Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 463
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 13,741 Posts
    • 127,037 Thanks
    mardatha
    Wow grandma - that's a lot to take in at once. You take things one day at a time and don't stress, let nature and time help him as well as the medics. xxx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Mar 17, 9:26 AM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 46,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thanks everyone. I have two wards to thank.

My DH started with cellulitis in his hand last Sunday A and E Doc gave him antibiotics, and Monday morning I had to call an ambulance as he was semi conscious and very ill with sepsis.

The doctor also thought he had had a mild stroke but the CT scan came back clear. He had two more checks for stroke over the next few days.

Tuesday they found he had a raging U.T.I, the beginning of a chest infection, his liver function had not been good when he was admitted but was improving and then they came and said he possibly had meningitis and they needed to do a lumbar puncture, it was later confirmed he had non bacterial meningitis.

I have never in nearly 44 years seen him so seriously ill. I think he just saved it all up till now and had it all at once!

The staff have been wonderful right from the call handler who stayed on the line till the ambulance men came into the bedroom.

DH only has a couple more months till he retires but late this week he talked of going back to work until the physio tried to get him to sit up and to walk. He was far too weak to do either without a lot of help so I gently prepared him for the fact he may not be going back.
    Originally posted by grandma247

Oh goodness grandma I'm so sorry to hear he's such a poorly boy - hopefully soon on the mend, but what an anxious time for you. Sending you ((HUGS)) .

monnagran YAY! about the disappearing roadworks! I hope it's not just because the Easter hols are coming up.

Good to "see" you wondercollie - I hope you and the family are doing ok

ETA Wise advice there mar x
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 19-03-2017 at 9:30 AM.
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 19th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 33,038 Thanks
    grandma247
    Thanks Mardatha and ivyleaf I have tried to stay calm but it has come out in my driving a few times. I have made stupid mistakes which has made other drivers mad. I have a lot of lovely friends who have been very supportive and one even sent a meal home for me which was very gratefully accepted. I have been coming home, throwing food in my mouth and going straight to bed every night. I have slept but had waking times in the night. He is improving, his eyesight has become normal again after his eyes had taken on a life of their own like children's lazy eye and he had double vision. His hearing is a bit better but not right yet and mentally he has improved but still takes a minute to process what is said now and again. They think it is all down to the brain inflammation and will get better over time. His temperature is still up and down as is his blood pressure but it has not been a full week yet so hopefully this time next week it will be different. He is still only picking at food so I have taken in little pots of jelly which he loved and little pots of fruit. They have been giving him icecream.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 19th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 3,297 Posts
    • 37,529 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Ooh Grandma, what a scary time for you. I hope your DH recovers quickly.

Sorry to hear of your bump ivy, like you say, no-one was injured which is the main thing.

Perhaps you could phone our council monna? These gas works are taking an age and it's so difficult to get in and out of the driveway. My neighbours across from me have a skip that should have been collected last week but the lorry can't get to reverse in to collect it. They have had a new roof so have been using my driveway for their cars, looks like it will be for a while longer yet. We just have to be organised the night before to see who is leaving first in the morning!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 19th Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 46,115 Thanks
    Jazee
    Grandma, hope your DH is better soon. Remember to look after yourself so you can look after him.

I am now going to try to make the house smell less 'dog'.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)May 111.44 Total 4111.44/12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) 268.64/365
    Money spent on garden 173.05

• Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 19th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 28,424 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I hope "Grandpa" feels better soon Grandma247. Sending love.

Spent today sanding plaster and whatnot. Bit !!!!!!ed.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 19th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,605 Posts
    • 32,921 Thanks
    monnagran
    Grandma - here's wishing you all the strength you need. It seems so much harder when someone has been fit and healthy all their lives and suddenly has to cope with half a dozen medical emergencies all at once. It's almost as if we should practise being ill so that we know how to cope. It's almost worse watching someone you love being ill than suffering yourself.
    It's a lovely thought of yours to get the nurses a gift. The handcream sounds good and if there are too many people perhaps one large dispenser of cream for each ward.

Camelot: I'll see what I can do. Perhaps I can remotely cast the evil eye on the gas disruptors for you.

Softstuff: if I had spent a whole day sanding plaster and whatnotting I would be more than a bit !!!!ed.

I will be spending today finishing off the Easter Chicks I am making for Pickle's Nursery. I finished all the eyes and beaks yesterday, just the Creme Eggs to stuff into their tummies and the ribbon to tie round their necks. It seems to be blowing a gale outside.

x
    Last edited by monnagran; 19-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 19th Mar 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 21,054 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Get well soon for your DH grandma. Take all the help you can get. I found the spells my mother had in hospital were as exhausting as looking after her.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 19th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 47,007 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Grandma 247......so frightening! Hopefully OH will recover quickly.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 10,378 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I need to catch up . For now sending virtual hugs to Ivyleaf and Grandma .
    Hope all is well NM .
    Heads up to any Vera fans . New series starts on ITV tonight at 8pm . I love those big skies and the landscape of Northumbria .
    Will be back tomorrow .
    Take care all
    polly x
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 20th Mar 17, 1:13 AM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 7,863 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Nice to be remembered, IvyLeaf.

It's been a strange start to the year. Oldest son got promoted in his regiment last year and has been asked to teach a couple of courses in his trade, so his father is very proud.

Number two son still likes his job and appears to be content with his life. Planning his next big travel adventure.

Me, finally got a move to a new ward. It's a temporary ward with a very good chance of being made permanent. I like the people and the patients are all less than 24 hour stays which is the type of nursing I enjoy, do the surgery, educate, and send home.

Healthwise it's been rough. I picked up a bacterial infection on our winter holiday and spent half of it in hospital. Managed to get out three days before our flight home. All good right? Nope. Wasn't home for 72 hours when it all kicked in a gain. Wound up with Colitis and CDiff from the antibiotics used to clear up the original infection. I'm due to go back at the end of the month, work two shifts and move to my new ward.

It's not the best way to lose 10 kilos. I'm exhausted and afraid that when I stop the antibiotics it'll flare up again. So the house smells of bleach and my hands are raw from washing.

Other good news is the husband has decided to stay retired. He didn't settle in well and kept taking little part time jobs. Kept him busy but cost a fortune in taxes. He's finally seen sense and understands that he was working for free and then giving the government extra money on top.

Hopefully, he will start on all the jobs around the house he's been putting off!

I have been reading along but really haven't had much to say.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 20th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 46,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Nice to be remembered, IvyLeaf.

It's been a strange start to the year. Oldest son got promoted in his regiment last year and has been asked to teach a couple of courses in his trade, so his father is very proud.

Number two son still likes his job and appears to be content with his life. Planning his next big travel adventure.

Me, finally got a move to a new ward. It's a temporary ward with a very good chance of being made permanent. I like the people and the patients are all less than 24 hour stays which is the type of nursing I enjoy, do the surgery, educate, and send home.

Healthwise it's been rough. I picked up a bacterial infection on our winter holiday and spent half of it in hospital. Managed to get out three days before our flight home. All good right? Nope. Wasn't home for 72 hours when it all kicked in a gain. Wound up with Colitis and CDiff from the antibiotics used to clear up the original infection. I'm due to go back at the end of the month, work two shifts and move to my new ward.

It's not the best way to lose 10 kilos. I'm exhausted and afraid that when I stop the antibiotics it'll flare up again. So the house smells of bleach and my hands are raw from washing.

Other good news is the husband has decided to stay retired. He didn't settle in well and kept taking little part time jobs. Kept him busy but cost a fortune in taxes. He's finally seen sense and understands that he was working for free and then giving the government extra money on top.

Hopefully, he will start on all the jobs around the house he's been putting off!

I have been reading along but really haven't had much to say.
    Originally posted by wondercollie
    Oh no, so sorry you've been so ill Sounds as if you could really do with more time to recover before going back, but I'm glad that you're moving to a new ward at least, and here's hoping it gets made permanent.
    Good to hear that your sons and husband are ok and that he's finally decided to stay retired

pollyanna - Thank you for the hug Much appreciated.

Nice to "see" you Marie I hope you are both keeping well.

Thinking of you Grandma x

nursemaggie Are you doing ok?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 85,504 Thanks
    fuddle
    grandma and wondercollie I am so, so sorry. The amount of us that are succoming to serious bacterial infections is frightening. All we can do is be vigilent and act. I grew up with being educated about not bothering the GP with a sore throat. Because of all my pnemonia problems of late I bothered out of hours on Friday night and thank goodness I did because I am fighting, with the help of antibiotics, another bacterial infection that could turn to pnemonia again, sepsis and/or meningitis. I feel how concerned and scared you are ladies. All we can be is vigilent and act quickly for ourselves and our loved ones. Thinking of you both.

• wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 20th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 7,863 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Fiuddle, take care of yourself! Pneumonia is horrid and takes a while to get over. The antibiotic I took when I had it wiped out my gut flora and did me in. I truly think the azithromycin used then is behind my bowel issues. Talk to your doctor about using a probiotic supplement during your recovery period. Keep that gut in balance.

Got to get dressed and head to the airport and pick up a son.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 20th Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,609 Posts
    • 85,504 Thanks
    fuddle
    I've been on it for a while wondercollie. I make my own milk kefir and are supplementing with probiotics while on the penicillin. I had coamoxiclav, clarithromycin and amoycillan some through IV on all three boughts. The 3rd bought They just need gave me clarithromycin and amoycillan in tablet form together to help with a chest infection but the pnemonia came anyway so coamoxiclav it was again. The 3rd time the medics were on standby to treat sepsis as the antibiotics didn't appear to be bringing my infection markers down. I understand your anxiety about susceptibility and what if/when. It can happen. To the fittest people and I worry that someone like my gran was, never wanted to bother any one because she'll be alright, would 't get help quick enough because of all the press about not accessing a crippling NHS. Thank goodness grandpa was able to get help grandma and although it's a slow recovery and distressing time for you he's getting stronger all the time. Quick acting and good front line staff saw Grandpa was treat in good time.

Just don't leave things too long toughies. Trust your inner instinct and shout from the roof tops because deterioration can happen quickly when bacteria decides to come out to play.

• meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 20th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 47,007 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Afternoon all,

We are well thank you Ivyleaf,

Wondercollie.....sorry to hear that you have been so ill, but glad to hear that you are recovering well and that other areas of your life are good.

Fuddle.....hope that you can rest and recover quickly.

Hugs to all who could do with one.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 12,322 Posts
    • 33,541 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Softstuff

Still sanding away at that plaster? (as in "I dont envy you on that one").

How is the house going now? Nearly sorted?
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 20th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 21,054 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Hi everyone. Nice to see you wondercollie & meanmarie It seem never ending fuddle.

As many different probiotics as you can get is necessary. Most of the yoghurt type are all the same bacillus.

Get well soon all of you.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 66,061 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hi all, sorry for the poorlies. I also have been fighting a chest infection - though nothing like you guys. I now have a pulled chest muscle due to all the coughing

Definitely think i need to sort my internal flora out - and am investigating kefir making. I am taking Apple cider vinegar for now.

In the end, DS didn't get his holiday package - damaged muscles and a family crisis meant that i didn't have time so i got him sunglasses and an IOU for the holiday. he did have other things to open and was quite happy.

The family crisis is likely to be ongoing for some time (my sister and her husband have split up , sister has moved back in with dad. hard to know who's fault (if indeed there is fault) as they clearly have both lied in saying that everything was fine..... ) Personally, I'd like to knock their heads together and tell them to sort it out, there are 3 kids involved here who have suffered all this once already
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 20th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 3,297 Posts
    • 37,529 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Get well soon poorlies, the germs seem to be lingering this year.
    I hope things are sorted soon VJsmum, a tough time for you all but for the children in particular.

Well, monna has some magic powers! I went to work this morning dodging all the holes, cones and barriers in the road and have come home to ....... nothing! What a breeze reversing into the drive, I'd forgotten how easy it is! Anyone else got roadworks they want shifting? Monna's the woman.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter