Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 18th Mar 15, 11:52 AM
    • 2,337Posts
    • 1,095Thanks
    AliceBanned
    SportKa MOT advisories question - oil leak
    • 18th Mar 15, 11:52 AM
    SportKa MOT advisories question - oil leak 18th Mar 15 at 11:52 AM
    Hi

My Ford Sportka, 12 years old failed MOT a week ago on emissions - but sensors were cleaned out it passed after that.

I am trying to stick to a budget but not sure what to do. Ideally it needs a service very soon as it has been 10k miles since the last service, but it has been seen my a local mechanic for a brakes issue so was fitted with new discs and pads - they gave it a glance over at the time.

On the advisory from the MOT it states 'oil leak from area of filter'. As it hasn't had an oil filter change for a bit over 10k miles should I get this looked at, and should I really have at least an interim service done?

Another advisory this time is 'nearside front wheel slightly distorted' and some corrosion on offside outer sill. I can see the rust - two 2" diameter sections where the paint has gone completely.

I just had to fork out for the break discs and a new windscreen..so trying to budget but it is a nice car and it seems to be slowly becoming less so and/or needing a lot more spent on it. I know that's normal with older cars but I am just trying to weigh up what my options are.

I am also considering whether to keep it. I only do about 4k miles a year. I do like driving it but as it is 1.6L engine the road tax is £240 per year so it is not the cheapest. MOTs - it has passed since I bought it about 4 years ago apart from tiny issues such as bulbs and then this time it failed for the first time on emissions.I only use it socially as I get public transport to work but I live in a town so do need it at the weekend and eves. I know some newer cars cost nothing in road tax and might cost less in repairs in the future - but at the moment have no funds for a newer car unless by HP.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Joe Horner 23rd Sep 16, 9:31 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Sad day for the thread, but for the best in the long run.

Like in any relationship there can come a point where the aggravation leaves you resenting them & it's usually better to part on good terms before that happens
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 24th Sep 16, 8:56 AM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Sad day for the thread, but for the best in the long run.

Like in any relationship there can come a point where the aggravation leaves you resenting them & it's usually better to part on good terms before that happens
    Originally posted by Joe Horner

Thanks everyone for your help. Has been a great journey.

I saw her ride off into the sunset with someone else..someone who likes rusty kangaroos.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 22nd Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    So I am considering a Suzuki Swift or Swift Sport.

One locally for £1600 with RAC warranty but it has 114000 miles on the clock! Another one for 2,200 but has about 57k on the clock.

I am still pretty broke but my bank seems to let me keep increasing my overdraft, so I may get a car by the end of November or soon after.

Any advice on that make and model would be appreciated. It is always scarey buying from these dealers but I am wiser after my other garage experiences. Private sales are also scarey and some of the dealers seem to be lowering prices - I think it is a buyers' market. I was looking at the Mini, which I would love but because it is too much of a luxury for me at the moment. I am also anxious about damage as my previous car was keyed. I don't want anything too valuable right now, it is too risky for me. Thanks for any advice. I'm posting this on the same thread because some of you know me.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 14th Dec 16, 2:58 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Mmmm I am continuing to save and delay buying a car. It feels quite good - doing a bit of research, the adventure of buses and going to different places than before socially because I need a car to get to the old places.

That is easy to say when I know that I will get a car at some point - but I am in the swing of repaying debts at the moment so don't want to spoil that, so I am using (for once in my life) patience and discipline to forego things that I want rather than need.

I was reading reviews on What Car? yesterday and realised that believe it or not the Sportka spec I had (same as StreetKa) is not such an easy act to follow. I also realise I find it extremely difficult to buy a car with my head rather than heart.

I am trying to think with my head and look at Hyundai I10, an old VW Polo or Up! or a Skoda Fabia, Citroen C1 etc. Yet in some many reviews there was no sense of FUN in driving any of these. So I looked at the StreetKa review:

http://www.whatcar.com/ford/ka/hatchback/used-review/

Reading the first paragraph I realise it was in so many ways a good car and suited me down to the ground. Yet I am now looking at (to tide me over for a year until my mortgage is sorted) Nissan Micra.

Another option would be to not buy a car for a few months longer and then go for a Mini, which seems like one of the few cars that would give me that buzz for the budget I have. Or an old MX5 but that isn't so practical..

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Other options I have considered ( I am talking 5-10 year old cars): VW Golf, Mitsubishi Colt, Vauxhall Corsa, Renault Twingo, Peugeot 207, Fiesta, Fiat Panda.

Buying with my heart might be Abarth 500, Mini but not too old as so many have high mileages, and the newer models seem better.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By AliceBanned 20th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Just a quick update - I finally decided and have bought an 06 plate Hyundai Coupe. Love driving it and it actually turns heads.

Lovely design. A good upgrade from the SportKa and let's hope it is a reliable one as there wasn't much service history.

At least I've found the right make and model for me.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Rain Shadow 20th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Just a quick update - I finally decided and have bought an 06 plate Hyundai Coupe. Love driving it and it actually turns heads.

Lovely design. A good upgrade from the SportKa and let's hope it is a reliable one as there wasn't much service history.

At least I've found the right make and model for me.
    Originally posted by AliceBanned

Nice. Which engine is it?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 20th Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    AliceBanned
    Nice. Which engine is it?
    Originally posted by Rain Shadow
    Thanks Rain Shadow. 2L. It took me a few days to get used to. At first I was missing my SportKa and thought I'd made a terrible mistake. But the driving position needed slight alternation and I needed feedback from friends. It was a slight gamble (because so many unknowns about it) and cost me £1300 including £50 for new MOT. Not a lot but I had initial terror of more outlay. My friend said even if say for example the clutch went it is such a good car it would be worth spending on it.
    I might be able to upload a pic. It's silver.
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By Rain Shadow 20th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Thanks Rain Shadow. 2L. It took me a few days to get used to. At first I was missing my SportKa and thought I'd made a terrible mistake. But the driving position needed slight alternation and I needed feedback from friends. It was a slight gamble (because so many unknowns about it) and cost me £1300 including £50 for new MOT. Not a lot but I had initial terror of more outlay. My friend said even if say for example the clutch went it is such a good car it would be worth spending on it.
    I might be able to upload a pic. It's silver.

Sounds good and that is a decent price. I looked at buying one new in 2006, nice car but the dealer's attitude put me off. Finished up buying a Mazda RX-8. Hope you get many good years/miles from it. I have a feeling we won't be seeing you quite as often as we did with the Ka.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • AliceBanned
    • By AliceBanned 20th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2,337 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    AliceBanned

No corrosion showing up at this stage..
    DFW - goal December 2019

• By BeenThroughItAll 20th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

No corrosion showing up at this stage..
    If you intend on keeping the car for a while, make sure if you spot any signs of rust starting, anywhere, address them immediately. These Hyundais do rust like nobody's business - I had one a few years ago for the wife, and when I took the plastic sill covers off I ended up replacing a large section of the rear of the sill itself which was full of holes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,338Posts Today

6,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin