Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MasterPoo
    • By MasterPoo 20th Apr 15, 9:03 PM
    • 783Posts
    • 430Thanks
    MasterPoo
    0 WOW
    Holiday Withdrawal Symptoms......Tell me where you're going?
    • 20th Apr 15, 9:03 PM
    0 WOW
    Holiday Withdrawal Symptoms......Tell me where you're going? 20th Apr 15 at 9:03 PM
    My next big holiday is in December according to countdown app, I have 242 days-23 hours- 2min to go

The only exciting thing I have coming up is a bank holiday weekend trip to Cornwall to learn how to surf! That's 130 days-15 hours - 2 min away!

2016 looks promising though as I have spaced them out nicely throughout the year.
    1. Cruise March - 339 Days-0 Hours-0Min
    2. USA 35 day Trip August - 465 Days - 3 Hours - 0 Min

Everyone else seems to be forever on holiday!?!?!

Where are you off to next, have you DIY (which is the fun part)?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 28-04-2015 at 5:42 PM.
Page 46
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 5th Sep 16, 1:14 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Ballard
    Despite not having completed the planning for my India trip in November I've booked a fortnight off in February and purchased a guidebook for Cuba. Sadly I'm only temping at the moment so can't commit to more than a fortnight off work. My current contract ends in January but it'll probably be extended until the summer.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 5th Sep 16, 2:05 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Blue264
    We're going to the UK for two weeks at the end of September I've worked it out that if we buy 20 packs of ibuprofen and / or paracetemol to bring back with us, the price difference between the UK and Switzerland will more than covers the cost of our flights! Seeing as we'll also be stocking up on clothes, hiking boots, etc, this little trip will save us an absolute fortune.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 6th Sep 16, 12:04 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    In Sydney right now....
    travelover
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 6th Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    sandsy
    Next trip in October is to New York for 5 nights (first time!) then a week in Turks and Caicos.

Still need to research best way to visit the attractions in NY - have only booked Statue of Liberty and a Broadway musical, School of Rock, so far. Hoping to also visit Central Park, Top of the Rock, Grand Central Station, American Museum of Natural History, 9/11 memorial, go shopping on 5th Avenue, maybe the Intrepid museum..... And whatever else will help us get a feel for the place?
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 16th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Ballard
    My India trip is coming along nicely but it does often take ages for Indians to reply to emails so I've still one hotel to book.

So far I've booked:

Astoria Hotel, Kolkata (one night)
    Flight Kolkata - Bagdogra
    Bellevue Hotel, Darjeeling (3 nights)
    One day trek booked: http://www.adventuresunlimited.in/package/one-day-trek-tumling/
    Elgin Silver Oaks, Kalimpong (2 nights)
    Gantok (hotel unbooked) (3 nights)
    Helicopter back to Bagdogra (emailed and awaiting information) Can book a jeep if required but like the idea of the helicopter.
    Flight Bagdogra - Kolkata booked.
    Three nights in Kolkata to be booked upon arrival.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 16th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    In Norway right now. Need a second mortgage for my drinks bills lol
    travelover
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    The contract I was working on is finishing earlier than planned so I suddenly found myself with time for an unexpected week in Lanzarote at the end of the month for some much needed sunshine.

Just a shame that the exchange rate is so lousy at the moment.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Oct 16, 3:26 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Just a shame that the exchange rate is so lousy at the moment.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Malta for us a week on Saturday, for 4 weeks B&B at the Santana Hotel in Bugibba. Paid up front in March. So avoided the temporary dip with £sterling.

Came back from Nicaragua at the end of May with a cash budget underspend of US$900, and have €uro 150 left over from our Malta trip in February.

Thailand and Vietnam plans for February are almost complete, so I must update the thread I started soon. Interesting times to come over the next few months in Thailand with the passing of the King.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Yup. I'm usually in Thailand at this time if year but I'm rather pleased that I'm not there now given current events. Hopefully things will have returned to normal (if anything in Thailand is ever "normal") by next year as they won't want to lose out on the tourist market.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 16th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 11,350 Thanks
    worried jim
    Less than two weeks till a villa in El Gouna Egypt. Counting down the days and looking forward to feeling the hot Sun on my face once again.

Hope no naughty terrorists spoil this years trip and the airport staff have finally got over playing candy crush.
    • Everynamestaken
    • By Everynamestaken 16th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Everynamestaken
    Love this thread. Haven't been anywhere since May. Only day I've had is a dentist appointment, so I'm ready for it.

6 weeks to go until I fly to San Francisco. I will then be going onto LA and then Las Vegas. I will then fly to New York and come home and it'll soon be Christmas.

Never been before so quite looking forward to it, and will be interesting to see what the weather will be like in the various destinations.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 16th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 10,262 Posts
    • 23,106 Thanks
    Tarry
    Ballybofey next year.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 17th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    Benidorm Friday for 5 days ..My wife works in a school so going during half term but i booked the flights last December so reasonably cheap
    Have a nice day
    • dogcat
    • By dogcat 17th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 21,112 Posts
    • 22,278 Thanks
    dogcat
    I've been in Abu Dhabi for a week.....and I have another week here....hopefully, Morocco in January.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 12th Nov 16, 12:00 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Ballard
    Only a week until I fly to India. I'm probably rather fortunate that I wasn't there when they discontinued the R500 & R1,000 notes as it'd have been bedlam.

I'm also not entirely convinced of the usefulness of the R2,000 note. It was always difficult enough to get change of a R500 note.

India isn't the place to rely on ATMs or credit cards but that's been exacerbated recently as a tiny daily withdrawal limit was temporarily introduced.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 12th Nov 16, 12:47 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Off to Tenerife on Tuesday for two weeks R&R, and then a Caribbean cruise at the end of January.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 12th Nov 16, 2:11 PM
    • 17,870 Posts
    • 45,201 Thanks
    duchy
    We did a night in Liverpool, we've got a night in Cardiff followed by 4 nights in southwest Wales, five days in Devon, Dawlish. We've got 3 nights in New Forest, and 2? nights in Canterbury. And we'll be away for four nights Oct half term nothing booked yet, will be a Sun holiday booked in July.
    Will also go and see relatives in great yarmouth no idea how long probably a couple of nights.

We've also done three nights in Copenhagen.
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    I've just booked two nights in Cardiff (concert at the Motorpoint then Dr Who experience the next day) and two nights in Liverpool for January.

Dawlish is planned for just a night or two just before Christmas but not booked it yet as it'll depend on the weather.

In the spring we have a Bahamas cruise on hold so that'll probably be a night in Dublin beforehand to get an ex Euro fare , couple of days at Cocoa Beach to do KSC and a week in Orlando after the Bahamas. Still working on the fine details on that but with airfares as low as £360 I need to get a move on.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Nov 16, 2:19 PM
    • 17,135 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    £360! That's great, you certainly know how to find them.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 12th Nov 16, 2:59 PM
    • 4,514 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    We just had a few days in London, which we love, then off to Puerto Vallarta for 3 weeks over Christmas /New Year. Never been to the west coast of Mexico before.
    travelover
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 25th Nov 16, 10:30 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Ballard
    India trip this far:

One night in Kolkata. We did a fair amount of sightseeing. We have three nights there at the end, having thought that there was more to do but now we're thinking of a trip to the Sunderbans Tiger Reserve instead. Almost guaranteed not to see tigers but it looks a good place anyway.

Darjeeling is a lovely place with a fair amount to do. We were up at 03:30 to go to Tiger Hill to watch the sun rise over the Himalayas one day. Another day saw up rise at 05:45 to go for a trek. I now ache because of said trek.

We are now in Kalimpong. This isn't the most wonderful place in India but we stopped here for the plentiful walk options but I overdid it so am resting.

Getting cash is a pain. Foreign exchange is impossible as they're serving Indians before foreigners and the queues can be enormous. Banks run out of cash. The only option is an ATM which generally have 30-40 minute queues (although late at night the queues die down). The limit is R2,000 (£23) per day and that's one note. Fortunately I have a credit card so when possible I've been using that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,261Posts Today

6,045Users online

Martin's Twitter