Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Rebecca
    • By Former MSE Rebecca 15th Apr 15, 3:49 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 96Thanks
    Former MSE Rebecca
    0 WOW
    Over 65s Travel Insurance Guide Discussion
    • 15th Apr 15, 3:49 PM
    0 WOW
    Over 65s Travel Insurance Guide Discussion 15th Apr 15 at 3:49 PM

Hi,

We've written a new Over 65s Travel Insurance guide for the website and we'd love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you would add?

Thanks for your help,

MSE Rebecca
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Apr 15, 4:38 PM
    • 35,523 Posts
    • 45,721 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 15th Apr 15, 4:38 PM
    • 15th Apr 15, 4:38 PM
    Havent seen it, can you put a link here please.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Apr 15, 9:26 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 15th Apr 15, 9:26 PM
    • 15th Apr 15, 9:26 PM
    Had a quick look, seems very informative.

I think there's a 'not' missing in the paragraph:

However, one thing to be aware of is that if, for example, the 66 year old fell ill and ended up in hospital and couldn't fly back at the end of the holiday, the 44 year old and the kids would be covered for the cost of having to stay on as they are on a separate policy. If they were all on the same policy they would all be covered
    Evolution, not revolution
    • lynbroome
    • By lynbroome 15th Jul 15, 3:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lynbroome
    • 15th Jul 15, 3:21 PM
    Make sure you're both on the Insurance with same company
    • 15th Jul 15, 3:21 PM
    We found that whatever your age it is no good if your travel insurance is provided as part of your bank account's ''extras'' and your spouse is covered by their bank account similar perk because should you be taken seriously ill they are not mentioned on the policy so the insurance firm will not pay out for the spouse to stay at the hospital bedside, stay in a nearby hotel etc etc. If you add your spouse on to your 'freebie'' policy it will be above usual price but if with company such as N/Wide it may be best deal
    • macloud
    • By macloud 21st Sep 15, 5:29 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    macloud
    • 21st Sep 15, 5:29 PM
    • 21st Sep 15, 5:29 PM
    Fine, as far as it goes. However, I am trying to get definitive info re the situation concerning holidaying in the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, etc). Presumably this would apply for any age, so it is of general application and interest.

As the Channel Islands are OUTSIDE the EU, the EHIC card is irrelevant. So what exactly is the position if I fall ill and need medical treatment while I am in the CI ? I am 70 years old; wife 66.

I understand (?) that the reciprocal medical arrangements between CI and Great Britain ceased in 2009. Elsewhere I read that 'emergency treatment' would still be covered (free) by CI Health Authorities. It begs the question of how far this would go of course. Presumably not as far as repatriation by air ambulance !

Anyone got definitive info on current position on this ? We fly out there next Monday !
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 21st Sep 15, 10:57 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 21st Sep 15, 10:57 PM
    • 21st Sep 15, 10:57 PM
    Fine, as far as it goes. However, I am trying to get definitive info re the situation concerning holidaying in the Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, etc). Presumably this would apply for any age, so it is of general application and interest.

As the Channel Islands are OUTSIDE the EU, the EHIC card is irrelevant. So what exactly is the position if I fall ill and need medical treatment while I am in the CI ? I am 70 years old; wife 66.

I understand (?) that the reciprocal medical arrangements between CI and Great Britain ceased in 2009. Elsewhere I read that 'emergency treatment' would still be covered (free) by CI Health Authorities. It begs the question of how far this would go of course. Presumably not as far as repatriation by air ambulance !

Anyone got definitive info on current position on this ? We fly out there next Monday !
    Originally posted by macloud
    this thread is about travel insurance policies, not free treatment from the State.
    What does your insurance document say about the CIs?
    A salary slave no more.....
    • macloud
    • By macloud 22nd Sep 15, 9:23 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    macloud
    • 22nd Sep 15, 9:23 AM
    • 22nd Sep 15, 9:23 AM
    Aah, forgive me, for I have sinned : thread drift.

But, to answer your question, I have no travel insurance (yet) as I am unsure if it is worth bothering because of the uncertainty with respect to the Channel Islands; hence my question here, rather than raising another thread.
    • SRC1
    • By SRC1 9th Jun 16, 12:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SRC1
    • 9th Jun 16, 12:09 AM
    Src1
    • 9th Jun 16, 12:09 AM
    Hello. This is a first post and a bit off topic so moderator please move this if necessary. As age 70+ UK citizens, living outside the EU but wanting to visit Spain, Portugal etc, we are looking for a UK company who will issue emergency medical insurance. However, they all seem to require UK residency., excepting Nomad who have an age restriction. If anyone can help with this, please do! Many thanks.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 9th Jun 16, 12:15 AM
    • 13,361 Posts
    • 6,123 Thanks
    dzug1
    • 9th Jun 16, 12:15 AM
    • 9th Jun 16, 12:15 AM
    Will not a company in the country where you live offer you insurance?
    • Laine1
    • By Laine1 23rd Aug 16, 11:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Laine1
    Over 90 days travel
    We are travelling to New Zealand and one of our party will be 68 when we travel. Finding cover for over 90 days is really difficult. Are there any suggestions out there? Thanks
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 20th Jan 17, 11:06 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Article needs update
    Just got a quote from holiday safe light for a 65 year old and it came to £32.72 not including winter sports.
    • john holmes
    • By john holmes 22nd Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john holmes
    Single trip insurance has limited days coverage, how can can pre-holiday accidents & other events be covered due to this
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 22nd Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    EssexExile
    You tell the insurer when you're going on holiday & pay them the money. If anything stops you going on those dates, & it's an insured occurrence like accident or illness, they refund your money.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 22nd Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 2,657 Thanks
    sheramber
    The limited days is only for the trip. You are covered for needing to cancel from the date you take it out.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 12th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Holidaysafe Lite fell at the first hurdle for me. It refused to quote for a 180 day trip to Spain (65+) and would only consider insuring a trip up to 120 days at an extortionate premium (£188+).
    Holiday insurance is a rip-off.
    • gilesfitzh
    • By gilesfitzh 12th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gilesfitzh
    I have just renewed our annual multi trip cover with Alpha travel insurance. Their quote was £31.91 for a couple aged 65 and 63 for Europe incl. Spain upto 31 days
    Last edited by gilesfitzh; 12-07-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added duration
    • nickyhatherell
    • By nickyhatherell 2nd Aug 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nickyhatherell
    Is it always essential to take out travel insurance?
    I'm new to this so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or asking a question that may have been asked before but.....

My 78 year old mother has recently had had a TIA (mini stroke) but is now fine. She wants to carry on as usual and visit her apartment in Spain. However because of this recent event travel insurance will cost her a fortune, so we are asking ourselves does she really need it? She travels on a budget airline with only a small case as hand luggage.

As it's in Europe we understand any Healthcare would be free for her, she has her own place to stay indefinitely if necessary, no holiday bookings that could need cancelling, no luggage to cover.... are we missing something?

Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.
    Last edited by nickyhatherell; 02-08-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling error
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 2nd Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    EssexExile
    The only thing I can think of is repatriation, that can be very expensive if she needs to be brought home.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • zunky
    • By zunky 6th Aug 17, 9:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zunky
    Is it always essential to take out travel insurance?
    Similar question.
    We travel by car to our French house. Our belongings are covered there by our French policy and we have RAC european breakdown cover. I think our domestic policy in UK also covers belongings when travelling.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 6th Aug 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    I'm new to this so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or asking a question that may have been asked before but.....

My 78 year old mother has recently had had a TIA (mini stroke) but is now fine. She wants to carry on as usual and visit her apartment in Spain. However because of this recent event travel insurance will cost her a fortune, so we are asking ourselves does she really need it? She travels on a budget airline with only a small case as hand luggage.

As it's in Europe we understand any Healthcare would be free for her, she has her own place to stay indefinitely if necessary, no holiday bookings that could need cancelling, no luggage to cover.... are we missing something?

Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.
    Originally posted by nickyhatherell
    It may not be free. I believe she would pay what a national of the country would pay if there is a charge. Have a look at
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin