Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > I Need Ideas For Games Stalls For The Primary Sch... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I Need Ideas For Games Stalls For The Primary School Summer Fair......
Closed Thread
Views: 96,440
# 1
WOW Factor 0
DSmiffy
Old 08-05-2005, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default I Need Ideas For Games Stalls For The Primary School Summer Fair......

Hi there, I need some good ideas for games stalls for our summer fair. Preferably something cheap to set up. So far we have:-
A bran tub, Crack the safe - where you have to guess the code that opens the safe to win the money, a game throwing ping pong balls into jars, a treasure map, name the cuddly toy, ..... does anyone out there have any other ideas for our fund raising.
thanks everyone...
Dsmiffy
# 2
MDUK
Old 08-05-2005, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The human fruit machine - very cheap - 3 people with 3 (or more) different (plastic) fruits in a pouch or bag round their waist delve in and pull out a random fruit, if you get 3 the same you win. Have seen this at a couple of school fetes. The best one was when the 3 ladies playing the fruit machine really got into the spirit by rocking around making whirring and chink, chink chink noises as the fruits came out. The noises and their silly faces got big laughs from the children.
# 3
DSmiffy
Old 08-05-2005, 2:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

what a great idea, I suppose the ladies shouldn't be able to see each other either when deciding what fruit to choose. what do you think the prize for a winner should be ??
# 4
Savvy_Sue
Old 08-05-2005, 3:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Human fruit machine is also great fun when it's people who the kids know and can laught at - vicar, headteacher etc. I think they need to be dressed in big boxes suitably decorated, then not only can they not see each other, they can't see what they're choosing.

You don't seem to have sponge throwing, also very popular. Need a basic stocks for victim to sit behind. Penalty Shoot Out, cheap and cheerful.

From my experience what raises the most money is the raffle and the tombola. Tin tombola, bottle tombola, teddy tombola - why people will spend so much money with no guarantee of a prize astonishes me, but it will rake the funds in. And so will this: the JamJar stall! Ask parents and supporters to send in filled jamjars - cotton wool balls, shampoo sachets, pasta, sweets, good as new small toys, stationery etc. Whatever fits. THEN make it a tombola, charge at least 50p but give a prize every time. It will sell out in no time. You can also ask for the jars to be decorated, and give a prize for the best decorated jar in each year group or class.

Cards: spread a deck of cards face up on a table. Put a small sweet on most, with a small bar of chocolate on a few - maybe the picture cards, or the kings and queens. Players pick a card from another pack, and win whatever's on the matching card.

Splat the rat: length of drainpipe attached to sturdy board, rubber mallet, stuffed rat. Drop rat down drainpipe, give prize if rat splatted.

Hoopla. Chucking beanbags at empty tins.

OLYMPIC BALLOON THROWING! This is hysterical but doesn't raise a huge amount. Fill lots of balloons with water (that's the tricky bit!) People enter in pairs, adult or children (decide on age in advance! For a primary school I'd set it at 11 - ie if they're at 'big school' they're an adult) The 'course' is set up with markers at metre intervals (borrow from PE equipment). The people stand a metre apart, one throws to the other and back without dropping it or the balloon bursting. If successful they move two metres apart. And so on. Charge 50p or 1 per team to enter, have a decent prize for the winners in each group. (You can do this with eggs but you can bet your life eggs will be thrown all over the place at the end of the day and it won't be fun at that point. Plus salmonella risks etc). Best to do this with really cheap thin balloons, not big ones.

Have you looked at Baker Ross and Peeks catalogues? I think they used to offer advice on how to organise such events, down to layout etc. Useful stuff even if you don't buy their games and prizes.

If I think of any others I'll come back ...
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 5
Queenie
Old 08-05-2005, 5:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Lucky straws - a box with some sand in. lots of straws cut down into 3's. some coloured paper strips. Roll up the strips of paper (you don't need many) and tuck them up the end of a straw. (I say paper because it stops cheating!) Leave some straws completely empty. Stick them all in the tray/box of sand and punters pay to pick a lucky straw. The lucky ones are the coloured one's. You can vary the prizes per colour or simply have a huge bag of lollipops and stick to only the one colour (simpler!) so that every prize is a lollipop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# 6
squeaky
Old 08-05-2005, 5:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

There are a number of party ideas to browse in This Thread

HTH
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50

Last edited by squeaky; 08-05-2005 at 5:51 PM.
# 7
Murtle
Old 08-05-2005, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie
Lucky straws - a box with some sand in. lots of straws cut down into 3's. some coloured paper strips. Roll up the strips of paper (you don't need many) and tuck them up the end of a straw. (I say paper because it stops cheating!) Leave some straws completely empty. Stick them all in the tray/box of sand and punters pay to pick a lucky straw. The lucky ones are the coloured one's. You can vary the prizes per colour or simply have a huge bag of lollipops and stick to only the one colour (simpler!) so that every prize is a lollipop.
exactly the same idea that I was going to suggest....

can't think of anything else right now!!!!

Edited to add : the ha'penny roll....it was a board marked out as a grid. In each box on the grid was a number (this was the money you'd win).

There were blocks of wood, cut so that you could roll a ha'penny down onto the board. If the coin landed totally in a box, then you won that amount. This probably makes no sense to anyone but me....but I used to love rolling my coin....and winning the small amounts on offer!!! I guess the limits will change for now!!

On the tombola, we always used to have x number of general prizes, and then some alcohol to attract the adults...if won by a kiddie, they could either get Mum/Dad/responsible adult or choose from a small selection of kiddies toys held back. If you have a lot of prizes, don't put out ALL the good ones in one go, keep them back and keep replenishing the prizes through the day!
Hurrah I can finally change my signature!

13 in 2013 challenge completed 0/13

Last edited by Murtle; 08-05-2005 at 5:50 PM.
# 8
Poppy9
Old 08-05-2005, 6:03 PM

We are a small school and with our raffle and summer & Christmas fete manage to raise about 5k
  • Cream tea stall for the grandparents. raises 100
  • Beer tent raises 100
  • BBQ. Try and get a local bakers to donate some buns and then buy some burgers and sausages. Sell for 1 each. We raise about 300 from this alone.
  • Other stalls we have:
  • Tombola - general brings in about 200
  • Tombola - bottle brings in about 300
  • Ping pong balls & jam jar. We just put 5 in small jar. raises about 40
  • Goldfish tank with laminated picture - you have to throw a coin onto a certain part of the picture. Make it small and you can win 5 raises 40
  • We hire a big attraction i.e. surfing machine or bucking broncho. Costs about 300 and you just break even but it brings in the kids with their family.
  • Hook a duck for little ones raises 40
  • Lollypop lotto. Like lucky straws only with lollipop which they keep what ever raises 30
  • Football Tombola - bought from Baker Ross raises 60
  • Wheelbarrow races free
  • Tug of War free
  • Get a police car of fire engine to visit free
  • Sweet stall raises 50
  • Lucky dip parents have to donate a prize value at least 1 and wrapped. raises about 150
  • Guess the teacher from baby photos raises about 50
The food and drink is where the money is so it needs to have fun things for kids to do to keep them there all afternoon. Also consider buying decent raffle prizes i.e TV/DVD, Digital Camera, MP3 player, 100. Much easier to sell tickets if quality prizes. We easily sell over 1k worth of tickets. Not bad considering less than 200 kids in school.

Find out which parents have business contacts. We get icecream for free which we sell in interval in parents panto (another fund raiser which brings in 1k), cream cakes from a baker, burgers from a butcher. Meal for 2 from a resturant owner.
~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
# 9
Queenie
Old 08-05-2005, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtle
exactly the same idea that I was going to suggest....
Aha! Something else, other than a sense of humour, we are alike in LOL

What's that old saying? "Great minds think alike" - you have a GREAT mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Poppy9
Old 08-05-2005, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie
What's that old saying? "Great minds think alike"
And fools seldom differ
The Following User Says Thank You to Poppy9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Queenie
Old 08-05-2005, 9:27 PM

I was waiting to see who would be first
# 12
Murtle
Old 09-05-2005, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy9
And fools seldom differ

at least there is room for hope there.....

Queenie, you're not my Mum are you....???!!!??!!! :confused:
Hurrah I can finally change my signature!

13 in 2013 challenge completed 0/13
# 13
rehabrebel
Old 09-05-2005, 9:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I once did a lucky inflatable pool.
Fill pool with cold water and lots of cans (cheaper the better) more profit.

Ask people to throw a coin.If coin lands in lid area-win that can
If lose-collect donations when emptying pool.Maybe consolation lollipop.

In hot weather works a treat.
# 14
pandas66
Old 09-05-2005, 9:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to pandas66 Send a message via Yahoo to pandas66
Smile

Hi
What about 'splat the rat'
Take 1 long tube (drainpipe), a rat (make sure it fits down the tube) and a hammer, large tube of 1p chews
20p a go drop rat down tube try to splatter. Win a chew if you hit it.
More fun if it has a certain Head teachers face on it (!)
Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
# 15
Trollydolly
Old 09-05-2005, 11:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

LEGO in Wrexham used to let our school borrow one of those huge LEGO people and we used to do guess how many Lego pieces were in it (Lego write it in an envelope for you!) prize for the person with the nearest guess. Wrexhams only about 40 mins from St Helens so u could try them.

Two of the girls at my primary school had pony's there mums used to do rides round the playground for 50p (dont know how that would work insurance wise these days)

Brik a Brac Stall

Get a paddling pool with water, cut out fish using polystyrene or something that floats, clip paper clips to the top and make rods with magnets on the end. Could do the same with rubber ducks.

I used to love the lucky dip! Bin for girls and bin for boys filled with poly pieces and prezzys!. Things like pencils, rubbers, mini chocolate bars, hair bobbles, whistles, cheap little bits wrapped up, charge 20p a go or whatever, but more than the stuffs worth!

Cant think of anymore oooh i want to go to one!!
# 16
Al Mac
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hog roast goes down well, especially up wind of the the bar tent
Competitions - See it, search it, post it, simples

Cheeky Chicken the complete package

Al "Purple" Mac
# 17
firespire
Old 10-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy9
  • Beer tent raises 100
Make sure you understand the licensing law on this one. If you don't have a licence to sell many use the "free drink when you buy a this raffle ticket" rule.
# 18
culpepper
Old 10-05-2005, 8:34 AM

decorating biscuits with squeezy icing and cake decorations.
Fingernail decoration
Face paints
# 19
Poppy9
Old 10-05-2005, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firespire
Make sure you understand the licensing law on this one. If you don't have a licence to sell many use the "free drink when you buy a this raffle ticket" rule.
Yes we have a licence. A parent who already has a licence applies for an extension to cover our fete.
# 20
jockettuk
Old 10-05-2005, 9:09 AM

hair braiding.. some of our mums are hairdressers....

mabey for the future you can take a walk around local fayres/fetes and get ideas from them...
Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear
Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
Are thinking of you today.
Closed Thread