Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 485
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 39,359 Thanks
    camelot1001
    We have had a day of rain here - first for a fortnight, the grass is getting greener by the minute. Can't remember it being so dry so early in the year.

I have lit the stove as it feels really chilly, having a relaxing evening - I may test the limencello I have just bottled, there was some left over from bottling and it would be a shame to pour it away!
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 13th May 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 13,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Camelot My garden is enjoying the rain. Met up with Gers for coffee at Waitrose finally. Great to meet in person. I'll be up your way on Monday - diving the A-Frames outside Faslane.

I'll be passing through Balloch if you are around Monday pm?
    *** Debt Free***
    NST July - 3/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1,857/£3,500, 53/58% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th May 17, 10:12 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 49,431 Thanks
    silvasava
    Day went really well - sun came out, the sea was blue and the wind was light! Lots of visitors to the club having a go on kayaks, dinghies, ribs and stand up paddle boards. Such a lovely day to showcase our little club. Of course I'd not expected it to warm up so much so spent the day looking like a beetroot! One of the nicest things was my ex neighbour brought her grandsons, the elder one had a great time on the kayaks and the baby got stripped to the buff and had a play in the water (his mum was there holding him) he just gurgled and chuckled and totally charmed everyone.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th May 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 21,989 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Glad you had a good day silva.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 39,359 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Sounds like a good day silva.

I've sent you a pm FBO.

The rain has stopped but there are some threatening clouds out there, in between times the sun is shining so washing has gone on the line.
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 14th May 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 13,999 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Sounds like a good day silva.

I've sent you a pm FBO.

The rain has stopped but there are some threatening clouds out there, in between times the sun is shining so washing has gone on the line.
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    Seems to have disappeared into the ether Camelot!
    *** Debt Free***
    NST July - 3/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1,857/£3,500, 53/58% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th May 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,720 Posts
    • 49,444 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Not long now nursemaggie I hope the weather's good while you're there.

I got my new reading glasses earlier. They are certainly better for reading than the old ones, but unfortunately not so good when using the computer. Perhaps I should have got bifocals, with part of the lens for close vision and part for middle vision. Oh well, too late now.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 17th May 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 21,989 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Thanks ivyleaf I always get a cheap pair for my computer, I take my glasses off to read, I always have. I do have varifocals. I find it difficult without those I have had them for over 20 years now. Not the same pair but using them most of the time you get used to how handy they are.

You could always go back for a pair of computer glasses. I usually get the cheapest ones as I don't wear them all the time.

Do you think when I arrive in Malta on Monday I will find all the missing people.

I am exhausted at the moment. I went for my scan yesterday and did not get back until after 8.30 pm, I fell asleep until the early hours so did not post.

I have been today to the sleep centre and was told they have a new centre opened in Bury. That is just the next town so may be as easy as going to the other side of town.

I have heard of people commuting four hours each way. I don't know how they do it, after doing it two days running I feel like I have walked to Manchester and back twice. I shall probably lose tomorrow just recovering.

As I had exceptional weather when I went to Malta in October, it should have been raining a lot, I expect it will be lovely. Not quite as hot as it is in July and August.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th May 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 35,844 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Have a great time Nursemaggie.
    I seem to be mostly moving stuff from one place to another, 2 people were meant to be collecting things today, so I lined all the stuff up in the hall, neither turned up so all the stuff has been moved back into the living room.
    The hall is now full of stuff that I am taking to people tomorrow, there is one small box of stuff in the kitchen to go to the boat.
    I've packed up all the CD's ready to go to Music Magpie, I got £8 for mine & £6 for Captain Hot Stuff's.
    All the utilities have now been cancelled and today I booked myself on to a narrow boat training course, I cannot learn from my beloved as he has no patience, so I have found a lady who runs a course not far from me. I now just need to see if I can get the time off at work.
    On the subject of work, there was a c0ck up with the paper order, I received 50 boxes this morning instead of the 20 I ordered, it should keep me going for a while!!!
    I'm not sleeping and expect to be found gibbering quietly in a corner sometime soon.
    Monna, I hope the tidying is going well.
    Mar, I hope the RV is ok.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th May 17, 10:02 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 49,431 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hope you have a lovely time Nursemaggie - and have plenty to tell us when you get back.
    Hester - how is the painting on the boat going? Good for you for finding someone to show you the ropes. My DH is no good at teaching either for the same reason! I'm not surprised you're exhausted and not sleeping trying to keep all your plates spinning. Take care and see if you can find a bit of breathing space for you. ( At least you won't be worrying gabout running out of paper!) x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th May 17, 7:20 AM
    • 13,908 Posts
    • 129,150 Thanks
    mardatha
    Been reading along but not talking lately, meant to post but never got round to it. RV been and still is poorly. The knee is still swollen a lot and he's got an infection in it - was only a tiny teeny graze in the skin on top of bad bruising, but that was enough - diabetic. The foot is swollen so much he can't get even sandals on and he's still in a lot of pain. On antiBs and got strong painkillers yesterday because he hasn't been sleeping with it. I got him liquid iron and Spatone and am filling him up with iron to treat the anaemia.
    I've been much better, plenty energy and even managed a day up in Edinburgh. I coped bravely with wandering around my fav shop (and in and out of the 3 cafes in it eating cake) Finally got the garden going and that's made me happy - missed all last year and it needed a lot of TLC.
    Hope everybody is as well and happy as can be expected
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th May 17, 7:25 AM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 29,263 Thanks
    Floss
    I'm still here! We were away in the Lakes for a wedding last weekend and are both off work this week, so life chez Floss is a little upside-down with DH fitting a new worktop in the kitchen and going to the allotment this morning. I am grounded today as my car is being picked up this morning to go in for some paint work repairs after an unfortunate incident in a car park involving a white Jag however I will get a courtesy car this afternoon

I have a pile of ironing & several hours of catch-up TV to watch, so that's my plan for today, along with laundry and sorting out the freezer.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 4,720 Posts
    • 49,444 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh poor Hester, i'd say sit down and take a few deep breaths until you feel calmer but I expect you feel there's no time for that! Good luck with the course. If all else fails you might have to go sick....

Mar So sorry the RV is still so poorly. i'm sure the Spatone etc will help, but his poor leg Glad you are feeling better anyway!
    Mr Ivyleaf drives me nuts, he will not look after himself diabetes-wise and was mindlessly eating peanut brittle yesterday. In the end I yelled at him to stop because I knew he couldn't possibly be actually hungry and his blood sugar must have been sky-high! Unfortunately he tends to eat to take his mind off his pain.

Floss Sorry about the car, but glad you've had a nice time

nursemaggie Unfortunately another pair of glasses isn't going to happen, as just new lenses for my reading glasses cost £178

I need to lose some weight - after my operation in January I wasn't allowed to do much for a while but carried on eating the same amount as usual and am paying for it now! So am avoiding cakes etc and trying to make do with a square of dark chocolate if I want something sweet. Hoping to re-educate my palate. Wish me luck!

We need to do some food shopping today and I haven't a clue what to get as I haven't a clue what to cook this coming week.....
    • candlelight 2013
    • By candlelight 2013 18th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 24,758 Thanks
    candlelight 2013
    Mar I am sorry the RV still isn't well.

When Himself was so poorly last year and had cellulitis and leg ulcers I sent for manuka honey dressings and they really worked wonders. You know leg ulcers can take forever to heal, but within about a month he had healing and new skin appearing. I dressed his legs every other day with the dressings and bandage to protect them. I appreciate the RV doesn't have an ulcer, I hope he goes on OK, these men they are a worry to us

Candlelightx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th May 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 12,429 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Morning Fencers , trying to catch up again .

NM I'm not missing in Malta just busy and caught up in the problems following the NHS attack . That's good news about the Bury sleep clinic you already travel such distances . Wishing you sun and a really good holiday and sending best wishes to your son .

Mar Hope the RV heals soon . Good advice From Candlelight re the honey . I swear by spatone we've been using it for many years . Boots often have a 3 for 2 offer on and I stock up then . Good to see you got to Edinburgh , in the present situation sometimes cake is the only answer .

Hester I always think you would have made a good career in the clutter clearing and motivating sector . You seem to have been born for it . Think of the money the tv gurus and the book writers made .
    I've never seen anyone do so much whilst still working and dealing with daily life .
    Your mention of the extra paper at work has spooked me . I did one of my very rare posts on the daily a few days ago and wished reams of paper for you .
    This happens all the time and the family are a bit afraid of it .
    It never works for me but it does for others . I blame the Irish ancestry .

Burtha I'm still thinking of you all and sending strength x

Postman has interrupted this post so I forget where I'm up to !
    Off the have some lunch . Lovely blue skies and sunshine here today but warm then cold rinse and repeat ,
    Hope you all get some sun .
    pollyx
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 18th May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 35,844 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Thank you Pollyanna, it worked, in spades, lol.

I have a friend who has fertility problems, had problems getting pregnant, then miscarried, she now about 6 weeks pregnant I'm spending time every day visualising a healthy and happy outcome for her, any positive vibes would be gratefully received.

I've been watching Three Girls on iplayer, so harrowing.

DD1 has collected a carload of stuff and will be back next week for more, I'm listing a lot of stuff on ebay so lets hope it sells.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th May 17, 6:07 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 12,429 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hester You are most welcome to your paper mountain , enjoy
    Odd you should mention visualisation , earlier today I posted on Mooloos thread on that subject . I think strong positive and caring thoughts can move mountains .
    We see it on these threads so many times .
    I will be keeping your friend in my thoughts , may all be well .
    I didn't watch 3 Girls , I did dither but although I do watch a lot of harrowing things I didn't feel up to that .
    There is anew drama series beginning on BBC1 next Tuesday ,
    Written by Jimmy McGovern and called Broken .
    I've always followed his work and he is rather like Ken Loach with social comment and an awareness of real life .
    The main character is played by Sean Bean and unless my memory betrays me , you were one of the Sean fans when I was wittering on about D Tennant and the much missed Alan Rickman .

It's gone very humid here now so I hope all get some sleep if you have that humidity .
    polly
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 18th May 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 35,844 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Yes Pollyanna, that was me, a Sean Bean fan, I like my men to look rumpled and lived in and a Geordie accent can send me weak at the knees ever since watching When the Boat Comes In.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th May 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 12,429 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hester if you like rumpled and lived in Ken Stott as Rebus always did it for me . I'm a sucker for scots accents so no surprise that DT and KS fit the bill .
    Geordie is another one . I have the dvd boxset of When the boat comes in . I find it quite sad now to see how James Bolam has aged . He always played the cheeky wide boy so well in some of his work with a twinkle in his eye . There were so many good actors at that time many of whom are still performing now . I used to watch the tv version of Catherine Cooksons books , and yes have the dvd boxset of those too,
    The offspring have thought it hilarious for many years and urged me to get rid . No doubt they have already planned the getting rid once they've got rid of me.
    Sorry to those posters who don't know what the heck I'm discussing .The older posters here lived through wonderful times drama , music and arts wise .

After Hesters paper mountain bonanza I'll shift the vibes to SS and her internet as she doesn't seem to have it restored . Or maybe she has another of her big projects ongoing .

Monna Any news on the search?

polly
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 18th May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 35,844 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Well he is 81 now so is bound to have aged, but it's funny to see James Bolam with his real life wife Susan Jameson in New Tricks where she plays the wife of Alun Armstrong.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

2,618Users online

Martin's Twitter