Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aimez
    • By Aimez 26th Apr 15, 3:14 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aimez
    Charges for leasehold garage under Coachhouse
    • 26th Apr 15, 3:14 PM
    Charges for leasehold garage under Coachhouse 26th Apr 15 at 3:14 PM
    Hello all,

Hope this is the correct place to post this! I am in the final stages of buying a Coach house. To be clear this is like an end terrace with two garages underneath a flat basically, one is mine the other is the neighbours. I am the freeholder, I have pages of covenants and as a first time buyer is all just scary to me.
    So I am allowed to charge them a leasehold fee correct? No idea where to start and I believe they are entitled to contribute to the buildings (assume not contents??) insurance.
    I have done a bit of research as currently have the nightmare of trying to get buildings and contents insurance; comparisons websites no good for this and a lot of places just refuse to cover it (I have another thread about this elsewhere!). I will end up getting buildings and contents together as hardly anyone even quotes me so far. Any help much appreciated!
Page 1
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 26th Apr 15, 3:38 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 26th Apr 15, 3:38 PM
    • 26th Apr 15, 3:38 PM
    If you don't fully understand what being a freeholder entails, pause proceedings and make an appointment with your solicitor to walk through it in detail before going any further. Being a freeholder is a responsibility to be taken seriously, both for your leaseholders' sake and for your own please make sure you understand it before you buy!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 26th Apr 15, 4:51 PM
    • 39,672 Posts
    • 45,190 Thanks
    G_M
    • 26th Apr 15, 4:51 PM
    • 26th Apr 15, 4:51 PM
    The other garage 'owner' will have a lease. This is an agreement between them (via all the previous owners of the lease since it was created) and you (via all the previous freeholders since the lease was created).

It will specify the rights and responsibilities of both you, the freeholder, and them, the leaseholders, including possibly:

* who insures, and who pays for insurance
    * any annual ground rent due and how much
    * who arranges repairs, and who pays
    etc

Read the lease. If you don't understand it, pay a solicitor to explain it.
    • polki
    • By polki 26th Apr 15, 5:01 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    polki
    • 26th Apr 15, 5:01 PM
    • 26th Apr 15, 5:01 PM
    I know someone who insures their coach house with a firm called Paymentshield if that helps. I'm sorry but I can't help you with the freehold element.
    • Aimez
    • By Aimez 1st May 15, 2:34 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aimez
    • 1st May 15, 2:34 PM
    • 1st May 15, 2:34 PM
    Be gentle please I am a first time buyer! It does not state actual figures just what I am responsible for and what they are responsible for and that they are entitled to pay towards the building insurance but no figures and it from 2012 when it was built. I am already being charged more by the solicitor because I am using some gift money as part of my deposit. I am going to get charged more for this then can see it coming, great. I will ask them for more info. Cheers guys
    • Aimez
    • By Aimez 22nd May 15, 11:01 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aimez
    • 22nd May 15, 11:01 AM
    • 22nd May 15, 11:01 AM
    Okay just for anyone who may search on here about coach house, and I did as have a few other I noticed. The reason there were no figures in the covenant is that this 2012 build is part of an estate that is not finished yet and there is no management company yet that will deal with this and the fees each homeowner has for maintenance of the estate. So the previous owner been paying buildings insurance all that time for the lease holder of the other garage.
    • SPELLFIRE
    • By SPELLFIRE 18th Jul 16, 3:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SPELLFIRE
    • 18th Jul 16, 3:44 PM
    Garages under coach houses
    • 18th Jul 16, 3:44 PM
    I have a town house in Swindon, with two garages under a coach house, I didn't understand when I first bought the house and thought I was being tricked into buying leasehold garages owned by someone else. After a long discussion with my solicitors they advised and showed me on the deeds the garages do belong to the house/owner. Because the coach house is a freehold property, this means you can't have another Freehold on the same plot, so these garages have to be called Leasehold. A management company looks after the grounds and you pay a ground rent, that is all - mine is £175 annually. Why they call them Leasehold garages I really don't no, but the councils/government should call it something else not to confuse people as we are not actually leasing them. Another point on the Deeds is that the House Plot Number is also shown on the garages, you can't sell or buy them separately as they are part of the house value. I hope this helps when buying and selling these properties, as you are getting good value for money.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 18th Jul 16, 8:22 PM
    • 7,839 Posts
    • 7,097 Thanks
    phill99
    • 18th Jul 16, 8:22 PM
    • 18th Jul 16, 8:22 PM
    I have a town house in Swindon, with two garages under a coach house, I didn't understand when I first bought the house and thought I was being tricked into buying leasehold garages owned by someone else. After a long discussion with my solicitors they advised and showed me on the deeds the garages do belong to the house/owner. Because the coach house is a freehold property, this means you can't have another Freehold on the same plot, so these garages have to be called Leasehold. A management company looks after the grounds and you pay a ground rent, that is all - mine is £175 annually. Why they call them Leasehold garages I really don't no, but the councils/government should call it something else not to confuse people as we are not actually leasing them. Another point on the Deeds is that the House Plot Number is also shown on the garages, you can't sell or buy them separately as they are part of the house value. I hope this helps when buying and selling these properties, as you are getting good value for money.
    Originally posted by DerekrH

And your point is.....?

Do you have a reason to comment on a post that is a year old?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • SPELLFIRE
    • By SPELLFIRE 19th Jul 16, 2:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SPELLFIRE
    • 19th Jul 16, 2:35 PM
    • 19th Jul 16, 2:35 PM
    Yes I do have a point, read the forum and other forums. People are still not sure when buying a house with garages under coach houses. If people read negative answers like most forum threads then they are put off, or pulling out of the sale for not understanding the legals behind these sort of properties. Because this forum is a year old people are still searching like I did because the information is useful. People don't stop reading because something is a year old. Do you stop reading books because they are over a year old!!!
    • Denisec
    • By Denisec 16th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Denisec
    Hi, my daughter is about to buy a new coach house (freehold) with 2 garages (leasehold) underneath but none of them are hers, she has been told that she has to insure the whole building to cover the garages, this does seem a bit unfair, just wondering if you have any advise on this & have you had any issues.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 5,521 Posts
    • 6,924 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    I would be more concerned with what firewall is in the garage ceiling under your floor.
    I would expect at very least a 1hr rated correctly installed barrier and fire detection system in the garages to alert occupants in the coach house.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • noh
    • By noh 16th Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    noh
    Hi, my daughter is about to buy a new coach house (freehold) with 2 garages (leasehold) underneath but none of them are hers, she has been told that she has to insure the whole building to cover the garages, this does seem a bit unfair, just wondering if you have any advise on this & have you had any issues.
    Originally posted by Denisec
    If she is the freeholder then she needs to insure the whole building.
    Usually the leaseholders of the garages are required to pay a fair proportion of the insurance premium to the freeholder. Your daughters solicitor should explain the relevant terms in the lease granted to the garage leaseholders.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 41,765 Thanks
    Pollycat
    another 2 identical threads:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619122

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619131

Denisec
    For your information:

• What's spam?
      Forum users mustn't post comments more than once on the forum (the only exception is members of the MSE Team; when needed). It's called spamming and most internet forums forbid it. Where spam is reported to the Forum Team, the posts are deleted and the user's posting privileges may be removed. Please don't quote any post you believe is spam, as this causes the team more work.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 17th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    caprikid1
    "I know someone who insures their coach house with a firm called Paymentshield "

Just to be clear these guys are one of the UK's largest insurer's and will insure almost anything under their various brands. Primarily a brand through brokers only they are one of the leading quality UK insurers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,643Posts Today

9,602Users online

Martin's Twitter