Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 7th Apr 15, 10:23 AM
    • 75Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    Top Cash ISAs 2015/16
    • 7th Apr 15, 10:23 AM
    Top Cash ISAs 2015/16 7th Apr 15 at 10:23 AM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 4
    • UKDeejay
    • By UKDeejay 27th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UKDeejay
    Top ISAs 2017-18...
    The above article mentions that many bank current accounts now offer interest rates on balances far above the best cash ISA rates.
    However, these bank accounts usually require that you pay a monthly fee - typically £10.00 - which would almost cancel out any interest you would receive on, say, a current account balance of £1000.00.
    After all, who has large sums of money 'sloshing around' in their current account???
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 27th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    The above article mentions that many bank current accounts now offer interest rates on balances far above the best cash ISA rates.
    However, these bank accounts usually require that you pay a monthly fee - typically £10.00
    Originally posted by UKDeejay
    No they don't, you must be looking in the wrong place - try http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#interest

After all, who has large sums of money 'sloshing around' in their current account???
    Anyone who wants to earn better interest than they'd get putting it in a <1% traditional savings account or cash ISA.

And there's no need to refer to 'their current account' as if it needs to be singular....
    • Nohopeharry
    • By Nohopeharry 29th Jun 17, 2:16 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nohopeharry
    Who has large amounts in their current account? Me unfortunately, in a HSBC one earning no interest at all. Thankfully, I've learned, and now have a few other current accounts with attached regular savers Im hoping to put some into an investment soon, but it's like a minefield lol
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    badger09

Me and many other posters on here.

Apart from Regular saver accounts, my current accounts have the highest intest rates. Where else do you suggest keeping cash savings?
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 29th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Are cash ISAs genuinely safer than UK gilts? Seen as both are bugggered if the gov goes bust
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 29th Jun 17, 1:37 PM
    • 12,016 Posts
    • 10,451 Thanks
    jimjames
    Who has large amounts in their current account?
    Originally posted by Nohopeharry
    All my cash savings are in my current accounts! All earning on average just over 4%
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 15th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Mobeer
    I know I can only open 2 ISAs in a tax year (I cash and 1 investment) but can I end up with loads of ISAs over a number of tax years or do I always have to move my money to keep it in just the two ISAs? I read somewhere recently that you could only own 2 and now I am confused!!
    Originally posted by LTRT325
    Some though not all ISAs allow contributions made in previous years into other ISAs to be transferred in. Your current ISA providers should be able to advise which of the accounts you have allow transfers in.

Note that you need to go through particular steps to transfer the money; do not withdraw it otherwise you will not be able to pay it back into this years accounts (beyond this year's limits). Again your current providers should be able to advise on this.

If you do transfer old ISAs into new accounts I recommend getting the bank staff to do the transfer for you. I previously had problems with transferring funds (done by bank staff as a payment not a transfer) and since it was the bank's fault they could fix the transfer; if I had made the same mistake there would be no come back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,201Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin