Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 5,118Posts
    • 25,835Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Savings 2016: £9,790.
    £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013. Debt free on 12/1/2015.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

Page 112
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 18th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    You are quite right Frayed Not, I quite frequently think that.

What is done is done and you can't change it. Draw a line, learn from it and move forward. One thing you can do is influence the future (notice I don't say control as that's impossible with outside factors kicking in from time to time).

We all have blips on the OP front - especially at costly times like birthdays and Christmas - don't worry about it.

Take care.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £99,090.90 (08.11.2016)
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 26th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 7,604 Posts
    • 84,963 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Morning Alex, thinking of how things might have been is human nature. We all do it - just need to keep drawing a line under it and focus on the now.

Think back to Jan/February this year and you didn't have a goal - you have saved almost £10k this year. Sounds like something to celebrate to me.

Hope you are having a brilliant half term with your family.

Best wishes Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033 2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Goal: 28/08/15
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 26th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 14,448 Thanks
    SueP19
    It's not just the little ones who get tired, youngest son who is in his final year of A levels, is also exhausted and looking forward to the half term.

His workload is absolutely massive at the moment and on top of that, he is doing his uni prep (portfolio, personal statement etc) plus he has this mad idea of trying to fit a part time job in there somewhere, no idea where it would fit though or where he would find the energy for it!

So far, the only thing we have planned for the half term week is right at the end, an open day visit to Lincoln university.
    Originally posted by SingleSue
    My DD did Law at Lincoln, great place

Lots of thoughts about the past and if I'd taken this route or that rather than the ones I did. Mainly questioning if I could've changed things and prevented all the problems I have.
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Hi Alex, to quote Rafiki "the past is the past but it can hurt" My take on the past is that the decision made at the time was the right one at that time. The reason you might make a different decision now is purely down to the circumstances and/or you not being the same.
    MFiT-T4 #57 £300/£20,000 MFW 2016 #53 £300/£4,800
    Mort Oct 15 £70,353 £66,422 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt May 09 £30,217Jan 16 £17,734
    Tilly Tidy #1 £50.55/£250
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 30th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,835 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Just read my last post on here ... still nothing done / organised / bought for my son's birthday. Not made an overpayment and the finances aren't looking good. I think the cars have decided they want to bankrupt us at the moment.

This half term we made it to Spain, generally had a good time and it was a cheap week away. Perhaps not the wisest thing to do considering we've not had a great month financially and the next few months are looking a little difficult but it has been nice to get away. Tomorrow it's back to school / work / reality.

Can't say I'm in a great state of mind at the moment.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 30th Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 7,989 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Good to read you managed to get away for a nice sunny break you are so lucky.

I don't think anybody returning from a lovely sunny place, back to work,/school/reality is ever in a good place as for finances, I think most have hit , still we can all play catch up in the NY, well that's my plan anyway, I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, one or two months off is no time at all, I will catch up, I will.

So long as I see something/anything albeit little change then I'm happy, I've everything (bill wise) coming in, in the next few probably couple of weeks and I got left out of the o/t info, so I have 1 night which will bring me £30 clear, so I just have to keep listing on the b@y, which seems harder work atm.

As for DS birthday, it always takes me longer to decide what to buy, rather than actually go get it. Has your DS been asking for anything he may like/want. Riding lessons?, riding equipment ? a remote controlled car ?
    a mini workbench & tools (so he can copy Dad) Lots of ideas just need to decide.

Oh, and that £10 short in your savings, is annoying me
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and someday it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    o/p 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69 MFW2016 #27 £3101.03/£3000
    £1000/£1000 51.44/33.29=84.73
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 31st Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 7,985 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Just read my last post on here ... still nothing done / organised / bought for my son's birthday.
    You've still got 3 weeks, plenty of time.

Glad you had a nice time away.

GOh, and that £10 short in your savings, is annoying me
    Originally posted by A Frayed Knot
    Me too. I don't think Alex is the OCD type regarding tidy finance numbers, though, judging by how long he's let it remain. I would have lasted about 10 minutes, I think.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,900 (£6,628 offset)
    Payment 35/84 / 2016 MFW #56: £41,769/£43,000 97% / MFiT-T4 #15: £39,600/£90,000 44%
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 31st Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    A Frayed Not is right - catch up in the NY.

I am lucky that the money from our rental is our OPs at the moment - if we didn't have that there wouldn't be anything being OPed.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Glad you had a good week away - how nice to get some sun...

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

Renovation Fund:£944.75; Kitchen Fund (including re-wiring): £notalotleft; Roof Fund £5000.00
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 4th Nov 16, 11:12 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,835 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Thanks all.

I hope I'll respond to everyone over the weekend. Things have not been great over these past few days, very frustrated and feel like a complete failure. Something I have managed to sort is a simplified spreadsheet for the day to day finances which has helped me to actually stay on top of our day to day money and find out when I am not being paid for services rendered.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 5th Nov 16, 10:09 AM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 7,985 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Something I have managed to sort is a simplified spreadsheet for the day to day finances which has helped me to actually stay on top of our day to day money and find out when I am not being paid for services rendered.
    That's a brilliant step.

I hope things improve for you soon.
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,900 (£6,628 offset)
    Payment 35/84 / 2016 MFW #56: £41,769/£43,000 97% / MFiT-T4 #15: £39,600/£90,000 44%
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 5th Nov 16, 10:24 AM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 19,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hi Alex. What happened about teacher training?
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:02 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,835 Thanks
    AlexLK
    We all think from time to time (don't we ?) about what if . . . . . I had done this instead of that, or that instead of this. However I generally think the path you take is the right one, and if your not on the right road, then you steer till you get on the right road. Even if on the right road, it's not all plain sailing (?) I get some strange peculiar thoughts, like, if I had crossed the road minutes later, would I have been hit by a bus

Result is. if you didn't have all the past problems, you wouldn't be the person you are today, and from what I read, that's a good person, a good husband, a good son and a good father

On another note, you say you won't be able to make a o/p this month, but look on the positive side, would you be able to add £10 to your savings, making the total £9,800 (that's the zeros kicking in)
    Thanks, AFK.

I am trying to stick with the idea that if I have a bad day, it does not have to mean a bad week and if I have a bad week, it does not have to mean a bad month etc. As for thoughts like getting run over by a bus had you crossed the road moments later, I used to think about waiting for the bus. Still do, sometimes.

I hope I've improved, certainly try to.

Re. the savings, I suppose I ought start thinking about the zeros as I'd probably save a little more.

You are quite right Frayed Not, I quite frequently think that.

What is done is done and you can't change it. Draw a line, learn from it and move forward. One thing you can do is influence the future (notice I don't say control as that's impossible with outside factors kicking in from time to time).

We all have blips on the OP front - especially at costly times like birthdays and Christmas - don't worry about it.

Take care.

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Thanks, MCI.

I know nothing can be done about the past. I suppose I just wish I'd not been the person I was. When I can be rational about such things, I know I need to let go of it and move on. I am also aware that I cannot control the future. To be honest, I'm terrified of what's to come.

Morning Alex, thinking of how things might have been is human nature. We all do it - just need to keep drawing a line under it and focus on the now.

Think back to Jan/February this year and you didn't have a goal - you have saved almost £10k this year. Sounds like something to celebrate to me.

Hope you are having a brilliant half term with your family.

Best wishes Tilly
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Thank you, Tilly. We had a good half term.

I do try to keep drawing the line, though it can be most difficult at times. This is the first time since before half term I've managed to do so.

Unfortunately, I cannot really see the money I've saved this year as it's been spent on the house and cars. I suppose I almost forget I've managed to do anything this year because things are rather difficult financially at the moment.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:11 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,835 Thanks
    AlexLK
    My DD did Law at Lincoln, great place

Hi Alex, to quote Rafiki "the past is the past but it can hurt" My take on the past is that the decision made at the time was the right one at that time. The reason you might make a different decision now is purely down to the circumstances and/or you not being the same.
    Originally posted by SueP19
    My past hurts a lot, unfortunately and coming to terms with the fact I potentially made decisions that were right for me at the time makes me feel rather ill. I'm far from the same, can't even stand to see photos of me from ten/fifteen years ago and won't let my wife display any photos of our wedding, which I know she would like to, as I can't face looking at myself from those times.

Good to read you managed to get away for a nice sunny break you are so lucky.

I don't think anybody returning from a lovely sunny place, back to work,/school/reality is ever in a good place as for finances, I think most have hit , still we can all play catch up in the NY, well that's my plan anyway, I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, one or two months off is no time at all, I will catch up, I will.

So long as I see something/anything albeit little change then I'm happy, I've everything (bill wise) coming in, in the next few probably couple of weeks and I got left out of the o/t info, so I have 1 night which will bring me £30 clear, so I just have to keep listing on the b@y, which seems harder work atm.

As for DS birthday, it always takes me longer to decide what to buy, rather than actually go get it. Has your DS been asking for anything he may like/want. Riding lessons?, riding equipment ? a remote controlled car ?
    a mini workbench & tools (so he can copy Dad) Lots of ideas just need to decide.

Oh, and that £10 short in your savings, is annoying me
    OK, OK I'll deal with the £10.

Thanks for all the advice / ideas. I think I'll be catching up a lot in the new year.

We have sorted a riding party at my cousin's, so far. No gifts as yet, though.

You've still got 3 weeks, plenty of time.

Glad you had a nice time away.

Me too. I don't think Alex is the OCD type regarding tidy finance numbers, though, judging by how long he's let it remain. I would have lasted about 10 minutes, I think.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Less than two weeks now.

No, I'm not OCD re. finances, do think I'd be much better if I were though.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:16 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,835 Thanks
    AlexLK
    A Frayed Not is right - catch up in the NY.

I am lucky that the money from our rental is our OPs at the moment - if we didn't have that there wouldn't be anything being OPed.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

Glad you had a good week away - how nice to get some sun...

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Nothing is being OPed here at the moment. Financially things are difficult and we've spent a lot of money on cars. I know everyone on here thinks it's an extravagance, so I won't go into details other than to say one thing turned into another and the bills have mounted up to thousands. I think all this happening at once has made me quite ill.

That's a brilliant step.

I hope things improve for you soon.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Thanks, HS.

Have been keeping the spreadsheet updated.

Hi Alex. What happened about teacher training?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    I've applied.... and have an interview lined up...
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 6th Nov 16, 10:32 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 25,835 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Well, I've forced myself to respond to all those who have taken time to respond to me on here. Strangely, it's helped a lot. I suppose it's made me think a little and confront some things I'd been trying not to think about (living in the present and not the past, mostly).

Hoping to make this week a little more positive than last and have started going to bed at reasonable times over the past few days. Last week got quite bad. This week is set to be busy and we need to get everything bought and wrapped up for our son's birthday. I cannot believe he is going to be 6 and honestly not sure whether to smile or cry. Yes, it's a little pathetic but whilst it is fantastic to see him growing I terribly miss that year before he went to school. My school work is keeping me busy and sane at the moment, I'm starting to learn not to bring things home with me and that pupils will only do what they put their minds to do. Them not practising is not my fault or problem. My wife told me that so long as they are safe and well, their circumstances are not my problem and it's not my place to be spending money on them and allowing them not to pay me for services rendered. Implementing some stricter boundaries is what I needed to do and I am no longer feeling personally guilty for them not having the right instruments / books etc. etc. Though not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I've started to apply some of the boundaries I have with tenants to teaching but it has at least stopped me spending personal money on them and making losses in what should be a profit making activity.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 6th Nov 16, 10:54 PM
    • 9,555 Posts
    • 51,966 Thanks
    SingleSue
    I'm with you on the disbelief of offspring getting older....going on uni open days has really brought it home to me that youngest will be flying the nest next year and I am finding it very difficult to get my head around it.

I fear that I will be a crumbling mess the day we drop him off for his first day of university and that he will be a very embarrassed young man indeed
    Keep battling on, I will get there eventually..even if I don't know where there is! Now a degree student and a carer to 3 disabled sons! Eldests' diagnosis (4.5.10) is Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility type and now it looks like I have it too (13.1.11) eekk!
    Tilly Tidy #10 £92.24/£180
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 6th Nov 16, 11:35 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 7,989 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Sounds like your sorting yourself out. That's such a lovely idea for your sons birthday, with his love of horses, he will be delighted and excited, does he know about it, or is it a surprise?

As I said, I do think quite a few have hit but not to worry, there is always time to play catch up, no point in worrying, as someone said to me quite recently (in a different context, really but I apply it to most things, now) "There's no point in worrying, it's not going to change the outcome" and she's right has saved me a lot of worrying since I heard this.

Excellent work re the spreadsheet, and keeping it up to date. Oh and the job application and job interview, Well Done wish yo well and luck with the interview.
    And good to read, your going to deal with the £10 short in your savings

It's the little things that make people happy
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and someday it will all be 0's
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    o/p 2014/£4000, 2015/£6294.69 MFW2016 #27 £3101.03/£3000
    £1000/£1000 51.44/33.29=84.73
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Nov 16, 11:46 PM
    • 14,997 Posts
    • 88,459 Thanks
    maman

Good luck with the interview and do keep us posted.

My school work is keeping me busy and sane at the moment, I'm starting to learn not to bring things home with me and that pupils will only do what they put their minds to do. Them not practising is not my fault or problem. My wife told me that so long as they are safe and well, their circumstances are not my problem and it's not my place to be spending money on them and allowing them not to pay me for services rendered. Implementing some stricter boundaries is what I needed to do and I am no longer feeling personally guilty for them not having the right instruments / books etc. etc. Though not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I've started to apply some of the boundaries I have with tenants to teaching but it has at least stopped me spending personal money on them and making losses in what should be a profit making activity.

It's a good thing IMO. Just like people in, for example, the medical profession you have to keep a professional distance and remember they're not your children. Good preparation for if you go into teaching.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 6th Nov 16, 11:54 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 3,816 Thanks
    kelpie35

Hope all goes well with the interview.

From reading some of your posts I think this would be an excellent job for you.

Take care
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 7th Nov 16, 6:49 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,912 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Good luck with the interview.

I would have loved a birthday party like that when I was your sons age, how wonderful.
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 7th Nov 16, 12:28 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 18,958 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Great news about the job interview!

Keep us up to date.

MCI
    OP's to Date £2000

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,497Posts Today

5,679Users online

Martin's Twitter