Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • deva
    • By deva 4th Aug 07, 7:56 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    deva
    • 4th Aug 07, 7:56 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 7:56 PM
    Your best bet is to cancel holiday but defer funds to a date in the future then you really wont loose anything- make the most of travelling with a young baby as it is as easy as it gets for a while!

if this doesnt appeal you will rely on your holiday insurance but will probably still stand to loose your deposit.
  • poodledoodledoo
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:01 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:01 PM
    I've not purchased holiday insurance yet as was planning to arrange this myself (didn't fancy the inflated Thomas Cook insurance pricetag!). Will I still be able to claim?

I'm more than happy to bring the holiday forward...do you reckon they might allow me to do this under the circumstances? I don't really think I'd be able to cope with taking the baby abroad as I have 3 very lively sons who are going too!!!

Sorry for the bombardment of questions...it's the first time we've ever gone abroad as a family and their website is patchy to say the least.
  • dmg24
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:28 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:28 PM
    You will not be able to make a claim on insurance purchased now.

I would ask if you could bring the holiday forward, I would hope that they would waive any charges for the change under the circumstances.

By the way ... congratulations! x
  • poodledoodledoo
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:33 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:33 PM
    Thanks

I hope so too!!!

I think I'm going to ring them on Monday and find out where I stand. The worst case scenario is that I lose all of the money but surely that won't happen will it? I'm more than happy to move the holiday so hopefully they will accommodate me.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 4th Aug 07, 8:45 PM
    • 5,510 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:45 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 8:45 PM
    Hopefully they will be accomodating, however 400 is just a drop in the ocean compared to what this baby is going to cost you over the next 18+ years
  • poodledoodledoo
    • 4th Aug 07, 9:47 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 9:47 PM
    Tell me about it...this could be the last holiday I even consider until I'm well into my 50s

• Nenen
    • By Nenen 4th Aug 07, 10:09 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 7,525 Thanks
    Nenen
    • 4th Aug 07, 10:09 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 10:09 PM
    If you booked with Thomas Cook direct (and not through another travel agent) then this web page might answer your questions:
    http://thomascooknew.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/thomascooknew.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=132&p_created=1113383760&p_sid =nA_7FkIi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZw X2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjMmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYX RzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMu c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Q2hhbm dpbmcgdGlja2V0cw**&p_li=&p_topview=1

It looks to me as if you cancel more than 56 days before you go then you lose your deposit but don't have to pay any more.

If you amend your booking then various charges apply (which are very wooly to say the least). It looks to me (and I'm NOT a travel expert) that a rough guide might be 30 to change dates but it's not clear if that is per person or the whole booking! They also have a 30 charge to change each of the following: the hotel, the flight and/or the departure airport so I don't know if they'd add all these together or not (e.g. if you pay to change the date do you also have to pay to change flight)?:confused:
    Sorry I couldn't be more help.... do you have anything written from them that will tell you about cancellation or ammendments?
    A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.
    (Tim Cahill)

• stacey21
    • 4th Aug 07, 10:18 PM
    • 4th Aug 07, 10:18 PM
    If the OP purchased travel insurance today could she not claim as she may not know she is pregnant right now ;-)

i.e she might only find out next week ;-) AFTER she purchased
  • poodledoodledoo
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

No...incredibly there was NOTHING in the documents they sent me regarding cancellation on my part. I couldn't believe it. I thought this type of situation would be commonplace enough for it to be in the terms and conditions.

I'm OK with losing the deposit but would rather change dates if the changing fees are significantly less than the deposit. Of course, I'll also need to take into account that it'll be more expensive to travel between now and December than in February.
  • poodledoodledoo
    If the OP purchased travel insurance today could she not claim as she may not know she is pregnant right now ;-)

Originally posted by stacey21
    Didn't think of that. I'm only literally a couple of weeks and I've not even been to the doctor yet so that might be worth a consideration.
  • stacey21
    I would buy it now then! I'm not too sure but I think the insurance company would take the date you confirmed with a doctor as the date you then knew you had to claim i.e you buy insurance on the 5th but go to the doctor on the 10th. They are hardly going to argue you knew before you bought the insurance? insure and go are really good for cheap insurance
    • deva
    • By deva 4th Aug 07, 10:23 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    deva
    holidays are cheapest in nov/dec if it is possible to travel then do so- where was original booing to? if you have to change the dates only then it will cost you less?
    • Tulip
    • By Tulip 4th Aug 07, 10:24 PM
    • 28,992 Posts
    • 72,969 Thanks
    Tulip
    cant advise you on what to do poodledoodledoo but congratulations on your pregnancy

Katie
  • poodledoodledoo
    holidays are cheapest in nov/dec if it is possible to travel then do so- where was original booing to? if you have to change the dates only then it will cost you less?
    Originally posted by deva
    My original holiday was to Fuerteventura. I think it would be possible for me to travel at the beginning of November so I could do a search on the internet to see if there is much difference in cost. I'm quite happy to stick with the same accommodation.
  • poodledoodledoo
    cant advise you on what to do poodledoodledoo but congratulations on your pregnancy

Katie
    Originally posted by Tulip
    Thanks! Hasn't quite sunk in yet as it (obviously) wasn't planned but hey, I like surprises.

• stacey21
    And btw Congratulations!
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 5th Aug 07, 8:32 AM
    • 5,510 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    budgetflyer

Originally posted by stacey21
    That would be "fraud".
    Not really different from shoplifting, but people seem to view it different. We wouldnt advise poodledoodledoo to go ito Boots and nick all the baby stuff she is going to need, but defrauding an insurance company-who cares eh?

doodledoodledoo, how youre future child turns out,is based on what he or she is taught. Your standards will be their standards. Your manners will be their manners etc. Do the right thing and it will turn out best.
  • poodledoodledoo
    That would be "fraud".
    Not really different from shoplifting, but people seem to view it different. We wouldnt advise poodledoodledoo to go ito Boots and nick all the baby stuff she is going to need, but defrauding an insurance company-who cares eh?

doodledoodledoo, how youre future child turns out,is based on what he or she is taught. Your standards will be their standards. Your manners will be their manners etc. Do the right thing and it will turn out best.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Already have 3 great boys thanks...like to think that I generally do the right thing as far as bringing them up to be fair and honest is concerned.

I'm not planning to cancel the holiday anyway unless I really have to...would rather change the dates but didn't realise until I posted on here that I would be able to as I've never been on holiday abroad with the kids before.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 5th Aug 07, 10:37 AM
    • 13,267 Posts
    • 16,269 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    I don't think travel insurance covers you for pregnancy anyway but as others have said fraud is not condoned on this website.

Congratualtions to the OP, hopefully the travel company will be able to rearrange your holiday without too much extra cost.
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,553Posts Today

6,832Users online

Martin's Twitter