Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 5,830Posts
    • 30,379Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 171
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 27th Nov 17, 11:20 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 2,259 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    I am pleased you have made a decision Alex
    Now time to move on.
    Please will you look at the progress you made before September and try to get back to that
    No alcohol and Getting to bed at a reasonable time as well as the meditation you were doing.
    That Alex was a much happier person amd I would like you to get back to that as you were much more able to cope with what life threw at you.
    So no more posting around midnight (even to this post !!)
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 28th Nov 17, 6:49 AM
    • 5,905 Posts
    • 40,665 Thanks
    newgirly
    At least you tried Alex, you can't ever regret giving things a go. Hopefully making the descision to leave will help get you back on an even keel, you have lots to look forward to.
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 29th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 5,167 Thanks
    -taff
    I'm sorry but I still find this offensive.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    You know what happens when you find something offensive? Absolutely nothing.

You can be offended at someone else's personal experience as you like, so can I. Anyone can. It won't change anything though and getting on your horse about it achieves nothing at all.

They are speaking from their point of you, you from yours, obviously neither of you is going to change your minds about it, so why not just let it go otherwise this great thread is going to have a derailment.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 29th Nov 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    You know what happens when you find something offensive? Absolutely nothing.

You can be offended at someone else's personal experience as you like, so can I. Anyone can. It won't change anything though and getting on your horse about it achieves nothing at all.

They are speaking from their point of you, you from yours, obviously neither of you is going to change your minds about it, so why not just let it go otherwise this great thread is going to have a derailment.
    Originally posted by -taff
    You know what can happen when somebody lets you know that they found something you said offensive? You can think about it, and ask why that might have been, and whether you did in fact say something out of turn or that was an unfair generalisation or stereotype. You can then refrain from saying similar things again in the future so as to avoid upsetting others or causing hurt feelings which (I feel) is a very worthwhile aim.

Please don't accuse me of derailing the thread, if you wanted to avoid that you would have PM'd me wouldn't you?

Alex, I hope you're feeling better now that you've made your decision.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Nov 17, 4:47 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Want to get things back on track. Not had a great week so far and shouldn't have tried to pretend everything was alright. I wasn't alright but hoped this time around I could just ignore what was going on in my mind like everyone else can. Went to my GP today and have a follow up appointment. Need to stop being ashamed of it and just deal with it.

I'm looking forward to getting more involved in property. Not really something I ever considered as a profession but it seemed to be waiting for me and I'm really looking forward to my new job. Lots to learn and be involved in but a much more relaxed atmosphere than the school.

Financially this month has been a disaster. I've been buying things I don't need and the mortgage was paid from savings. Not good. My wife doesn't know yet but I think I need to tell her.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 30th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm really pleased you've gone to the GP Alex, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 30th Nov 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Need to stop being ashamed of it and just deal with it.

Please, please Alex keep saying this to yourself.

I am so happy that you have been to visit your GP and please remember to go to your follow up appointment. Take on board any help and advice given.

I do hope you are able to share with your wife your financial situation and that you both can work through this hick up. Remember only a few months ago your finances were working well and I know that you both will be able to get back on track.

Have you managed to get the elf ready for action?

I am sure your son will be getting excited for Christmas.

Please take care and enjoy working hard on your new project.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 30th Nov 17, 10:07 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 5,167 Thanks
    -taff
    You know what can happen when somebody lets you know that they found something you said offensive? You can think about it, and ask why that might have been, and whether you did in fact say something out of turn or that was an unfair generalisation or stereotype. You can then refrain from saying similar things again in the future so as to avoid upsetting others or causing hurt feelings which (I feel) is a very worthwhile aim.

Please don't accuse me of derailing the thread, if you wanted to avoid that you would have PM'd me wouldn't you? .
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I apologise for accusing you of almost derailing the thread.
    I've only PM'd three people, and only then to exchange information, not to continue arguments.
    Personaly, I wouldn't think about it because I believe that too many people are special little snowflakes who just love to see the offence where there is none, or make mountains out of molehills.

Pleased you recognised you were in need of a bit of help Alex, it's not a failure to ask for some
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Nov 17, 11:59 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    AlexLK
    So, I'm posting late again... Realise I need to respond to everyone and will try to tomorrow but it is getting a little late tonight and I'm heading to bed soon.

Told my wife about the finances. She said we'll get back on track and at least we haven't got into debt and or got my parents involved. Things are different between us. She would have never trusted me enough to pass my details to a person she knows through work last year and if I'd admitted messing up over something she'd try to hurt me in some way or another. Yesterday she said she's proud of me for recognising the teaching wasn't working and acting accordingly. I was expecting her to berate me for not carrying on with it. In a strange way what happened last year / start of this has been the best thing to happen to our marriage even though at the time I thought it was over.

Think I need to make my own advent calendar...so here's the first three days:
    1st Christmas Decs up whilst son is at school tomorrow. I'll tell him the elf did it.
    2nd Find out what my son wants for Christmas. Going to try to get the Christmas shopping done a little earlier this year.
    3rd Record keeping, set up for the month
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 1st Dec 17, 12:29 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    kelpie35
    So, I'm posting late again... Realise I need to respond to everyone and will try to tomorrow but it is getting a little late tonight and I'm heading to bed soon.

Told my wife about the finances. She said we'll get back on track and at least we haven't got into debt and or got my parents involved. Things are different between us. She would have never trusted me enough to pass my details to a person she knows through work last year and if I'd admitted messing up over something she'd try to hurt me in some way or another. Yesterday she said she's proud of me for recognising the teaching wasn't working and acting accordingly. I was expecting her to berate me for not carrying on with it. In a strange way what happened last year / start of this has been the best thing to happen to our marriage even though at the time I thought it was over.

Think I need to make my own advent calendar...so here's the first three days:
    1st Christmas Decs up whilst son is at school tomorrow. I'll tell him the elf did it.
    2nd Find out what my son wants for Christmas. Going to try to get the Christmas shopping done a little earlier this year.
    3rd Record keeping, set up for the month
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Well done on all you have achieved today

I am so so happy that things are working so well for you as a couple. Please keep up the good work because you know honesty is the best policy.

I do hope your son loves the effort you have gone to to make it an enjoyable time of year.

Take care.
    Last edited by kelpie35; 01-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 1st Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Alex I must confess that I have not read your diary from beginning to end, but sincerely appreciate your openess and honesty. Am pleased you are making progress. Being in education myself I know all too well how it can take it's toll on us and those around us.

Good to see you are planning. Be kind to yourself.

Best wishes -J- x
    Control freak taking back the reins MF and DF Wannabe
    M '09 = £103k M Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Original End Date = Apr '34
    CC = £2900 £1550
    Loan = £7000 £5760
    Onwards and upwards
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 2nd Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thanks all.

Got the Christmas decorations up whilst my son was at school. He was more pleased to see the elf (who he thinks did it whilst I was "out" during the day). He asked about the elf prior to yesterday and I told him I wasn't sure whether I'd let him in this year.

Had to clarify some of the things my son wanted for Christmas. I think he'd heard about some from school without really knowing what he was asking for (one was a computer game and we don't have a player ). There was that and a couple of others (a trombone, iPad ) I've told him are out of the question. Rather glad we don't tell him Father Christmas buys all his gifts. My parents are setting up a model railway for him, quite glad it's keeping them busy and I know my son will really like that.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 2nd Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    kelpie35
    I am so pleased your son appreciates all the effort you went to make it so lovely and exciting for him .

The longer you can have him believing in all the wonderment the better, because when they don't get excited anymore it does not feel the same.

Hope you are having a relaxing weekend.

Take care.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 3rd Dec 17, 3:24 AM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 5,167 Thanks
    -taff
    You don't have to respond to every post made you know, it's not school

Yesterday she said she's proud of me for recognising the teaching wasn't working and acting accordingly. I was expecting her to berate me for not carrying on with it. In a strange way what happened last year / start of this has been the best thing to happen to our marriage even though at the time I thought it was over. .
    Adversity can result in stronger foundations I'd imagine also that you [both] didn't have to go to your parents for help, so that was a plus point in that that pointed towards your independence and non-reliance on them.

Happy future advent.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 3rd Dec 17, 3:57 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    badmemory
    Certainly no need to respond to me Alex. I only wanted to show that you aren't the only person that teaching could "damage" & that you stopping was to miniK's benefit, which you were beginning to see yourself. Good luck with your new ventures. Are you planning on continuing your music lessons?
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 3rd Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 20,085 Thanks
    Watty1
    So glad the elf popped in and put up the decorations. That was so helpful of elf ....
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £27152
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Well, this week has flown by quickly and has confirmed I made the right decision (got to happen at some point in my life ). Not bought too much this week and have scheduled a date with Mrs. K. to get some Christmas gifts for our son. More organised than usual this year. Have been thinking a lot about what happened last year which isn't helpful.

Advent targets went awry; completed the ones from last week but never made any others.

Not doing so well on the moneysaving front, hope to start afresh with this in 2018 though.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 10th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    kelpie35
    So pleased to hear you are doing well on the health front.

You sound so "upbeat" and that is lovely to hear.

Sometimes we need to take a step back on the financial front and make plans for the future.

Looking forward to hearing your goals for next year and I will be here to cheer you on.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Dec 17, 7:12 PM
    • 5,905 Posts
    • 40,665 Thanks
    newgirly
    Glad things are ok for you Alex, here's to great new plans fo next year
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thank you NG and kelpie.

I'm doing OK and going to bed at a reasonable time, so think I should try to find time in the morning to catch up on here as I would like to keep the diary going (or may start a new one) and catch up with others too. Managed to have an AF week which has helped.

Really pleased to have secured the job I have and a lot on the work front to look forward to in the coming year (my business and employed work). So far as the monthly income is concerned, that's looking much better than in a very long time. However, I don't want us to waste that opportunity.

Advent targets:
    Monday 11th - sort diary to new year.
    Tuesday 12th - take my father out to lunch (I'm taking him for a hospital appointment in the morning).
    Wednesday 13th - set up January records for finances.
    Thursday 14th - Loose ends tied up ready for a three day weekend and work to do list ready for Monday.
    Friday 15th - day out with Mrs K and a long weekend as we are not working. Hardly ever spend any time together as a couple. Really looking forward to it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter