Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 5,693Posts
    • 29,355Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Money saved 2017: £3330. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 153
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 9th Jun 17, 1:39 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    badmemory
    Firstly, you are going to be a fantastic teacher. Any error in the choice of you is most definitely not your responsibility. (WE all know that there was no error).

I know you don't want to hear this but is it possible that your father is showing early signs of dementia. I hope not for all your sakes. Dementia is a thief. It steals the person you know & I'll leave the rest for another day.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 9th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 29,355 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Not really sure how I've reached the 9th June without any targets for the month but I will have a think over this evening and make some targets for the remaining 20 days.

Managed to get a little more sleep last night and things seem a little brighter today, despite not being very well (caught some kind of cold type virus) and my mother trying to cause trouble. No anxiety / panic today, so that's a step in the right direction.

Thanks Good to see you posting Alex . I wasn't overly worried that we hadn't heard from you as l assumed you'd been busy having a good half term and then plunged back into everyday life.

First, what you've said about your mother sounds like illogical nonsense. So, unless I'm reading this wrongly, she's saying you should hide the fact that you're making a great job of bringing up LittleK because it's highlighting their shortcomings. I have a little sympathety because attitudes to parenting have changed a bit over the years but to blame you for doing a great job now is ridiculous.

As far as your various placements: I'd think that your voluntary roles are concerned they'd be pleased that their loss would be the profession's longer term gain. Please try to stop worrying about how you'll get on with teacher training. There's always an element of 'suck it and see' but now it seems that huge numbers try teaching and then decide it's not for them. There is a massive shortfall in recruitment so don't worry about taking anyone's place.

Relax!
    Originally posted by maman
    We had a lovely half term, thank you. Sleep problems started then and I'm not sure why and I think that's the main cause of this week's blip.

My mother is blaming me because father is upset about the past. According to mother, it's my fault father is upset because if I had the same attitudes / priorities as they did he wouldn't be upset. She is quite angry at the moment and trying to cause a lot of trouble (said something very nasty to my wife yesterday and told me I've failed my son for my decision to send him to our local village school).

Both voluntary roles have been wonderful about me leaving (they knew it was coming as the primary one knew I was there to gain some experience ready for September and the other provided a reference). The primary one seems to think I'm well prepared and have "nothing to worry about", so I hope they are right.

I suppose sometimes I think it is perhaps unfair for me to apply for jobs when there are likely candidates that need the job more than I do. However, if I still feel the same way about teaching in 6 months time as I do now, I would really like to have a teaching job.

Sorry to hear you are struggling a bit just now Alex.

I have every faith in you that you will do exceptionally well as a teacher.

You have the qualities of person that the education system needs. Kind, trustworthy and honest.

I am sorry to hear your mother is giving you a hard time. My interpretation of the situation, and I might be well off the mark, is that your parents are very jealous of the relationship you have with your son. You and your wife are bring him up to be a son that you are both proud of and are encouraging him to be a "well rounded" boy with so many interests.

Please try not to allow their remarks to upset you, I know that is easier said than done. With the support of your wife and son you will get through this hurdle.

As for the debt I have every faith that it will be cleared before the 0% runs out. Just watch the figures reducing on your spreadsheets lol
    Originally posted by kelpie35
    Thank you, kelpie.

I do hope things work out with teaching as it would be nice to have a career to focus on.

My mother is causing a lot of trouble at the moment and I do wonder if that's why things are difficult. Things aren't all bad, though. I think I've made the right decision to stay with my wife and she has really turned a corner.

I have a spreadsheet for the debt and have transferred a couple of £50 payments across just to see it going down.

Firstly, you are going to be a fantastic teacher. Any error in the choice of you is most definitely not your responsibility. (WE all know that there was no error).

I know you don't want to hear this but is it possible that your father is showing early signs of dementia. I hope not for all your sakes. Dementia is a thief. It steals the person you know & I'll leave the rest for another day.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Thank you, badmemory.

