Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 519
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 50,384 Thanks
    silvasava
    Lovely to 'see' you back Monna - grey here too but forecast to brighten up this afternoon. Garden has gratefully soaked up the rain - you can almost see the plants breathe a sigh of relief!
    I'm with you all on the stray eyebrows that find their way to my chin! Tried using my epilator a couple of times - ouch ouch ouch - gone back to tweezers and a 10x magnifying mirror!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 13,960 Posts
    • 129,877 Thanks
    mardatha
    Been sunny spells and 17C here today and we've been oot on the bike all day!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Well, Hello there.

Thank you for thinking of me Ivyleaf. I had everything set up on Saturday but was held up by waiting for my phones to be delivered. Although I missed you all it was strangely restful to be incommunicado.

I am alone at last! Although the moving process was beyond chaotic and is still going on. I have never known anyone moving without packing first, just bundling things into bin bags as and when needed. However the bulk of stuff has disappeared and it maybe another week or two before it is all completely cleared, but still, there are now tidy patches instead of mountains of detritus. Getting there.

I have been vastly amused by the hair removing stories. Nice to know that I am not the only one to be thoughtfully stroking my chin in elegant company and finding that I am lovingly stroking an extremely long hair that was almost certainly not there a minute ago.
    As for legs!!! Years ago when I spent 6 weeks with my leg in plaster, I joked with the nurse who was removing it, (plaster, not leg) about deforestation. She remarked that everyone said that. However, when my leg was finally exposed in all its glory, she said in tones of awe and wonder, "My goodness! You could plait that hair, couldn't you?"
    Why on earth I was blessed with thick, luxuriant growth everywhere on my body except my head, I can't say.
    My guardian Angel was obviously not only drunk but dyslexic as well. She didn't have a clue about what was supposed to go where.

Oh Ivyleaf. Your poor shoes. I know what it's like to spend ages bashing a pair of shoes into (or out of) shape, enjoy the comfort of them for ages and finally have to ditch them. It's worse than parting with an old and treasured friend.

Well, it rained all day yesterday and doesn't look too good so far this morning. However, (cover your eyes Mar) I find it a relief. I don't do heat very well .

Now, a whole day to myself. What shall I do? Decisions. Decisions.

x
    Originally posted by monnagran
    monnagran! Speak of the devil We didn't 'alf miss you.xx

mardatha Glad to hear you've both had a good day
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 12-07-2017 at 5:57 PM.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 36,448 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    So glad to see you back Monna.
    Mar, I'm glad you had a day out.
    I have 106 days left until I retire. Yesterday I was asked which day's I was coming in to do my holiday work, erm, none, I've done all my assigned days. That didn't go down well.
    Another colleague then remarked, very nastily that I should leave next week as it would make things easier for everyone. Spiteful cow!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jul 17, 6:57 AM
    • 3,826 Posts
    • 30,483 Thanks
    Floss
    ...I have 106 days left until I retire. Yesterday I was asked which day's I was coming in to do my holiday work, erm, none, I've done all my assigned days. That didn't go down well.
    Another colleague then remarked, very nastily that I should leave next week as it would make things easier for everyone. Spiteful cow!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    How on earth can it make it easier if you leave early? That just shows what a bizarre setup your workplace is, to believe that they will be able to manage better without a Hester!! I hope you will have some insight into their progress post-retirement - after all, it could have been your paper management that caused all the machine breakdowns
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 50,384 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just think Hester - in 107 days they all have to go into work and you can do what you like - karma. I know I'm wishing chaos on all those that have been mean to our Hester.
    Mar - so glad you had a day out on the bike to blow the cobwebs away - hope you're not too tired today though. I spent yesterday helping sort the registration packs for all the riders for our charity bike run next week. Just hope its a dry day!
    Sorting out me and packing for another family wedding anniversary in sunny Lincolnshire. We're taking a detour via Birmingham on the way back home to pop in to see my Godmother who'se in her late 80's now and getting frail. I try to see her as often as I can - just wish I was a bit closer.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hester What a horrible thing to say to you! I suspect reprographics will fall apart after you leave, and serve them ruddy well right

I washed some bedding yesterday evening with the intention of hanging it out this morning, but it looks distinctly un-promising out there.....
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 36,854 Thanks
    monnagran
    Gosh Hester. I admire your restraint. My response would have been, "It has always been my policy to try to make life easier for everyone, so I will take your advice and from next week you are on your own. Enjoy your easy life."
    I seem to remember that you only offered to go back for the first half of next term to ease the transition.
    Couldn't you just spit?

The great clear out continues here. The kitchen is almost cleared and I have acres of empty cupboards and drawers. My telepathic eye sees nursemaggie turning a delicate shade of green.
    The living room and bathroom echo and I am told that DS2 and DIL will be coming this weekend to do their bedroom and the garage. That is something I wouldn't tackle!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 14th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 22,603 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Just. Busy few days here but I have the rest of today to myself for sewing...unless things blow up via e-mail, but given I still have a few weeks before my start date I may just try ignoring it for a few hours.

Plan for this afternoon is sewing--finally get around to making the voiles and make some new cushion covers as well as some hankies for OH. I've divied up my new fabric with patterns etc. and have most of the notions but the local shop didn't have everything I needed so that will have to wait. I expect I have enough to keep my occupied for today. I put another two evenings worth of soup (red this time!) into the freezer last night and OH is tasked with tea tonight.

Monna--so glad you're back. I expect you're enjoying the sound of silence.

Hester--I'm afraid my pettiness would have me tempted to leave a 'legacy' set all of the machines to default to printing everything 8 to a page with staples? I never act on such petty desires but sometimes it is fun to think them up.

Ivy--it is absolutely pouring it down here. I hope your bedding is faring a bit better!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 22,464 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Too right I am monna We found out on Wednesday that we are to lose one of our two kitchen cupboards for the central heating boiler. I'm afraid I panicked. I already have a kitchen cupboard under the bed. Good job I am not going to lose that. I also have lots of kitchen things I don't use so often, in my wardrobe.

hester it has been my experience that, even when you really loved a job and don't really want to go, someone will suddenly turns nasty and you can't wait to get out. I think they feel you are betraying them by leaving. They may not even be conscious of it, and be the person who liked you best.

I have to say I do think you work in a very dystopian workplace. As soon as you leave forget they ever existed and enjoy the rest of your life. Retirement is going to be brilliant.

Yesterday DD and family came for the day. They struggle to fit in a few hours with each member of the family, as SiL is from a big family. We had a lovely day, went for a picnic in the park. Lovely weather, nice and warm but not too hot nor, was the sun so strong that we needed to worry about sun burn.

FPKWe have no rain here it is just cloudy.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Glad you had a good day yesterday nursemaggie. Ouch to losing a precious cupboard though!

I got the bedding dry in the end, though at one point it began to "spit" with rain so I brought it in to be on the safe side, then put it back out later. I wouldn't have wanted to do that with a big washload though!

I did some sewing today as well. I mended OH's hoodie. I had no choice really, as he was happily wearing it to go out in with a hole in the shoulder seam *rolls eyes*
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 22,464 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    ivyleaf don't you think men tend ignore things like that or not to notice?

My first husband reminded me daily that I threw out an old jacket that had not fitted him for 20 year, was worn out when we met and was not even fit for rags.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,826 Posts
    • 30,483 Thanks
    Floss
    I've been out gadding today... DB was graduating following completion of his PGCE and I was lucky enough to attend with his wife DSiL and DN8. The sun shone and we have some very proud memories.

However, I had been a bit uncomfortable & fidgety all day and realised, when I just changed out of my smart clothes, that the bra I was wearing wasn't underwired (have no idea how I managed to buy 2 non-wired bras as have worn them for 25+ years and my 34DDs need the support!), which explained everything... I felt so much better when I changed it!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 50,384 Thanks
    silvasava
    We were supposed to be going to Lincolnshire today to celebrate another wedding anniversary on Sunday but.....DH went down with a tummy bug yesterday and hasn't left the loo in spite of the tabs he's taken. I was hoping it would have cleared by today and we could have travelled later but now he's worried about passing it on to anyone else. He's suggested I go on my own as it's family but I'm still hoping we could go tomorrow morning
    Had a small LBM yesterday - the last of my Blackcurrants I've picked needed topping and as they are riper when I used my sharp knife I kept squashing them. Cue - a pair of thread snips that were with my sewing stuff - did it brilliantly! Never used them with my sewing machine anyway. I got through a punnet of gooseberries too in no time.
    Right - just off to local shops to replenish baby and disinfectant wipes and bleach spray!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    nursemaggie I soooo agree with you! OH simply doesn't care what he looks like as long as he's comfortable. He had the hoodie on when we went out the other day, and as well as the hole in the shoulder seam it had been screwed up in the boot of the car for a while and was really crumpled. He just didn't care, and couldn't understand why I did!
    He also has a couple of t-shirts he loves and insists on wearing even though they have indelible stains ( very small ones, thankfully) on the front.
    He does wear perfectly reasonable-looking tops as well, but sees no difference between those and the others.

Floss I'm glad it all went well! You must be so proud of your brother, and he has done brilliantly

Oh dear Silvasava, your poor husband! I hope he'll be well enough for you both to go tomorrow x
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 15-07-2017 at 8:32 PM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh dear, last time I saw the dentist he warned me I had a cracked tooth and that it might break before my next check-up (due next month) and it just has

Had to happen on a Saturday, didn't it? Oh well, if it gets sore i'll just have to take Co-codamol. It doesn't half feel odd though.

Re my previous post about scruffy OH - just to add that I do love him and am very glad he's here.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 15th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,580 Thanks
    karcher
    Welcome back Monna

Hello to all you Fencers and I hope you are all keeping well x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hello karcher! Nice to see you x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 4,786 Posts
    • 50,155 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I now have a temporary filling and an appointment for "crown prep" in 2 weeks (can't do next week as OH is going to hospital for a procedure). Luckily i have enough in my savings account to pay for it all!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 36,854 Thanks
    monnagran
    I hate teeth Ivyleaf. I do feel that the Almighty could have devised a better system for grinding up our food.

Well the clear up that was promised for the weekend never happened. Don't know what happened there except that DS2 went down with some bug or other. However he popped in this morning to relay the information that Dora has learned how to open the back door in the new house. She was spotted by neighbours having a wonderful time in other peoples' gardens. The sight of her clearing hedges and fences caused great excitement. Better than Aintree apparently. She was eventually caught as she was directing the traffic in the middle of the road.
    She also distinguished herself by eating DS2 's new, very expensive electric toothbrush.

DS2 was apoplectic.

Millie and I exchanged shocked glances.

Was given an unexpected lift to Aldi this morning. I was after, as well as food, a broom, a large sponge and a small washing up bowl.
    No luck with those but I did acquire a small step ladder. So now I can reach up to clean the tops of the cupboards.
    Or I could if I had a large sponge.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,022Posts Today

8,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin