Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 501
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Jun 17, 10:11 PM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 214,757 Thanks
    greenbee
    That was nearly red wine across the screen!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    You should know by now not to drink while reading this thread...
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 13th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 28,209 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    You should know by now not to drink while reading this thread...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I know but it has been tame (ish) for a few days
    OS Weight Loss 1/10
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,474 Thanks
    silvasava
    My god - its like 'Carry On up the Canal' ooer Missus!
    Can always rely on you lot to lower the tone and give us all a good chuckle. Funny how Hester always seems to figure somewhere........
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 22,488 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Only Hester get into this.....
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think Hester should write her autobiography, it would either become an instant 'best seller' and this years must have book choice or be instantly banned on censorship grounds. It might just raise (along presumably with other things) the morale of the nation and put the stiff upper lip (among other things also) back into the British!!!

I'm currently washing one of the whole sheepskins we got last year in the machine on a short eco wash with some grated household soap. They are looking a bit flattened and 'felted' in areas where we put our feet on them in front of where we sit. Has anyone else washed a sheepskin successfully? if you have what did you do and what are the results like? If these fail completely they'll go on the back of the armchairs in the winter to lean against and I'll save up for some more for the floor.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 214,757 Thanks
    greenbee
    As kids the sheepskins were put in a water trough in the field and then small children were added to trample them clean...

If you used clipped sheepskins on the floor (like the ones you use for babies' bedding or reducing pressure in bed for elderly/bedridden people) then you don't get the felting and they machine wash easily.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Now that sounds like fun specially on a day as hot as this one promises to be! They are not clipped but fairly long stapled so they're just matted a tiny bit where our feet 'rest when we're sat reading. All the advice online says dry them flat and out of sunlight so I'm putting them on the garden table under the umbrella as it's a mesh top and should allow for air flow all round.

The first one seems to have survived the experience without damage but the wool has clumped into 'spiky bits' so I'll have to give it a good brush when it's dry. Luckily I still have Docky dogs grooming brush and that has a side with metal spikes on so it should 'groom' the sheepskins pretty well
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 14-06-2017 at 8:57 AM.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4,789 Posts
    • 50,183 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Sounds as if you got a bit more steering practice than you bargained for Hester, or did the instructor do most of the unexpected extra stuff? (Oh dear, even that sounds somehow a bit dodgy )
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Jun 17, 11:51 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,474 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mrs L - was about to post earlier that the last time I washed one of mine I used one of the cat's brushes to fluff it back up! Worked well
    Off out this afternoon with DS1 and a friend on the boat for a little sail - a bit more instruction for me and familiarization and maybe a cheeky sherbet after (depending how well I've done - if I meet Hester we'll know one of us has made a boo boo!)
    Hope everyone has a good day and gets to enjoy the sunshine
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 36,906 Thanks
    monnagran
    Silvasava. No police chases now! There are only so many jokes one thread can take and I fear we have used up our fair share.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 14th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 14,283 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Thanks for the laughs everybody. They have been a godsend after the past few days. I can always count on you to cheer me up.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 3,471 Posts
    • 39,964 Thanks
    camelot1001
    You lot are nuts!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    karcher
    You lot are nuts!
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    Best way to be at times, especially in such sad times as these..it's the only way you stay sane
    • burtha
    • By burtha 14th Jun 17, 11:09 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    burtha
    You lot are mad .
    But fantastic

X
    • craigwells13
    • By craigwells13 14th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    craigwells13
    Anyone got any advice. I have 5ft fence 5 bays long on a slant down the garden. I've redone the garden so it's on three levels. Now the top level we stand on and can see over a public path into a neighbours garden. Can I put a fence 2m high from my side ground level or 2m path side?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 151,340 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Check with the planning department of your local council to see if there are regulations about fence height in your area. Google might give you the answer but we put in a new slightly higher than the old one garden shed and the house at the back of us complained when the new shed went up, we got a visit from the council planners and were made to move the shed to a position 2 metres from any boundary which cost us a new concrete plinth, a builder to move the shed and more than £500. It cost the neighbours our goodwill and still leaves a nasty taste to this day.

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,474 Thanks
    silvasava
    The maximum our local council will allow is 2m - as MrsL says - check with your local planning dept to be absolutely sure.
    Well the trip on the boat turned into something rather different as a friend invited us to accompany him on his boat back to his home mooring just along the coast - rude not to accept his invitation on a much bigger better equipped vessel! So we spent the afternoon lazily sailing the Solent in a gentle breeze and gorgeous sunshine with the auto helm on ( I did learn how they work though) I did earn my passage as I jumped off the boat to secure the bow line when we moored - it's a hard life As the long range weather report is excellent for next week a little trip to Monna's neck of the woods may be on the cards.......I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Jun 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 36,906 Thanks
    monnagran
    I'll keep mine crossed too Silvasava, and toes and other improbable body parts..
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 214,757 Thanks
    greenbee
    Anyone got any advice. I have 5ft fence 5 bays long on a slant down the garden. I've redone the garden so it's on three levels. Now the top level we stand on and can see over a public path into a neighbours garden. Can I put a fence 2m high from my side ground level or 2m path side?
    Originally posted by craigwells13
    Check on the In my home/DIY board as there are lots of things there about fences. It's a regular topic.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,474 Thanks
    silvasava
    Be sure if it all goes ahead the first thing I'll do Monna is meet you in the Pilot!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin