Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 476
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th Apr 17, 8:17 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 37,871 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    It's raining and ffffffreezing here but I'm warm in front of the stove, we've been to Tesco and stocked up on milk bread and other essentials.
    Talking of TP, he wrote about dwarf bread, something along the lines of 'you'll never starve if you have dwarf bread, because you think you are hungry but when you look at dwarf bread you decide you aren't really hungry'.
    Well today I suggested getting a few extra tins of food from Tesco to restock my Armageddon cupboard. Captain Hot Stuff said we didn't need any more tins cos we have part baked baguettes and tinned soup so we won't starve. But actually every t time I suggest soup and baguette for lunch he decides he isn't hungry after all.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 17, 8:20 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 51,795 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oooh Floss - haven't heard the term mizzleing since my DM died.
    Mar -swop you for some Edinburgh rock!
    Always loved the contributions from Terry's old gits - found out recently that a friend of mine's husband pseudonym was Percy Veerance! Only ever read one book of TP's - did enjoy it but must look out some more of his.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Apr 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 32,848 Thanks
    Floss
    Hester you've found the canal equivalent of dwarf bread then...

silvasava it often mizzles up here
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 17th Apr 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 23,510 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes silva mostly if it is not mizzling it is pouring down. We don't get many sunny days in this area.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Apr 17, 10:04 PM
    • 14,097 Posts
    • 131,623 Thanks
    mardatha
    We've got an arctic front (apparently) and its to hit minus 4 tonight. Doing the hokey cokey with the second downie, its going on and off the bed like nobody'd business.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 17th Apr 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,403 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Apologies to any I may have offended re Sir Terry Wogan especially VJsMum . I was continuing the banter and only realised my sadly judged error when oil on troubled waters was mentioned .
    Never let me do a dance marathon again!!! The grey cells are dodgy enough without shaking them up .

I also seem to have misread Burthas post about DD . I thought both daughter and dog had given birth . I thought she seemed remarkably calm!

Have done a lot of fleecing and placing of cloches and temperature is diving down . Stay warm all , I don't think we will go down as far as Mar , hope you get the downie balance sorted and get to sleep .

Have just had a marathon phone conversation with middle daughter so will say goodnight and head for bed .
    polly x
    • burtha
    • By burtha 17th Apr 17, 11:05 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    burtha
    Hi all, pollyanna dd thankfully is due early September , finds out on Wednesday what she is having .
    3 puppies doing ok , may have to start feeding one of them as he's a bit thin , but at the moment he's doing ok , keeps moving away from the other 2 which means he runs the risk of getting squashed ... so 2 hrs feeds may be needed soon .. any volunteers lol
    Feel at bit like I have been on a never ending treadmill this weekend , club,home,kids,dogs then repeat with a few hours sleep in between , back to the day job tomorrow so kids in charge of pups till I get back ..
    Hope it doesn't get to cold tonight .
    Have lost were the elephant is but if he's free and can hold a very small bottle send him this way please ...
    X
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 17th Apr 17, 11:46 PM
    • 26,033 Posts
    • 105,467 Thanks
    candygirl
    BURTHA, if it's any consolation when my late lab had pups may years ago, there was one tiny boy who we didn't think would survive.I bottle fed him every few hours, and he thrived, n is now bigger than a lot of the others
    What breed are they, no dya have pics?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • burtha
    • By burtha 18th Apr 17, 1:40 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    burtha
    Cocker spaniels , hopefully we won't have to feed but we have done it many times over the years , one year we had 2 litters within 2 days of each other , springers and labs, the springer had 16 the lab had 8 , it was a mad house , at one point when they were about 4 weeks old we came in to the dogs everywhere ,they had knocked out the panels separating them so puppies feeding of anyone that was lieing down didn't matter if if was there mum or not ... Most of both of those litters were bottle fed to top them up . Remember well catching pups one by one and feeding them ,took over a hour each time then repeated every 2 hours ... Long nights ,but good fun
    Last edited by burtha; 18-04-2017 at 1:42 AM.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th Apr 17, 8:28 AM
    • 4,948 Posts
    • 51,802 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Actually.... Tel did write some wonderful books, not as many as STP, and most of them are collections of articles, but still, he was a good writer. Very good. Decidedly Flann O'Brien.
    A Slip of the Keyboard is STP's collection and very good it is too.
    I loved Tel's TV series with the lovely London cabbie, Mason McQueen, I recorded the whole lot the last time they were on.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Thank you - I knew he'd written one called Banjaxed but didn't know about the others.

Pollyanna No worries, I realised it was banter and the water on troubled waters was a bit tongue-in-cheek
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 18-04-2017 at 8:32 AM.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th Apr 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 44,924 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My daughter's older Springer was the runt of the litter.
    I told DD and partner to ignore the alpha puppy and the runt of the 10 pup litter, but my grand daughter picked the runt up and dropped her, so they then felt obliged to take her!

They took her at just six weeks old and she wasn't really thriving. She is now 10 and significantly larger than some of her littermates that are still in the area.

The second Springer was the Alpha puppy of a three pup litter, as fat as butter. However as an adult he is tiny, the smallest male Springer I have ever seen. Cute, and very intelligent, though if he was a human he would be the class clown.
    He loves his "big sister" very much. She is quite fond of him.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 39,078 Thanks
    monnagran
    Cocker spaniels , hopefully we won't have to feed but we have done it many times over the years , one year we had 2 litters within 2 days of each other , springers and labs, the springer had 16 the lab had 8 , it was a mad house , at one point when they were about 4 weeks old we came in to the dogs everywhere ,they had knocked out the panels separating them so puppies feeding of anyone that was lieing down didn't matter if if was there mum or not ... Most of both of those litters were bottle fed to top them up . Remember well catching pups one by one and feeding them ,took over a hour each time then repeated every 2 hours ... Long nights ,but good fun
    Originally posted by burtha
    Good fun, burtha? GOOD FUN?

I've long suspected it but now it has been confirmed.

You are a masochist, woman!

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 18th Apr 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 41,232 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Ah monna, I'm sure it would be fun - for 10 minutes!

Hope the puppies are doing well burtha, are they working dogs?

Anyone got the warm weather? It's missing from here, 2 degrees when I got up this morning (that was a struggle in itself after over 2 weeks off), and doesn't seem to have got much warmer - I went for a walk in the country park nearby after work and it was decidedly bracing.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 18th Apr 17, 6:58 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    burtha
    Well our best efforts didn't pull it off , little black one died this morning ,started feeding him about 2 , till 4 30 then dh took over when I got a couple of hours sleep, back up at 7 to keep going but wasn't getting anywhere and he went at 8 . Sad but think he may have had lots going wrong . Other 2 are doing good , warm,round and getting fatter .
    Yes there working dogs , well all of our dogs are ,but the pups mum is mine and not very keen on working , dh says she is more like a cat than a dog , bit of a misfit and let's the side down lol
    Dd scan was today , not good news though and apt with scan and consultant thurs, so will know more then, can't even think straight to be honest ...
    may pop back later , have to show my face at a quick meeting in a bit ..
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 18th Apr 17, 9:39 PM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 41,232 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Sorry burtha, stay strong.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 18th Apr 17, 11:13 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 15,403 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    So sorry to read your news Burtha . Sending strength and hope to you , your daughter and all the family . In my thoughts now and in the days to come . Hoping there will be some better news on Thursdayx

As for little pup he'll be up to mischief now with Docky and friends

polly
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 19th Apr 17, 4:08 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 9,616 Thanks
    shanks77
    Aw sorry all the bad news is coming your way burtha hope all comes well again soon sending hugs your way xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th Apr 17, 7:20 AM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 32,848 Thanks
    Floss
    Burtha a big hug from Blackpool is winging its way to you & your DD xx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Apr 17, 8:21 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 51,795 Thanks
    silvasava
    Burtha - so sorry this is such a hard time for you and your family. Sending love and hugs for you all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th Apr 17, 8:32 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 37,871 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Hugs burtha, I hope the news isn't too bad.

We arrived at our home mooring yesterday after a nine hour day that included twelve locks, six or seven swing bridges, one that was manned by a very friendly staffie who wanted a kiss and a cuddle, traffic lights on the waterway through the shopping center and when we made it in to the Marina someone else was moored in our place on the jetty. We are on a temporary mooring for now until a place can be found for us.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

32Posts Today

4,240Users online

Martin's Twitter