We are concerned about my father's memory and the potential of dementia. However, he's under the care of the medical profession and they are not as concerned. My mother is convinced otherwise and tests his mental arithmetic, verbal reasoning and short term memory on a daily basis. She spends time devising these tests and recording results including how many seconds to answer everyday. Father has told me he finds it stressful and doesn't think he needs to be tested on whether he can quickly recall 16x13 etc. quickly but my mother has convinced herself that she needs to do this everyday (last year she even did this on Christmas Day).
    • Madmel
    • By Madmel 9th Jun 17, 5:54 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Madmel
    Alex, I'm sorry your parents are giving you a hard time, I agree with everyone else though; you are parenting your son your way and I think they are jealous of the warm and loving relationship between you and LittleK as it highlights the fact that it isn't there a generation back.

Do NOT beat yourself up or walk away from your course. It will be tough and you will meet some awful kids. However, schools are crying out for decent teachers. You would not be denying anyone a job - schools cannot get people to fill them.

I'm not sure whether or not I have suggested this before (apologies if I am repeating myself but it's the end of a long week). Get yourself onto the TES forums (under Community on the main website). There is one called Thinking about Teaching and another for student teachers. Then have a browse of the jobs. I think you'll be amazing, if you want to come to visit a different secondary music department, please PM me.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 16,225 Posts
    • 96,880 Thanks
    maman
    I wouldn't worry about taking a job from someone else Alex , I don't think there'll be a queue! I was horrified to notice today that an entry level Assistant Manager at Lidl earns more for a starting salary than a teacher!

Incidentally your father doesn't need to learn his tables above x10. 10x16=160, 3x16=48 Total =208 Simple!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 9th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Alex, a friend of mine is leaving to teach abroad in September, so you can cancel that out and not worry about taking up the place anymore.

Sorry to hear about your parents, it sounds like they have a lot of anxiety and issues but whereas you recognised this in yourself and have made fantastic leaps in your confidence and mental wellbeing as a result, they are almost clinging to it.

If you need to take time away from the, don't feel bad. It must be draining and you can't solve their problems for them unless you acquire a magic wand from somewhere.

Glad you had a good half term, next hols is the lovely long six weeks, I bet you're looking forward to it?
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Jun 17, 12:07 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 29,355 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Alex, I'm sorry your parents are giving you a hard time, I agree with everyone else though; you are parenting your son your way and I think they are jealous of the warm and loving relationship between you and LittleK as it highlights the fact that it isn't there a generation back.

Do NOT beat yourself up or walk away from your course. It will be tough and you will meet some awful kids. However, schools are crying out for decent teachers. You would not be denying anyone a job - schools cannot get people to fill them.

I'm not sure whether or not I have suggested this before (apologies if I am repeating myself but it's the end of a long week). Get yourself onto the TES forums (under Community on the main website). There is one called Thinking about Teaching and another for student teachers. Then have a browse of the jobs. I think you'll be amazing, if you want to come to visit a different secondary music department, please PM me.
    Originally posted by Madmel
    Thanks, madmel.

My father is upset with himself. This has been an ongoing thing that seems to reoccur every once in a while; he'll tell me he regrets parenting decisions he made but then (at a later date) behave in the manner he has told me he regrets. Tonight I went there because he called saying he wanted to speak to me. He wanted to talk about the period leading to the mental breakdown I had in my late twenties. We were practically estranged for a couple of years before then but father now tells me he apparently wishes I could have spoken to him and it could have all been "prevented". The fact he wants to talk about this is difficult, to be honest.

I've met plenty of "awful kids" already, so quite prepared for that. I know there's a lot of children without guidance, discipline or respect for others. However, there are also a lot of good and motivated ones out there too. I will not be giving up due to the children involved. I would like to have a career in teaching, all being well.

Had a look for jobs the other week, there did seem quite a few fairly locally and I am on TES but not registered and don't post. Thank you for your kind offer, I have a lot happening this half term, so not really sure of my schedule yet.

I wouldn't worry about taking a job from someone else Alex , I don't think there'll be a queue! I was horrified to notice today that an entry level Assistant Manager at Lidl earns more for a starting salary than a teacher!

Incidentally your father doesn't need to learn his tables above x10. 10x16=160, 3x16=48 Total =208 Simple!
    I thought primary to be more competitive in the jobs market than secondary? I know there are more jobs but thought there were many more candidates and there wasn't a recruitment crisis in the primary sector (government teaching bursaries for secondary Maths / Science subjects = £25,000-£30,000, whereas for primary it's £3,000 for trainees with a First).

Re. the Lidl vs. teaching salaries. That must be due to the pay freeze in teaching. To be honest, I think I've said on here before that I do not think the salaries for classroom teachers reflect the responsibility of the job.

Funny you should mention multiplying numbers larger than 10, I have been (re)learning a lot of these methods in preparation for September. My father has always been good at arithmetic. He finds the constant pressure is causing him stress; mother collates the results once per week and becomes obsessive about the state of his mind if she notices anything of a slight negative correlation as well as being convinced that the tests will prevent things getting worse. I think it's her way of coping with them getting older and gives her something to do. On an unrelated note, a few days ago I found her in the roof of the garage having climbed a ladder retrieving a part for father's old car that I'd promised to help her replace. She'd be really annoyed if she knew this but that concerned me and my wife said she'd be concerned if it were her mother or father at the age mine are.

Alex, a friend of mine is leaving to teach abroad in September, so you can cancel that out and not worry about taking up the place anymore.

Sorry to hear about your parents, it sounds like they have a lot of anxiety and issues but whereas you recognised this in yourself and have made fantastic leaps in your confidence and mental wellbeing as a result, they are almost clinging to it.

If you need to take time away from the, don't feel bad. It must be draining and you can't solve their problems for them unless you acquire a magic wand from somewhere.

Glad you had a good half term, next hols is the lovely long six weeks, I bet you're looking forward to it?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Thanks, Red Squirrel!

I think you're right about the magic wand. Next week I need to be there less.

Definitely looking forward to summer. Holiday planned and having a repeat trip to RW, not sure what else is happening but it will be good.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 10th Jun 17, 12:16 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 29,355 Thanks
    AlexLK
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday.
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ).
    Total Grocery Spend: £90 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: /20 - Need to get back to this.
    Meditation: 1/21. Need to also get back to this.
    Spreadsheets / Money tracking: This is happening.
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items. One needs to be the car I've been meaning to sell for months.
    Books read for pleasure: / 2
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,129 Thanks
    Karmacat
    My father is upset with himself. This has been an ongoing thing that seems to reoccur every once in a while; he'll tell me he regrets parenting decisions he made but then (at a later date) behave in the manner he has told me he regrets. Tonight I went there because he called saying he wanted to speak to me. He wanted to talk about the period leading to the mental breakdown I had in my late twenties. We were practically estranged for a couple of years before then but father now tells me he apparently wishes I could have spoken to him and it could have all been "prevented". The fact he wants to talk about this is difficult, to be honest.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    A conversation takes two, Alex - he now wants to talk about it, but you don't sound like you do. You're entitled to act on that - I understand you want to help your dad, so cutting the conversation down might be in order.

Funny you should mention multiplying numbers larger than 10, I have been (re)learning a lot of these methods in preparation for September. My father has always been good at arithmetic. He finds the constant pressure is causing him stress; mother collates the results once per week and becomes obsessive about the state of his mind if she notices anything of a slight negative correlation as well as being convinced that the tests will prevent things getting worse. I think it's her way of coping with them getting older and gives her something to do. On an unrelated note, a few days ago I found her in the roof of the garage having climbed a ladder retrieving a part for father's old car that I'd promised to help her replace. She'd be really annoyed if she knew this but that concerned me and my wife said she'd be concerned if it were her mother or father at the age mine are.
    OMG, I'm really sorry to "diagnose" over the interwebulator, but the control issues your mum is acting on are huuuuuge! She's *causing* your dad stress with the constant testing, and she's endangering herself by climbing a ladder to retrieve a part for the car.

Your own viewpoint, your own needs, your own ideas ... they're all valid, Alex.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 16,225 Posts
    • 96,880 Thanks
    maman
    I think it's more about the competition with trying to recruit maths and science graduates with bursaries. It would take a very dedicated soul to pass up the huge salaries available in the private sector to become, say, an IT teacher in a secondary school. In primary, the issue is more about retention as it's such a tough job particularly with all the curriculum changes and assessment requirements leading to huge workload stress. Then it becomes very difficult to get people to take on leadership roles. Headteacher Posts end up being advertised and re-advertised and many schools have Executive Headteachers covering several schools to cope with the shortages (and up the salary).

There could actually become a surplus of teachers in the next few years if the funding cuts go ahead but (to reassure you) governors will always want a man in a primary school so you have an advantage to start with plus NQTs are cheap!

ETA: You might want to look at schoolcuts.org.uk for schools in your area. These are projected cuts if the government was to go ahead with the' Fair 'Funding formula. What we don't know now is which, if any, of their policies they'll be able to implement.
    Last edited by maman; 10-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Jun 17, 12:42 PM
    • 5,679 Posts
    • 38,935 Thanks
    newgirly
    HI Alex, to back up what others have said you have to give it a go I think you will make a great teacher.
    Try to not focus too much on your parents , they have their health, each other, you nearby and enough money to pay for help if needed. I don't think it gets better than that they are very lucky!
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £10,784 paid so far

Mortgage £49,452 4 years 10 months left. Total owed £69,512 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weightwatchers target - 29.5 lb start date 11/5/17 so far 8.5lb lost
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 10th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 24,266 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hi Alex. We don't want teachers who NEED the job, but those who will do a GOOD job.

Sounds like your folks are stomping on your boundaries again.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    badmemory

OMG, I'm really sorry to "diagnose" over the interwebulator, but the control issues your mum is acting on are huuuuuge! She's *causing* your dad stress with the constant testing,
    Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Just to add to what Karmacat is saying - stress (if your Dad is showing early signs of dementia) is very bad for people with dementia. Your mother would be far better getting him a book of puzzles to do to keep his brain active rather than testing him. There are some puzzle magazines (back numbers now as they are no longer published unfortunately) which are very maths or logic based rather than crosswords if he would prefer that. Try looking at 'Tough Puzzles' as they are doing some of the back numbers - try the puzzler dot com website if you think he may be interested.

Also if he has loved doing maths type things since being young that will not be what he forgets. He is more likely to forget how to get to the local petrol station.

Of course, if you really wanted to put the cat among the pigeons, you could suggest that she gets him to play fizz buzz with her! For those that don't know - you take turns in counting from 1 upwards and say fizz for anything divisible by 3 & buzz for 5.
    Last edited by badmemory; 10-06-2017 at 6:42 PM.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Jun 17, 12:11 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 29,355 Thanks
    AlexLK
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday.
    Meditation: 2/21. Need to also get back to this.
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items. One needs to be the car I've been meaning to sell for months.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire - practised and started another piece of repertoire tonight..

Managed to get out walking today, despite the weather. However, so much for having a day off from my parents. All was going well until my father called asking if he could spend the evening with us. Reluctantly we agreed as it was such a strange request. I've not known him fall out with mother but he has today (all to do with her blaming me for him being upset / having regrets about the past), so we had my father here for the evening. It's the first time he's seen our new bathroom and was really impressed with it.

A conversation takes two, Alex - he now wants to talk about it, but you don't sound like you do. You're entitled to act on that - I understand you want to help your dad, so cutting the conversation down might be in order.

OMG, I'm really sorry to "diagnose" over the interwebulator, but the control issues your mum is acting on are huuuuuge! She's *causing* your dad stress with the constant testing, and she's endangering herself by climbing a ladder to retrieve a part for the car.

Your own viewpoint, your own needs, your own ideas ... they're all valid, Alex.

Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks, karmacat.

You're right, I don't want to talk about it. I suppose I'm only just beginning to move on from that part of my life.

My mother is an absolute control freak and always has been. She hasn't dealt particularly well with fully retiring. Sadly, I don't think there's ever been much else in her life than working and this has become the new "work". Father admitted tonight they don't go to the old people's lunch anymore because my mother decided she didn't wish to mix with a few of the people there.

I think it's more about the competition with trying to recruit maths and science graduates with bursaries. It would take a very dedicated soul to pass up the huge salaries available in the private sector to become, say, an IT teacher in a secondary school. In primary, the issue is more about retention as it's such a tough job particularly with all the curriculum changes and assessment requirements leading to huge workload stress. Then it becomes very difficult to get people to take on leadership roles. Headteacher Posts end up being advertised and re-advertised and many schools have Executive Headteachers covering several schools to cope with the shortages (and up the salary).

There could actually become a surplus of teachers in the next few years if the funding cuts go ahead but (to reassure you) governors will always want a man in a primary school so you have an advantage to start with plus NQTs are cheap!

ETA: You might want to look at schoolcuts.org.uk for schools in your area. These are projected cuts if the government was to go ahead with the' Fair 'Funding formula. What we don't know now is which, if any, of their policies they'll be able to implement.
    Interesting thoughts re. science graduates. Salaries here aren't particularly high in the private sector. As an engineer, my wife could earn A LOT more elsewhere and especially abroad. I suppose she earns about the same as a primary head / deputy in a larger school and whilst she doesn't have the same level of managerial responsibility, there could be cases where if she messes up there may be lives on the line. Just before I left my previous career, I was earning more than Mrs. K does now, yet all that could really be lost was money. Therefore, I think often salaries have little to do with the actual responsibility of the job. Teaching holds a more tangible responsibility than my previous career ever did, yet I would have to be promoted to Head of a fairly large primary to realise a similar salary.

Do you think the funding cuts will go ahead? I have already looked on the schoolcuts website and I can't say I think the government is doing the right thing at all. My son's school would be losing out if the changes go ahead and I am somewhat concerned the school would have to close (there has been the possibility before).

HI Alex, to back up what others have said you have to give it a go I think you will make a great teacher.
    Try to not focus too much on your parents , they have their health, each other, you nearby and enough money to pay for help if needed. I don't think it gets better than that they are very lucky!
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Thank you, NG.

You are ultimately right about my parents, there are older people in a lot worse position.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 11th Jun 17, 12:19 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 29,355 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Hi Alex. We don't want teachers who NEED the job, but those who will do a GOOD job.

Sounds like your folks are stomping on your boundaries again.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    I sincerely hope I will be able to do a good job and will certainly try to. However, if it transpires I cannot, I would not be looking for a role within a school.

They are.

Just to add to what Karmacat is saying - stress (if your Dad is showing early signs of dementia) is very bad for people with dementia. Your mother would be far better getting him a book of puzzles to do to keep his brain active rather than testing him. There are some puzzle magazines (back numbers now as they are no longer published unfortunately) which are very maths or logic based rather than crosswords if he would prefer that. Try looking at 'Tough Puzzles' as they are doing some of the back numbers - try the puzzler dot com website if you think he may be interested.

Also if he has loved doing maths type things since being young that will not be what he forgets. He is more likely to forget how to get to the local petrol station.

Of course, if you really wanted to put the cat among the pigeons, you could suggest that she gets him to play fizz buzz with her! For those that don't know - you take turns in counting from 1 upwards and say fizz for anything divisible by 3 & buzz for 5.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    My father enjoys all types of puzzles / crosswords. He spent a lot of time working through puzzle books a few years ago when he wasn't physically well enough to go out much.

I have not played fizz buzz but will be doing with my son / possibly at school as a starter / fun type activity! Thank you, badmemory.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 11th Jun 17, 7:16 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 6,898 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Hi Alex, I haven't been following but have caught up today, the bathroom sounds lovely. Re teaching and 'taking up a role'. Be selfish for the students! they deserve a dedicated, committed, caring teacher and you will be that - and lucky students who get you as a teacher. Great to hear you doing so well, your Mother sounds like she is in a terrible state, which you can neither control nor cure. Hopefully you can keep the crushing negativity away from your own, delightful, busy, loving family.
    Mortgage House £173,000 July17th 2016.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 16,096 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I have not played fizz buzz but will be doing with my son / possibly at school as a starter / fun type activity! Thank you, badmemory.
    We play a house variation on this so that anything with a three in it is also a fizz and anything with a five is a buzz - so picks up 52 etc. Ours is usually played at BBQs and involves adults and alcohol though...
    MFiT T4 #2 update 25.95% after Q5
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £5617.21/£5500 (51.64%/50%) after June - my annual target is £11,000 (Save £12k in 2016 thread £10,488.04/£10,000)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 50.68/50% including stores after June
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 16,225 Posts
    • 96,880 Thanks
    maman
    Do you think the funding cuts will go ahead? I have already looked on the schoolcuts website and I can't say I think the government is doing the right thing at all. My son's school would be losing out if the changes go ahead and I am somewhat concerned the school would have to close (there has been the possibility before).

It's hard to say. I know there will be phenomenal opposition but the policy existed before this last manifesto so they might try. The government lost in my former Gower constituency to a teacher who stood on an anti school cuts platform. It's supposed to rebalance finances but it's hard to find any 'winners' and the schools that stand to lose are struggling already.

In my area, your son's school would probably have closed down years ago unless it survived by the 4 x 4 factor. That's parents (usually yummy mummies) driving their children out into the villages boosting the numbers on roll artificially by parental preference.

It is a very difficult situation with your parents and I know as a loyal, caring person you won't just ignore them but do try to minimise the effects by keeping your distance and rationing the amount of time and emotional energy you give to them. It's been heart warming to see you rebuilding your immediate family unit in recent months please don't go backwards.

How far have you got with holiday plans for the summer? Do I remember correctly that you're going to go to Spain? We're off to Turkey on Tuesday for about 3 weeks. I can't wait to meet up with old friends and enjoy the sunshine.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 12th Jun 17, 1:21 AM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 29,355 Thanks
    AlexLK
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday. 3. Agricultural shows x 3.
    Meditation: 2/21. Need to also get back to this.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.

Had a quiet but nice day involving walking along the river and spending the evening having a pub meal and a few drinks with my cousin and her family. Meeting up with the loved up old schoolfriend and girlfriend tomorrow lunchtime. The girlfriend has never been to Bakewell, so I'm going to take them to get a Bakewell pudding.

Hi Alex, I haven't been following but have caught up today, the bathroom sounds lovely. Re teaching and 'taking up a role'. Be selfish for the students! they deserve a dedicated, committed, caring teacher and you will be that - and lucky students who get you as a teacher. Great to hear you doing so well, your Mother sounds like she is in a terrible state, which you can neither control nor cure. Hopefully you can keep the crushing negativity away from your own, delightful, busy, loving family.
    Originally posted by tootallulah
    Thank you. This reminds me, I need to write a proper bathroom update.

Not seen my parents today, it was a welcome break, to be honest.

We play a house variation on this so that anything with a three in it is also a fizz and anything with a five is a buzz - so picks up 52 etc. Ours is usually played at BBQs and involves adults and alcohol though...
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Do you say "fizz" or "buzz" rather than the number?

It's hard to say. I know there will be phenomenal opposition but the policy existed before this last manifesto so they might try. The government lost in my former Gower constituency to a teacher who stood on an anti school cuts platform. It's supposed to rebalance finances but it's hard to find any 'winners' and the schools that stand to lose are struggling already.
    I had also hear about it being to rebalance finances away from being biased towards inner cities and they tried to say rural schools and those in small towns would be better off. However, the schoolcuts site seems to think practically all schools will be worse off.

Personally, I would like to see much more investment in education at both school, college and university level. Something I found particularly appealing in the Labour manifesto was the idea of a "National Education Service" with the aim being to provide an education provision for all.

