Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 5,772Posts
    • 29,935Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Money saved 2017: £3330. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 163
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 29th Aug 17, 10:08 PM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Good start Alex. Make sure you give yourself the best chance of sleeping (I'm about to stop with electronic things this evening, so I can go straight to sleep when I go to bed)
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Thanks, SL.

Computer will be off at 10.30 when I go to bed. Reading until 11 but then lights out and meditation on. Mrs. K. falls to sleep after about 5 minutes of the guided meditation.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Aug 17, 7:48 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Hope forcing myself into the morning routine will carrry on. Woke up 25 minutes before the alarm this morning and have worked on a piece of music as well as prepping and putting an item I want to sell up for sale.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Aug 17, 4:50 PM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,519 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I am quite aware mothers are more often than not the one to give up work and provide childcare. It is also accepted, whilst my situation isn't and I'm aware of the type of ridicule directed at me whilst others think I'm not listening. I miss my son terribly when he's at school, that too is acceptable for a mother but not for a father. When a mother is the main earner, she gets a pat on the back, a well done and congratulations for showing others it can be done When a mother stays at home, she is congratulated, told it's her choice to make (because no one else can have a say, of course) and is welcomed into a community. A decision is made for a father to be the main caregiver and he's a waste of space loser who is punching far above his weight. Doesn't matter that it was the right choice for a couple to make because, of course, society can't admit that fathers are fit to care for their children and see them thrive.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    My brother was a SAHD 25-30 years ago, in the grittier parts of Birkenhead, and that kind of sh** really wasn't an issue

I don't know what your experiences are Alex but as a sahm for many years I was constantly asked why I didn't work and when I was going back to work, I really don't think it's just sahd's.

I also had (female ) friends who went back full time and shock horror - put their kids into nursery that was even more frowned upon. Every family is different, you basically can't win so s*d what anyone else thinks
    Originally posted by newgirly
    What she said

One trick is to bore people like into shutting up. Oh really? Fancy that. Whaddaya know. Thats unusual. Gosh. I'll think about that (and then ignore it, but you don't say that bit ). Arguing with people who babble on about stereotypes doesn't really work, because they're not bothering to *think*. Happens everywhere ...

Good luck with your new start!

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 30th Aug 17, 5:54 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 25,995 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Captain Awkward has a great list of these phrases. "Wow" is another good one.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 30th Aug 17, 7:39 PM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,519 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Captain Awkward has a great list of these phrases. "Wow" is another good one.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister

I just may be pottering happily through an early part of the archive as I type.
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 30th Aug 17, 11:59 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 25,995 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    LOL I used it on my mother when she said something sooo outrageously bad about the NHS.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 31st Aug 17, 6:26 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 16,870 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    One year anniversary for you since retiring this month. As someone galloping inexorably towards the starting gate I wondered if you had any reflections you wouldn't mind sharing?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 31st Aug 17, 9:14 AM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,519 Thanks
    Karmacat
    One year anniversary for you since retiring this month. As someone galloping inexorably towards the starting gate I wondered if you had any reflections you wouldn't mind sharing?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Ooh, me? That's "wow" in a good sense! It must be me, I hope I'm not being narcissistic in typing that

I think the thing that's struck me in this first year is what John Lennon published on his last LP, Double Fantasy, a few months before he was murdered: "life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans".

And I think I'm going to do bullet points on my own diary, after that statement to avoid hijacking, and just in case its not me after all!
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 31st Aug 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 16,870 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Sorry yes, should have been more specific - and should have been at your place KC! - Is that my first senior moment I ask myself - (fortunately I haven't got to the stage where I answer me too

Sorry to hijack
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8112.39 saved (73.74%) after August - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 61.61/66.66% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 4th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    Hope everything is going well Alex and you are all getting used to new routines.
    I am assuming you are completing your paper diary, but don't forget to keep popping on here and keeping us up to date as well.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Sep 17, 4:25 PM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 99,470 Thanks
    maman
    I'm sure you're busy Alex but do try to find time to let us know how it's going.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 9th Sep 17, 11:02 PM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Not been on here for a while. Not been doing much for a while other than trying to get through the days. Things haven't been good, to be honest. Hanging on with the course and coping but it is not what I thought it would be. No further with decluttering / selling things off.

In other news, I'm busy with the property side of things with a potential big deal which will be quite exciting if it does happen.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 9th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Start as I mean to go on with ... Organise end of month treat ... Not even thought about this but I think I need something to look forward to.

Overpayment: Make one even if it is only £50. Should manage this.
    Food budget: £120 / £400.
    Meat free days: 2 / 10.
    No work weekends: 1 / 3.
    15 minutes piano practise each morning: 12 / 33.
    At least 10,000 steps per day: 14,000 today.
    10 minutes exercise (not inc. walking): 2 / 34. Haven't been counting but this has probably happened only 2 more times.

A/F school nights: 2. Not really happened.

but most importantly ... Get through the month!
    Last edited by AlexLK; 17-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 9th Sep 17, 11:29 PM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Not been on here for a while. Not been doing much for a while other than trying to get through the days. Things haven't been good, to be honest. Hanging on with the course and coping but it is not what I thought it would be. No further with decluttering / selling things off.

In other news, I'm busy with the property side of things with a potential big deal which will be quite exciting if it does happen.
    So pleased to hear from you Alex.

Hope the course improves for you, all new things have their teething points.

I am excited to hear about your property news.

Keep plodding on and you will achieve your goals.

Take care
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 25,995 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Which bits of the course weren't what you expected?

Are you staying off the booze?
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    AlexLK
    So pleased to hear from you Alex.

Hope the course improves for you, all new things have their teething points.

I am excited to hear about your property news.

Keep plodding on and you will achieve your goals.

Take care
    Originally posted by kelpie35
    Thanks, Kelpie.

That's what I'm hoping this is. Always enjoyed my time in schools when I've worked / volunteered in the past, so hoping this will pass and I will enjoy it soon.

Don't really want to say much on the property front until something actually happens, other than to say this house hasn't gone on the market and it's a business transaction.

I hope I will get there one day.

Which bits of the course weren't what you expected?

Are you staying off the booze?
    No, smallholding, I'm not. However, think I need to stay off it. Only been sharing a bottle of wine over dinner with Mrs. K. but sat down to do the weekly totals and we're spending far too much on wine.

Everything is not what I expected nor congruent in any way with my previous experiences. It all seems incredibly tedious, without any room for creativity and patronising to the extreme. In my previous experiences staff have made me feel welcome, allowed me to have some freedom to deliver part of a child's education whilst developing my knowledge in a non patronising way. Unfortunately, it seems the only person in this school with any autonomy is the Head.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 25,995 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Real life in teaching. Is all your training at one school? Have you peers to compare experiences with?
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 16,651 Posts
    • 99,470 Thanks
    maman
    Hanging on with the course and coping but it is not what I thought it would be.
    Thanks, Kelpie.

That's what I'm hoping this is. Always enjoyed my time in schools when I've worked / volunteered in the past, so hoping this will pass and I will enjoy it soon.

Everything is not what I expected nor congruent in any way with my previous experiences. It all seems incredibly tedious, without any room for creativity and patronising to the extreme. In my previous experiences staff have made me feel welcome, allowed me to have some freedom to deliver part of a child's education whilst developing my knowledge in a non patronising way. Unfortunately, it seems the only person in this school with any autonomy is the Head.
    From personal research and your volunteering you probably have more curriculum knowledge than the average student starting on a teaching course Alex. The school has an obligation to ensure that you meet all the Teaching Standards so they'll have to take you through them however patronising that may seem. I'd rather you felt patronised than just thrown in at the deep end with a lack of support.

I doubt even the Head has a great deal of autonomy when it comes to the curriculum. So there are few choices to be made when it comes to what you teach but there is a creativity when it comes to how you teach, the activities you use etc. I suspect at the moment they assume it's easier for you to work within the school's plans and build gradually. The NQT programme is designed to ease off the level of support as the year proceeds but you can always ask if you want to try something sooner. I always felt that there was too much time given over to 'observation' in the early stages. You'll learn most when taking responsibility for the whole class, finding out what you find most difficult and then observing experienced staff to see how they deal with those things.

However, think I need to stay off it. Only been sharing a bottle of wine over dinner with Mrs. K. but sat down to do the weekly totals and we're spending far too much on wine..

You're always welcome over on the other thread Alex if it helps.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 29,935 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Real life in teaching. Is all your training at one school? Have you peers to compare experiences with?
    No, I realise the other school may be very different.

I know a couple of teachers but none in primary and most work in the independent sector. I didn't really get on with staff at the schools I volunteered at but was able to maintain a professional relationship, so that isn't something which concerns me if I get a job as a teacher.

From personal research and your volunteering you probably have more curriculum knowledge than the average student starting on a teaching course Alex. The school has an obligation to ensure that you meet all the Teaching Standards so they'll have to take you through them however patronising that may seem. I'd rather you felt patronised than just thrown in at the deep end with a lack of support.

I doubt even the Head has a great deal of autonomy when it comes to the curriculum. So there are few choices to be made when it comes to what you teach but there is a creativity when it comes to how you teach, the activities you use etc. I suspect at the moment they assume it's easier for you to work within the school's plans and build gradually. The NQT programme is designed to ease off the level of support as the year proceeds but you can always ask if you want to try something sooner. I always felt that there was too much time given over to 'observation' in the early stages. You'll learn most when taking responsibility for the whole class, finding out what you find most difficult and then observing experienced staff to see how they deal with those things.

You're always welcome over on the other thread Alex if it helps.
    Originally posted by maman
    Yes, I've been introduced to the teaching standards. I knew about them before and have no problem working towards them. However, I don't feel I'm being supported in working towards those at the moment.

Unfortunately, I'm really struggling to connect with the fundamental ethos of the school, the staff within it (on a personal or professional level) and the ways of doing things. I can say I would not take a job at the school because it's not the environment for me. However, in a different environment with different management, maybe it would be fine. Legally, I am not an employee now but whilst there's no renumeration, we are treated as employees. Can't say I like the idea of effectively giving us all the pitfalls with none of the benefits. Not to mention I feel the powers that be are effectively trying to send us on a guilt trip over how much work we put in. I've made the decision I put in what I can but not to the detriment of my family or my own wellbeing as I'm not going to be going down that path again.

I think I may join you on the other thread this evening.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 4,374 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Legally, I am not an employee now but whilst there's no renumeration, we are treated as employees. Can't say I like the idea of effectively giving us all the pitfalls with none of the benefits.
    This is the case with a lot of vocational/professional qualifications.

I spent 3 years unpaid on hospital wards in order to qualify as a nurse, and it wasn't all learning time, a lot of it was just as extra labour. These days student nurses (and physios and paramedics and others) have to take on 27k of debt for the privilege!

What you get out of it is that you get some experience behind you (and not all experience has to be wholly positive to be valuable, sometimes seeing things done in a way you don't want to emulate is just as beneficial as being inspired) and at the end you get the piece of paper that enables you to do the job you love, in the way that you want to do it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin