Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 25th Apr 15, 9:38 AM
    • 6,813Posts
    • 8,721Thanks
    lilmissmup
    Lilmissmups SAHM adventure!
    • 25th Apr 15, 9:38 AM
    Lilmissmups SAHM adventure! 25th Apr 15 at 9:38 AM
    I am a long term MSE member and been at varying level of debts over the years (including debt free at one point) and it is time for me to get back on the MSE bandwagon fully as yesterday was my last payday and although I am still technically on maternity leave until August I am going to be a SAHM for next 2/3 years.

I desperately need to find ways of coping/earning a little money each month to cover treats and baby groups etc!

So here I am back with a new diary and a bit of debt.

I am due to be getting some inheritance from my nans estate who passed away in December but probate hasn't been granted yet and their is her house still to sell so not sure when I will be getting that.

It will help make things easier but it does need to last me a couple of years and I am not sure how much I am getting either so I need to be very careful with it.

I owe £3162 on a 0% Barclaycard which is 0% until March 16.

I also owe our mortgage about £5800 as we borrowed this on top of what our house was worth to pay off a loan I had for my car I purchased in November 2012. Obv I don't have to pay this back urgently but I want to as we want to move house too.

I have £1900 in a 5% TSB account and as of now the only money I have coming in is Maddie's child benefit each month.

So I am hoping to make an additional £100/£200 each month through ebay/facebook selling groups/surveys/mystery shops and anything else I can think of!

So I hope you can join me and Maddie in our new adventure of becoming a SAHM after 13 years of constant full time work.

I am pretty petrified at the thought of both being skint and not working for a few years!
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
Page 5
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 15th Feb 16, 9:46 PM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 8,721 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    Thanks.

Got to make it last though!
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 16th Feb 16, 7:42 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    Kitten868
    You've got a lot of juggling to do!! You just going to move it all round on the 1st of each month? Yay for the inheritance! Is there no chance of putting the £20k off the mortgage to reduce your interest? X
    Loan 1 £7100/£8000
    Loan 2 £5100/£5800
    Total £12200/£13800 12% PAID
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 18th Feb 16, 4:01 PM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 8,721 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    It's a possibility but our rate is only 2% so will see what I can do first.

Toying with the idea of sending Maddie to nursery again, it keeps batting around in my head but the older she gets I am struggling to keep us both entertained 7 days a week.

Plus i think it is starting to affect my mental health. Simon doesn't ever take her out at weekends so I get no space to myself apart from the evenings.

Just sat and cried earlier, full on couldn't breathe tears.

I would only send her for a couple of mornings or afternoons a week but think it would benefit us both as she would get to play with other kids/doing arts crafts etc.

My relationship is still non existant. No idea whether we will still be together this time in 6 months.

Happy Post!
    • kittycashcake
    • By kittycashcake 18th Feb 16, 10:49 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    kittycashcake
    Your mental health is super important, you wouldn't ignore a broken bone or an open wound, please do what's good for your mental wellbeing too. Super. Dooper. Important.

Plus kids love nursery!!!
    Emergency Fund @ £300 Non CCJ Debts x 7 @ £2782/ £4055 PAID! CCJs x4 Unpaid Total @£5103 Christmas 2016 Fund @£116 Holiday Fund £300/ £550 Wedding Fund Goal: £2500 /// Total Remaining: £9409 / £12,900 (£3498- 27.11%Paid)
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 19th Feb 16, 8:28 AM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 9,471 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    First time poster in here, do not be too hard on yourself. I have twins and early days I found keeping them entertained all day every day hard going, I still do sometimes and they are 5.. but just take each day as it comes. I found getting out for a walk, come rain or shine got me a bit fitter, got us all some fresh air and broke up days at home.

Are you eligible for funding for 2 yrs olds locally for nurseries? It would give you a break for a morning or two and be good for her.

Can you talk to hubby to give you some time to yourself at the weekend? See if there is a Dads group he could go to or a soft play?
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53
    CC1 - GONE! ~~~ CC2 - GONE! ~~~ CC3 - £1263.18 ~~~ CC4 - £1050.00
    MFW (01/15) £118,031.21 £95,950.76
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 21st Feb 16, 12:06 PM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 8,721 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    No we don't qualify for anything as Simon earns too much.

We could afford to pay for it, I am just not sure I can "give" her up yet....

Every other weekend we have step kids too so thats added pressure and his argument is he is trying to do stuff around the house so needs me out with her....

I definately think she will be at nursery before she is 2 though,
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 21st Feb 16, 12:11 PM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 8,721 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    I desperately need new jeans, after 30 mins trying to check out on topshops website I have given up...... I only have 1 pair atm..... which need regular washing.....like daily washing. Hate being short.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 10th Mar 16, 8:12 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Have you tried eBay?

If there's a shop that you know fits you well you quite often find jeans nearly new on there. I've had a couple of pairs of jeans from eBay for about a quarter of the shop prices.
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 7th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 8,721 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    I am back...... that 5 figure number is a lot smaller now...... still in 4 figures but not by much!

And it's a bit embarassing that I have spent nearly £30k in less than two years.....

Main contenders of where the money went are

£4k holiday to spain this year
    3 centre parcs holidays (one booked and paid for but going in May 2018)
    2 mountain bikes
    A new freezer
    Nursery fees for 16 months (and still 10 more months to go before school!)
    New Mattress
    Odd bits of furniture (mainly 2nd hand!)
    Car Maintence

And then day to day living, activities for Maddie, clothing etc! And small contribution to household bills etc

But still amazing how quickly it can go.....

So I am back, still running my Usborne business but need to seriously get on track of that and also going to start doing the DFW challenges before we actually get into debt..........
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 7th Oct 17, 10:35 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Welcome back! I've missed your diary.

I can't believe you've mentioned the school word... how quickly has that come round?!

Money is too easy to spend so I can quite believe it. I hope you had a lovely holiday to Spain. Looking forward to your diary updates!
    • lilmissmup
    • By lilmissmup 15th Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 8,721 Thanks
    lilmissmup
    I know......I don't want her to go to school

So getting back into Matched Betting and made £95 in the last week so not bad! I am using a website where you pay £15 a month for all the tools etc to make it easy so actually £80 but I am useless at maths and this makes it easy (though I have made a couple of mistakes!).

I am looking for a part time job but not very actively, hoping to hear whether or not I have a interview for a evening role at Centre Parcs, 3 evenings a week which would be perfect around my Usborne commitments etc but shall have to wait and see!

Also going to start doing swagbucks etc again.

Aim for each month with the Matched betting is £331 which covers nursery fees at least! Hopefully more though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin