Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 497
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 8th Jun 17, 12:10 PM
    • 25,469 Posts
    • 102,759 Thanks
    candygirl
    Good luck in your new home FPk, and I hope you have nice neighbours

Thinking of you this morning nursemaggie.

monnagran
    Oh dear, you're certainly being kept busy while the family's away Sorry the bungalow wasn't suitable.

Well, it's polling day (again) and I still don't know who to vote for
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Ooh dya want me to tell you?Only kidding
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Jun 17, 12:20 PM
    • 13,787 Posts
    • 127,497 Thanks
    mardatha
    Won't help us up here any. Whatever we vote is a waste of time - we get whatever govt you lot down there vote in!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Jun 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 47,290 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ooh dya want me to tell you?Only kidding
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Thanks candygirl but I've done it now, using the handy guide I noticed on MSE only this morning - I went for the party whose policies are best for our family, as I couldn't decide whose were best for the country as a whole.

Sorry mar - We're not able to vote for the SNP!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 21,413 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Gosh I'm exhausted. I've run out of newspapers yet again. OH was able to bring loads home from work and we've been saving the weekly circular but this morning I hat to trot off to the shops and weigh up which paper had the best stuffing to price ratio. Hopefully OH will find some more at work. I've also made loads of sandwiches for lunch tomorrow and Saturday, cleared (but not yet cleaned) the fridge and have most of the cupboards empty. OH has had something come up so won't be leaving work for a bit yet so I decided to treat myself to a sit down and a bit of ice cream. Purely restorative, you see .

I've also been measuring and sketching out our largest pieces of furniture. I'm not quite sure where a couple of things will fit so I'll get these cut out and take the tap measure tonight and draw off the room shapes and we can have a play and then be well placed to direct the big and strongs on Saturday.

I must confess that about an hour ago I had that old familiar feeling 'I'm never moving again.' Then I remembered that the next time we move it might be because we've bought or are very close to buying a house of our own and that cheered me up. I still needed the ice cream though.

Oh Floss there will be lots of weeding. Ivy, I hope they're nice too...or at least quiet about anything else!

I must also confess I've been avoiding the election news. I'm sure I'll hear the results in good time tomorrow.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 47,453 Thanks
    silvasava
    Ivyleaf - thanks for the tip about the MSE guide - at least its confirmed my decision!
    I dont think I'll be watching much TV tonight - I get so irritated by all these 'forecasters' of many ilks whose opinion doesnt add anything to the result!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 33,766 Thanks
    monnagran
    FairyP in case I'm too distracted tomorrow, all the best for Saturday. I have moved 7 times in the last 25 years so my heart goes out to you. You will have a moment when the big and strongs have departed when you think, "what have we done?"and if you are anything like me you will survey the chaos and think, "I want to go home." It will pass.

Be happy. x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,329 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I am back from the Christie. My cancer is not all gone but it is shrinking. I will be having another scan in 3 months. Hopefully it will be clear then.

Hope all goes well for you Saturday FPK. I hope you will be very happy in the country.

My thoughts are with you all who are moving.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 33,766 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh nursemaggie, that is encouraging. You must feel so relieved. Let's hope and pray that things go on improving for you, you have more than earned a respite from worry. Sleep better tonight. x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 47,453 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Nursemaggie - small victories! xxxxx
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    Floss
    NurseMaggie great news!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 21,329 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Thank you I felt better as soon as I heard the results. Going to get an early night now.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 7,867 Thanks
    karcher
    I am back from the Christie. My cancer is not all gone but it is shrinking. I will be having another scan in 3 months. Hopefully it will be clear then.

Hope all goes well for you Saturday FPK. I hope you will be very happy in the country.

My thoughts are with you all who are moving.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    Good news NM. Fingers crossed for you x
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 8th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 21,413 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Oh NurseMaggie what good news. I had to login just to say. I'll be hoping for you for the next three months.x
    • karcher
    • By karcher 8th Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 7,867 Thanks
    karcher
    FairyP in case I'm too distracted tomorrow, all the best for Saturday. I have moved 7 times in the last 25 years so my heart goes out to you. You will have a moment when the big and strongs have departed when you think, "what have we done?"and if you are anything like me you will survey the chaos and think, "I want to go home." It will pass.

Be happy. x
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Interesting one Monna.

Where is home?

For me it was the second home I lived in as a child for 10 years (just around the corner from the first). I never understood why we moved at the time, then as the years passed it became apparent it was a huge mistake.

Many decades later, I don't think I'll ever be able to call anywhere 'home'.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    Floss
    Interesting one Monna.

Where is home?

For me it was the second home I lived in as a child for 10 years (just around the corner from the first). I never understood why we moved at the time, then as the years passed it became apparent it was a huge mistake.

Many decades later, I don't think I'll ever be able to call anywhere 'home'.
    Originally posted by karcher
    I called the town I lived in for 31 years home, until I had been in my present town for about 2 years as by then I was settled and so were my kids.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 8th Jun 17, 11:33 PM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 27,154 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Brilliant news NurseMaggie!

Hmm home? for me either here or Hale, Altrincham - my parents lived in the latter for almost 40 years - I have lived here for the longest time as a permanent resident! (for years I was 6 months here, then 3 months there and so on!)
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Jun 17, 6:22 AM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 38,173 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Great news nursemaggie.

Hope you'll be very happy in your new home FPK, once the stresses of moving have gone!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 9th Jun 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 21,413 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Where is home is a good question. Similar to Monna, by the time I was 23 I'd moved 27 times. That has slowed down in the past decade, with 8 of those years spent in Manchester (in 3 different locations but still, the same city!). But, I do know what Monna means. I spent a good part of my mid to late 20s homesick for a place I couldn't identify. Turns out, home is where you build it. But, I do understand that for many people particular places have a strong tie. OH never seems to feel 'at home' in rented houses, but he grew up his whole life in the same house. It is a funny thing, isn't it?

As I type this some of the neighbors are having another row, this time throwing their crockery out the door. I wonder if we'll get bored on the new road??
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 47,290 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Throwing crockery?

Home for me is Scotland, I think. I only lived there for a couple of years, so it must be to do with the circumstances and the age I was when we lived there. I feel very comfortable there when we go up to visit friends.
    We moved a lot when OH was in the army, but we've lived in our current house for 33 years - but we both agree it doesn't feel like home to us even after all this time. It's just the house where we live. Strange, after so many years.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 851 Posts
    • 14,398 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I lurk on this thread, usually, as it's so inspiring.

Home, for me, is either the town I grew up in (North Netherlands) or 'England'. Yeah... I'm in Belgium at the moment and have been for 9 years in 3 different houses. I think I'm transnational, you know, similar to transgender: born in the wrong country I've lived in England for a few short stints and absolutely loved it.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6108,54= £ 5363.66
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,524Users online

Martin's Twitter