Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    andyf777
    Cifas - can I get ANY credit?
    • 31st Mar 15, 8:38 PM
    Cifas - can I get ANY credit? 31st Mar 15 at 8:38 PM
    So to cut a very long story short, I have a cifas cat 4 marker against my name. I wont bore you with the details but it has been on for 3'years and causing me servere stress. I keep getting declined for even something as basic as a basic bank account.

Does anyone know if and who will give me some form of credit to help build my credit file, and to help my finances look better?

Please note my credit score is 900, never missed any payments, have a credit card, bank account and mobile phone accounts etc (all opened before the cifas)

Anyone else in the same boat that can shed some light?!

Many thanks
    Last edited by andyf777; 31-03-2015 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Page 2
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 31st Mar 15, 11:08 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    Isn't CIFAS great! An effectively unregulated blacklist that can cause innocent people to be 100% financially shafted. I bet in itself it's a cause of fraud!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 31st Mar 15, 11:16 PM
    • 56,231 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Isn't CIFAS great! An effectively unregulated blacklist that can cause innocent people to be 100% financially shafted. I bet in itself it's a cause of fraud!
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    If no one committed application fraud National Hunter would be out of business. Lenders won't waste their money funding such as operation if it wasn't required.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 31st Mar 15, 11:27 PM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    Why as a nation do we tollorate all these blacklists that prevent people living normal lives, the financial sector seems to wield far too much power over us.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 31st Mar 15, 11:30 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    GingerBob
    If no one committed application fraud National Hunter would be out of business. Lenders won't waste their money funding such as operation if it wasn't required.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Application fraud. How does that happen? Take the current thread - a mortgage broker applied using incorrect income details. When I last applied for a mortgage, some 19 years ago, I had to prove my income, I think with a certificate from my employer. Seems to me there's something wrong with the application process here.

However, the really big problem is CIFAS. There's no easy way to correct wrongs within it. In fact, it seems like there NO way. Ultimately such systems do more harm than good.
    • PaulW922
    • By PaulW922 3rd Apr 15, 11:01 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    PaulW922
    If what you say is correct, and you used a mortgage broker was was acting unlawfully, i.e. unregulated, then you must have a case. Why not take it to the ombudsman?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Apr 15, 11:08 AM
    • 56,231 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Application fraud. How does that happen? Take the current thread - a mortgage broker applied using incorrect income details.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Then the issue is with the mortgage broker not the lender. In terms of seeking recourse. Ultimately it's the individuals application form. They signed the declaration stating that the details submitted on the application were accurate to the best of their knowledge and belief.
    “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”
    ― Warren Buffett
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 3rd Apr 15, 11:13 AM
    • 56,231 Posts
    • 49,606 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Why as a nation do we tollorate all these blacklists that prevent people living normal lives, the financial sector seems to wield far too much power over us.
    Originally posted by Brooker Dave
    Because not all people are honest. Many will happily lie to get what they want. Only a very small proportion fall foul of the rules.
    ― Warren Buffett
    • dumpyboy
    • By dumpyboy 3rd Apr 15, 11:57 AM
    • 366 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    dumpyboy
    The powers to be do not accept there are such things as blacklists and un to they do nothing will never change and the finacanal system will run out of controll
    • Grayze1980
    • By Grayze1980 17th Jan 16, 4:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Grayze1980
    Chorley gets a mention here a someone who might lossoible lend to someone with a CIFAS marker. Does anyone know of any other?
    • David White
    • By David White 17th Jan 16, 4:51 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    David White
    To stop people committing fraud?

It's like saying why do we allow people to have criminal records. I bet there's plenty of people with records that plead ignorance and that it was someone else's fault.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 17th Jan 16, 5:12 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    A4445
    What do you have to do wrong to get a Cifas marker that stops you getting any credit?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Jan 16, 5:17 PM
    • 17,480 Posts
    • 11,706 Thanks
    molerat
    What do you have to do wrong to get a Cifas marker that stops you getting any credit?
    Originally posted by A4445
    Read the thread - in this case party to mortgage application fraud.
    CIFAS Categories Explained

0 - Protective Registration - Recorded at the request of the person named.
    1 - False Identity Fraud - Use of a false name with an address.
    2 - Victim of Impersonation - Use, by another person, of this name and/or address.
    3 - Application Fraud (Facility Granted) - Use of name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was granted.
    4 - Application Fraud (Facility Refused) - Use of a name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was refused.
    5 - Conversion - Conversion (disposal or sale) of goods (to which the hirer/buyer does not have title) under a hire purchase, conditional sale, contract hire, leasing or rental agreement.
    6 - First Party Fraud - Opening an account or other facility for a fraudulent purpose, or the fraudulent misuse of an account or facility.
    7 - Aiding & Abetting - Aiding, abetting or assisting, or conspiring with, another or others to fraudulently procure credit, or other facilities, or hire products or services.
    8 - Insurance Claims Fraud - The making of a claim(s) under one or more insurance policy (ies) with one or more material falsehoods or by presenting a false or forged document.
    Last edited by molerat; 17-01-2016 at 5:26 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • David White
    • By David White 17th Jan 16, 5:43 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    David White
    Originally posted by A4445
    Commit mortgage fraud by the looks of it.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • MaebyJade
    • By MaebyJade 17th Jan 16, 5:53 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    MaebyJade
    No thats the thing, i have no proof other than my word and a bank transfer transactin for £2000 to the broker (who i have since found out wasnt regulated)
    I really am snookered
    Originally posted by andyf777
    You paid the broker £2,000!! Why so expensive? Most are free and the ones that do charge are only a few hundred pounds max.
    • pvt
    • By pvt 18th Jan 16, 8:08 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    pvt
    This is an old thread that Greyze has raked up, however, in answer to those who said CIFAS cannot be challenged, there is an appeal process. This involves you exhausting a complaint with the company who originally applied the marker and then obtaining a final decision or letter of deadlock from them. You can then make an appeal to CIFAS who will review it.

I had a situation where an inappropriate CIFAS marker was given to me, and the company that applied it steadfastly refused to remove it. When I asked for a letter of deadlock from them they finally removed it, before I got as far as the CIFAS appeal process.

Whilst I therefore don't know what the CIFAS appeal process involved, I suspect that for a lay person without experience the use of a solicitor to handle the matter may be a prudent move.
    Optimists see a glass half full
    Pessimists see a glass half empty
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be
    • ireneboston
    • By ireneboston 15th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ireneboston
    Did you consider leaving this country and relocating somewhere else? I mean these are 6 years of your life. The amount of crime committed and people getting away with (like a drug-addict mother who stuck her baby in a washing machine and killed it got two years) and this poor guy trying to get a house to live in willing to pay ripping off interest and the mortgage broker's fees on top out of being desperate. And when gets caught they cut his oxygen off for 6 years. The time to do career is when you are young, after 6 years you will be considerably older in terms of job interviews etc. Even getting mortgage is harder for over 40-s.. My Husband and I are in the process of leaving England for good because it is impossible for a normal person to as little as buy own place!
    Last edited by ireneboston; 15-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    • David555
    • By David555 15th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    David555
    Whilst on the subject, what happens if your income increases?

I applied for a few credit building cards in Dec/Jan, at the time my income was 17k before tax. My income has now increased to 20k. What happens if I applied for more credit in the future and they notice my income doesn't match my previous applications if I now put my new income?

Last thing I want is my bank and cards being closed down without warning! To be honest this thread has put me off even risking trying though I'd ideally like a 0% card in future or a reward card! Hope the op managed to get something sorted out. Harsh harsh punishment
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin