Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Chloe98
    Mobiles.co.uk, can they be trusted?
    • 17th Apr 15, 6:07 PM
    Mobiles.co.uk, can they be trusted? 17th Apr 15 at 6:07 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you're in the market for a new mobile read our 30+ Cheap Mobile Tips first.

Back to Chloe98's original post...

---

I'm considering taking a contract out with Mobiles.co.uk for a Samsung Galaxy S6 because they're giving me a really good offer. (194.99 upfront & £23.50 a month for 500 mins, 500mb and unlimited texts.

The negative reviews I've seen of the site all seem to refer to the cashback deals. Do you have to take a cashback deal or can you choose not to?

Would you recommend mobiles.co.uk or advise against it? If so, what other safe sites can you recommend?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Page 6
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 13th Feb 17, 9:51 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Marcio45
    Eshul and dirty magic,
    It is not always the case that buying the phone upfront is cheaper.
    When the galaxy s7 edge came out i managed to get a deal for £34 a month. In 24 months that would make just over £800.
    The phone cost at the time was over £600 and considering you still need to get a sim only for at least £10 a month (with 2gb internet), i do think i got a good deal.
    Just need to do the maths.
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 13th Feb 17, 9:57 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Marcio45
    I normally do cashback with the caskback websites like quidco and topcashback.
    For a sim only of around £20 (15/20gb internet) current cashback is around 50/60 pounds. Vodafone and o2 have current deals.
    Consider as well bt mobile, you can also get cashback and also a amazon/itunes gift card.
    I know not as good, but much less hassle
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 14th Feb 17, 8:07 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Craig... just make sure you read the reviews for them before you venture. They are well known to mess about with the cashbacks... you have to send a form in particular dates with a copy of a bill, which they often refuse as not being suitable. Also often the cheques they send never arrive.
    Originally posted by Marcio45
    Not with me they don't - though in past years they have tried it on a few times. Nowadays cashback claims are much easier anyway - though deals are nowhere near as good. I'd rather it was the other way round, since I am down to three contracts from a peak of about 10 at times.

Follow the groundrules and you will get paid - unless the dealer goes bust (as Phones4u among others did):-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=558661&highlight=cashback

I also repeat; CPW cashback deals have been very inferior to Mobile Phones Direct for the last couple of years. In fact, as a result I now only use the latter - who accept and pay claims like lightening but are (in my view) a slightly higher risk.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 14th Feb 17, 8:34 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    craigr98
    Not with me they don't - though in past years they have tried it on a few times. Nowadays cashback claims are much easier anyway - though deals are nowhere near as good. I'd rather it was the other way round, since I am down to three contracts from a peak of about 10 at times.

Follow the groundrules and you will get paid - unless the dealer goes bust (as Phones4u among others did):-

I also repeat; CPW cashback deals have been very inferior to Mobile Phones Direct for the last couple of years. In fact, as a result I now only use the latter - who accept and pay claims like lightening but are (in my view) a slightly higher risk.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    They don't seem to have such competitive deals. Notice that the 20GB Vodafone deal is both on e2save and mobiles.co.uk both CPW aren't they? Which one is better to deal with? Don't really understand why they haven't merged both companies.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 14th Feb 17, 11:10 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Effectively, They have. No difference.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 31st Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    mobiles.co.uk
    Hi just done a bill monitor and they came back with a good deal for a new phone and contract with EE who I am with anyway
    The company I would be buying of is mobiles.co.uk and all the reviews I can find are not good ones
    does anyone on here have any thoughts on them?
    Thank you
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 31st Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Er.... isn't it all on this thread?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 31st Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    I wasn't aware of this thread
    my post has been put here by someone but now I can read this thread
    • andrewthomas2008
    • By andrewthomas2008 17th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    andrewthomas2008
    So if I take out a phone through mobiles.co.uk, when the contract is up will I have to upgrade through mobile.co.uk or direct with the network I.e. O2
    • grumpyclogs
    • By grumpyclogs 31st May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grumpyclogs
    AVOID cashback deals from mobiles.co.uk!

They used to be good and always paid up, but over the past year (or so) they have started "playing up". When their system works it works, but when it doesn't (for whatever reason) you've got NO CHANCE of getting your cashback.

I have been waiting for a cheque since May 2016 (a year ago!). They did send me a replacement in December (2016), but it was in the wrong name! Since then they have been fobbing me off with one lie or another.

SERIOUSLY, AVOID THEM!

In terms of trust-worthiness, these days, they are no better than the lesser known companies out there.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 31st May 17, 11:57 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    "NO CHANCE" is down to you. No-one should ever trust any dealer, but as long as they don't go bust and you follow the groundrules (clearly, you have not) they will pay up - one way or another.
    • grumpyclogs
    • By grumpyclogs 7th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grumpyclogs
    @mobilejunkie Your company's "groundrules" require that I should submit a telco bill within 60 days of the cashback due date via your website, which I did, after 10 days of the due date to be precise. Also, I pay the telco by DD so have no unpaid balance with them.

SO, tell me, what makes you think so "clearly" that I "have not" followed your company's groundrules?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 7th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Lots of things. Firstly, I doubt you've read them:-

If you had, you would have immediately issued a LBA when the first cheque didn't arrive. They wouldn't have allowed themselves the massive amount of time to send the replacement cheque they usually stretch to, since that would mean they didn't pay in the proper timescale. A cheque in the wrong name would be treated in the same way.

Why on earth have you let this go on for for over a year? I'd had issued about 10 months ago - but they would almost certainly have paid me by then, since the LBA almost invariably does the trick. Trust me, I've had LOTS of experience with CPW and they don't get away with anything unless you allow them to. After all, would they let you get away with claiming a day late?
    • GT60
    • By GT60 23rd Jun 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    After asking the questions
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5646980
    Well here is my personal experence.
    Well what can I say after two months of research and asking on different forums and asking Samsung themselves about mobiles.co.uk everything has far exceeded my expectations.
    I was in the doom and gloom camp about mobiles.co.uk after reading bad reports about mobile.co.uk and was waiting for CPW to drop their prices but Mobiles.co.uk have put up with my constant pestering for two months quizzing them about who supplies the Samsung phones, are they reboxed and are they really new.
    I even went to the trouble of e mailing the CEO of mobiles.co.uk after CPW and EE claimed and stated to me that Mobiles.co.uk Samsung phones are all refurb and sold as new and are sourced outside the EU so they can sell them cheaper than the rest of the competition
    But I can conform and Mobiles also confirm the phones are in that supplied by Samsung UK.
    In all the whole experience of dealing with Mobiles.co.uk was very good and the phone an Samsung S7 came in the Samsung packaging and had the Samsung security seal intacked.
    One very happy customer with a NEW shinny S7
    • d123
    • By d123 23rd Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 4,237 Thanks
    d123
    I even went to the trouble of e mailing the CEO of mobiles.co.uk after CPW and EE claimed and stated to me that Mobiles.co.uk Samsung phones are all refurb and sold as new and are sourced outside the EU so they can sell them cheaper than the rest of the competition
    Originally posted by GT60
    Why would CPW claim that? Do you mean an individual salesman said it rather than CPW themselves?

mainly because mobiles.co.uk is actually part of CPW, the stock sold by mobiles.co.uk is the same stock sold by CPW as it would come from the same warehouse...

If you've now signed up, have a look at the t&c's and see who've you signed up with...

Here's a hint

Mobiles.co.uk - Goods and Service Terms and Conditions

"Carphone Warehouse Group" means The Carphone Warehouse Limited, together with its subsidiary and holding companies and any subsidiaries of such holding companies whether direct or indirect from time to time, including Carphone Warehouse Group plc. and its affiliates and subsidiary companies from time to time;
    https://media.mobiles.co.uk/tandc/mobiles/terms_and_conditions.pdf
    ====
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 23rd Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    I believe they are saying EE told them that - which is quite common since networks lie to try to frighten potential customers away from cheaper dealers. All CPW companies clearly state when phones offered are "refurbished"; otherwise they are brand new (even those described as "refurbished are often simply brand new phones returned by customers rather than actually being old ones which have actually been refurbished).

The problems with CPW are with cashback (though usually rare nowadays and easily avoided IF you follow the groundrules) or repairs (where phones come back worse than they started) rather than with the actual phones supplied.
    • GT60
    • By GT60 23rd Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    GT60
    [QUOTE=d123;72737930]Why would CPW claim that? Do you mean an individual salesman said it rather than CPW themselves?

The salesman is representing CPW so therefor is speaking for CPW

I alreadyknew mobiles.co.uk are a sister company of CPW
    thanks anyway
    • d123
    • By d123 23rd Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 6,608 Posts
    • 4,237 Thanks
    d123
    Why would CPW claim that? Do you mean an individual salesman said it rather than CPW themselves?
    Originally posted by d123
    The salesman is representing CPW so therefor is speaking for CPW

I alreadyknew mobiles.co.uk are a sister company of CPW
    thanks anyway
    Originally posted by GT60
    And you believe everything a salesman will say to get a sale?

By the way, an opinion of a single individual doesn't amount to speaking for the company. Give their head office a call and ask if Mr Liar is a designated spokesman for the company and see what they say...
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter