Extra selling at the till

Ratison
Ratison Posts: 263
Debt-free and Proud!
Forumite
edited 31 March 2015 at 3:57PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Just wanted to rant really. I hate it when you go into a shop, queue to buy your things and then at the till you get asked if you're interested in buying an array of items they have on the counter. I feel for the staff who are forced to do this by higher-ups, but it really puts me off going into places. How to people not realise this is why a lot of people shop online?

Particularly bad offenders are WH Smiths, Savers, Superdrug and Claire's Accessories - oh, and anywhere that tries to get you to sign up to a store card.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just say "No thanks" Job done.
  • Ratison
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Well yeah. I do that. I'm ranting about something that annoys me, not looking to be patronised.
  • Ratison wrote: »
    Well yeah. I do that. I'm ranting about something that annoys me, not looking to be patronised.

Unfortunately Ratison, there's always one. ;) I think some people miss the point of this board, or they are just purposely being condescending and patronising.

I am right with you here. I hate it. I go into WHSMiths to buy a paper or magazine, NOT to buy a giant sized Galaxy bar!

It's like when I go to the post office to buy a STAMP, I always get the cashier trying to sell me their insurance, or a post office savings account! And when I go to the bank, they try and get me to have my home insurance with them, or something...

But yes, Superdrug and Claire's is quite bad for it: always asking you to buy extra at the till. I hate being badgered by anyone trying to make me spend more than I want to or intend to.

The other week I bought a £3.99 item from Argos, and they tried to get me to take out insurance on it. On an item worth £3.99!
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    It annoys me too and Superdrug have got to be the worst offender. They're always trying to flog maybelline mascara at the till, and if I don't want that how about some stamps? or an out of date bottle of water for 50p?
    No thanks, and no I don't have a loyalty card, I don't want a loyalty card, I just want to buy my shampoo and get out of the shop at a much faster pace than this is taking!
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    But if you buy online you will often be cajoled into considering extra products. Not a lot of difference
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I just vote with my feet.

I know WH Smith for example will try to flog me all sort of bits at the till so I simply don't shop there. They only do it because it works so I do my bit towards ensuring it won't work - using the only method they take notice of .....sales (or rather lack of....).
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i aways say I bet your sick off saying that after i say no.
    i would go mental if i had to say do you want to buy ####,800 times
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Ratison
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks for the back-up guys. I definitely vote with my feet too, and avoid places where it feels like a chore to shop there. The other day I was offered shampoo, then perfume, then something else too in Superdrug. It just smacks of desperation on behalf of the store.

Dzug1, somehow it doesn't feel as pushy when it's online and it's just a case of clicking a box. Maybe I'm soft, but when you know a shop assistant is being forced to push for extra sales, I do have a pang of guilt when I say no. I guess they partly rely on people who are soft(er than me) to bump up their sales.

I remember a friend working in Evans a few years ago who said that they were encouraged to push store cards during the week, as most people shopping then were unemployed and were viewed as being more likely to sign up. Not a nice tactic.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,775
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ratison wrote: »
    Just wanted to rant really. I hate it when you go into a shop, queue to buy your things and then at the till you get asked if you're interested in buying an array of items they have on the counter. I feel for the staff who are forced to do this by higher-ups, but it really puts me off going into places. How to people not realise this is why a lot of people shop online?

Particularly bad offenders are WH Smiths, Savers, Superdrug and Claire's Accessories - oh, and anywhere that tries to get you to sign up to a store card.

Yes absolutely! I stopped using WH Smith's because of it. I always have an urge to say "If i wanted it, I'd ask for it so shut up" but I haven't done so because i know it is probably forced on them by their managers.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    duchy wrote: »
    I just vote with my feet.

I know WH Smith for example will try to flog me all sort of bits at the till so I simply don't shop there. They only do it because it works so I do my bit towards ensuring it won't work - using the only method they take notice of .....sales (or rather lack of....).

I avoid WH Smiths now as the prices and cross selling annoy me.

I may be wrong as it's been a while since I was in there, but I'm pretty sure I used the self service till last time I was in there to avoid the cross selling and as I pressed to pay, the machine tried to cross sell me some chocolate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure