Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 5,058Posts
    • 25,387Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Savings 2016: £9,790.
    £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013. Debt free on 12/1/2015.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

Page 107
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 21st Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 25,387 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Hi Alex

Great to see the menu planning in action. Regarding the 'ready meal' feeling - you just have to remember that YOU have made them doing all the hard work previously - they are HM ready meals which are far superior to anything shop bought - just because it didn't take you hours to prepare that evening when you just bung them in the oven doesn't mean they are any-less the masterpiece you have created. HM cottage Pies have been a God-send while we have been having the kitchen done - I've just boiled some veg and made gravy while they have whizzed round in the microwave - not ideal but far tastier than anything from the pub!

Good luck with your fridge freezer purchase.

MCI
    Originally posted by misscousinitt
    Thanks, MCI.

Hope all is going well with the kitchen.

I'm hoping I can stick with the meal planning, it all seems a lot easier and I don't spend my days driving to various towns to pick up various food items or deciding I can't face it which leads to the pub meals.

My wife wants one of those Smeg fridge freezers but the one she wants is £1,400. I was thinking about spending c.£300.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 21st Sep 16, 11:38 PM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 35,195 Thanks
    newgirly
    I have a pink smeg fridge (with ice box at the top) it's not been great Hence the fridge fund! Broken plastic bits on the door and a forever leaking ice box dripping into the fridge. It does look really pretty though
    MFW 21
    Target for 2016 £30,000 \ £72,350.11 paid so far

Mortgage £63,080 5 yrs 8 months left. Total owed £92,893.96. Fridge fund £0

Weight loss 2016 - 17.25 lb lost 40lb target
    • maman
    • By maman 21st Sep 16, 11:51 PM
    • 14,631 Posts
    • 86,566 Thanks
    maman
    My daughter has a Smeg fridge freezer. She's had it for 5 years with no problems and loves it.Alex , if MrsK does persuade you then if you buy one from Boots online using one of their Advantage cards you'll get quite a few pounds back which she can then spend on perfume or make up!
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 22nd Sep 16, 11:10 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 25,387 Thanks
    AlexLK
    I have a pink smeg fridge (with ice box at the top) it's not been great Hence the fridge fund! Broken plastic bits on the door and a forever leaking ice box dripping into the fridge. It does look really pretty though
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Thanks, NG.

This is the one she likes: http://www.pauldavieskitchensandappliances.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/8391/s/fab32/?gclid=CPTp-L79o88CFS8o0wodrGYM7Q

It does say it does not require defrosting - is this really the case?

Doesn't sound like yours has been good value for money, how long have you had it?

My daughter has a Smeg fridge freezer. She's had it for 5 years with no problems and loves it.Alex , if MrsK does persuade you then if you buy one from Boots online using one of their Advantage cards you'll get quite a few pounds back which she can then spend on perfume or make up!
    Originally posted by maman
    Can't quite understand how a fridge can be "loved". Do you think it is well built and worth the extra?

Re. wife. I didn't know Boots sold appliances but I'm sure find something to spend the cashback on (and more probably).
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 22nd Sep 16, 11:29 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 25,387 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Not a lot has happened today apart from someone at school (staff member) telling me I'm "obviously privileged" (in a rude way) after asking my advice about buying a new car. Really wish the Head of Music hadn't told him to speak to me. Anyhow, despite being "obviously privileged" here I am still paying down my mortgage with a long way to go. Should manage to send £450 this month, which is a large overpayment for my wife and I. So awfully privileged when a roof replacement and an MGB have just about wiped our personal savings out, aren't I?
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• choccielover
    • By choccielover 23rd Sep 16, 6:02 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    choccielover
    Really......

Can you honestly not see it Alex??

No she didn't have to say it nastily but she wasn't wrong
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    OP in 2016 - Jan £599.45 Feb £1584.13 Mar £299.10
    Apr £880.37 May £1007.26 June £929.56 July £948
    2016 Target £10,000
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 23rd Sep 16, 7:47 AM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 35,195 Thanks
    newgirly
    The fridge was second hand from flea bay about five years ago (it was almost new when bought) I don't use the ice box it's constantly iced up and drips. You are paying more for the style/name not the quality - however that's not to say that's not a good reason to not buy one- you could be driving a one litre fiat panda it would do the same job getting you from A to B

Sorry Alex be you are privileged, lots of us on here are if we are managing to feed and clothe ourselves and still create enough over to have savings or overpay. If in doubt I refer you back to jack monroe's blog and the piece called "hunger hurts"

Ps. Woman at school should not have been rude though!
    Last edited by newgirly; 23-09-2016 at 8:22 AM.
    MFW 21

• Bluefire
    • By Bluefire 23rd Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    Bluefire
    Only you could claim not to be privileged because buying an MGB has nearly wiped out your savings Alex...
    Mortgage: £28,896.49 £1,791.47
    MF Date:
    November 2041 December 2016
    MFW 2015 #110: £13,867/£13,000 (100%)
    Offset Savings 2015: £5,000/£5,000 (100%)
    MFW 2016 #110: £1498/£2308 (65%)
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Sep 16, 10:48 AM
    • 14,631 Posts
    • 86,566 Thanks
    maman
    Of course the person you spoke to shouldn't have been rude but I thought you were getting a better understanding of 'how the other half lives'. I admire your aspiration but having a mortgage in your early thirties is a pipedream in itself to most people let alone being irked because you haven't paid it off.

If it was a teacher you were speaking to she could have been earning less than £23 000 a year which, without the bank of mum and dad or other private means, would make it very difficult to buy any sort of house or car. If it was support staff then the salary would be even lower. She'd probably have been looking for advice on a £2000 second hand hatchback circa 2007 so the very idea of someone buying a classic to add to a collection and even having their own house to have a roof repaired would be cloud cuckoo land.

As for my DD 'loving' her fridge freezer perhaps that was a bit strong. In terms of the William Morris adage she finds it both beautiful and useful. Without a doubt there's also the pleasure in owning a 'label'. I suspect MrsK would feel much the same and the retro look should fit into your home.

Hope all goes smoothly with LittleK and orchestra later.
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 23rd Sep 16, 11:42 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 25,387 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Really......

Can you honestly not see it Alex??

No she didn't have to say it nastily but she wasn't wrong
    Originally posted by choccielover
    Choccie, I cannot see it. School teacher did not know anything about me apart from being told I teach Music on a freelance and voluntary basis and am interested in cars, so I really cannot see how one can gather such an assertion from a discussion about cars. I found it rather insulting (it all very much had the connotation I knew nothing about the "real world" / my mother and father pay my way in life).

The fridge was second hand from flea bay about five years ago (it was almost new when bought) I don't use the ice box it's constantly iced up and drips. You are paying more for the style/name not the quality - however that's not to say that's not a good reason to not buy one- you could be driving a one litre fiat panda it would do the same job getting you from A to B

Sorry Alex be you are privileged, lots of us on here are if we are managing to feed and clothe ourselves and still create enough over to have savings or overpay. If in doubt I refer you back to jack monroe's blog and the piece called "hunger hurts"

Ps. Woman at school should not have been rude though!
    Originally posted by newgirly
    I know where you're coming from re. the fridge. Don't really know what we're going to do. Mrs K thinks it would rather "lift" the kitchen. I also like the design but do want something that will last (ideally c.20 years). Does anyone know of anything similar to the Smeg with a better build quality?

The 'Hunger Hurts' article is extremely sad and did make me consider how I had assumed those relying on state benefits live. Though, I don't think that article represents society as an average; I do not personally know anybody that has been in that situation and would say that it is rare. I do not say that to make light of such a situation at all and do think there should be legislation put into place to help those facing such hardship. Privilege is not being able to feed and clothe yourself whilst saving a little money and having a few toys to play with, that is my definition of being financially "average" in the world.

Only you could claim not to be privileged because buying an MGB has nearly wiped out your savings Alex...
    Originally posted by Bluefire
    Does having to sell my TR6 to fund the roof / MG count?
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 24th Sep 16, 12:18 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 25,387 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Of course the person you spoke to shouldn't have been rude but I thought you were getting a better understanding of 'how the other half lives'. I admire your aspiration but having a mortgage in your early thirties is a pipedream in itself to most people let alone being irked because you haven't paid it off.

If it was a teacher you were speaking to she could have been earning less than £23 000 a year which, without the bank of mum and dad or other private means, would make it very difficult to buy any sort of house or car. If it was support staff then the salary would be even lower. She'd probably have been looking for advice on a £2000 second hand hatchback circa 2007 so the very idea of someone buying a classic to add to a collection and even having their own house to have a roof repaired would be cloud cuckoo land.

As for my DD 'loving' her fridge freezer perhaps that was a bit strong. In terms of the William Morris adage she finds it both beautiful and useful. Without a doubt there's also the pleasure in owning a 'label'. I suspect MrsK would feel much the same and the retro look should fit into your home.

Hope all goes smoothly with LittleK and orchestra later.
    Originally posted by maman
    Maman, I am aware of starting salaries in teaching which I do think are low. However, you're not accounting for other income or even the wife's / husband's salary. Most people aren't single and live alone.

Re. the mortgage, yes I'm irked about it. Had I not been such an idiot in my formative years, I wouldn't have needed to have a mortgage on my current property. Is it really any wonder that I'm irked every time I see the payment going out of my bank account?

As it happens the teacher did want advice about a hatchback (albeit new and options of financing). After finding that they have a family (so not a young single person) and do a lot of outdoors type activities together, I suggested looking at a Land Rover. I made it clear I was not the person to ask about finance (explained it's been many years since either my wife or I financed a car and I had no advice to give as things are likely different now). Offered a look around my car and also suggested a Discovery explaining I'm very happy with mine and had a few LRs previously as well as my mother having them since the 1950s.

I understand re. the fridge.

Wife took son to orchestra and pleasingly it went well.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015.

• SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 24th Sep 16, 1:00 AM
    • 9,482 Posts
    • 51,302 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Choccie, I cannot see it. School teacher did not know anything about me apart from being told I teach Music on a freelance and voluntary basis and am interested in cars, so I really cannot see how one can gather such an assertion from a discussion about cars. I found it rather insulting (it all very much had the connotation I knew nothing about the "real world" / my mother and father pay my way in life).

I know where you're coming from re. the fridge. Don't really know what we're going to do. Mrs K thinks it would rather "lift" the kitchen. I also like the design but do want something that will last (ideally c.20 years). Does anyone know of anything similar to the Smeg with a better build quality?

The 'Hunger Hurts' article is extremely sad and did make me consider how I had assumed those relying on state benefits live. Though, I don't think that article represents society as an average; I do not personally know anybody that has been in that situation and would say that it is rare. I do not say that to make light of such a situation at all and do think there should be legislation put into place to help those facing such hardship. Privilege is not being able to feed and clothe yourself whilst saving a little money and having a few toys to play with, that is my definition of being financially "average" in the world.

Does having to sell my TR6 to fund the roof / MG count?
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    I rely on state benefits as a carer.

A new washing machine or cooker (or even a new fridge freezer ) would more than clear me out, I wouldn't have the money to buy one straight away.
    Keep battling on, I will get there eventually..even if I don't know where there is! Now a degree student and a carer to 3 disabled sons! Eldests' diagnosis (4.5.10) is Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility type and now it looks like I have it too (13.1.11) eekk!
    Tilly Tidy #10 £92.24/£180
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 24th Sep 16, 7:43 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    choccielover

I really thought you were making progress Alex
    OP in 2015 - £1,170
    OP in 2016 - Jan £599.45 Feb £1584.13 Mar £299.10
    Apr £880.37 May £1007.26 June £929.56 July £948
    2016 Target £10,000
    • Paspatur
    • By Paspatur 24th Sep 16, 7:52 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Paspatur
    Retro fridge freezers to research quality/reviews - Swan, Servis, Gorenje, Montpelier all far cheaper than Smeg. Mine is a 10 year old Nardi still working perfectly but they do not seem to be available in UK anymore. The Servis ones come with 5 year guarantee parts and labour
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 24th Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 35,195 Thanks
    newgirly
    I think I disagree Alex, privilege shouldn't be home /food /clothes and a bit of money left over but nowadays I think it IS that.

The hunger hurts article is extreme, but I think many people may have had perhaps had similar experiences to differing degrees. I know me and my dh have had times years ago when the kids were tiny when it's was 9p tins of beans on toast for a week, not all all as bad as the article of course, but I think far more people than you might think have had financial hardship if only temporarily.

I have to ask, how did the lady at school only know what you do at school but make all those assumptions about you and your background?
    MFW 21

• SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 24th Sep 16, 10:08 AM
    • 9,482 Posts
    • 51,302 Thanks
    SingleSue
    When my marriage broke up, ex decided it would be a good hoot to clear out the (joint) bank accounts and leave me with all the month's bills with just my part time earnings pay...oh and 3 small children at home.

I suppose I can see where he was coming from, he was moving out and needed money to pay for his new digs, furnish it and have fun money would have been his simplistic view but I can never forgive him for putting us through that. All the savings cleared out, the current account cleared out, all gone and bills (which included his as well), coming out of my ears.

I've no idea how we got through, a lot of that time has been blanked from my memory, I know it involved lots of sacks of potatoes and tins of beans but we got some relief when I got my Christmas bonus and Christmas savings came through from work and the top up benefits started up, only for my card to then be cloned 3 days later and 2 days before Christmas! Thankfully the money was back in my account very quickly and the culprits caught...they were described as the most inept criminals as they had actually booked a holiday, in their own names, with an invoice to their own address with my money and thought they could get away with it.

Christmas that year was the most depressing one I can remember. The boys had gone from a dual income, fairly comfortably off family to one where all mum could afford to buy for them was a couple of quids worth (quite literally) of presents. Not that they complained though, eldest was old enough (only just 12 but was mature beyond his years due to being a young carer) to be able to understand there was not the money to treat them with and he explained to his younger siblings so that when I went to talk to them about it and apologise, they said it was ok, they didn't need expensive presents or indeed any presents at all.

We've been a team ever since, they have never demanded toys or gadgets despite the peer pressure and will work within the budget I have set, they have never complained that such and such has *insert latest craze* because I have always been very open with them and all this despite having had an upbringing of plenty prior to that.
    Keep battling on, I will get there eventually..even if I don't know where there is! Now a degree student and a carer to 3 disabled sons! Eldests' diagnosis (4.5.10) is Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility type and now it looks like I have it too (13.1.11) eekk!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 24th Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 35,195 Thanks
    newgirly
    Wow what a story Sue, I hope things are much happier for you all now, it sounds like you are the one that came out of that marriage with all that matters, your kids should be so proud of their mum
    MFW 21

• SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 24th Sep 16, 10:59 AM
    • 9,482 Posts
    • 51,302 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Oh goodness yes, those were dark times but we have moved on from that. Now I have two boys at university, one going next year and although we still don't have a great deal of money, we are happy.

I'm the one who is proud, the boys are amazing, level headed, responsible and kind with a never give up attitude.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 24th Sep 16, 11:07 AM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 35,195 Thanks
    newgirly
    Great to hear
    MFW 21

• Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 24th Sep 16, 6:30 PM
    • 3,567 Posts
    • 33,222 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Being privately educated, having parents to bail you out when you mess up in your youth, and the expectation of a large inheritance makes you privileged. Very privileged.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,424Posts Today

7,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin