Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • secretmsg
    • By secretmsg 13th May 15, 9:31 AM
    • 227Posts
    • 41Thanks
    secretmsg
    Free mobile voice, text and data plans coming to UK ( Freedompop )
    • 13th May 15, 9:31 AM
    Free mobile voice, text and data plans coming to UK ( Freedompop ) 13th May 15 at 9:31 AM
    http://bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32704051

www.freedompop.com

Another Ovivo, good for kids..

If you not happy with the service please contact 01138 870 823 and ask for refunds.
    Last edited by secretmsg; 06-10-2015 at 8:24 PM. Reason: additional
Page 11
    • chickenboy
    • By chickenboy 5th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    chickenboy
    Yes, that is where it gets slightly more complicated. The 3 Feel at Home sim can be used for 2 months abroad at a time.

The SIMs are free though, so I have 8...
    • tronator
    • By tronator 8th May 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    tronator
    You could ask the community

https://forums.freedompop.com/uk/

or better, search your problem first there.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 8th May 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    adindas
    You could ask the community

https://forums.freedompop.com/uk/

or better, search your problem first there.
    Originally posted by tronator
    I am already very well aware about FreedomPop Forum But this is not a technical question. It will need direct intervention from FreedomPop as this is about investigation of the account and only CS will have access to it.

Anyone know how to contact their CS ?

Thanks
    • d123
    • By d123 8th May 17, 5:03 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    I am already very well aware about FreedomPop Forum But this is not a technical question. It will need direct intervention from FreedomPop as this is about investigation of the account and only CS will have access to it.

Anyone know how to contact their CS ?

Thanks
    Originally posted by adindas
    1 minute after typing "freedompop email" into google I was reading this page:

How do I contact customer support?
    Published 27/05/2016 10.30 PM | Updated 31/03/2017 01.53 AM

If you can't find what you're looking for you can email us or call +44 11 3887 0823 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm GMT.

You can also visit our forums to search for exsisting posts or sign up for an account, and post your own question. We do not offer live chat at this time.
    https://uk.support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2812/~/how-do-i-contact-customer-support%3F
    ====
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 26th Aug 17, 5:44 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    sasparillo
    Wanted additional basic card but Freedom Pop are now charging me £10.98 a month!
    I have been using a Freedom Pop sim card and ordered an additional one, unticking some of the boxes because I wanted the basic card.

I received emails saying that I was getting a "trio sim card", which I just assumed was a new name for the basic card. I also now notice that I got emails saying that I had services which I unticked.

My billing now says that I will be charged £10.98 a month! I have already tried to contact Freedom Pop a few days ago well before the bank holiday and have received no answer.

Yet when I asked about getting an additional card I received an answer straightaway.

I've obviously tried to contact them again but it is now bank holiday weekend

Has anyone else had any experience of this? I should say that when I contact Freedom pop for an additional card, I was sent a link which I followed as I couldn't see anywhere on the website to order an additional card.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 28th Aug 17, 12:11 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Has anyone else had any experience of this?
    Originally posted by sasparillo
    FreedomPop send me additional SIM offers quite regularly. I've ended up with a drawer full of them.

They usually come with a free month of premium service. Punters can 'downgrade' if they only want the free 200/200/200 plan.

You may find you'll only be charged if you stay on the plan for longer than the initial one month period.

To downgrade, log in to your account, then navigate to a list of your SIMs. You should be able to click on then new SIM and 'downgrade'.
    • redux
    • By redux 28th Aug 17, 3:46 PM
    • 17,117 Posts
    • 21,683 Thanks
    redux
    I think trio is just a reference to 3 SIM sizes.

As per the above post, log in and downgrade to the basic package before the first free month is up.

Another point is that if data approaches the monthly limit, 200 MB in my case, they take an automatic top-up when 180 MB is reached, so as not to interrupt service if usage goes slightly over limit.

This automatic top-up can optionally turned off though, then if the limit is reached it would suspend data service, then resume for the next monthly billing cycle.
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 28th Aug 17, 4:46 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    sasparillo
    FreedomPop send me additional SIM offers quite regularly. I've ended up with a drawer full of them.

They usually come with a free month of premium service. Punters can 'downgrade' if they only want the free 200/200/200 plan.

You may find you'll only be charged if you stay on the plan for longer than the initial one month period.

To downgrade, log in to your account, then navigate to a list of your SIMs. You should be able to click on then new SIM and 'downgrade'.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Thanks for your answer. I have to say after a search I found a very pale gray small bottom right hand "downgrade". It was not easy to find! Still, at least with your advice I knew what to look for! Thanks
    • sasparillo
    • By sasparillo 28th Aug 17, 5:02 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    sasparillo
    I think trio is just a reference to 3 SIM sizes.

As per the above post, log in and downgrade to the basic package before the first free month is up.

Another point is that if data approaches the monthly limit, 200 MB in my case, they take an automatic top-up when 180 MB is reached, so as not to interrupt service if usage goes slightly over limit.

This automatic top-up can optionally turned off though, then if the limit is reached it would suspend data service, then resume for the next monthly billing cycle.
    Originally posted by redux
    Thanks for this. I knew about the limit. I didn't know you could turn off the automatic top-up. That's very useful as I only use the data for short spurts on my ipad when I can't find wireless. But I have been known to absent mindedly to leave it on in error ... Ouch!

Is there anything to stop people in theory getting a number of sim cards - using up their minutes and data and then popping another sim card in their phone. May mean having to give out multiple phone numbers of course! I use it just as a back up for my main phone in my ipad air and ipad mini mainly to send emails on the move when wireless is not available but was just wondering?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 28th Aug 17, 6:17 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Nothing at all. I grabbed one when it was free and another when they had another free offer. After that I didn't bother, but they have been offered free at times since.
    • binsley
    • By binsley 6th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    binsley
    FreedomPop are, basically, criminals. Took out a contract with them in June, but their "service" hardly works at the best of times, and didn't work at all with my dual-SIM phone. I cancelled it online the next day, but they have continued to bill my BarclayCard for the last four months. Disputed the debits with BarclayCard, they credited the amounts back; but then FreedomPop must have shown evidence that I HAD originally taken out a contract (but presumably, not that I had cancelled it) - and the amounts were re-charged, and they are continuing to charge me monthly for a service I have never used, since it is to all intents and purposes unusable.

Called BarclayCard again today, they have again credited all the FreedomPop debits...but when will it end? Next stop the courts, I guess.

If your life is too dull, and you fancy the excitement of dealing with fraudsters, go right ahead. Otherwise, run away, run away...
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 17,117 Posts
    • 21,683 Thanks
    redux
    FreedomPop are, basically, criminals. Took out a contract with them in June, but their "service" hardly works at the best of times, and didn't work at all with my dual-SIM phone. I cancelled it online the next day, but they have continued to bill my BarclayCard for the last four months. Disputed the debits with BarclayCard, they credited the amounts back; but then FreedomPop must have shown evidence that I HAD originally taken out a contract (but presumably, not that I had cancelled it) - and the amounts were re-charged, and they are continuing to charge me monthly for a service I have never used, since it is to all intents and purposes unusable.

Called BarclayCard again today, they have again credited all the FreedomPop debits...but when will it end? Next stop the courts, I guess.

If your life is too dull, and you fancy the excitement of dealing with fraudsters, go right ahead. Otherwise, run away, run away...
    Originally posted by binsley
    Log in to your account and downgrade to the lowest monthly package, which is free.

Old issues with dual SIM phones could be addressed by using their other application, as discussed in threads on their forum, but I think these problems improved, as I can now use either. You do need to call from the FP application, not using the phone's own dialler. Doing the latter adds loads of extra digits to the number, and fails.

I appreciate that you've lost patience and are unlikely to try this though.

In case of difficulty logging in, you could call FreedomPop and get them to change the account settings, and do refunds.
    Last edited by redux; 07-09-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Something of a rip-off to start. The cost breakdown of ordering a "Trio SIM card" is:

Basic 200 .......... £0.00
    Activation Fee .... £0.99
    Trio SIM Card .... £4.99
    Shipping ........... £1.99
    Total ............... £7.97

Of course the attraction is nil ongoing cost on the free plan but that is severely limited to 200 mins, 200 texts and 200 MB data and automatic top-ups via your payment card if your allowances run out.. Next up is the Premium 500 for £4.99 a month providing 500 mins, 500 texts and 500 MB data. On top of that is the Premium option at £3.99 a month which provides amongst other things data rollover and better than chronically bad voice quality. Of consideration must be that Freedompop uses the Three network so get a free Three PAYG sim and try the network before you buy Freedompop.

Contrast the above with for example iD Mobile which also uses the Three network and provides 500 mins, 5000 texts and 500 MB data for £3.99 a month and includes data rollover and EU roaming as standard.

A last consideration of Freedompop is that you can only make and receive calls and texts if you can connect to Three's network. Its VOIP selling point is therefore something of a misnomer. and a gimmick and not really any different to any other mobile network.
    https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/freedompop-faq/

Lastly, the Freedompop sim activates immediately but:
    Order Status
    Your order will ship in the next 7-10 days. You will receive an email notification when your order ships.
    So if you've taken a paid plan you'll be paying for up to 10 days during which time you can't use it because they haven't sent it yet.

I have the basic 200 plan on my stand-by phone that I never use. But if I ever start to use it the freedom pop sim will go in the bin.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 13-09-2017 at 8:00 PM.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 14th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Roger1
    Something of a rip-off to start. The cost breakdown of ordering a "Trio SIM card" is:

Basic 200 .......... £0.00
    Activation Fee .... £0.99
    Trio SIM Card .... £4.99
    Shipping ........... £1.99
    Total ............... £7.97
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Oo, er. They're offering me:

Trio SIM Card: ............FREE
    Premium 2.25GB Annual (1 Month Free Trial): FREE
    Activation Fee: ............£0.01
    Sub Total: ...................£0.01
    Shipping: Standard 2 to 5 days: FREE
    Due Today (VAT Included): £0.01

I guess it depends on the offer. This is for the (new?) prepaid service @ £5.49 monthly if paid annually (£65.88).
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 14th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger

I guess it depends on the offer. This is for the (new?) prepaid service @ £5.49 monthly if paid annually (£65.88).
    Originally posted by Roger1
    I signed up for that. My first month is coming to an end soon. I'll downgrade it to their free 200/200/200 offering soon.

I've taken advantage of several similar offers from them during the past few months.

I've had nearly two years of calls, text messages and data from FreedomPop and have paid less than a tenner.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 15th Sep 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    Roger1
    A question please, SnowTiger. The prepaid offer is promoted as using Three 3G/4G. The old 'free' offer was on wifi IIRC, augmented by Three for 99p/month.

Do you use yours free on wifi or free/using Three for 99p/month (or something else)? This will help me decide whether to take the prepaid offer seriously.

Thanks.
    • redux
    • By redux 15th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 17,117 Posts
    • 21,683 Thanks
    redux
    A last consideration of Freedompop is that you can only make and receive calls and texts if you can connect to Three's network. Its VOIP selling point is therefore something of a misnomer. and a gimmick and not really any different to any other mobile network.
    https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/freedompop-faq/
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    That isn't correct, and it's a bit surprising that Uswitch hasnt done a bit more research.

You can use any data connection, such as wifi, and including other SIM cards.

So someone might use it in a dual SIM phone on two networks, and also carry a 3g/4g wifi router on a third or fourth network.

Indeed it can even be used on a device without a SIM card, such as this tablet.

They also launched a SIM with roaming about a year ago here, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available at the moment. But as I already hinted you could still use the bundle on the UK one on a locally-bought SIM.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 15th Sep 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,083 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Oo, er. They're offering me:

I'm a potential new customer, so is there anywhere I can get this offer? On this page http://uk.freedompop.com/uk/device_phones?experience=uk.default they don't state in the spec that you need a 3G phone under 'Device Compatibility'. Is this correct?
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 15-09-2017 at 3:07 PM.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 15th Sep 17, 4:35 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    A question please, SnowTiger. The prepaid offer is promoted as using Three 3G/4G. The old 'free' offer was on wifi IIRC, augmented by Three for 99p/month.

Do you use yours free on wifi or free/using Three for 99p/month (or something else)? This will help me decide whether to take the prepaid offer seriously.
    On the 200/200/200 tariff I don't pay anything. Calls go via data (Wifi or mobile data). It's basically a VOIP service. On their premium tariffs, call are placed through the mobile network in the usual way.

I use it mainly for data, which works great for me and is reliable.

I wouldn't use FreedomPop as my main network, though.

Text messages appear not to be working at the moment.

I don't think data is capped, so once you've used your free allocation of 200MBytes you'll be charged. I swap out the SIM when I hit 150MBytes.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 15th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    I don't think data is capped, so once you've used your free allocation of 200MBytes you'll be charged. I swap out the SIM when I hit 150MBytes.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Not if you've turned off the option on your account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin