Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 464
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 10,098 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wondercollie Lovely to catch up on your news . I always think of you in cold weather although nothing compared to yours . Lovely to read the good but sorry to read how ill you've been . I hope you have enough time for a full recovery before returning to work . Take care .
    Camelot sending be gone vibes to the gas workers .
    VJs mum Sending a gentle painfree hug to you and wishing you better soon .
    SS You must be totally fed up by now , I imagine when all is complete you will have never again fancy diy for fun !
    Hugs back at you MM glad all is well .
    Hester I'm really loving the blog pictures , deep envy .
    Dear Monna I hope you're keeping on keeping on . No mention of naughty dog so perhaps the Barbara Woodhouse worked .
    Wishinng all poorlies and those caring for poorlies better health and some rest .
    I'm up at 5.30 tomorrow morning to go with dd to an early hospital appt . Wishing all a peaceful night . Clocks go forward at the weekend ( except for our friends abroad ) I'm never sure on that one . A nice shiny season began today so may it be good to us all .
    Take care
    polly x
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 20th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 33,035 Thanks
    grandma247
    Just a quick update. Two physios got DH up and walked him the length of the ward. He came back with one physio and a stick He tires easily but today he was showing signs of his old self.

Thank you for all the kind words.

I hope all the other poorlies get better quickly. This winter is lasting too long now. We had a hailstorm this afternoon and it has turned very cold. It is supposed to snow tomorrow.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 20th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 9,136 Thanks
    shanks77
    Sending best wishes and healing hugs to grandmas DH, wondercollie, fuddle, ivyleaf and anyone else whom I have missed.
    Yay to monna and the disappearing roadworks.
    Many thanks to those who replied to my question on log splitters is there anything we can ask that someone on here doesn't know the answer to?
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 45,889 Thanks
    silvasava
    Echoing Shanks good wishes too for all the poorlies. Do hope we get a bit of fine weather to buck up our spirits. So its not just me Grandma who thinks this winter has dragged on too long.
    And no Shanks - whatever it is if someone doesn't know they can point you in the right direction, that's what our lovely garden fence is for
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mrssnowy
    • By mrssnowy 20th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 5,872 Thanks
    mrssnowy
    Absolutely yes, nursing has left me with a lifelong passion for nice smelly soap and hand cream
    Maggie I just bought (for 1p on amazon) Monica Dickens books "One Pair of Feet". It's bringing back some not so happy memories lol
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Me too,friends and family always know what to give me-and much appreciated too.

mrss

Hugs to all who need them
    Last edited by mrssnowy; 20-03-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 21st Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 126,495 Thanks
    mardatha
    Gorgeous morning here, heavy snow started at 6am and now we have 6inches and the sun has come out, brilliant blue sky and white world
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 21st Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 45,267 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ha ha, thank you mrssnowy - You prompted me to put some hand cream on At the moment I have a big tub of goat's milk hand cream I bought at a craft fair last May Bank Holiday, and it's almost lasted the full year but i'm not sure it will last right until the beginning of May. Perhaps this time (we go most years) I'd better buy a big tub and a small tub!

VJs Mum Sending you gentle ((HUGS)). What a difficult time for everyone, especially the children

grandma247 Glad your DH is getting on so well

I'm feeling chilly this morning, but only a few days to wait now til the new boiler's up and running. Shame the weather's turned colder again, but hey, we've been lucky til now.

We should get our own car back early next week, but in the meantime we've got a big 7-seater to use. It took OH some time to park it when he brought it home. People tend to park right up to the edges of the blue badge bay as parking is so limited, which makes it difficult to manoeuvre in and out. But at least we can get around

I sound like Pollyanna today, finding the bright side

ETA You're a happy bunny today then mardatha
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 22nd Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 36,869 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Ok so what happened monna? I've come home from work to temp traffic lights at the end of the road which is all to do with the gas works, just when I thought it had all gone away!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 22nd Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 45,267 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hiya Camelot, I'm glad I haven't killed the thread
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 23rd Mar 17, 1:29 AM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 32,256 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Lovely to see you posting wondercollie, glad to hear that dh is improving grandma. Fuddle I'm glad you are finally getting the treatment you need.
    I'm not sleeping well atm, too much to worry about, dd1 has spent nearly 3 years being fobbed off by her Dr who told her she shouldn't expect to keep her figure after having twins. It turns out the two finger gap from her belly button to her sternum is a hernia that needs surgery! I'm hoping ds, dil and all their friends in London are safe.
    Another weekend of driving up to the boat, we are taking 6 year old dgd with us, I hope she enjoys herself. We will buy her a life jacket when we arrive.
    I spent hours on the phone yesterday trying to sort out mifi for the boat, hopefully it will work.
    I'm going to read for a couple of hours now in the hope that I can fall asleep for a couple of hours before it's time to get up for work.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 23-03-2017 at 1:32 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 23rd Mar 17, 6:28 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 32,388 Thanks
    monnagran
    So sorry Camelot. I found several redundant road-diggers-uppers lurking behind the bus shelter. It seems that they are temporarily devoid of suitable good roads to despoil and were having withdrawal symptoms. I supplied them with corned beef sandwiches and pointed them northwards. I didn't give them your address. Honestly.

So anyone on this thread who doesn't have enough complications in their lives and fancies having the road outside their houses noisily ruined for the next 6 months please apply to Camelot.

No timewasters. No hawkers. No circulars. No peasants. November.

I wish to remain anonymous.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 23rd Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 36,869 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Thanks monna, I'll send them to you for their tea break!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 23rd Mar 17, 7:03 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 32,388 Thanks
    monnagran
    Sigh............

I'm opening the tin of corned beef as we speak.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 23rd Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 45,267 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ha ha monna, I see you are still in literary mode this morning

((HUGS)) Hester, your poor DD1, she must be furious and upset after being fobbed off for so long!

i can hear DS getting up. He's going to start on the pipework for the new boiler today, but i know he will say "I'm just going out to get a few more parts I need, and i'll get some breakfast while i'm out." (he can't face food when he first gets up) and will then disappear for several hours

He suggested we go away for a couple of nights while the boiler's being fitted, as the power will have to be off some of the time so we won't be able to use our electric heater, so we are going to Lincoln and should have a chance to see BIL and DSIL while we're there.

Last night I was wearing pj's rather than a nightie, and had bedsocks on, and a blanket on top of the duvet, but my nose was so cold it was keeping me awake, for goodness' sake

But at least we know when there will be an end to it. It must have been so much more stressful being cold during and after WW2 (thinking of that awful winter of 1947-48 which I'm sure monna can remember all too well)
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 23rd Mar 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 32,388 Thanks
    monnagran
    Too right Ivyleaf. My main impression of my childhood was being cold. I am sure that I must have been too hot at times but it is the cold I remember. It seems to have gone on until I was married and vowed that I would never be cold again. I will probably starve to death in a toasty warm house.
    1947 was grim. 1963 was not much fun either. By then I was living in a top floor bed-sitter with a one bar electric fire and teaching in a classroom with one inefficient radiator and three outside walls. And there was often no coke for the boiler when the lorries couldn't get through. Did the school close? Good heavens, no. Even though the outside toilets were permanently frozen and flushed by a chain of boys passing buckets of hot water drawn from the kitchen and the temperature in my classroom occasionally reached the heady heights of 46°F and the children had to sit all day in their coats and gloves. Every 15 minutes or so we had 5 minutes of jumping up and down to keep the circulation going. You can understand why I feel slightly peeved when schools now close at the first glimpse of a snowflake.

Why do you get me going? You know I can bore for England on my life and times.

Anyway, you are all safe now, I am going out to lunch with a friend. Maybe a call into the Cash and Carry. Yippee.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 23rd Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 20,866 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    ivyleaf enjoy your trip to Lincoln. May your return to a nice warm house.

monna you are never boring. My overwhelming memories are of cold winters lasting most of the year and long hot summers which must have been imagination. Just after my father died mum and I were sorting photographs and I found lots of photos of us on the beach on holiday. Mum and dad were always in their winter coats.

I remember we also had summer coats then, but they were definitely winter coats and my brother and I were in those awful knitted bathing costumes. Mum said it was always cold in the late 40s and 50s.

I can remember other winters with lots of snow. I also remember going to school in the snow when it came over the top of my wellies. That can't have been '63 as I was working then. The buses did not stop when it snowed like they have been doing for the last 30 odd years. It's a good job it doesn't snow every year like it did then.

One of the best things about being retired is you don't have to go out in bad weather unless you want to.

We have some sun today after it raining for the last 5 days.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 23rd Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 126,495 Thanks
    mardatha
    I seem destined to always live in high open places, I live in one now and grew up in another one the same. I can remember the winter of 63, I was 13 and we got a lot of time off school as the bus couldn't get through.
    I remember often my mum hanging those horrible cream utility blankets at the windows to stop the curtains blowing about. But with my dad a miner we always had a nice blazing coal fire in the livingroom - just the rest of the house was like an igloo lol
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 23rd Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 65,215 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I think i might be a product of the winter of '63 - I was born in December of that year Maybe that is why i detest the cold. Or maybe it's that I, too, remember freezing cold bedrooms and bathroom - no central heating for us and the bathroom had the paraffin stove lit on a sunday only.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 23rd Mar 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 45,889 Thanks
    silvasava
    I was 15 in '63 and never had a day off work - if the bus couldn't get through I walked. I also remember walking home from a dance in bare feet - I'd got some new patent leather slingback stilettos and I wasn't going to ruin them by getting them soaked! Funnily enough my feet were perfectly warm and I didn't get any chilblains either. Do remember them sending animal feed into the farms by helicopter as so many were totally cut off. It started snowing on Boxing Day and didn't stop until Easter which I think was in April that year
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 23rd Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,566 Posts
    • 42,054 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    Monna we love hearing you reminisce (is that right lol) and Mar those cream utility blankets were and still are my favourite blankets. I have actually been looking for one to embroider on.

We have both had the flu, obviously Hubby was worse than me and had anti bi's. Its still wonderous to me to have a GP that's so helpful and actually gives care along with meds. Our repeat scripts were processed, sent to the chemist and ready in 24 hours utter luxury and less stress for me all round.

Dd won a Mothers Day hamper in a raffle today and shared it with me, I got pot pouri, nailfiles, facial wipes hand cream and hand wash plus I napped the lovely plastic basketit all came in - I have an obsession with baskets and every where is still a muddle

DGs's parents evening was tonight and all is well. He is truly enjoying being a muddy little boy and the school reckons there are worse things than a wet 6 year old. they just change his clothes and wash the dirty ones bless them. Some of the pupils have extreme problems but everything is handled beautifully.

Hope all those who are poorly or have poorly Oh's are doing ok and that they are sharing a bit of the sunshine to help them mend - even though its chilly.
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,566Posts Today

8,335Users online

Martin's Twitter