Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 506
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,964 Thanks
    greenbee
    I am APPALLED at you two. Totally APPALLED!

Don't you just love slipping on a freshly ironed shirt? or getting into a bed made with beautifully ironed sheets?
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I agree absolutely Monna. But I never have time (and I'm not that good at it). So I've outsourced my ironing to a neighbour 2 doors down who likes it (while watching rugby/cricket) and is better and quicker than me. It isn't expensive and she needs the money, so I get the benefit without the stress

I love line-dried laundry too, so am making the most of the weather at the moment. I've just moved my washing line from the front garden (so my knickers are no longer on display to anyone passing by) and also have a double line. It makes me very happy
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 19th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning to all
    Why did you have to mention the ironing ? . Now you have spoilt a perfectly good day as I hate this ironing malarky with a passion. For me it's usually a waste of time because DH likes to hang his 'indoor' clothes on the floor , but he does hang his 'going out' ones in the wardrobe with a bit of persuasion er nagging from me . I too have an ironing mountain to tackle but that's because I try to only iron what we need for a few days. Sorry Monna I feel I've let the side down but I can send some over for you, should you feel the need to punish me and show me how it's done properly
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 19th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 9,616 Thanks
    shanks77
    at this time of night

General comment, not aimed at you burtha ...why do people waste spend so much time ironing?

Often I read posts on OS Board about peoples ironing mountain they must tackle

What exactly are they ironing? And more to the point, WHY?

I iron absolutely nothing, nada, zilch.

OK so work shirts might need ironing, but I never did (I don't own an iron so couldn't even if I was struck on the head and awoke with a desire to iron )..They were washed, then taken straight from the washer, given a good shake to get rid of creases then hung on a coat hanger to dry. Perfect

So what is this thing with ironing..I honestly don't understand it..
    And
    Life is too short to waste days of it on such a pointless (imho) exercise!
    Originally posted by karcher
    Thank you Karcher I am of the same frame of mind as you. I must confess to ironing a work scarf but it was a crumpled mess and I would have been in trouble. However, this was about a year ago and not done any since and have no idea when I had done it before. I have know people who iron socks when I buy tops they must pass the scrunch test and if they don't I don't buy it no matter how lovely, cheap etc.For me life is too short to spend ironing. It's good to meet a like minded soul xx
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 19th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 23,510 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    No Problems monna it has not reached the temperatures there were in Malta yet. I was cold until this heat started.

We never get the heat you get in the south. In a normal year with no heat waves the hottest it ever gets in Bolton is around 18 degrees in August. Only in heat waves does it exceed 20 degrees.

Must get ready we are going to Ald!. We have not been for a big shop since April, so very down on stocks.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 14,097 Posts
    • 131,623 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've never ironed anything for years. Number one son took the iron when he moved out and I somehow never got round to getting another one ..
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th Jun 17, 4:26 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 37,871 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I don't have an iron or hairdryer on the boat, so it's a chore I no longer do. My ex mil used to iron socks, pants, tights, everything.

As for my bedding, it's seersucker, so no ironing needed. I know all this makes me a shout, but heyho, you all k dw that anyway!!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 37,871 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Shout??? That should say slut. Though that word probably isn't allowed
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 4,948 Posts
    • 51,802 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hester I have some seersucker shirts and love them, so cool and of course no ironing needed, but doesn't the bedding leave a pattern on your skin? I'm thinking especially of the pillowcases. If not, I might just have to get some
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th Jun 17, 5:44 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 37,871 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Ivyleaf, they probably do leave a pattern but my face is so wrinkled it doesn't make much difference!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 19th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 23,510 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    We walked to Ald!. It was nearly too much in this heat, i't only about a mile but I had had enough. Will have to go again they had a lot of things missing.

Guess what we are getting fitted tomorrow? Fire Doors!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,948 Posts
    • 51,802 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ivyleaf, they probably do leave a pattern but my face is so wrinkled it doesn't make much difference!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester

Well, I did wonder, because I can feel a pattern on my back when I've been sitting in my chair while wearing one of the said shirts

nursemaggie That sounds very unpleasant! I'm glad you got there and home safely, but it's very annoying that they didn't have a lot of what you needed.
    I'm glad you're getting fire doors, though I hope they won't be too heavy for you to manage.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 11,124 Posts
    • 153,498 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Evening playmates, Phew, it ain't half hot out there!!! (sorry!) what a sizzling couple of days eh? we've been away playing with the daughters and today visiting the latest little pickle of a grandson who is scrumptious (OK I'm biased) and has the most infectious chuckle when you pretend to eat him, we had such fun. Back home now and windows,doors eveything that wull open wide to cool the house as much as is possible. I put the washing out on the line at 5ish and it's bone dry now and it included some really heavy towels, what a day!

I'm glad to see that the heferlump at least is resting and not causing too much havoc (or is he?) but I did see some Zorb Balls at the show we went to and found the Hampster having a practise on the water filled pool chasing unsuspecting children round in circles, he was smiling too which added just a little extra frisson of excitement to their 'go', happily he was sealed in securely enough and the walls of the pool were high enough to not allow him to visit the rest of the show but his technique has improved greatly and there is now at least a 10% chance of him being able to steer it!

Hope you're all faring OK in the heat and hoping we ALL manage to get some sleep in what promises to be a muggy and uncomfortable night, see you tomorrow xxx.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 11,755 Thanks
    karcher
    Thank you Karcher .For me life is too short to spend ironing. It's good to meet a like minded soul xx
    Originally posted by shanks77
    Shanks77 I am so pleased I have a partner in crime..I was beginning to fear the wrath of the Fencers xx

Morning to all
    I too have an ironing mountain to tackle but that's because I try to only iron what we need for a few days.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    nannywindow You have no idea how much I would love to 'vet' your Ironing Kilimanjaro and rid it of no doubt numerous items which have no need what so ever to be subjected to you wielding a dangerous, very hot object at them...Just think what it does to the fibres

I once did that with a friends ironing pile...she'd been bemoaning the hours it would take to do so I rather happily whittled it down for her to half the size..
    She was ironing her very young boys boxer shorts, socks and pj's for goodness sake ..plus much more..eg. Tea Towels?? Just why?.

Whilst wanting to discard their t-shirts and trousers to the non-iron pile, stating it was a waste of time as they'd probably be dirty and wrinkled within 5 minutes of being worn, I did concede to that (against my better judgement I may add) as that was a step too far for her

I'm pleased to report she did after that become more mindful of what actually 'needed' (I use the term loosely as nothing does in my book) ironing and what really didn't...

Her time playing with her young boys was far more important than getting the creases out
    Last edited by karcher; 19-06-2017 at 8:18 PM.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 19th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 39,078 Thanks
    monnagran
    Years ago I had a neighbour who ironed EVERYTHING including the baby 's nappies.
    Mind you, she was weird in other ways as well. She had a rigid routine of housework. If it was the third Wednesday in the month that was the day th e cutlery drawer was cleaned....that sort of thing.
    Funny lady. She was horrified at my haphazard ways. We were not soul-sisters!

I've always thought that seersucker bedding made a lot of sense but I've never actually seen any.

I am about to have a cool shower before trying to sleep. I have had the air con machine on for 2 hours but it is still 29° in my room.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 22,714 Thanks
    MMF007
    My friend got rid of her ironing board within a fortnight of her husband passing on. She said she had given up ironing all her things years before but her DH had shirts he wanted doing!

I iron about twice a year, if that. DH irons his shirts occasionally (wears casuals for his manual job). I don't mind doing it, but maybe that's because it is a novelty!!

I am a home help and was asked to do some ironing. Once! I did a good job but was not very quick. Was never asked again

Just sitting in the garden and it is a lot cooler now. It was 30.5° on my car temp gauge at lunchtime. A bit too hot for housework
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 11,755 Thanks
    karcher
    I think I must be losing the plot or been consigned to the 'naughty step'.

Just now, before my very eyes my post count went down from nearing 1200 to 900 and something! Yes I'm sad that I notice such things , but that was quite a leap and it caught my eye and got me thinking, where did all those posts go?? Nearly 200 of them?

I rarely post outside of O/S so it's a mystery to me why so many of my posts seemed to have vanished into the ether.

Did I do something wrong?
    • burtha
    • By burtha 19th Jun 17, 11:36 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    burtha
    Karcher , don't understand what's going on either , but you would be in good company on the naughty step in here
    I must be the only one who's cold tonight , sitting under a blanket .... 1st night that we haven't had the stove on all year , even this last week it's been on every night ( it does our heating/hot water ) but the house has very think stone walls and is always cold ...
    Anyone who is at a loose end and wants something to do , dh run , if you want to track him you can by following the link on st bees rnli Web page ... would post the link on here but don't know if it's allowed ??
    Hopefully I have managed to pm you silva
    And as for the iron lol , I wash at least 2 loads everyday , 8 or 9 at the weekend ... There is no way I would even start , life is way to short , to many things to do ,if anyone was to judge me for it then it's their hard luck and not my problem
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Jun 17, 6:10 AM
    • 4,844 Posts
    • 69,820 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I iron shirts, some t shirts and some trousers. But I only iron the fronts. Automatically cuts it in half. The backs all seem ok..

I have to do less than an hour a week.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 20th Jun 17, 6:34 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 22,644 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all!

We finally have internet at home, although we do not yet have a working fridge, a bit tedious in this weather but we're making do. Most of the important things are unpacked, but not everything has a home yet.

As for ironing, I don't mind doing it with radio or telly on, but I only do it once every couple of months, it is usually clothes or table cloths. I used to do sheets but years with only a small table top board cured me of that. OH does his work shirts. Sometimes he'll offer to do something of mine. I handed him a shirt Sunday and I'm not really sure which bit the iron touched so I think we're both better off doing our own.

Small house niggles aside, the new location is lovely. We have a couple of trees in the garden and when I've had time I've made forays into the local greengrocer and butcher. We've lovely views from most windows although you usually have to stand/sit at the right angle to get them. I have some work stuff to get on with today--I don't officially start for another couple of months but there are always little things, and then after that I intend to work on unpacking books and identifying the two trees. I think one is an apple--probably crab and the other has some sort of fruit that looks like berries but I'm not sure what it is.

Lunch today is whatever I can scrape together and I think tea is tuna pasta with a squeeze of lemon juice. Our menu of non-perishables isn't very exciting, but it will get us through the week.

Hugs and a cooling breeze to all who need them.x
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 20th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 215,964 Thanks
    greenbee
    Here's hoping it's a cherry tree FPK I'm so glad you love your new home!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,933Users online

Martin's Twitter