Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rhodria89
    • By rhodria89 28th Apr 15, 11:23 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rhodria89
    Co-Operative Funeralcare Telephone Interview - Anyone done this?
    • 28th Apr 15, 11:23 AM
    Co-Operative Funeralcare Telephone Interview - Anyone done this? 28th Apr 15 at 11:23 AM
    Hi all,

I have a telephone interview tomorrow with the Co-op for a part-time funeral arranger. The e-mail said it was strengths-based and that they'd be presenting me with a series of scenarios to answer. Has anyone done this before who can give me a bit of a heads up on what the interview is like? They said I don't need to prepare anything, but that goes against everything I know about interviews! I'm also not great on the phone, I get nervous and sometimes stumble over words so this is all contributing to making me very anxious.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 28th Apr 15, 12:27 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 28th Apr 15, 12:27 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 12:27 PM
    Hi all,

I have a telephone interview tomorrow with the Co-op for a part-time funeral arranger. The e-mail said it was strengths-based and that they'd be presenting me with a series of scenarios to answer. Has anyone done this before who can give me a bit of a heads up on what the interview is like? They said I don't need to prepare anything, but that goes against everything I know about interviews! I'm also not great on the phone, I get nervous and sometimes stumble over words so this is all contributing to making me very anxious.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by rhodria89
    Is that not going to be a significant disadvantage for this type of job? I would have thought the ability to respond calmly to clients who generally will be upset was vital.

All I can suggest is practicing for a while on the phone with a friend who has had some experience of having to arrange a funeral.
    • rhodria89
    • By rhodria89 28th Apr 15, 1:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rhodria89
    • 28th Apr 15, 1:30 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 1:30 PM
    Is that not going to be a significant disadvantage for this type of job? I would have thought the ability to respond calmly to clients who generally will be upset was vital.

All I can suggest is practicing for a while on the phone with a friend who has had some experience of having to arrange a funeral.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    I'm fine in situations where I know what I'm doing and what I need to say. Work telephone calls are generally fine, it's when I'm not sure what to expect that it all goes a bit pear-shaped.

Thanks, I'll give that a go!
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 28th Apr 15, 1:40 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 28th Apr 15, 1:40 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 1:40 PM
    review the job advert, person specification and anything else that identifies what skills and qualities are required.

Get a real life example of when you have demonstrated each of the skills/competencies. Identify what YOU did, what the outcome was and what you would do differently.

I would suggest that their questions o the phone will cover these areas (as they took trouble to put then in the advert etc.

Practise the competency answers, use key words to prompt you on the phone interview.

Have some water near the phone.

Prepare the area for the phone interview:- no distractions, no noise, key words on table next to you, water, job advert, research into the company and the questions you want t ask tem, pen and paper , you get the idea !
    Take deep breaths and god luck
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 28th Apr 15, 4:52 PM
    • 18,833 Posts
    • 19,145 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 28th Apr 15, 4:52 PM
    • 28th Apr 15, 4:52 PM
    Speak (extra) slowly, clearly and reassuringly. You need to present yourself as someone very dignified and in control. Don't be afraid to say 'I would like a minute to consider that question' rather than bumbling through.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • 82wells
    • By 82wells 13th Nov 15, 1:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    82wells
    • 13th Nov 15, 1:14 PM
    Hi
    • 13th Nov 15, 1:14 PM
    Hi,

I have this same interview.

How did it go and what type of questions did they ask?

I would be super grateful if you would take a minute to reply.

Thanks,
    Lindsey
    • Kingbrit
    • By Kingbrit 11th Feb 16, 3:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kingbrit
    • 11th Feb 16, 3:05 PM
    • 11th Feb 16, 3:05 PM
    Hi guys.
    I have this interview tomorrow!
    How did it go? Any help anyone can offer?
    I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Ben.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Feb 16, 12:37 AM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Feb 16, 12:37 AM
    • 12th Feb 16, 12:37 AM
    I found the assessment very draining and errie although it produced the most helpful feedback, (at one point I even wondered whether to carry on) the questions were another league and not sure you should practise responses, very quickly ruled out it wasn't one for me nor was it what I had envisaged, there was no telephone interview (so odd) although if it's anything like the online assessment, it could be why you receive little to no definitive answers on the subject

I dread to think of them asking the assessment questions down the phone.

And seriously can't shake of the feeling this is why this thread never receives much in way of an update. I applied to Funeral Arranger only later last year under the impression it was telephone based when in actual fact their high street presence and assessment suggested Funeral Arranger was anything else but in the area of vacancy so if I had the opportunity to ask them questions I'd be doing everything to get clarity. I could understand a telephone interview more I guess for their 'central contact centre' but yeah hmmm
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • DSilver
    • By DSilver 12th Feb 16, 11:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    DSilver
    • 12th Feb 16, 11:13 AM
    Answer to Telephone Interview
    • 12th Feb 16, 11:13 AM
    Iíve had the telephone interview.

She started by telling me/reminding me what to expect in the role and explaining that she would ask me questions and type up my answers. She said she could not explain the questions, only repeat them, that I must interpret the questions and answer them however I deem best. She said I was to provide specific examples and be as detailed as possible rather than indicating what I would do in a hypothetical situation.

Some questions she asked:

Why do I want to work in the funeral services industry and why for them in particular?
    What about the role of funeral arranger appeals to me?
    What would I do if a client were upset?
    What would I do if an individual could not understand me?
    How do I avoid mistakes at work?
    How do I ensure accuracy at work?

It all took about 20 minutes. She said if successful, I would receive a call to arrange an in-person interview with the hiring manager. If unsuccessful, I would receive an email with feedback.

I hope this is helpful for anyone looking to know what to expect. I tried to find this kind of information online before my own interview but couldnít find anything; thatís why Iím writing this up. Also, hereís a tip: remember to take your time and think about specific examples from your life experience to back up what youíre saying. A few times I slipped into hypothetical examples rather than drawing from experience but the interviewer isnít going to stop you from doing that or engage you while youíre talking. She just listens and types what you say and when you pause as if finished, she says, ďIs there anything else?Ē In other words, it isnít a conversational situation, you monologue with no reaction on the other end of the line so make what you say count.

And good luck :-)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 25th Jun 16, 8:59 AM
    • 60,993 Posts
    • 356,264 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    They should ask "Two squabbling sisters who look like they are part of the Olympic Wrestling Team are fighting over the departed's ashes in reception. How do you help them resolve their issues?"

a. Call the police
    b. Scream abuse at them and wade in to try to grab the ashes back for yourself
    c. Run round the outside kicking whichever 4rses you can see/reach
    d. Sit down and stare out the window "nothing to do with me".
    • hrh75
    • By hrh75 24th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hrh75
    Hi Dsilver,

Thank you for your post it has been very helpful!

I had this interview today - I was wondering if you would be able to tell me how long it took to hear back from them about a further interview? Or indeed hearing back from them if you are unsuccessful?

thanks!
    • Filobeto
    • By Filobeto 16th Nov 16, 5:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Filobeto
    I've passed the telephone interview, and now have the face to face.
    Has anyone any experience of this?
    Thanks.
    • Suzzzz
    • By Suzzzz 16th Nov 16, 5:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Suzzzz
    Funeral Operative Telephone Interview
    Hi can I ask what questions they asked you on the telephone interview ?
    • ashenberry
    • By ashenberry 1st Dec 17, 6:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ashenberry
    long shot but did anyone get the job? i have this interview and would really like to get a face to face interview
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin