Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 460
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 126,482 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ah ok, thanks. As long as she isn't poorly
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 11,267 Posts
    • 142,210 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi MAR, family left this morning and we have had such fun this week, done loads of things with them and just been soooooo busy. Am very happy and completely shattered!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Mar 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 45,867 Thanks
    silvasava
    Fuddle - you both absolutely deserve your break - hope the weather is kind and relax and enjoy!
    Mrs L - what a lovely tiredness it is too - hope HWK is doing well.
    Hester - exciting times ahead - weather improving tomorrow so should all be good
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 10th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 84,971 Thanks
    fuddle
    I'm thrilled for your tiredness. Can we attribute it to fulfillment?

All ok here. The house progress has stopped because we're now relying on trades, although DH still has to finish my bedroom door and we've redecorating to do but we aren't as there is still an awful lot of mess to come.

DH and I have given away our children to their gran for the weekend, completely unselfishly mind you , because we're off to York for a break. No, not in the caravan... we're having a hotel treat. We're both just shattered. It's been a non stop roller coaster for so long with one thing or another. The caravan is fab but it's also hard work. So, she's staying in her storage place and we're off southwards to comfort and food in the next couple of hours. We're unashamedly indulging but for that I just cannot apologise.

posted again as deleted by mistake. It's ok, silvasava isn't having a moment.

Just catching up. Hester? Boat! I must get on your blog! x

• karcher
    • By karcher 10th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 6,008 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm thrilled for your tiredness. Can we attribute it to fulfillment?

All ok here. The house progress has stopped because we're now relying on trades, although DH still has to finish my bedroom door and we've redecorating to do but we aren't as there is still an awful lot of mess to come.

DH and I have given away our children to their gran for the weekend, completely unselfishly mind you , because we're off to York for a break. No, not in the caravan... we're having a hotel treat. We're both just shattered. It's been a non stop roller coaster for so long with one thing or another. The caravan is fab but it's also hard work. So, she's staying in her storage place and we're off southwards to comfort and food in the next couple of hours. We're unashamedly indulging but for that I just cannot apologise.

posted again as deleted by mistake. It's ok, silvasava isn't having a moment.

Just catching up. Hester? Boat! I must get on your blog! x
    Originally posted by fuddle
    I thought I was losing the plot

I'd just posted to say good for you Fuddle you deserve a break and have a fantastic time ...

Next thing I know your post has disappeared and i was wondering if I'd imagined it during a senior moment

The relief when I saw it reposted was vast
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 11,267 Posts
    • 142,210 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You can attribute the tiredness to anything you want FUDS but the real truth is that a certain young rascally rogue has his Oma so enthralled that she is putty in his small (and usually sticky) hands and is constitutionally incapable of saying 'no' to any request he makes.....I love him SO!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3,440 Posts
    • 25,546 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds am v.jealous, I luurve York! Have a fab time xx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 45,867 Thanks
    silvasava
    Karcher - I posted after Fuddle's but my post has come out before hers! Don't know what's happened there - am I in a parallel universe????
    Last edited by silvasava; 10-03-2017 at 4:07 PM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 45,388 Thanks
    Jazee
    Yep, must be a parallel universe!

I love York too, one of the reasons we moved north. Was there yesterday but that was to take DH to hospital.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Apr £0 Total £3744.41/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £232.44/£365
    Money spent on garden £79.06

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 126,482 Thanks
    mardatha
    I went to York once, was supposed to be for 3 days but we lasted a day. It was the busiest place I have ever seen in my life lol and I got fedup of being knocked off the pavement into the road. We came home - via the moors and Whitby, they were both much easier to cope with than York
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 42,329 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I like York, but I have barely visited for leisure reasons, just three times, I think, - a lot of work related visits though.
    Two separate organisations I worked for ran regular training days there. One set of training was in a lovely old church hall in the city centre, the other was way out on a trading estate. No prizes for guessing which was the favourite.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 20,860 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I was brought up in York. Have no relatives living there now so have not been there for about 20 years.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 2,768 Posts
    • 32,206 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Have a great time Fuddle.
    The car is almost packed, you'd think we were going away for a month instead of just overnight, but until I get on board and have a recce I have no idea what's needed, there is bedding but it will be damp so I'm taking some up and bringing back what's there.
    I know there is some cleaning stuff, but not sure exactly what.
    I'm taking 2 plates, 2 mugs, 2 knives, forks and spoons, salt & pepper and a frying pan.
    Also bread, butter, soup, beans, bacon and eggs, tea, coffee & milk.
    If all else fails we can have a cuppa and a fryup!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 45,388 Thanks
    Jazee
    Sounds like a plan Hester, have fun.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Apr £0 Total £3744.41/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £232.44/£365
    Money spent on garden £79.06

• karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 6,008 Thanks
    karcher
    Have a great time Hester
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 11th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 5,299 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Gosh...a cup of tea and a fry-up on a boat sounds bliss!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 11th Mar 17, 6:37 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 20,860 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Well I feel like saying good morning Because our electric went off just after midnight and they have just put it back on. We are on a temporary supply could be a couple of weeks or so until we get the proper supply back on the proper supply.

It turned out that the box that the entire supply to our part of the flats comes into the building blew last night. The building has been rewired but not all the gubbins in what we used to call the machine room when I was working. That's when I was a warden of sheltered housing not nursing.

You can imagine what it is like when you think back to 1950. Chances are the only thing in the kitchen that would have needed electricity would have been the oven. There would have been the lights and the two bar electric fire on the wall. Even at midnight we had two light on, two computer, DS was in the shower so the useless fan heater in there and the shower is electric, a fridge freezer, a fridge & a freezer.

If it did not go off at midnight it would have been the power surge needed to switch on 24 storage radiators in the six flats in our part of the building.

DS had not been in the shower long a minute or two. He said he had just taken the top off the shampoo. Good job he had not put it on.

We have a generator outside the end of the flats. I hope we don't have it for weeks because they have to get a contractor to come and rewire everything. It looks like a big job.

We had to call the housing association to get access to the machine room. I was given a thorough telling off for calling Electricity North West. I felt like a very naughty two year old.

There was nothing they could have done they would probably have not come out until morning and apparently there could have been a fire if the other flats had been on all night. I think we may have had a narrow escape.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 11th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,440 Posts
    • 25,546 Thanks
    Floss
    NM maybe you might get some better heating??
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 4:30 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 6,008 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm in the wide awake club

For some reason I seem to wake between 4 and 5am every morning. I'm sure something must be waking me up but no idea what. I have a feeling it may be the neighbours but can't be sure...i just find it strange that I wake almost nightly at the same time?

Really want to be fast asleep but not holding out much hope of getting back to sleep any time soon

Oh well...maybe I'll have a cup of tea instead.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 17, 8:17 AM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 126,482 Thanks
    mardatha
    That sounds like low cortisol or low blood sugar or something like that. The body is at it's lowest ebb at 4am. What if you woke up and grabbed a drink of milk and a biscuit karcher? They tell us on the Addisons groups that if we wake up at 4am it's because the body is too low in cortisol and it wakes you up as a survival mechanism- isn't cortisol with you but might be something else like blood sugar.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

590Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin