Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 7th Aug 07, 9:13 PM
    • 7,425 Posts
    • 10,796 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:13 PM
    • 7th Aug 07, 9:13 PM
    Whilst I agree with Martin's comment re using Tesco vouchers, there are things you need to remember:

1. The room rate on the internet is not necessarily the rate that will be charged if using Tesco vouchers....usually its higher.

2. Hotels seem to have only a certain number of rooms that are available using Tesco vouchers ...so if you need a specific hotel book early.

3. Read the instructions about booking ....hotel chains have different booking arrangements
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
    • fatboyonadiet
    • By fatboyonadiet 8th Aug 07, 8:53 AM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    fatboyonadiet
    • 8th Aug 07, 8:53 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 8:53 AM
    Why isn't Priceline mentioned it more detail, especially the 'Name Your Own Price' function, I've saved a fortune using this in the past, it is a risk and a bit difficult to understand the first time but there's some great explanatory posts in the holiday board.
    2p off is still 2p off!
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th Aug 07, 9:41 AM
    • 8,109 Posts
    • 42,243 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 8th Aug 07, 9:41 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 9:41 AM
    Priceline is in there - I think you may've missed it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 8th Aug 07, 11:15 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    • 8th Aug 07, 11:15 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 11:15 AM
    I've long since been a connisseur of cheap hotel rooms using sites like laterooms.com to find great deals.

However I now own my own holiday let in Devon (riverview-apartment.com) and can see the owners side of the transaction where the company I advertise with take between 22-28% of the booking as their commission.

SO, my savvy tip is use the websites to find a hotel offering a great deal, then contact them direct and see if they'll match or better it!

For example I offer a discount to people booking direct and when I booked a place in Bude last Easter I phoned and booked direct making sure I told them I had seen them on laterooms and they gave me a free bottle of wine and matched the online rate as by going direct I had saved them the 20+% commission.
  • linden
    • 8th Aug 07, 11:41 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 11:41 AM
    Has anyone got any comments on single supplements ?
    Are any hotels beginning to build single rooms ?
    Does anyone charge half for a single room ?
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 8th Aug 07, 11:53 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    • 8th Aug 07, 11:53 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 11:53 AM
    Single rooms; I'm a fan of the route that Travelodge etc have taken of a room rate not a person rate.

After all whether 1 or more people occupy it the room is taken so why charge more for 2 people? (Ok there is a slightly higher cost of towels/breakfast etc but not double!).

It's not that I think single person supplements are wrong, I think per person pricing for a hotel room is wrong.
    • fatboyonadiet
    • By fatboyonadiet 8th Aug 07, 1:03 PM
    • 5,299 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    fatboyonadiet
    • 8th Aug 07, 1:03 PM
    • 8th Aug 07, 1:03 PM
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    I did see the it but there's no mention of 'Name Your Own Price'?
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • cpjackso
    • 8th Aug 07, 5:02 PM
    • 8th Aug 07, 5:02 PM
    I always use www.tripadvisor.com to check up their candid traveller photos and users write-ups... They are much more informing than the star system - and give a better overall view of what you pay for.

I've had success booking cheap rooms through www.asiarooms.com and !!!!!!!!!!!... Venere is good because it's booking facility shows availability in real-time.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 8th Aug 07, 9:17 PM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 3,609 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    I thought the following 3 threads may be of interest to anyone wanting a cheaper deal.

Blindman has done an excellent guide on how to use Priceline

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=233768

Glenn The Baker also has an excellent Price match Marriott guide

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=441012

(I have an updated version here too)

Saveapenny is the cheap Thomson Hotels and apartments expert. Often she finds hotels for as little as 50p (Yes 50p !!!) per person per night

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=361099
  • MollyandButtons
    On my travels around Europe, business and pleasure, i have found http://www.viamichelin.com a great site for hotels in out-of-the-way places. It lists smaller hotels, not just the big chains, and I have never been disappointed.

If your French, Italian or whatever is up to it then ring the hotel direct and negotiate a better price or better room. Prices always seem cheaper then the UK sites.

Safe journey, everyone

Mike O.
    • freeganneist
    • By freeganneist 13th Aug 07, 1:55 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    freeganneist
    Name your own price (Priceline)
    I use Priceline's name your own price facility wherever possible. It's most useful when you're travelling in the US and Canada, but you can still get great bargains in Europe, and in the UK, although there can be poor availability in places outside of London (Bristol's been OK in my experience). I've stayed in 4-5* hotels in Europe for little more than £30 prpn, and usually much less in Canada. The hotels who offer opaque rooms to Priceline tend to be chains like Marriotts, Hyatts, Holiday Inn, but can be smaller and more independent. Often the lower star levels in the US include breakfast (and maybe pools and free internet access), at silly prices like £15 a night.

Priceline Hong Kong and Singapore seem to be separate from the main US (.com) version, and cover Asia as well as Europe and America. Priceline.co.uk is very closely linked to Priceline.com, you just bid in pounds, but quite often their emailed replies mention dollars.

Two websites give you an indication of how to bid effectively, and to see what hotels people are getting for what prices.
    www.biddingfortravel.com
    www.betterbidding.com

Also, Hotwire offers a less opaque service, like lastminute. You can see the price, the star rating, the facilities and the area of town, but you can't see the hotel name. The betterbidding site above maintains a list matching the descriptions to the name of the hotel that people have actually got.

Having used both hotwire and priceline extensively, saved a lot of money, and quite often been upgraded as well, I'd recommend trying it, but it's best to be an educated bidder and read those websites, and priceline's T&Cs.

Once you get the hang of it it can be addictive.
  • sbutton
    Is there any way of doing it the other way round?
    All the hotel finder sites seem to want to know the city you are staying in first rather than the other way round. Is there any web sites where I can get the cheapest hotels, and specify all the requirements that I need.

For instance, I'd like to go away on 31st August for two nights in a nice hotel (4 or 5 stars??) with a pool and leisure facilities. Please show me the cheapest locations around the UK, and I'll choose which one is most suitable.

Suggestions?
  • moob
    A big personal thanks goes to budgetflyer.

I used the tips provided in the links in the post and saved a fortune through Priceline. I've post on the relevant forums to thank as well!
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 15th Aug 07, 9:19 PM
    • 5,634 Posts
    • 3,609 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    Thanks moob. Its actually Blindman who did the Priceline article.He did all the work and research for our benefit.
    Secret to success - copy experts.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 16th Aug 07, 11:07 AM
    • 4,961 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    blindman
    I use Priceline's name your own price facility wherever possible. It's most useful when you're travelling in the US and Canada, but you can still get great bargains in Europe, and in the UK, although there can be poor availability in places outside of London (Bristol's been OK in my experience). I've stayed in 4-5* hotels in Europe for little more than £30 prpn, and usually much less in Canada. The hotels who offer opaque rooms to Priceline tend to be chains like Marriotts, Hyatts, Holiday Inn, but can be smaller and more independent. Often the lower star levels in the US include breakfast (and maybe pools and free internet access), at silly prices like £15 a night.

Priceline Hong Kong and Singapore seem to be separate from the main US (.com) version, and cover Asia as well as Europe and America. Priceline.co.uk is very closely linked to Priceline.com, you just bid in pounds, but quite often their emailed replies mention dollars.

Two websites give you an indication of how to bid effectively, and to see what hotels people are getting for what prices.
    www.biddingfortravel.com
    www.betterbidding.com

Also, Hotwire offers a less opaque service, like lastminute. You can see the price, the star rating, the facilities and the area of town, but you can't see the hotel name. The betterbidding site above maintains a list matching the descriptions to the name of the hotel that people have actually got.

Having used both hotwire and priceline extensively, saved a lot of money, and quite often been upgraded as well, I'd recommend trying it, but it's best to be an educated bidder and read those websites, and priceline's T&Cs.

Once you get the hang of it it can be addictive.
    Originally posted by freeganneist
    I hope you posted your winning bids on either if not both web sites you mentioned.
  • moob
    Thanks moob. Its actually Blindman who did the Priceline article.He did all the work and research for our benefit.
    Secret to success - copy experts.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    It's OK BF, I've already thanked the man in question on the relevant thread.
  • Money Shaving Expert
    A fantastic site which should have been mentioned that i have used for many years is www.smoothhound.co.uk - its great if you want to find the best deals on the smaller hotels and especially the smaller b&b's and guest houses which many other sites do not list. It also offers all the major chains. I find it extremely quick and easy to use.

The site also says to mention Smooth Hound when booking your stay as it offers additional discounts - it seems to work some of the time but not all - but if you don't ask you definately don't get!!

Another handy thing is that they list the lowest possible price available for that hotel - so if the hotel is asking for a higher figure at the time of your booking you know that you may have a chance of negotiating down to at least the lower figure which probably usually only applies to a quiet period.

Hope this helps as much as Smooth Hound has helped me!
  • theamazinggem
    hello hello.

just a quick couple of things. we've done the hostel thing quite a lot on city breaks in europe, we've stayed here http://www.miss-sophies.com/ in prague (awesome bathroom, tho was a couple of years ago now), here http://meininger-hostels.com/en/metanavigation/home/ in berlin, (huge room, cable tv) and just the other day here http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Oops-Paris-22773 in paris (no tv, location a bit out, but a quieter area, free internet and breakfast, nice new rooms).

they're not hotels. they will have young travellers in, but all these places were perfectly quiet etc when we stayed, and to be honest usually the doubles are on a different floor to the dorms anyway.

DO get review from hostelworld and tripadvisor, tho expect the odd bad one, and go with the majority. also you can see the ages of the reviewers on hostelworld, which tells you alot too.

in August we did the lastminute.com top secret hotels thing, we got this place http://www.hazlittshotel.com/rok_index.html which was lovely, but there was building work and there was scaffolding at the windows. it was fine though, and the room was beautiful.

we did it again for the trip to paris, only on being sent the name of the hotel, we looked it up on tripadvisor we saw it had horrendous reviews from virtually all users. we e-mailed lastminute.com and complained and were given 24 hours to pick another hotel from their website, else lose £20 but get a refund. we looked on the internet and found the hostel above for about half what we were going to pay, and did that instead.

be careful though, some of the top secret hotels are now coming up with "non-refundable" on them, so think a bit harder before booking these, and follow all the tips mentioned about putting the descriptions into google to try and find out what you're getting.

hope this helps folk. happy travelling!

(also i'm going to edinburgh for my birthday in february on the cheap sleeper ticket, so any tips on places to stay there would be great!)
    Trying to be good, not always succeeding.
  • Willspireite
    Priceline ... name your price ... anyone used it?
    Hi,
    Was wondering if anyone has used the priceline site that Martin highlights in the main site ... (about half way down the link page)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-hotels
    I was looking to use it, but seems like you need a USA or Canada address! :confused: Anyone know if it's possible to use this site from within the UK?
    Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

10Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin