conditions unless they were declared at the time
    Booking on credit card does not affect anything, the credit card would be jointly liable with the supplier but the supplier is still happy to provide the service you have purchased
    Best case - taxes from Easyjet, remainder from insurance (less excess)
    Worst case - taxes from Easyjet only
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 13th May 15, 2:26 PM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 13th May 15, 2:26 PM
    • 13th May 15, 2:26 PM
    The chances of being covered by the insurance seem to be pretty much zero to me - I can't imagine there being a single standard insurer out there that would cover cancelling for someone with a known serious condition at the time of booking getting worse.

Depending on what you've booked and how much they are, trying to rearrange the dates for next year could be an option. Easyjet is unlikely to budge but the hotel might.
    • chancesare
    • By chancesare 13th May 15, 3:34 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    chancesare
    • 13th May 15, 3:34 PM
    • 13th May 15, 3:34 PM
    As above ^.

The illness was known at time of booking. Without being blunt, unless there is a death close to your travel date I don't suspect you will be covered.
    • Obviously the best
    • By Obviously the best 13th May 15, 6:19 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Obviously the best
    • 13th May 15, 6:19 PM
    • 13th May 15, 6:19 PM
    I think about the only option you have is to ask your travel insurers very nicely if they can help.
    OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)
  • Lizzie2995
    • 25th May 15, 5:43 PM
    • 25th May 15, 5:43 PM
    My mother died when I was due to fly with Easyjet. They were very kind and let me re-book flights at a later date. It is worth a call followed up by copy if death certificate. A big company showing compassion at times like this can mean a lot, i'm sorry for your news.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 25th May 15, 5:59 PM
    • 35,404 Posts
    • 45,565 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 25th May 15, 5:59 PM
    • 25th May 15, 5:59 PM
    Is it not possible to still go, is her condition likely to see her off in the next 3 weeks.
    Even if she passes away while you are away, there really is noting you could do and rushing back whould be futile.

Just a thought.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • tug
    • By tug 28th Jul 15, 12:23 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    tug
    • 28th Jul 15, 12:23 AM
    • 28th Jul 15, 12:23 AM
    We had booked a flight to Mallorca in November for travel in April 2015. My mother in law became ill just before the holiday and we cancelled. She subsequently died in May.
    I claimed on my multi trip travel insurance and received only £19 due to £100 excess for each of us. They advised me to claim the £26 APD tax from the airline, Jet2.
    Jet2 sent me £1, saying they charged a £25 "admin fee".
    So a total of £20 received on a loss of £260 seems a poor result!
    • mraardvark
    • By mraardvark 18th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mraardvark
    • 18th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 18th May 17, 9:43 AM
    My wife has just been diagnosed with cancer - we had three holidays booked prior to the devastating diagnosis - Beziers with Ryanair and AirBnB - got full refund from both. EasyJet and Booking .com to Sardinia - both say no refund - claim on your insurance. And New York at the end of August, with Virgin Atlantic, through Crystal Travel and accommodation through AirBnB. Got full refund from AirBnB but Crystal Travel and Virgin Atlantic say that as my wife is not currently in hospital they won't refund, even though we provided a written confirmation from the medical practitioner that she would be unable to travel, and we should claim on the insurance - no mention even of the refund of APD- totally callous or what!
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 18th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 6,559 Posts
    • 8,049 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    totally callous or what
    I am really sorry to hear about your wife. I've spent the last six months knowing I've got cancer.

But a refund is what insurance is for. Not what "non-refundable" bookings are for.

Anything a firm gives you over and above nothing is generous.

There's also the other side of things. I'm a dead man walking. I can't get any insurance that will cover my cancer. But I'm booking flights and accommodation knowing this. My family don't expect refunds if something happens while I'm away.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    totally callous or what!
    Originally posted by mraardvark

No, just business. People cancelling for serious illness, deaths etc happens multiple times everyday. Business cannot afford to refund everyone that has non refundable rooms or flights tickets. If you want the luxury of having refundable ones then you need to book and pay for them accordingly. Businesses shouldn't have to refund non refundable purchases. They can offer a gesture of goodwill should they choose to, but you buy insurance to cover for the non refundable elements. That is who you need to claim from, and you just submit an APD claim to the airline.

I'm sorry about your wife. Cancer is the pits, and I'm sure most people have been touched by it at some point in time. I know I certainly have.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 17,857 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    richardw
    No, just business. People cancelling for serious illness, deaths etc happens multiple times everyday. Business cannot afford to refund everyone that has non refundable rooms or flights tickets. ....
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Ryanair have and can afford it though.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Ryanair have and can afford it though.
    Originally posted by richardw
    and?

They state in their T&Cs they may refund in the event of serious illness or death, at their discretion, and in this case they have. Plenty of complaints where they haven't.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 17,857 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    richardw
    They state in their T&Cs they may refund in the event of serious illness or death, at their discretion, and in this case they have. ...
    Yes, but in this case easyJet haven't, so in this case Ryanair can afford it.

Meanwhile easyJet have just ordered 30 A321neo aircraft each seating 235 people, so somethings they can afford. Apalling in the context of such very serious illness and yes totally callous.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 18th May 17, 12:59 PM
    • 8,772 Posts
    • 12,736 Thanks
    meer53
    It's business, just because they can afford it doesnt mean they should. Where would it end ? People claiming back for things they have bought and not had full use from ? Cars that they can no longer drive ?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Yes, but in this case easyJet haven't, so in this case Ryanair can afford it.

Meanwhile easyJet have just ordered 30 A321neo aircraft each seating 235 people, so somethings they can afford. Apalling in the context of such very serious illness and yes totally callous.
    Easyjet have ordered new aircraft. Yes we know. Aircraft need replacing and businesses need to grow. Yes they can afford to, but does that mean they should refund everyone that has a serious medical problem and needs to cancel? I fail to see what a long term investment has to be do with refunding customers who bought non refundable tickets and new the terms and conditions surrounding cancellation.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see nothing callous in it. Cancer, unfortunately is hardly an unusual event, and seems to be more common every year, unless we just hear more about it.

Several years ago I had to cancel due to FIL cancer. It didn't cross my mind to try to claim non refundable flights or villa back, and had I asked and was told no I certainly wouldn't be slagging them off on a public forum.

Insurance is the first port of call for non refundable elements. Cancellation/medical problems are usually the main reason we buy it.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 18th May 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Crystal Travel and Virgin Atlantic say that as my wife is not currently in hospital they won't refund, even though we provided a written confirmation from the medical practitioner that she would be unable to travel, and we should claim on the insurance - no mention even of the refund of APD- totally callous or what!
    Originally posted by mraardvark
    I have no problem at all with people asking airlines, hotels, etc. for a goodwill gesture when serious illness prevents travel. However, I really dislike it when people who are refused act as if they've been the victim of some moral injustice. Travel insurance is relatively inexpensive and will usually only amount to small percentage of the overall travel cost. If you decide not to take it out then you are either careless, cheap, or you've decided that you want to self-insure. In neither case do you have a right to portray yourself as victim when an airline (or other company) does not agree to (effectively) provide you with free travel insurance that other people pay for. That's my 2 cents anyway.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 17, 1:55 PM
    • 17,857 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    richardw
    .... does that mean they should refund everyone that has a serious medical problem and needs to cancel? ....
    They should do exactly what ryanair do

"10.4 Death or serious illness of a booked passenger
    In the event of the serious illness of a passenger making it impossible to travel (or death), the reservations of the affected passenger and of persons travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded or, as appropriate, modified by our waiving any restriction or fee on changing flights upon suitable documentary evidence produced to us in advance of the date of travel."

..and exercise a bit of humanity in serious situations.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 18th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    IAmWales

In the event of the serious illness of a passenger making it impossible to travel (or death), the reservations of the affected passenger and of persons travelling on the same booking reference may, at our discretion, be refunded or, as appropriate, modified by our waiving any restriction or fee on changing flights upon suitable documentary evidence produced to us in advance of the date of travel."

Why should they do that, and where do you draw the line?

Should we all stop buying insurance because the airlines will refund us if we're ill?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th May 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

It's obvious you think airlines are a charity, whereas I don't.

Why buy insurance at all you have to do is go to the airline? There are multiple serious situations airlines have to deal with every day of the year. Do they just refund them all?

Why stop with airlines? Why not say tour operators should do the same?

To hell with it. Sell everything cheap and just give people their money back when they have problems, even though they can reclaim the monies elsewhere aka travel insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin