Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eddiemacthedog
    • By eddiemacthedog 30th Mar 15, 3:48 PM
    • 95Posts
    • 25Thanks
    eddiemacthedog
    Mortgage discharge Scotland?
    • 30th Mar 15, 3:48 PM
    Mortgage discharge Scotland? 30th Mar 15 at 3:48 PM
    In the fortunate post'n to pay off my mortgage with Barclays/woolwich but believe the process may be different up here in scotland.

I phoned Barclays today and they are sending out a final redemption figure in the post, now I asked when I pay the final amount the "deeds" and a covering letter will be sent to my home address, they also said the charge they have will be released but I thought a solicitor had to do it in scotland? Maybe they were unaware of the differences up here.

Has anyone been through a similar process and have an idiots guide to how all this is supposed to pan out?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • smitch59
    • By smitch59 6th Feb 16, 8:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    smitch59
    • 6th Feb 16, 8:37 PM
    Barclays/Woolwich confusion
    • 6th Feb 16, 8:37 PM
    I too am in the fortunate position to have cleared my mortgage with Barclays/Woolwich. When I inquired about the final process and my Title Deeds I was informed that they would be sent to me once my final payment had been processed etc.

I specifically asked if the 'CHARGE' over my property would be removed. I was assured this would, and that it takes them 3 to 4 weeks to complete all the paperwork etc. I received this assurance twice, from two different members of staff at Barclays.

Surprise, Surprise . . . when I received my Title Deeds, low and behold, the accompanying letter stated I would have to obtain the services of a Solicitor to have the charge removed!!! When I've looked into this, it appears Barclays are able to do this for customers in England but not Scotland. They leave the onus upon you to have the charge removed and the pleasure of paying for it.

If you don't have this done, then any checks on the property (if you decide to sell) shows Barclays as having a charge over the property EVEN ALTHOUGH YOU'VE PAID OFF THE MORTGAGE.

NOT HAPPY
    • ptkloon
    • By ptkloon 16th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ptkloon
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    Can anyone explain what I require to do - I have recently paid off my mortgage and also received a letter saying I would need to contact a solicitor who would, for a fee, prepare a discharge document.
    Is this required, and where do I store my title deeds? I have a fireproof safe that I was going to store it in
    • ptkloon
    • By ptkloon 20th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    ptkloon
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    I have been quoted £215 for the discharge of the Standard Security, plus £60 for registration dues required to have the discharge registered against the property.

Does this seem typical?
    • HOUSEWIFE25
    • By HOUSEWIFE25 1st May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    HOUSEWIFE25
    • 1st May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1st May 17, 7:44 PM
    Hi, does anyone know if when you receive your deeds from the mortgage lender, when the mortgage has been paid off, can you deal with the land registry yourself, rather than a solicitor to discharge it. To save on paying solicitors fees. This is in Scotland.
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,152Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin