Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 486
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 18th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Hi all, I thought times were tough last year but financially they just got tougher.
    Do you mind if I grab a cuppa and a hobnob (cant afford those so a rich tea) and join you guys?
    I have holey slippers and I fall asleep around 9pm, but other wise I can be quite Jolly xx
    Single Momma, Member of £1000 Emergency fund Club Check out my Debt Free Diary
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th May 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 11,150 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Welcome to the Fence Kim. I hope you don't mind me shortening your user name - it's pacing when you have arthritic fingers .
    Don't forget Twinks hobnobs recipe . Famous across the threads .
    I trust the babies are of different ages no wonder you fall asleep early !
    Feel free to ask questions and we'll see if we can help you feel less overwhelmed.
    We have been bimbling along in the last few weeks and we so need to do what the threads do best which is to listen , support and suggest various solutions to rhose struggling . There is always some chat and laughs along the way too.
    So it's an update on the old garden fences where neighbours shared the good and bad times and set things to rights .
    Sleep well
    polly
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 18th May 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 21,585 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Welcome kim. I expect you are asleep now.

Well Polly looks like we will have a nice day tomorrow here in Lancashire we have a lovely rd sky. I have not seen many of those since I moved here.

Not done much but knit today as I am still exhausted from the last two days.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 128,288 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've had 2 good days gardening, really pleased at catching up for lost time. I don't do visualisations as such but I do send positive vibes and healing.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 11:45 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,794 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Positive vibes would be welcome here. I have a new job opportunity emerging that is most needed. I am a freelance tutor and training consultant and the major job that I have done for the last seven years looks like petering out.

Mar, another heads up for the healing powers of Manuka honey from here.
    Hester, how frustrating for you, spending precious time arranging for things to go, only to be let down. What is it with people?

Nursemaggie, we had a glorious red sunset here in County Durham too. Wonderful.
    I was a fan of When The Boat Comes In as a teenager long before it even crossed my mind that I would live in the NE one day. The town I live in has a road called Sid Chaplin Drive, after the local writer who wrote so many of the episodes of that great programme.

I have had some wonderful things this week to ease a few worries. Birthday Amazon vouchers will buy me shoes for the summer, an unexpected payment landed in my account, and I have £25 of grocery vouchers, so free shopping on a couple of trips coming up.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th May 17, 7:06 AM
    • 2,972 Posts
    • 34,971 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Welcome Kim
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 19th May 17, 7:18 AM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 34,639 Thanks
    monnagran
    Welcome Kim. Holey slippers are just the best, well loved, well worn and well comfy. Mine are well chewed. We have a Dalmation puppy, who didn't stop at slippers, she also had a go at one winter boot, one new shoe bought for walking and for pudding ate one of my favourite turquoise ballerinas. Come back Cruella, all is forgiven.

All this talk of old dramas has me drooling. I was 21 before I had access to a TV and enjoyed Dixon of Dock Green.
    I really love old dramas, old comedy programmes and old black and white films. I tell you, when I think I must be going deaf because I have to turn the sound up and still can't catch what people are saying, I only have to turn on one of these vintage programmes and I can turn the sound back down and hear every word.
    As for Geordies.............Robson Green........sigh.

Pollyanna, no luck yet on the house front,but I wonder afresh at estate agents camera angles. How on earth they make a cupboard sized kitchen look like a ballroom beats me. I can visualise myself in my bungalow but nothing has materialised yet. Any way, we have had very little interest in my house. I feel I should copy the couple who bought a large advertising space in their local paper and wrote their own advertisement, beginning with large black words saying, "DO NOT BUY THIS AWFUL HOUSE."
    They sold within a week.

nursemaggie, are you all packed and ready. I hope you have a really lovely holiday and the journey goes smoothly. If anyone deserves a break it's you.

Hester, you will have muscles like Popeye by the time you have finished heaving boxes and furniture about. Not to mention tons of paper. Hoping all goes well with getting rid of the last of your stuff. I wish I lived closer.

mcculloch, good luck on the work front. I do hope something turns up soon.

Mar. Pace yourself girl. It's lovely to hear you sounding so positive but don't overdo it. Lots of healing vibes for the RV.

I have nothing much on today apart from a visit to the cash and carry. A chance to replenish our stock of toilet rolls. I don't know what this family does with them. They disappear like snow in summer.
    Perhaps Dora is eating them.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 48,424 Thanks
    silvasava
    Welcome to the thread Kim. I'm echoing positive vibes all round at the moment as so many seem to be in need.
    Monna I sat and watched Passport to Pimlico last week - took me right back to my childhood with the bomb sites and the fashions and the clear diction!
    I've a penchant for craggy men too - liked the guy in a series called Longmire (American) Jack Reacher in my imagination was perfect but sorry Tom Cruise you didn't cut the mustard!
    Just a bimble day today so hope everyone gets some sunshine and has a positive day xx
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th May 17, 8:23 AM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 148,276 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're contemplating a house move to be closer to the girls and I'm looking round the house and just beginning to realise just how much I've accumulated over the past 23 years since we moved here. I'm going to have to do a MEGA sort out and re home an awful lot of things. Part of today will be sorting things we've sat on for years and not used but kept because they might be useful 'one day' with a view to going to sell at a boot fair and taking a big black sack up to the store room with a view to sending the many jam jars and storage containers (mostly from 5 litre packs of vinegar etc.) to the recycling depot and another one for complete discards to go to the tip. I may be a while....... quite a while.......
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 3,661 Posts
    • 28,299 Thanks
    Floss
    We're contemplating a house move to be closer to the girls and I'm looking round the house and just beginning to realise just how much I've accumulated over the past 23 years since we moved here. I'm going to have to do a MEGA sort out and re home an awful lot of things. Part of today will be sorting things we've sat on for years and not used but kept because they might be useful 'one day' with a view to going to sell at a boot fair and taking a big black sack up to the store room with a view to sending the many jam jars and storage containers (mostly from 5 litre packs of vinegar etc.) to the recycling depot and another one for complete discards to go to the tip. I may be a while....... quite a while.......
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Why not pop onto the KonMari thread? The first few posts may help your task...
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th May 17, 9:08 AM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 128,288 Thanks
    mardatha
    I don't hang onto stuff at all but the loft is doing my head in..the RV has for 30 years heaved everything up there that doesn't get used. I keep saying that when we die, the family is going to have to heave the bloody stuff back down again! it's so annoying.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th May 17, 9:34 AM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 148,276 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Ah! the loft.....well yes, the loft????? I don't know exactly what IS up there in total, just a whole collection of toys the girls have never been able to part with and a fairly large rocking horse and the baby equipment for the new crop as well as assorted 'things' in boxes, another day perhaps???
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th May 17, 9:40 AM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 48,592 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Mardatha I suggested to mr ivyleaf the other day that he try to imagine what he'd keep if we were moving to a one-bedroomed flat I think it's given him food for thought! I hope it has anyway.

Hester Best wishes to your friend.

mcculloch Wishing you well on the new job front.

kimplus8 Welcome to the thread

monnagran Thinking of you. It's no good anyway someone wanting to buy your house if you haven't found anywhere you want to move to....

nursemaggie Only three more sleeps

Aaagh, I have itchy dermatitis on my face and neck for no apparent reason. I thought it might be due to a new night cream I'd bought in an attempt to look a bit less haggard in the mornings, so I stopped using it, but I still have the dermatitis. The doc suggested hydrocortisone cream, so I bought some but don't like using it, and even my trusty Moogoo Irritable Skin Balm isn't working as well as usual. At the moment I've put Eurax cream on it but I don't like the smell of it! Oh well, worse things happen. I just hope I can stop wanting to scratch my face.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 48,592 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ah! the loft.....well yes, the loft????? I don't know exactly what IS up there in total, just a whole collection of toys the girls have never been able to part with and a fairly large rocking horse and the baby equipment for the new crop as well as assorted 'things' in boxes, another day perhaps???
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Lyn We found some months ago that we still had the set of wheels from the carrycot the girls had used as babies They are 42 and 40 now, and I sold the carrycot when the younger one grew out of it (the buyer didn't want the wheels.). OH had carefully packed the wheels and brought them back from Germany all those years ago!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th May 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 11,150 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Ivyleaf Have you ever tried Doublebase Gel ?
    DD and I both have psoriatic arthritis . I don't get the rash much but dd has the rash badly on various parts of her body . Her foot was badly damaged by a surgical procedure and flares constantly .
    After trying various treatments our GP prescribed the 500g Doublebase which is the best thing we've tried .
    You wont need that size . It used to be on sale from the pharmacy in smaller sizes worth checking .
    She reacts to many things but not that one.

I've just logged in so will read back and be back in a while .
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th May 17, 11:07 AM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 11,150 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Should have gone to Specsavers!
    Monna
    I have scanned through and read the last paragraph of your post thus " I have nothing on today apart from a vest " I thought you'd finally lost the plot .
    I'm one of those who watch Sarah Beeney and others staging and selling houses . In their words you need a USP unique selling point . I know you can do unique with bells on but can you think of something less quirky to suit .
    Failing that get both dogs to keep digging down rapidly in the garden and make your way down under in the style of Colditz . Softstuff will save you x
    polly

I'm having security messages this morning from Malwarebytes . I keep having to turn the protection back on so will be posting randomly today .
    I really hope it isn't going to be a repeat of the cyber attack a week ago . The family techie works on IT systems in a nearby trust says they on alert today .

Finally received a phone message late yesterday that the appointments line is finally opening at 1pm this afternoon for the first time and to contact them to rearrange dds appt which could not go ahead this week .
    Send the vibes etc . I could be on the landline for many hours waiting my turn as nothing happened there since early afternoon last Friday .
    polly x

Terrible typos in this post . No energy to edit ,
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th May 17, 6:07 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 48,592 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ooh thanks pollyanna - I do have some Diprobase (so slightly different) cream which I use on the leg that has lymphoedema, and I've heard of doublebase cream but didn't know they did a gel. I'll ask at the pharmacy, as our health authority doesn't allow prescriptions for "emollients".

ETA Just read your other post just above - I hope you were able to get through on the appointments line.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 19-05-2017 at 6:09 PM.
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 19th May 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,756 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Lyn that sounds really exciting, does that mean you might be nearer to me.?

The girls (and the little boys) will be so pleased to have Oma and Opa much closer to them, I hope you find a lovely home for you both.

Much love

Candlelightx
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th May 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,972 Posts
    • 34,971 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    My loft is empty, there is no ladder to it so I banned everyone from putting stuff up there.

I'm sat here thoroughly hacked off, the car is packed, DGD is getting tired, CHS was due to finish work at 8 and has just been told that someone wants to work until 10 and CHS is expected to stay on until then. He told them that overtime is not compulsory and that his hours can't just be altered with so little notice, it's inconsiderate and unprofessional.
    I don't have enough bedding to put DGD to bed, so she will just have to sit it out.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 19th May 17, 7:23 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,794 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Thanks all for your good wishes and welcome, Kim. I have an online test to complete for the new job opportunity. Whilst the matrix may be new to me, there is excellent online guidance from the company and the actual content of the test is something I have been doing for donkey's years in a different format. That's very encouraging.

I know my ultimate destination will be somewhere small and have one or two bedrooms. I'm in a 3 bed 1960s terraced townhouse, that contrarily, is right on the edge of countryside.
    Currently I have an empty attic as I can't access it, but everything that would probably be in the attic is in my spare bedroom, my home office and my outhouse. A lot of it is stuff Am@zon sent me to review that proved to be less than useful.
    I am so lucky, Mrs LW, although all my lovely extended family are far away, DD and DS are in nearby towns. The North East is my home now. I have bouts of homesickness for Wales at times, but that's the joy of the internet, I can follow the news and events from what I still think of as my "proper home" so easily.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,065Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin