Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moonpenny
    • By moonpenny 6th May 15, 5:32 PM
    • 1,786Posts
    • 1,549Thanks
    moonpenny
    Postal weighing scales
    • 6th May 15, 5:32 PM
    Postal weighing scales 6th May 15 at 5:32 PM
    Can anyone recommend an accurate reasonably cheap postal weighing scale?

The biggest boxes I need to weigh are 12 inch square and approx 30 inch high, weighing between 3 and 4 kilogram.

I need to use it for much smaller and lighter items too.

I have been balancing the boxes on top of kitchen scales (no mean feat!) up to now but it's not ideal.
Page 1
  • worbikeman
    • 6th May 15, 5:39 PM
    • 6th May 15, 5:39 PM
    Yes and while we are on the subject I need an accurate to 1g scale that doesnt auto-off in the middle of me using it so I have to keep booting it up every time I turn round to weigh my shipping.
    Which is often.
    I can afford batteries
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 6th May 15, 6:49 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Kernow666
    • 6th May 15, 6:49 PM
    • 6th May 15, 6:49 PM
    plenty of them on ebay for under a fiver delivered , i have had one for last couple years , goes upto 15kg with a digital display cost me £4.99 delivered
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 7th May 15, 10:58 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    WLM21
    • 7th May 15, 10:58 PM
    • 7th May 15, 10:58 PM
    Can anyone recommend an accurate reasonably cheap postal weighing scale?

The biggest boxes I need to weigh are 12 inch square and approx 30 inch high, weighing between 3 and 4 kilogram.

I need to use it for much smaller and lighter items too.

I have been balancing the boxes on top of kitchen scales (no mean feat!) up to now but it's not ideal.
    Originally posted by moonpenny
    I bought these a couple of weeks ago, £2.79 delivered. Digital too, which i prefer over the spring balance type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-01Gx40KG-DIGITAL-HANGING-FISHING-SCALES-LUGGAGE-BALANCE-WEIGHING-SUITCASE-/351132902781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51c126 e57d

I have been balancing the boxes on top of kitchen scales
    Originally posted by moonpenny
    Just put the corner of the parcel on the scales, then before it falls over (assuming you have balanced it OK) you can read the scale
    • kalsha
    • By kalsha 8th May 15, 7:46 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    kalsha
    • 8th May 15, 7:46 AM
    • 8th May 15, 7:46 AM
    [QUOTE=WLM21;68350049]I bought these a couple of weeks ago, £2.79 delivered. Digital too, which i prefer over the spring balance type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-01Gx40KG-DIGITAL-HANGING-FISHING-SCALES-LUGGAGE-BALANCE-WEIGHING-SUITCASE-/351132902781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51c126 e57d

Just curious- they call these luggage scales, but how would you hook a whole suitcase on that small hook?? I bought luggage scale from Lidl (think it was about £6) and there is a strap to hook up suitcases.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 15, 7:50 AM
    • 59,581 Posts
    • 42,282 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th May 15, 7:50 AM
    • 8th May 15, 7:50 AM
    I gave up with the cheap digital ones about 2 years ago , I found some of them were not quite accurate enough for some of my items that were really borderline on the 100g.

I bought a set of proper scales from Costco that plug into the mains so no battery issues. Still small enough to sit on my desk but better really for the volume of sales I have. I can't post a photo as I'm on holiday, in a taverna on a Greek Isle just finishing my breakfast - paid for by a good 2015 on eBay so far. However, someone else has the same set as they have posted a photo previously on a very similar thread..so if you can find that thread you'll see a pic. They were about £19 with VAT.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • martindow
    • By martindow 8th May 15, 8:27 AM
    • 7,298 Posts
    • 4,079 Thanks
    martindow
    • 8th May 15, 8:27 AM
    • 8th May 15, 8:27 AM
    Blimey Soolin - enjoy your holiday! No one will begrudge you a few days off posting.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 8th May 15, 10:51 AM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 8th May 15, 10:51 AM
    • 8th May 15, 10:51 AM
    We've used these for 8 years, very good scales, worth the money:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultraship-55-Digital-25kg-55lb-Parcel-Letter-Postal-Weighing-Scales-new-Quality-/251247660078
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th May 15, 11:54 AM
    • 59,581 Posts
    • 42,282 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th May 15, 11:54 AM
    • 8th May 15, 11:54 AM
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    They are the ones I have as well.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 8th May 15, 12:18 PM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    They are the ones I have as well.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Same as the Costco ones, good scales.

Some Costcos have bigger platform scales too, not that expensive either.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 13th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 56,060 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    I wanted to kill 2 birds in 1, and get some bathroom scales that are more accurate.
    I currently use some Tanita scales to weigh parcels but they only weigh in 100g increments, and I keep having to try putting them on my kitchen scales to see if they are just over 2Kg.

I've tried both these, and they don't register anything under 2Kg!

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1679595
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8334259

Does anyone know of any bathroom scales in 50g increments that measures 50g and above?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 13th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 3,826 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head

Also use these. The lift up lid is good for holding irregular items. If you have problems seeing the display when a box is on them, you can get them with the display that is separate to the actual scales.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Mar 17, 3:56 PM
    • 11,421 Posts
    • 7,692 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Old thread which has been dug from the deep for some bizarre reason.
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 14th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 6,790 Posts
    • 56,060 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Old thread which has been dug from the deep for some bizarre reason.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Why bizarre? saves starting a new thread with the same question.

Think I will have to go with postal scales.. shame.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 14th Mar 17, 12:32 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 3,826 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Why bizarre? saves starting a new thread with the same question.

Think I will have to go with postal scales.. shame.
    Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Your only option would be to get industrial or vet scales which would have the capacity for a person but have the accuracy to be able to measure from a small amount onwards and in small increments. To be honest though for the price of scales, you'd be better off having two lots.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

4,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @garethh1992: @MartinSLewis My GF is a leaver and I?m a proud remoaner. You?ve got to respect everyone?s right to disagree with you. I t?

• Today's twitter poll: If someone admits to you their Brexit view is different to yours (eg you're a remainer, they? https://t.co/c4WZQpfrg3

• Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• Follow Martin