Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 499
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Jun 17, 10:30 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 35,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    I agree with burtha, don't hesitate to ring the police if it happens again. You said that you didn't know how he got into the building. Perhaps tomorrow you could find out if a door that is meant to be locked was left open, and why.
    You need to feel secure.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    karcher
    Hope all is well this morning nursemaggie and you had no more disturbances during the night.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 49,451 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I hope you're ok nursemaggie and were able to get some sleep xx
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Jun 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 21,989 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes it all went quiet and I have heard nothing else.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 35,860 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I'm glad it quietened down for you NM.

I managed to buy the fabric for the boat curtains and hatch quilts yesterday.
    The tiles in the kitchen and around the multifuel stove are Wedgewood blue and cream, I found some fabric the same colour with little white spots on for the living/dining area and some in a paler shade with white stars on to make the bedroom curtains and dirty washing bag that will hang in the bathroom.

I bought 2 inch header tape as I think 3 inch will be too big for such small curtains, I will line then with blackout lining to help CHS sleep.

All I need now is to feel better and have the time to make them.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 11-06-2017 at 6:52 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 11th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,758 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Good morning all

Hester it shouldn't be any surprise you have caught one of the bugs going around. You have been rushing around and chasing your tail for weeks now, thank goodness you have almost finished. Take care of yourself.

I love the fabric you bought, you know we will want to see photos once the curtains are made and hanging, but firstly get yourself well

Candlelightx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 49,451 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Glad all went quiet nursemaggie.

Hester that's going to look really pretty
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 35,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hester, that material sounds lovely, that boat is going to look so attractive.

Corset ( I actually typed COSSET but it is up to you ) yourself and rest as much as you can. You are more than overdue for a bit of R&R. Lemon and honey with a tot of something if you fancy it, or some paracetamol if you want to be abstemious, is the way to go.

Not much longer now, just get to the end of term. In September you will be on the countdown and demon happy, (sigh.......DEMOB) and nothing will upset you because it will all be so unimportant.

Happy days.

x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 49,451 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh dear monnagran, sorry your tablet is so frustrating to use sometimes! But at least it gives us a much-needed chuckle
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 35,860 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I always wanted a purple suede corset but could not afford one, so I settled for satin, one red the other black.
    I've had a lazy day today, apart from cooking a meal for us I've mainly been making curtains and doing some crochet.
    CHS knows I'm really feeling rough as I'm not in the mood for nookie, it takes a lot to put me off that!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • elona
    • By elona 11th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 11,062 Posts
    • 58,017 Thanks
    elona
    Hester

Now there is an incentive to spoil you
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 11th Jun 17, 11:41 PM
    • 25,527 Posts
    • 103,185 Thanks
    candygirl
    I always wanted a purple suede corset but could not afford one, so I settled for satin, one red the other black.
    I've had a lazy day today, apart from cooking a meal for us I've mainly been making curtains and doing some crochet.
    CHS knows I'm really feeling rough as I'm not in the mood for nookie, it takes a lot to put me off that!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Bl**** Hell.You must be ill! Seriously though, get well asap hun x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 49,451 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hope you're on the mend Hester x

monnagran Thinking of you a lot at this time. Have any more possible homes come onto the market? Are you still dogminder-in-chief, or are the family back? (Apologies if that should be "IS the family back"; one of those points of grammar I always find confusing!)
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 13-06-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 13th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 3,126 Thanks
    juliettet
    Hester,

I now have another unsightly coffee stain on my blouse and due to go in to take minutes in a high faluting bl**dy meeting. Please post a might laugh warning!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 35,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ivyleaf: Thank you for thinking of me. Yes the family is back, (collective noun, if I remember correctly!) and life has reverted to its usual mayhem, but, thankfully, it is a mayhem that I am not responsible for. (Never end a sentence with a preposition. Ho hum.)

The housing situation seems to change frequently. As from now the family are moving out at the end of the month and renting a small bungalow in the village - small but hideously expensive and what they are going to do with all their stuff I can't possibly imagine.
    I will be camping out in my, hopefully, empty house until it is sold.
    I don't think that is going to be soon as prospective buyers seem to be thin on the ground. We have only had the one who made the offer and since then nothing. The house next door to us also went up for sale at the same time as ours and they have had no viewers at all.
    I have stopped looking for bungalows until there is some prospect of being in a position to buy one.

I feel quite calm about the whole thing although financially it is a bit hairy as all my money is tied up in the house. Still, if there is one thing I can do it is squeezing a budget until it squeaks. Plenty of practice through the years.

It's so kind of you to be interested. x
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    karcher
    Wishing you lots of luck with selling soon Monna.

I imagine the family moving out will be a double edged sword as whilst you'll no doubt enjoy your space, you'll miss them too.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,723 Posts
    • 49,451 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    monnagran There's a very nice lady who posts on the Daily Thread, jackieO, she and her daughter's family have decided they want to move to the Island when her youngest grandson finishes school (they go there every summer). Your house might be ideal for them, but they have a few years to wait as the grandson in question is only 13 at present.

Mind you, I think they may be planning to look for somewhere with a "granny annexe" (awful expression, sorry).
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Jun 17, 5:52 PM
    • 13,908 Posts
    • 129,165 Thanks
    mardatha
    Monna, I can see you running a really wacky guest house with various odd tenants in all the rooms.
    And I'd really love to know what you usually type if your tablet wants to say corsets and demons..
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Jun 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 35,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mar, don't blame me! I've told you before that my tablet has a mind of its own, and a pretty murky one at that. Me? I'm as pure as the driven snow. Honestly.
    As for a guest house, wacky or not it would be pretty primitive. The guests would have to spread their sleeping bags on the empty bedroom floors, take it in turns to use the two mugs, two plates, knives and forks, and I don't think they would be queuing round the block.

Ivyleaf. I've already tapped up JackieO but she advised me that I was 5 years too early. We have seen 2 or 3 houses with a granny annexe as DS2 and DIL were quite keen to "look after me." They were grim.

Karcher. You are absolutely right, I will enjoy the peace and quiet. As for missing them.....well, I suppose in a way I will but they won't be far away. Just far enough for me to miss the daily dramas. When you get to my age, sharing a house with two loony dogs and a 4 year old prima donna takes some doing. I will still see enough of them to maintain that precious grandmotherly bond but I will look forward to seeing them instead of inwardly groaning at times.

x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th Jun 17, 7:35 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 35,860 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Monna, but not my legs as I'm feeling better today.

So today I went on a helmsman's course to learn how to steer the boat without bouncing off every other boat in a 5 mile radius.

I was learning in a widebeam, pics here http://www.myrivercruising.com/our-boats/boat-geanna-river-thames/.

True to form nothing went to plan and we ended up involved in a police chase!!

We were turning in huge circles at one point, collecting police officers from one side of the river and transporting them to the other side!

I also managed to negotiate a few bridges and got in and out of a lock.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

8,492Users online

Martin's Twitter