In my area, your son's school would probably have closed down years ago unless it survived by the 4 x 4 factor. That's parents (usually yummy mummies) driving their children out into the villages boosting the numbers on roll artificially by parental preference.
    The school is so small, my son would notice a significant rise in class size if he attended my old prep school. Though not as many opportunities are available (probably as much to do with how small the school is as it being state-ran), for my son it has worked really well so far and we make up for the school not offering many ECs. If I'm honest I'm not sure where he will go next. My cousin's children are doing really well attending the local senior school but still get lots of time at home to enjoy. I'm starting to think there's a lot to be said for that.

There are a few children who don't live in the village but not many. Plenty of 4x4s owned by parents but we're talking Defenders (well, mainly those horrible Japanese things, really) rather than Range Rovers.

It is a very difficult situation with your parents and I know as a loyal, caring person you won't just ignore them but do try to minimise the effects by keeping your distance and rationing the amount of time and emotional energy you give to them. It's been heart warming to see you rebuilding your immediate family unit in recent months please don't go backwards.

How far have you got with holiday plans for the summer? Do I remember correctly that you're going to go to Spain? We're off to Turkey on Tuesday for about 3 weeks. I can't wait to meet up with old friends and enjoy the sunshine.
    Had a much needed day off today.

Not a chance I will knowingly let my marriage get into the state it was. My wife is making a genuine effort which deserves my every effort. After the conversation with her MD about work and family, she seems to have realised listening to a certain someone and being influenced to spend time outside work going out rather than coming home is not necessarily fulfilling. She has taken our counselling seriously and also actively dealing with not getting overly angry about things which don't warrant such a reaction. I'm seriously proud of her and my son is starting to enjoy time with Mummy. I think she also has thought about my father telling her she will regret her actions re. our son and acted upon it. At the moment, I can honestly say my marriage is about the best it has ever been. There's no competition or walking on eggshells. Both my wife and I think we've been through enough and this next part of our lives is going to be good.

Yes, going to the apartment in Spain this summer. No real plans. I know my wife wants to spend a few lazy days on the beach, so do I if I'm honest.

Enjoy Turkey. A holiday we haven't got around to taking is chartering a Turkish Gulet. My Brother-in-Law and his wife went on such a holiday when I first met Mrs. K.; she was incredibly envious.
    • cazmanian_minx
    • By cazmanian_minx 12th Jun 17, 7:03 AM
    • 4,004 Posts
    • 18,415 Thanks
    cazmanian_minx

Do you say "fizz" or "buzz" rather than the number?
    Exactly So playing Suffolk lass's variation, it goes:

One, two, fizz, four, buzz, fizz, seven, eight, fizz, buzz, eleven, fizz, fizz, fourteen, fizzbuzz.

EDIT: Oh, and when LittleK starts learning languages (if he hasn't already) then play it in French, German, Spanish etc. etc.
    Last edited by cazmanian_minx; 12-06-2017 at 7:39 AM.
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £114,428.66 Offset: £51,337.84 Amount paid off: £30,716.34 (21.2%) Paying interest on: £63,090.82
    Holiday let:
    02/17: £177,416.86 (Family loan: £129,146.86 + 0% cards £48,270.00) Currently: £175,566.86 Amount paid off: £1,850.00 (1.04%)
    Sugar days 2017: 15/26 Debt-free: 17/02/2017
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 12th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    kelpie35
    Not a chance I will knowingly let my marriage get into the state it was. My wife is making a genuine effort which deserves my every effort. After the conversation with her MD about work and family, she seems to have realised listening to a certain someone and being influenced to spend time outside work going out rather than coming home is not necessarily fulfilling. She has taken our counselling seriously and also actively dealing with not getting overly angry about things which don't warrant such a reaction. I'm seriously proud of her and my son is starting to enjoy time with Mummy. I think she also has thought about my father telling her she will regret her actions re. our son and acted upon it. At the moment, I can honestly say my marriage is about the best it has ever been. There's no competition or walking on eggshells. Both my wife and I think we've been through enough and this next part of our lives is going to be good.

That is wonderful news, Alex

You are a lovely little family, God bless you all.

Take care
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

4,007Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin