Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 487
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th May 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 11,023 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Ivyleaf It's a white gel formula which wobbles in the clear dispenser .
    You only need a very small amount , it turns to liquid when applied and isn't sticky applied sparingly . Scent is fairly neutral .
    DD also has eczema , frequent skin infections due to the lowered immune system and dry skin . It really makes a difference and can be used before showering etc . It makes a great moisturiser too .
    The small size is in a tube .
    Our GP has it on permanent prescription as he is doing shared care for the main consultant and is minimising infection risk .
    DD is entitled to claim free prescriptions but we never have , I've been buying an annual PPC since she became old enough to no longer get free prescriptions ,
    Many people have far greater need of exemption for meds than us so that money remains in the Nhs pot for them .

I'm still catching up . Six hours of our lives dd and I will never get back and still no appointment . DD challenged her be brave little piglet and took over and was still being put through to wrong departments and being sent back to the main switchboard .
    Monday 1pm will be start again and hope something is sorted by 7pm . Good job it's a landline number !

Later
    polly x
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 19th May 17, 11:11 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 42,106 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    All this talk of moving spurs me on to de-clutter. I am happy to say the loft is all but empty since we had the house modernised by the landlord. Hubby still had football kits up there from when he ran kids teams 40 years ago!

DD is moving soon as possible as her and her OH are splitting up - quite a relief to be honest. He isn't a bad bloke but was dragged up without much emotion and is not very helpful. Hopefully it will be an amicable split. The peace in the house when he works away is amazing. She has so much to cope with due to Dgs and Daddy isn't very supportive. Realistically we do most of the support and that's not from forcing it but from necessity.

Hubby has been very poorly this week, yet another infection so he has been in bed mostly so I have become stir crazy. Luckily I have plenty to do and of course Dgd is here 2 days a week though the logistics of getting her to and from has been difficult. My arthritis has been bad and with only one working arm pushing a buggy a couple of miles left me exhausted. I had a good rest though and soon recovered.

I will be buying a new cooker next week, at last, and am so looking forward to having 4 rings working simple pleasures. Also an oven that reaches a proper temperature to follow recipes sounds good

Right off to bed and read a good book, if I have one left after all the de-cluttering.
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 19th May 17, 11:42 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 21,540 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well we did not get a nice day it was very cloudy all day. So even old folk law is not true any more. Was the red sky another "alternative fact"?

Polly I do hope you get an appointment for your DD on Monday.

No monna I am not all packed. No where to put my case once it is packed it will fall of the top of the pile in DS's room. My chest of draws if covered with bits and pieces to pack and GDS's birthday present is on the coffee table waiting to be wrapped.

I have my Euros, and I finally got some white felt for the eyes on the dead fish hats so I can finish them off tonight. I have ended up having to buy a pack of 6 sheets of felt all different colours, hopefully DD will find a use for them. The good news is I manged to get some in a pound shop so only cost me £1.

mcculloch can't you take the stuff that was not so good to a charity shop. Someone will find a use for them I am sure.

Lyn Good luck with sorting everything out ready for selling. One great think about always being on the move is you never accumulate much. You are bound to have a lot to sort.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 20th May 17, 1:43 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 9,290 Thanks
    shanks77
    Welcome to Kim look forward to getting to know you xx
    McCulloch fingers crossed for you
    Nursemaggie hope you have a lovely time
    Monna hoping the right house comes up for you soon
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th May 17, 8:13 AM
    • 10,637 Posts
    • 148,031 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    My word, we're not only going to fill the car but also the trailer!!! I'm having to play stepping stones across the store room floor as there are so many boxes of stuff to go! My walking pal Sue is also setting up a stall next to ours so I can flip between the two if things get busy as they have sold their house already and are looking to move to Cornwall and she also has many extra to needs possessions to dispose of. Should be fun with all of us there to play with Joe Public and as she says 'sell it for what you can get because all I want is to NOT take it home again!' which is a sound philosophy and usually great fun!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 20th May 17, 8:15 AM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 48,526 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Good morning everyone! Lovely day here so far. I woke quite early so thought I might as well get up.

((HUGS)) ginnyknit, I hope your arthritis improves today and that mr ginnyknit does likewise. What a stressful time you've been having - I hope things calm down for you and that all will go well for your DD.

Hester What a rotten thing for work to do to CHS, sounds entirely typical though

Lyn Somehow I managed to miss that you're doing a bootsale or similar, good luck!

Just watching Trump in Saudi Arabia, goodness knows who he'll upset while he's there
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th May 17, 8:46 AM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,785 Thanks
    mcculloch29

mcculloch can't you take the stuff that was not so good to a charity shop. Someone will find a use for them I am sure.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    Strictly speaking we are not supposed to dispose of anything Amazon send us to review, as they may be trial versions of a product. After six months though, ownership does pass to us, in theory.
    Until the six months is up Amazon can recall items if they wish. Sometimes - and it's never happened to me - there will be a safety recall on an item.
    Proof copies of books have to go in the recycling eventually, but not every book sent to me to review is a proof copy, some are the final published article. Cookbooks are usually the finished thing, as most proof copies don't have illustrations and illustrations are sooo important.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 21st May 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 38,791 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Happy Holidays nursemaggie.
    Good luck with the de-cluttering Mrs LW, have you found anywhere yet?
    Welcome Kim, lovely bunch on here.

Our run of sunshine seems to have come to an end, very showery for the last few days.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st May 17, 10:02 AM
    • 11,989 Posts
    • 213,750 Thanks
    greenbee
    vitamin B and garlic apparently repel them...
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 21st May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 48,526 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    vitamin B and garlic apparently repel them...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    What do they repel, greenbee?

Only one more sleep nursemaggie!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st May 17, 2:32 PM
    • 11,989 Posts
    • 213,750 Thanks
    greenbee
    What do they repel, greenbee?
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    Biting things
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 21st May 17, 2:44 PM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 48,526 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ah, i just caught up with the prepping thread and wondered if you'd meant to post this over there
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 21st May 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 11,023 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Quick one from me . I may be back later .
    I just want to wish NM a good journey , lots of fun with her loved ones and as much sun and warmth as she'd like .
    The journey will be tiring but if you get a chance to recharge your batteries and lift your spirits whilst abroad it will be worth the travel involved .
    I must say I had a little grin the other day at your mention of the weather for the following day . Over on the coast I had the heavy horrible cloud you had and it's pretty well continued in similar vein .
    Have you ever heard the Manchester song by The Beautiful South ?
    I'm not in GM but the first time I heard that I cried laughing as Paul Heaton was singing for us all up here
    I listen to it often , the number of storms we've had in the last few years don't seems bad if you can listen to that and laugh .
    " If Rain makes Britain Great , Manchester is Greater " says it all for the region and the rest of us up here .

Still sending positive vibes for all those needing them including McC, Ginny and Hester and everyone else .

May get back later today . Have a good day all who can .
    polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st May 17, 5:07 PM
    • 10,637 Posts
    • 148,031 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We had a really good boot fair and sold about 2/3 of what we took. What's left will be put in the clothing and book banks here in the village and be offered to a charity shop if they'll take it and we've made a substantial sum towards the new dining table I've got my eye on. The store room has a floor again, the hall isn't full of boxes and we're absolutely shattered but very happy!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 11,989 Posts
    • 213,750 Thanks
    greenbee
    Ah, i just caught up with the prepping thread and wondered if you'd meant to post this over there
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    oops....
    • burtha
    • By burtha 22nd May 17, 1:16 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 4,963 Thanks
    burtha
    Hi all,
    So glad all the normal madness has being going on here,hope the elephant is safe and hasn't fell into the stuff going to the car boot sale , or lost on a boat trip or hidden within nursemaggie suitcase ....
    Hello to Kim .

So need to get back to normal after probably the worse few weeks ever , doing stuff I never thought I would ever have to do and no parent should every have to . Don't sometimes you just wonder why and please give me/us a break !
    So now slowly building back up and trying to hold everything / everyone together ...

Now pass the biscuits along please ... xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd May 17, 6:43 AM
    • 10,637 Posts
    • 148,031 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi Burtha, biscuits duly passed and a bucket of tea! We've had the chicken pox (well that Zebra has) and are now watching Oreo closely because he's almost certain to join in! We were busy yesterday with the first of several boot fair visits to shed some surplus possessions and spent most of the day outside in the fresh air and as a result slept very well last night. I wish I could say the house looked less full but at least I can see some of the floor in the store room again. I'm going to have to be firm with myself and let things go, two in a household really don't need to have enough of everything for 10 ! I hope we'll get the oven up and running again today we've had hob/salad meals since Friday and I have a real yearning for jacket potatoes for supper tonight. The one day service for the broken part didn't deliver on Friday so I'm hoping it will arrive today. Quieter day today and possibly a trip into town on the bus for some odds and ends that we need and a Cookie walk at lunchtime with some time to sit in the garden in the sunshine later in the afternoon with a pot of tea, ah bliss!!!

• Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 22nd May 17, 6:51 AM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 34,910 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Hugs Burtha, take care of yourself.
    Good luck with the decluttering Mrs LW.
    Boat painting and decluttering going on here.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 22nd May 17, 9:15 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 34,538 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ouch burtha! You've obviously been going through one of those times that you will look back on in years to come and wonder how you ever survived it. But look! Here you are, alive, (just) and kicking, (hopefully smeone's rear end, very hard.) Nice to see you again. Have a chocolate digestive.

Hester: don't forget, pace yourself.

I have deliberately not mentioned the weather as we seem to have come off better than anyone else. The terrible rain and hail that Silvasava had, not a million miles from here, took place while I was sitting in the garden sunning myself. DS2 was working in a garden a 10 minute stroll from here and had to give up because of torrential rain. He returned home to find me reading in the sunlit garden, not a drop of moisture anywhere. I told him that it was because I was such a good and righteous person, the sun would always shine on me. I distinctly heard him mutter something about cauldrons and broomsticks.

However, it looks like a heatwave for this week. Where are my summer clothes? Packed up in my friend's garage, that's where.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 22nd May 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,644 Posts
    • 48,526 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    (((burtha))) It's obviously been something very very bad I wish I was near enough to give you some real hugs. Thinking of you xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin