PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Elona has got a new home full of repairs to the previous owners bodging, quite a lot frankly unsafe.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • True - one mustnt forget the bodging:cool:. Making out that list as well would take a while (quite a time:cool:).

My sympathies - as I know what its like to think "Just how many more bodges am I going to find - and how much is it going to cost me to sort out this time?:cool::mad:"
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The last house we bought was lived in buy Rodger the Bodger. Yes he really was called Rodger. We had to replace all of his improvements!
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2016 at 10:47AM
    The previous owner also had a son who was a wannabe DJ, so half the kitchen was set up with decks and record storage.

The garden was divided by fences into the dog's area, the washing line area, the working on cars area and the pond area. It's a very small garden, and the pond contained an inch of green water and 4 crisp packets, the dog area contained large quantities off dog faeces. The washing line area, as he explained did not contain a washing line as they were taking it with them, but they were leaving us the hole!

He had also fallen out with all the neighbours and he was so well know in the area that every time we tried to organise a delivery we would be asked 'Isn't that Bennie's house?' We would have to explain that he had moved.

Some people like the milkman refused to deliver to start with. The Argos delivery driver and Sky engineer both knocked on the door and retired to the pavement until we had reassured them that he definitely was no longer around.

We obviously saw this side of him when he came round to demand more money, but he was only about 5'3 and although he was extremely threatening and aggressive I react very badly to bullies and I started to shout back at him.

Fortunately, before he could land a blow, he had raised his fists. My hubby arrived in the doorway behind me armed with a hammer, the carpenter behind him with a saw and the plumber with a length of copper pipe and Bennie ran for it.

He went straight to the police to say we'd been armed and threatened him but as he was known to them and as we were all working on the house we all had a legitimate reason for carrying the 'weapons'.

I rang the police and did my 'I'm a poor defenceless woman' impression, Bennie stupidly claimed that I was wielding a machete, actually it was a tea towel, I don't own a machete and all my kitchen knives were still packed away when the police came. So nothing further was done by the police, we phoned our solicitor so when he phoned her requesting more money she threatened him with a restraining order.

Oh goodness, what an essay.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok Hester, you win :eek: I just read that out to hubby and he was astonished too, said it was funny now, but not a circumstance you'd like to be in.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wow HH, what a horrible person, bet the neighbours were glad when you moved in!

We used to get lots of visitors at our previous house looking for someone but it appears it had been used as some sort of hippy commune for a while!

I really wish I had carried on with the repairs in this house, I'd had enough last year and said I would have the kitchen done later but I seem to have run out of enthusiasm for builders and mess. I'll get round to it soon!
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Good heavens Hester. That Bennie had obviously no idea who he was threatening. People never cease to amaze me. You mean that this character was allowed to have dogs? That is worrying in itself.

The only complaint I ever had from anyone who bought my old home was that after 16 years they were still discovering plastic soldiers buried in flower beds.
    Result of the long, long wars waged by 2 small boys and their friends.

It's chucking it down here and I had better get a move on. I'm being picked up in less than an hour and I'm not up yet.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    I seem to have inherited my mothers talent for attracting the weird and wonderful. My Dad always said if they went in to a pub and he went to the toilet she'd have the local nutter chatting to her by the time he returned.

When I left my ex I moved 4 times in a 12 month, in an effort to hide my tracks
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I finally have a notebook again :j:j:j

My seller has only just collected his fish from the tanks in the garden. The kitchen is now plastered and painted in a nice shade of grey but the only facility I have is a tap, a microwave and an electric lidded frypan for the last week :(

The bodging of the electrics held up the plastering which held up the painting etc. The flooring should go down tomorrow then I hope the units can get started to be installed etc.

It turns out the guy has sued or threatened to sue most of the neighbours and upset a builder who was extending the house a few years ago so much that he turned up to dismantle the extension and they ended up on the local tv news.

Hester

That sounds horrific (both the seller and the ex!).
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    edited 12 June 2016 at 10:57AM
    Elona, my goodness you are going through it, and yes they both were a nightmare, but it's in the past.

Monna, he only had one dog, I missed out an apostrophe and the dog was a very friendly border collie, I expected him to have a yob dog, round here we have staff's, shepherds and rotties that are in the wrong hands as in they tow their owners down the road and the owner thinks it makes them look tough, I just think it makes them look stupid. The dogs are all friendly if a little overenthusiastic. Certain breeds seem to attract a certain sort of person. One neighbour bought an Akita that was both powerful and nasty but he had it put down when it bit him when he tried to get in his own house.
    Chin up, Titus out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport