Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 462
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 35,999 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Sorry to hear about your coat nursemaggie, I can imagine pickle walking along looking like one of the potty men!

It seems to be the season for digging up roads,we have the gas folk digging up the road, holes everywhere with plastic barriers round them - it's been really windy here just lately and the signs and barriers are all over the place. Reversing into the drive is a bit tricky but at least the learner drivers aren't causing chaos - we are on the test route for a turn in the road and it can get a bit scary.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 31,730 Thanks
    monnagran
    Sympathies Camelot. We have had some sort of pipes being renewed through our village since before Christmas. Traffic has been chaotic. I will be that thankful when they have finished as no buses are able to use their usual route and I have to walk twice as far as usual to find a bus stop that is still receiving the odd visit from a double decker.

I have heard that the workmen will be playing somewhere else after Easter. I can't wait.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Mar 17, 6:50 PM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 140,606 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Nursemaggie I think your coat might have been made in China as they designate size 12/14 as extra large.....doesn't explain the length of the arms though?????
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 16th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 64,387 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thanks for all the birthday pressie suggestions. I am taking them shopping tomorrow so we'll see how I get on..

In other news I am daring to hope my cough / throat issues might be improving....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 16th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 20,524 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes MrsLW it was made in China and I would not have ordered it if I had known.

The sleeves are normal length but it is very short and very narrow thus small children. I had more of a vision of ET with the sleeves trailing on the ground.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 17th Mar 17, 4:59 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 9,117 Thanks
    shanks77
    Morning quick question to some of the older peeps. Do any of you use log splitters and if so what kind and how easy are they to use. Not being ageist as wanting to get for my mum who is in her 70's and not able to heft heavy things about. Any advice greatly appreciated xx
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th Mar 17, 6:35 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 35,999 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Shanks I know of 2 people that have electric log splitters, not particularly old, but they find them brilliant. Both say they were well worth the money.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 11,100 Posts
    • 140,606 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We use what is called a 'log bomb' which is a hefty piece of metal with a wide top and pointed bottom with vanes radiating out that you whack into a big round of wood and it gradually splits the round if you leave it in and give it the occasional whack. He Who Knows usually whacks it with a 'club hammer' rather than a sledge hammer. You can hear the wood creak as it splits over a period of time. Green wood splits very easily as does very dry wood but if you have mid aged wood or wood with knots or side branches they are the devil of a job to split. He Who Knows is 72 and processes ALL our scrounged wood.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 44,440 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    shanks What a kind idea for your Mum

ETA DS is starting the pipework for the new boiler today. He will get as much done as he can, then his gas engineer friends will come next weekend, finish any that still needs doing, and fit the new boiler. not too long to wait!

Had a prang in the car yesterday - we were sitting in a slow-moving queue of traffic when a car pulled out from a side road that's at an angle and crashed into the driver's door and front wing He said he just didn't see us because of the traffic. I think he thought the car in front of us was the last one in the queue, though our car is red so easy to see! At any rate, no one was hurt and that's the important thing. Ours is a Motability car, so their insurers will deal with it. It will be collected for repair on Monday, and we'll have a courtesy car in the meantime. Hoping it will be one which OH can get in and out of easily!
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 17-03-2017 at 9:38 AM.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th Mar 17, 10:58 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 28,384 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Hugs Ivyleaf, so sorry about your car. Hope you're both not too shaken up
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 17th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I hope you are all okay Ivy!
    "Shop" From Stash (4 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0.5/7
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 44,440 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    We're fine thanks, though OH was more shaken than me as it was on his side so only a few inches away from him He was creakier than usual the next day, but I hope he'll be all right today.

the courtesy car will be arranged through Enterprise, and they are sending someone to pick us up on Monday afternoon to go and see which of the ones available will be best for us. We don't know how long it'll be until we get the "proper" car back - we've only had it 10 months, so hopefully they won't decide it's a write-off, seems to be just bodywork. The door makes a horrible CRACK! CRACK! now when opened or closed, but at least the lock works

I had a shower when I got up today - had meant to have one last night, and OH was going to have a bath, but we were both too cold to face taking any clothes off but when I woke up I was toasty warm, so got on with it while the going was good. Thank goodness we have hot water at least and not too long now until we have the new boiler fitted. Might have a look for one of those "Heat and light" bulbs for the bathroom in the meantime, if they still exist.

ETA Oh good, they do! I'll wait until OH is up, and see if he wants to bother.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 18-03-2017 at 9:07 AM.
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 18th Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 33,024 Thanks
    grandma247
    What can I get as a little thank you for the hospital staff who have and still are looking after my husband ? I thought maybe a tin of biscuits? Would they be considered unhealthy?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th Mar 17, 9:14 AM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 44,440 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I'm sure a tin of biscuits will go down very well grandma247 When hospital staff grab a quick snack a biscuit is quicker and easier than, say, an apple
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 18-03-2017 at 7:53 PM. Reason: A tine of biscuits?!
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 18th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 33,024 Thanks
    grandma247
    Thank you ivyleaf.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 31,730 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ivyleaf: Sorry to hear about your car problems, hope it all gets sorted quickly.

Someone on the Islands highway service obviously reads this forum. After my mini-rant about the road works in the village, that have been a permanent feature for about 6 months now, they have suddenly disappeared. I couldnt believe it. Yesterday the area outside the shops looked like a gypsy encampment as usual. Today everything has disappeared. Empty road. Sans workmen, sans machinery, sans noise, sans mess, sans everything. (apologies Shakespeare). I even saw a bus trundling along the usual route. I felt as though I had stepped into a parallel universe.

Ah well. On we go.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 19th Mar 17, 1:23 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 7,828 Thanks
    wondercollie
    What can I get as a little thank you for the hospital staff who have and still are looking after my husband ? I thought maybe a tin of biscuits? Would they be considered unhealthy?
    Originally posted by grandma247
    We love biscuits. But the most talked about and remembered thank you we got on ward was a box of mandarin oranges and tubes of really nice hand cream!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 19th Mar 17, 1:29 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 20,524 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I can second that grandma247 nurses wash their hands a lot so hand cream is very much appreciated.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 13,631 Posts
    • 125,902 Thanks
    mardatha
    Absolutely yes, nursing has left me with a lifelong passion for nice smelly soap and hand cream
    Maggie I just bought (for 1p on amazon) Monica Dickens books "One Pair of Feet". It's bringing back some not so happy memories lol
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 19th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 33,024 Thanks
    grandma247
    Thanks everyone. I have two wards to thank.

My DH started with cellulitis in his hand last Sunday A and E Doc gave him antibiotics, and Monday morning I had to call an ambulance as he was semi conscious and very ill with sepsis.

The doctor also thought he had had a mild stroke but the CT scan came back clear. He had two more checks for stroke over the next few days.

Tuesday they found he had a raging U.T.I, the beginning of a chest infection, his liver function had not been good when he was admitted but was improving and then they came and said he possibly had meningitis and they needed to do a lumbar puncture, it was later confirmed he had non bacterial meningitis.

I have never in nearly 44 years seen him so seriously ill. I think he just saved it all up till now and had it all at once!

The staff have been wonderful right from the call handler who stayed on the line till the ambulance men came into the bedroom.

DH only has a couple more months till he retires but late this week he talked of going back to work until the physio tried to get him to sit up and to walk. He was far too weak to do either without a lot of help so I gently prepared him for the fact he may not be going back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,247Posts Today

9,033Users online

Martin's Twitter